Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question for you guys: I did a moderate amount of flying this year, and was targeted for 6 months of Delta Gold which ends in February of 2017. It's been pretty nice, to be honest, and the ability to switch my flight whenever I want is pretty great and convenient. I'm going to end up finishing the year with 52 segments on Delta (although can probably push that to 56 with another trip I have planned). I'm not sure exactly, but I'm probably going to fall a bit short of the dollar goal of $6k (probably less than $1k). Is it worth it for me to try to hit gold for next year instead of settling for Silver? I only really started flying a lot in August of this year and will have a similar schedule next year, with the caveat that I may move to a city where it's better for my to fly American, which I should know within the next few weeks. If that's the case, should I try to match status over at American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like I'm finishing up the year with 60 segments and $5300 spent on Delta. I'm boned right? Can I buy $700 worth of Delta gift cards to get gold or something?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 12, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like I'm finishing up the year with 60 segments and $5300 spent on Delta. I'm boned right? Can I buy $700 worth of Delta gift cards to get gold or something?

I'm assuming the answer to this is "No, and that's dumb?"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm currently Gold on Delta. There's a good chance I'm going to be moving to Philadelphia next summer, which is an American hub and has a fairly short (600 mile), direct flight I might be taking frequently (every 1-2 weeks) for a bit. This is a bad situation to be in, as I won't be racking up segments or miles, correct? American also seems to not care about segments for their match, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i fly airplanes posted:

You're going to have to be specific about where you're flying to. Is direct flight the only option? If so, you may not have a choice. And if your employer is paying, you should be OK with the nonstop pricing premium.

There's a big problem with AA for you: no free upgrades Golds/Platinums for routes over 500 miles, you must use 500-mile upgrades which cost $ or are earned from flying over distances.

And correct, the AA challenge is EQM only. Personally, I don't like AA at all as a program, and their customer service is horrid. AAvoid as much as possible.

Yup. In Seattle was well. I like it. :) Seeing agents speak French for the CDG flight from SLC was also a highlight. :D

Ugh, that sounds worse than I thought. The route would be Philly to Louisville. I'd be paying for this out of pocket, so no employer to worry about. I'd keep flying delta but the direct flight sounds so great after dealing with connections for the past 6 months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Midjack posted:

Delta domestic flights eating a ground stop currently due to their computers loving up.

Sitting here in Denver. It's not looking good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Same in Los Angeles. Things finally started moving though. A bunch of flights have started boarding.

Fffff canceled.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Booked out at 6am tomorrow. Christ what a cluster.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I posted about this a few months back, but now my FF status for the year cleared up. I currently live in the Midwest, and began traveling to Louisville, KY about every 2 weeks out of pocket midway through last year. Between that and some business travel, I racked up 60 segments on Delta for the year, but was just short of the minimum spend for Gold, so I'm stuck with Silver this year. I've got a few more months of this, at which point I'll be moving to Philadelphia (AA hub), and will have to travel from PHL - SDF every week or two (again), at least until the end of the year when my SO is able to move to Philadelphia. The bright side of this is that there are direct flights on American between the two, but unfortunately they won't always work out time wise, so I may be stuck making a connection. Anyone have any thoughts on how to best to travel between Philly and Louisville? Should I switch my travel to American Airlines starting now, or stick with Delta in Philly? Any credit cards I can get to make this transition easier?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've been flying into Minneapolis a lot lately and terminal 1 is ok but holy poo poo they must have passed all the sign design and positioning off onto the intern.

Minneapolis is the worst Delta hub.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i fly airplanes posted:

Absolutely not. Salt Lake City is way worse, by far. MSP is actually quite decent.

I don't fly through Salt Lake much, but for Minneapolis I'm still traumatized by the time I ran from the end of A to somewhere in F, in dress shoes, like a crazy person, only to have the plane pull away in front of me as I got there.

Minneapolis's layout is miserable compared to the greatness of Detroit.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 16, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LGA is the worst Delta hub BY FAR.

See, I exclude NYC airports from the competition for worst because they have an excuse.

Minneapolis has no excuse for its layout.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So for AA Platinum/Gold, do you only get upgraded if you use the vouchers, or do the vouchers just give you a guaranteed upgrade?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arzakon posted:

Thanks, hopefully I can fine one segment to upgrade and even if its 100K+ miles it will probably be worth it to me. I was going to have a nice relaxing $400 flight to Hong Kong for dim sum, cycling, and miles (maybe in that order) and that turned into SEA-HKG-SEA-DTW-GRU-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA in 20 days. If I wasn't prepaid on my hotel in HK I'd consider cancelling that. With my rollover I'll make Platinum just on this ticket, and I haven't even started hitting Amex tiers yet.

:psyduck: Wait you're doing this on purpose?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i fly airplanes posted:

These transatlantic fares have been absolutely insane as of late. I saw NYC to Paris for around $400 a few weeks ago.

These are just for travel now, right? Summer fares seem to be the standard prices.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta you're going to connect through ATL (what), MSP (lots of backtracking), or DTW (again, not a great location). I love Delta more than the next guy but I'd trade some of the service level benefits of DL for actually getting me to my destination faster through... ORD.

It's too early in the morning for jokes. Granted there's some great food there, so you'll at least be comfortable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I flew 60 segments on Delta last year but missed the 6k spend by $500. I'm boned for silver versus gold right? They won't have pity on me?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I sure hope not. Your cost per segment was below $100?

creationist believer posted:

If they let people who spend less than $6,000 before taxes on airfare get status benefits, what's next? Letting people dressed in business casual sit in first class?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've become flyertalk

Man, this long distance relationship is even worse than I thought it'd be. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I had an awesome flight in beautiful weather out of Boston on Sunday and was glued to the window during the whole climb-out.

The autistic part of me loves flying in/out of Chicago at night because of how well you can see the city grid lit up.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I cannot wait until the last CRJ2 is retired.

The rear end in a top hat in me takes secret pleasure in knowing that anyone who bring even a slightly large roller bag has to check it on CRJs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What are you getting out of this adventure, other than a high probability of a DVT?

Edit: In a plane postin about planes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just added DTW - Get halfway to your destination - DTW to my list of travel experiences. Apparently something broke on the plane and they didn't want to leave it stranded not in Detroit. After being stuck in Delta's system wide shutdown earlier this year maybe it's a sign.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arzakon posted:

I just added pass out on the floor at DTW to mine.

I'm part of this crazy thing?

Get the brussel sprout pizza at Bigalora.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got my first upgrade to first class since dropping to Silver on Delta.

Just required me to be on a 1030pm flight that got delayed until 3am.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Last weekend I got delayed out of Detroit by three hours, took off, had to return to Detroit, switch planes, sit on the runway, and get in 5 hours late. On the return trip my 10pm flight out of Detroit got delayed until 3am.

I'm flying through Detroit again next weekend. Hopefully things don't keep on melting down for Delta.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason to choose American over Delta for their middle tier status? I like Delta's comfort plus seats for being closer to the front.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 10, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Water Resistant posted:

Yeah, they may have had the right, but it's poo poo customer service. They should have picked someone else and/or paid way more to get someone else to volunteer.

Though I'm also surprised that no one volunteered for $800 plus hotel plus meals. I've volunteered for less.

It was a Sunday flight, so I'm not surprised. $400 to arrive 2 hours later on a Friday? Sure. $800 to miss a day of work/have to cancel patients? No thanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm Group 6 tomorrow. I hate AA.

I've never been surprised by a go-around. Usually you can tell when things are going a little bit wrong (or I fly in to the same airport far too many times).

Most airport terminals are just not designed for the number of seats available on current aircraft. The 737-800 and A320 are 160-175 passenger aircraft and are by far the most common types in use today at major airports. Throw in some 757s and A321s as well in the ~200 seat class. Thirty years ago, there were mostly 737-200s and DC-9-30s (105 passengers), DC-9-50s (120 passengers), 727-200s (135 passengers), and early MD-80 variants at about 150 seats. Plus, load factors are way up. If I look at the gatehouses even in a relatively new built terminal like Logan terminal A, they're designed with seating for 100-150. People are naturally going to take up a bunch of space

One of the segments I fly most commonly will occasionally have a CRJ-200.

:sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does Delta offer free upgrades to comfort plus on international routes to Europe?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes. PMs and DMs post immediately, if there's inventory GMs post 72 hours before and FO post 24 hours.

Nice! That includes partners that are traveling with you now, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Noctone posted:

If you rented through Avis by choice then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Just rented a car through them in Milan for July. Should I be worried?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I'm sorry to hear this my airport dwelling brotha.

This is why we carry the holy amex platinum or the regaled chase sapphire preferred. For those worthy enough the vaunted "really nice" expense account. None can make us whole, but they make us feel a lot better about ourselves.

I can use these cards during delays? For reasons other than for buying beer to drown my anger?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Immanentized posted:

Lounge access, broh.

And a travel concierge if you booked with the card.

I've got a CSR but haven't actually signed up for priority pass. Iirc, PP lounges were kind of annoying to find/get to in places.

Motronic posted:

Yep. As mentioned lounge access. But also $500/night for accommodations and food for delays longer than 6 hours.

This I need to look in to more.

Out of curiosity, do any cards give you access to AA lounges? I'm a Delta guy now but may be switching to AA.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 24, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Every time I read one of these itineraries I thank my lucky stars I didn't end up in consulting.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bolind posted:

Flying out (economy, vacation, short haul) and my wife was supposed to go as well but had to bail due to illness. Went to the counter and politely informed them that she wouldn't be making it. Nice agent thanked me and said: "Let me check you in." I thought I was, but here I am in exit row window. I the land of the VBITs, the man with exit row window is king.

Condolences on your divorce. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Delta: 25k MQMs, 24 MQS, $2300 MQD. Only one trip for business in there, and a few rewards flights, so I'm low compared to last year. FF programs are not made for short flights to/from the Midwest. :(

Now I just have to figure out whether I like Delta enough to stick with them even though I'm moving to Philadelphia, an AA hub. Is American going to be terribly different with mid-tier status (Delta Gold)?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

porkface posted:

Nah these are hidden city throwaway stops. Company doesn't require them, however the booking agency likes them because money saved is a big part of their bottom line with us.

Our travel policy says to attempt to use them if the savings is >$500 but it should be fairly easy to push back. I just wanted to know how badly they will gently caress me if I no-show for a few extra legs. Would they deny future bookings, or cancel mileage?

For a start they can deny you boarding for your return trip and strand you.

What kind of legitimate booking agency does this?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking at America FF levels. Do I have this right?

1. AA Platinum gets you MCE (equivalent of Delta Comfort Plus?) at booking versus as an upgrade, like on Delta.
2. For AA Platinum/Gold, I'll never get an upgrade on my most common flight (PHL - SDF), since it's just over 500 miles.
3. I'd need to use 2 upgrade tickets for that flight, since each ticket only counts for 500 miles.
4. I'll need to fly PHL-SDF 50x round trip to qualify for Platinum for next year (not counting other travel).

Do I have all of that right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is "priority" seating or any other benefit with any of the American Airlines credit cards worth it? Looks like I'm going to be trying to do a status match for American. Is it similar to the Delta credit cards, which give you zone 1 but not Sky (or whatever the American equivalent is)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You guys are making me second guess switching, although going from connections to direct flights is hard to pass up.