Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I guess it's nice if they are checking it through, which is pretty common if they are asking for volunteers to check. Saves you the $25 but now there is a risk of losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

sellouts posted:

Sure what's your question about it?

Platinum is great but depending on your routes upgrades may range from likely to impossible. With credit cards now giving a free bag and early boarding in most cases the biggest benefit is 2x RDM if you care about that sort of thing.

Geez, the platinum AA card is free the first year and only $95 after that. At $25 a checked bag, and it applying to your traveling companions, that pays off super fast.

I'm kind of bummed actually because I have an AA flight on Monday and wish I had signed up. But you need to have it 7 days prior.

(Had wrong price.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 31, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Not sure about that airport, but most lounges don't have showers available. However, some airports have hotels on site (though outside security) which charge a reasonable hourly rate. Hyderabad's is great for a quick shower or nap.

Some airports that cater to transit passengers have standalone showers. Like Dubai, it's just like the bathrooms, but a free shower room. And Hong Kong has a "shower and relaxation lounge" which was a few bucks and just gets you a shower.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to have Priority Pass as a benefit of one of my cards, but it only included two free lounge accesses and then you had to pay $25 or so. Did that change?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, any advice on going East or West? I'm getting options to do both, some two-hops and some three in both directions. I think the advantage to going East is that I could take one of the Gulf carriers on a two hop, but the layovers and times seem pretty brutal for the most part.

I've done both. It's much shorter going West. East via Dubai is two 14 hours flights. West is a 14 hour flight (LAX-SYD) and a 6 hour one (NYC-LAX).

I did it because I wanted to see Dubai, and because I added a stopover in Singapore. But probably wouldn't go that way again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The bus to and from the airport in Madrid has free fast wifi. That was a bit of a shocker to me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Belldandy posted:

There are truly no good US based business airlines left. :(
Southwest?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Belldandy posted:

Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, etc. I wouldn't classify as a good business airline as many of them lack hubs, intl. routes, and carrier partnerships.
Oops, I actually thought it said airline businesses, not business airlines. Southwest is the former, not the latter.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Besides this thread, everyone on the internet seems to be into backpacks/shoulder bags over wheeled bags but it just didn't work well for me. 90% of the time I'm schlepping a bag around is in airports and a wheeled bag is so much better there. Plus it's hard to carry a shoulder bag and a small backpack at the same time.

Yeah it sucks to drag a wheeled bag over cobblestones, when that comes up, but at least you don't end up with sore shoulders.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ouch, that's like a grand.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Frequent travel by car doesn't get you any mileage. Ugh, 20 hours in the last 4 days.
They like us to use a rental car if it's cheaper, and at a $0.56 per mile rate, it's very often cheaper. And that gets you rental car points at least.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our company used to have a nation-wide negotiated fuel rate at Hertz. I used our rate for a vacation trip in Hawaii and the negotiated rate was less than the gas station rate. Too bad they wised up since then.

Another scam is when they charge 20% airport taxes on top of the per gallon fuel rate.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

caberham posted:

Apps
Candy Crush - pack in a PS Vita if you like video games. Or play old titles rereleased like Chrono trigger on your ipad.

Games tend to kill my iPhone battery, even though they are usually a good choice for flights. So getting a dedicated game system is good advice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kansas posted:

Really the systems are so easy to game in so many ways. You want the 7am UA but your tool is incesent about taking the 7:30am AA? Start your search from 3am and find out the computer only searches for alternates within 4hours of your *requested* departure time.

Yeah, this is the easiest way to game our system. The most strict filter options are aimed at people who have to go somewhere for a meeting at a specific time with no stayover, so it's only a two hour window. They ask you to not use that filter if you don't really need it, but don't enforce that, and it's pretty easy to dial in a specific flight unless you are leaving from a hub.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I think the common wisdom is that you should probably get Global Entry instead, if you are located near one of their interview centers. If not, Global Entry is a pain so just get Precheck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Agreed. Not only that but its surprising that even works. I remember I get set up for my first international business trip a lot sooner than expected and had to rush my passport with the extra fees and stuff. It was basically

"I don't have a passport yet."

"Well, you better get that fixed quick."

I love all the international travel I do though.

Yeah, there's a reason that express passport services are a thing. And compared to the price of an international plane ticket, the two or three hundred dollar fee is meaningless.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

We already are "encouraged" to put as much as possible on the corporate card. I'm not a fan of it, but looking at it from the company perspective (makes auditing easier, makes expense reporting easier, and gives them more clout when negotiating with vendors) I can't bitch about it too much. Now, if they started demanding to keep my hotel/airline points that would be a dealbreaker. Though Delta seems hell bent to not give me many points anymore to begin with.

The one advantage for employees to a mandatory corporate card is that the company never owes you money. I know some frequent travellers are hardcore about that, even taking cash advances against their Amex to pay tips and such. Works even better if the company is wholly responsible for the corporate card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

taco show posted:

Probably only tangentially related to many of us, but SAP just bought Concur

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/09/18/sap-buys-concur-technologies-for-8-3-billion/

I wonder of they're going to do anything interesting with Tripit now, too.

I work tangentially to this field, and I think this deal is mainly about improving SAP's enterprise expense reporting. IBM left the market and so there are some Fortune 50 companies out there that need a new tool.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I don't even understand the thought process of asking about switching if you aren't offering a comparable or better seat.
"What's the harm in asking?"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems like you are paying an awful lot to get walls around your seat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I've seen it posted all over and on Facebook.

I think the hook was the photo of him splayed out on the full sized bed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mackieman posted:

SPG Gold is....bordering on useless.

The welcome gift is "something", and in theory the room upgrade is nice.

Platinum is obviously better but it requires a lot more stays.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mackieman posted:

Not sure how that's a, "FlyerTalk" response, but I have been a member there for years, though I don't use it much anymore, so maybe the bad habits rubbed off? :confused:

It's the tendency to describe all programs that are less than the top tier as pointless and worthless.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Speaking of FlyerTalk, someone on my flight yesterday had a bag in the overhead bin with a laminated "FlyerTalk Priority" tag on it. Is that just a way to identify that they're a member of FlyerTalk, or is it some attempt to trick the airlines into giving better baggage handling service?

http://www.theman1000.com/2012/02/14/flyertalk-luggage-tags/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

air- posted:

SPG or Hyatt. HHonors is a loving joke.

SPG is nice but they do tend to keep making desirable properties more points to reimburse. Like anything in a big city is probably 10k points. Something fancy is 20k. Which is a lot of points for one night.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my experience, Starwood is good if you are going to be in cities or airports. If you are along some random interstate or out at some corporate HQ in the middle of nowhere, there's probably not going to be an Starwood property.

They also have pretty good international coverage, especially at the high end. A lot of the old classic hotels are now Westins or Sheratons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Is silver car the company that rents all audis? Some people at my company got a big discount and rented some A4s a while back but had to return them when some client employee complained about consultants wasting money.

It was actually the cheapest deal they could find that month but perception is reality so they back to hertz or whatever.

Reminds me of when domestic First class is cheaper than Coach (I'm not sure why but this sometimes happens in our system), but no one ever complains about someone buying Coach so it's the safe option.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The only time I've heard of companies requiring rooms to be shared was at big conventions (like CES currently going on) where they have a lot of staff on site (who aren't regular travellers) and rooms are very pricey. It's still cheaping out though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EWR long term self-park is $18 a day. Ridiculous considering you can get $10 per day valet that's actually closer to the terminals than the long-term lot. Yes, it feels like you are dropping your car off at a chop-shop, but they do the job.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone ever flown Aeroflot premium economy? It's only a little more than the other carrier's economy, like $1100 to Europe via Moscow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lelorox posted:

Does it make sense for me to get a Airline credit card for travel to gain access to lounges etc?

Since they all cost quite a lot ($350 or so), depends on how much you like lounges.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate backpacks. The utility isn't very high to me - just bring a briefcase and a small bag. They make you look like a child, especially if you are young.

I don't like backpacks, but when you need to carry two developer laptops that are bulky and heavy, there's not many better options. Something with a single strap starts to get painful after a block or two.

There's also sometimes an advantage to looking like a college student when you are carrying around five grand in laptops in an urban area.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The real problem is when the company rejects your reimbursement for internet because it's already included in the room rate.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, using AA points for BA travel from the US to Europe is quite the joke. 40k points + $710 in fees for a ticket that will cost you $833 in cash. No wonder every single flight is available for redemptions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can't imagine if your business travel regularly involved going through customs and you didn't have a magic pass to skip the line. If you are unlucky, you suddenly have an hour extra delay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's like a 45 min drive from Seattle to Everett.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I vaguely remember hearing that the megacorp I work for has negotiated reduced prices for particularly heavy city pairs with our preferred airline. But they aren't actually loaded into the flight reservation system, so we pay the listed price at the time of booking, and it's reconciled at the end of the year.

It does mean that any contracts where actual travel costs are billed are kind of a sham, but no one seems to care too much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would you buy a bag without wheels

It's the hip thing to do! Who wants to drag a wheeled bag around the cobblestone streets of Europe?

Over here in reality, the most you carry your bag is in airports and hotel hallways. And wheels work great.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AgrippaNothing posted:

Wheeled luggage looks out of place on a dirigible.

True, in the olden days they didn't have wheels or shoulder straps.

Just porters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PyRosflam posted:

The united States uses Chip and Sign. Europe uses Chip and Pin. While all new cards from AMX will have chips, the PIN will not work :(

From what I've heard, that's mainly a problem with stuff like vending and ticket machines. Actual stores and restaurants will just manage to deal with chip and sign by having you sign something.