Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

Anybody have any experience with any if the $100 range noise canceling headphones? Don't think I can stomach paying for Bose cans. This is obviously for primarily plane travel

What is your main goal? Noise suppression or noise suppression while being able to listen to stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

Anybody have any experience with any if the $100 range noise canceling headphones? Don't think I can stomach paying for Bose cans. This is obviously for primarily plane travel

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC23-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B004K09H32

I have these, and they are OK. I greatly prefer to use my Sennheiser noise canceling headphones, but they aren't quite in range of a $100 budget.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Noise isolation (think of the concept of putting in ear plugs) vs actively canceling noise using other noise are two different things. The Bose QC20/QC25 work well for actively cancelling noise and being comfortable, except actively cancelling noise means they sound like poo poo, so that's why I don't leave home without my Klipsch Image x10 in ears.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
For sleeping I've found the cheapest in ear foam ones work just as well. I have an old Bose QC15 and it doesn't block out midrange tones (by design I think) but sadly that includes screaming babies so I ended up wearing foam plugs too. I sleep best with just plugs and travel sickness pills.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This thread has some very knowledgeable regulars who can provide good advice on headphones/headsets/IEMs for travel. Please read the OP, though.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Forgot about that thread! One part of the OP is very relevant to what I had in mind on my last post:

quote:

Noise cancelling is not designed to stop chatter or other sporadic noises. Noise cancelling is designed to stop constant noises such as the hum of a plane, or a bus. Even so, many high isolation options exist that would suit the same purpose without paying the “technology tax” of noise cancelling. 

In addition, the music ends up sounding really artificial to me when noise cancellation is applied, and I would much rather have isolation accomplished via well fitting tips from in ear monitors. I use dual flange ones, but you could even go as far as having custom molded ones made by an audiologist.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Midjack posted:

AMX Chip cards

ahahahahahahahahha

The united States uses Chip and Sign. Europe uses Chip and Pin. While all new cards from AMX will have chips, the PIN will not work :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The problem I've had with active noise canceling headphones, or at least my QC3s, is that they're uncomfortable for me if you're playing music below a certain volume level, or if you're just wearing them for noise reduction and no music at all.

Without music playing (or at low volumes), the "negative-noise" coming out of the headphones means that you still feel sound pressure on your ears but you are actually perceiving less sound than you were before. Maybe it is a personal thing, but confusing my brain like this gives me a headache like no other.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

The united States uses Chip and Sign. Europe uses Chip and Pin. While all new cards from AMX will have chips, the PIN will not work :(

More laffing at Amex deviating from whatever the contract specifies for the card.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The liability shift for transactions conducted via magstripe comes October 1 2015 so have fun with that chipless corp card in the US too.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

The liability shift for transactions conducted via magstripe comes October 1 2015 so have fun with that chipless corp card in the US too.

The liability shift is to the least secure party between the card issuer and the merchant, there is no change at all from a customer perspective.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Without music playing (or at low volumes), the "negative-noise" coming out of the headphones means that you still feel sound pressure on your ears but you are actually perceiving less sound than you were before. Maybe it is a personal thing, but confusing my brain like this gives me a headache like no other.

I would agree with this. When I turn my Sennheisers on, but don't have them plugged into my phone/tablet yet, there is a noticeable "hum". I've never gotten a headache from it though. It's less than the ambient noise inside the plane, but its still there. You don't really get the benefit of noise canceling headphones until you're listening to something. On a long flight, the difference between having to crank up whatever you are listening to or watching to overcome the ambient noise compared to a good set of noise canceling headphones and listening at a lower volume is TREMENDOUS.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What model of Sennheisers do you have?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

What model of Sennheisers do you have?

PXC 450

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Bought some new buds. Thanks for the advice. Went with the Shure SE215s. They come with comply tips which did a great job on my next flight

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just took the jump to head back to a travel job. Not a weekly thing like when I consulted, but multiple international trips a year for 1-2week each. Couple of questions:

Should I renew my passport before doing my chinese visa application? I've heard business visas are now 10 years in length, but is that limited if my passport doesn't have 10 years left on it?

Global entry? Worth it? I might have 3-4 trips a year at least in the short term.

Is there any actual, checked luggage, that is worth the price paid? I've been burned in the past on poo poo that didn't really hold up.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

FunOne posted:

Global entry? Worth it? I might have 3-4 trips a year at least in the short term.

The thread title really should say "buy Global Entry/Precheck". There's pretty much no excuse not to, and I have no sympathy for business travelers without it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

Just took the jump to head back to a travel job. Not a weekly thing like when I consulted, but multiple international trips a year for 1-2week each. Couple of questions:

Should I renew my passport before doing my chinese visa application? I've heard business visas are now 10 years in length, but is that limited if my passport doesn't have 10 years left on it?

Is there any actual, checked luggage, that is worth the price paid? I've been burned in the past on poo poo that didn't really hold up.

The only reason to renew your passport is if you don't have enough pages left to support the visa. When your current passport with the visa expires, keep it with you for travel to China and you'll show your new, current passport plus the old passport with the valid visa for entry. My last two Chinese visas have been for one year, so I'm hoping to get the ten year when I renew in July. And yes, get Global Entry; it's not even a question or debate, just go get it.

And scroll back a few pages for a lengthy discussion on luggage.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Australia from a 2 week vacation. gently caress Australian Immigration, detained me and read my phone messages to see if I'm some sort of illegal.

Traveling for work is so much easier. But dealing with co-workers who don't gel with your travel habits suck though

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you pack your bag with instant noodles immigration knows you'll be going back.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

caberham posted:

Just got back from Australia from a 2 week vacation. gently caress Australian Immigration, detained me and read my phone messages to see if I'm some sort of illegal.

Sounds like your shoes didn't match your belt. Violate a social contract when traveling and don't be surprised when someone assumes you're an illegal.

May I suggest an ascot for next time?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's true I was carrying a large blue back pack and wearing travel dad khaki pants. If only I was some executive flying economy premium.

But getting my phone taken to another room and having immigration demand my password is really unsettling

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

caberham posted:

It's true I was carrying a large blue back pack and wearing travel dad khaki pants. If only I was some executive flying economy premium.

But getting my phone taken to another room and having immigration demand my password is really unsettling
Wow. I'd probably have to call my employer before agreeing to that, considering my work phone has client information and emails.

Are you posting from prison, or did they decide that the dad khakis meant you weren't a major threat?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PyRosflam posted:

From what I've heard, that's mainly a problem with stuff like vending and ticket machines. Actual stores and restaurants will just manage to deal with chip and sign by having you sign something.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

From what I've heard, that's mainly a problem with stuff like vending and ticket machines. Actual stores and restaurants will just manage to deal with chip and sign by having you sign something.

Yup. I've traveled a lot in Canada with a chip and signature amex card, and the only place I had a problem with it was trying to pay at the pump at a gas station.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Wow. I'd probably have to call my employer before agreeing to that, considering my work phone has client information and emails.

Are you posting from prison, or did they decide that the dad khakis meant you weren't a major threat?

I'm home. But I wasn't allowed any outside contact. Just sat at the airport for an hour :suicide:

But yeah, my dad khakis check me out as OK.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

But dealing with co-workers who don't gel with your travel habits suck though

Traveling alone is so much better than traveling with a group for this reason. I've got a routine when I'm on travel and get irrationally annoyed when it gets screwed up due to being part of a group. Luckily only about 10-20% of my travel isn't solo.

Here's my passive aggressive hint for everybody I travel with: We'd get more sleep and everybody would be able to be less stressed and busy if we didn't have a loving 3 hour dinner every night.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Thoguh posted:

Traveling alone is so much better than traveling with a group for this reason. I've got a routine when I'm on travel and get irrationally annoyed when it gets screwed up due to being part of a group. Luckily only about 10-20% of my travel isn't solo.

Here's my passive aggressive hint for everybody I travel with: We'd get more sleep and everybody would be able to be less stressed and busy if we didn't have a loving 3 hour dinner every night.

Agreed, at least for business travel. I've had people ask about whether it sucks flying solo for business trips, but I like it so much better since I can do my own routine and not worry about meshing with other routines.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

We'd get more sleep and everybody would be able to be less stressed and busy if we didn't have a loving 3 hour dinner every night.

This bothers me too. A project a few years back was really bad about it and was kinda my saturation point. I started just attending like 1 per week, screw any career consequences, because I was hungover and stressed all week for almost no reason. I felt a ton better hitting the gym or just having quiet time and living some semblance of normal life versus yet another baccanal.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who has thoroughly read the terms for the upcoming Avios devaluation? I'm planning to redeem around 225k points and my concern is about making changes to date/times but keeping the ticketing class the same. Their current terms say you just pay a change fee as long as the classes stay the same and I'm trying to decipher if it'll stay this way, because I'd hate to get hosed over by both having to pay a fee and failing to account for the new mileage requirements. I'm sure I'll end up having to read the entire thing myself :(

e: Thanks BA...
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/club-changes/faqs

air- fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 13, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ObsidianBeast posted:

Agreed, at least for business travel.

Yeah, just for business. traveling alone on vacation blows.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

caberham posted:

You hope all they did was read your messages. If you've got an iOS device they could have made an unencrypted dump of the whole thing once you gave them the password. I would assume the same is true for other make and models as well.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ObsidianBeast posted:

Agreed, at least for business travel. I've had people ask about whether it sucks flying solo for business trips, but I like it so much better since I can do my own routine and not worry about meshing with other routines.

I used to all kinds of solo business travel, and it was great. I could go to dinner when and where I wanted, or I could just nerd out with a movie or netflix or something in my hotel room. For a while I was working with someone that felt the same way as me, and after work we were both content with sharing the car go do whatever we wanted on our own. Spending 8+ hours commuting and working with each other was enough.

Now though, being the boss, I only travel with the people I manage, and they always want to go get dinner. That usually means from the hours of 7:00 am to 7:00 pm I'm with the same group. And I love the people I work with, but when we are done for the day, thats it for me. I don't want to go right to dinner, and sit there for 2 hours while you guys have appetizers and drinks and bullshit around. I want to get Subway and go back to my room, and then maybe hit the gym or something.

Those Residence Inn commercials are dumb in my opinion, but they are correct: there are some people that get to travel for work, and some that have to travel for work. And as someone that has to travel for work (and I enjoy what I do), the "OMG I'M TRAVELING FOR WORK IT'S JUST LIKE A VACATION" people are annoying as gently caress.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also how somehow you always lose a half hour waiting for people in the lobby.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

smackfu posted:

This isn't about travel per se, but it bothers me so much I have to say something. A friend and I instituted a policy about this poo poo. Every day, we'd leave for lunch at 11:30 am, anyone who wanted to come was welcome but they had to be there at 11:30, no requests for delay, nothing. There was a lot of crying about anti-social behavior and "you guys don't like us" and similar bullshit. But every time someone did join us it invariably ended with "whoa, lunch only took an hour?"

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

If I do an after work dinner with my crew, we go right from work. If you give them the chance to go back to the hotel and do whatever for 30-40 minutes before meeting in the lobby, that turns into an hour or more, because they had to call/facetime/text/skype with someone, or they wanted to finish up the episode of TV they were watching, or whatever else came up. It means an early dinner sometimes, but it also means I get back to my room before 9:00 pm.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh my God I thought I was the only one who didn't like dinner/drinks after work travel meetings! People think I'm weird when after we are done for the day, I just want to go back to the hotel and relax.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I enjoy bullshitting with another person every so often at an informal place and then maybe moving to a microbrew a little bit later since we don't have to drive anywhere that night.

I dislike pseudo formal dinners with multiple managers where we have to get apps, entrees, desserts, and then oh another bottle of wine to impress people! as the dinner moves into its fourth hour, the wooden chair is hellishly uncomfortable after a 7 hour flight and I just want to lay down and nobody looks like they are having fun and just trying to outlast each other for some goddamn stupid reason.

I like kicking it on the beach when the area has a suitable beach, after a meeting. Sometimes other people join and its pretty relaxing. Hotel rooms are a little claustrophobic for me, but on a day of a long flight I pretty much just want to hit the hay for sure.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 13, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I dislike pseudo formal dinners with multiple managers where we have to get apps, entrees, desserts, and then oh another bottle of wine to impress people! as the dinner moves into its fourth hour, the wooden chair is hellishly uncomfortable after a 7 hour flight and I just want to lay down and nobody looks like they are having fun and just trying to outlast each other for some goddamn stupid reason.

We have to do some group dinner when I go out to Vegas later this week and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna induce vomiting or something so I can be excused. I also am "that guy" who absofuckinglutely makes sure that the server understands we need separate checks, because gently caress you I am not subsidizing your alcoholism with money I can expense for a meal that isn't some chain (albeit, nice) steakhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Someone please help me. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Long story short: I co-own a business. We agreed all normal flights would be paid for by our company, but anything above that we'd pay the difference out of pocket.

I recently injured my back pretty bad - two disc herniations, disc fracture, etc. I decided for my round trip flight to Europe I'd upgrade myself to Business once I booked the flight.

During the booking process the United's website clearly said "you may upgrade this flight after booking". Great.

I book it and...no option to upgrade whatsoever. It led to this insane exchange on Twitter where they offer to waitlist me then say they can't waitlist me:

I'm literally asking them to TAKE MY MONEY. What can I do at this point?