Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

When Concur is looking attractive I wonder what abuse you’ve been subjected to at previous jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we had a time and expense reporting system built off of excel macros that had to be run in compatibility mode and did not allow for more than 20 expense lines to be submitted in any given week. also for a very long time we had to mail in or turn in all our physical receipts. i think we were allowed to email receipts in about 2017 or so but that was through email to our accounting admin.

note that we are only using it for expense reporting, i don't have to touch its known hideous travel booking poo poo

mein gott

I'm so sorry. We're on Tripactions, and everything must be booked via Tripactions, as well as paid via the TA card. So no credit card points, just the airline FF miles.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Packing your suit in your luggage is asking for it to get lost by Turkish airlines while on your way to Manila for a wedding. I just carry a garment bag as a personal item when going to a wedding now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

I've debated taking Turkish the long way around to Manila for the suspiciously cheap business class fare. How long did it take them to get you your bag? How was it otherwise?

I went ARN-IST-HKG on a suspiciously cheap business class fare, and then took Cathay Pacific HKG-MNL because I wanted to hang out in Hong Kong for a week instead of Manila. It took them 6 days to get it to me since it was corralled in a huge lost luggage area in Istanbul.

I had gotten a suit made to measure a year before in HK, and basically went to the same place and said “hey can you turn around a suit in 24 hrs with the same measurements you ja” which they did for a price. Finding size 13 dress shoes was a lot harder tho and a local goon helped me quest to find them.

They finally got the bag to HK but I was already in Manila by the time, so they sent it to the airport and I had to sit in horrendous traffic an extra time just to pick it up since they needed
me to clear it through customs.

So yeah, wedding clothes go carryon for me now.

Good experience otherwise on their lie flatbut this was like 10 years ago. Oh yeah they loaded a 777 through air stairs which was dumb

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Flew SFO-RDU today for work for the first time in aaaagees, TripActions shows my last work trip in September. I gate-checked my rollaboard because I've got a back issue that makes lifting it in the overhead not so fun. Unfortunately it was a "check to your final destination" deal, which i'm like, direct flight, how bad could it be? I'll just wait like an extra 10 min, no biggie. Plus if they lose it I have an airtag in it and also a change of clothes in my backpack because, see above, i'm paranoid as gently caress now.

Welp, RDU ground ops managed to take 45 mins to get an A320 full of luggage to the carousel.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My rollaboard I got from a kickstarter is on its last legs and I need to get a new one. My wife is doing most of my luggage schlepping right now and has declared it must be a 4 wheel version to be easy to navigate with her 4 wheel.

What’s the goon recommended carryon bag with 4 wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

taco show posted:

When I worked at a hip (and cash rich) software company where we threw a big week-long conference every year, those of us staffing booths could REQUEST to share a room if we really really wanted to go to the conference. We could pick our roommates.

It was kind of hosed up looking back on it? The conference was a work hard, party harder vibe and we were all hot 20-something salespeople with no-holds barred AMEX limits (“happy hour for a customer!”)… also there were no gender restrictions on roommate choices as long as both people agreed. lol.

Anyway, don’t let people share rooms, I lived that life and it’s a recipe for disaster.

When I was at Twitch they never said if you wanted to go to reinvent or twitchcon or PAX you had to share, but there was a roommate column in the signup spreadsheet. I just always left it blank or put “nobody” and my manager backed me up 100%.

loving nope on sharing rooms on work trips ever. Hell my first trip with a hip company way back I had to share a king sized bed with my buddy, not even a separate double bed.

Anyway our work kickoff this summer is thankfully separate rooms by default, but there’s some unclear incentive (a “special surprise”) if you share a room with a coworker.