Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
E: FB! :argh:

The Airgoons are doing a ARG let's play over at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524, and there's going to be at least one Arma 3 tie-in for goons to join in on! The extremely truncated story is that the world has been in all-out war along cold war lines, and somehow the nukes aren't flying yet. The Chinese PLA invaded South Africa, and are using it as a base to invade South America. Using a combination of forums ARG roleplay and tie-ins with simulator games like DCS World and Arma 3, we're part of a coalition of South American country's trying to push back against the invasion.

Come sign up for the Arma mission if you're interested! And you should join the DCS side of it too, the group is extremely welcoming to newcomers to the game or flight sims in general and all you need is the ~$50 SA map and a video game console controller(or a joystick+accoutrement if you're fancy) to join in, there are several free planes available.

Elendil004 posted:

At an undisclosed location aboard the HMS Agincourt.

Much like what has been going on in this thread, there are strong-willed men doing the same thing. Raid plans are formulated.

Elsewhere in the boat...

Keep a weather eye on the horizon folks. A couple of in-game days. October 13th in real time. Get your Arma 3 installs fired up boys...there's a green goose to cook.

Zephirum posted:

In the dead of night on 14 Feb 2010, the HMS Agincourt surfaces, and Task Force 223 makes their move.

It's time for our tie-in Arma 3 mission: OPERATION LANCET

:siren: We're running it October 13th at 7:00 PM CST (00:00 UTC) :siren:

OVERVIEW
The PLA Navy is using the Falklands as its primary hub of sealift operations to sustain combat in the South Atlantic. However, the small capacity of Port Arthur has bottlenecked the transfer of goods so ships are docked in temporary ports across the eastern coast.
The Choiseul Sound is currently holding transport ships belonging to the 6th Sustainment Task Group, who have deployed their own Marine Forces to garrison the isthmus surrounding Goose Green and Darwin.
This presents a unique opportunity. Since the Group is both far from other ground elements and from other naval elements, a commando team could sneak in and damage the vulnerable parked ships.

GAMEPLAN
Squadron X-RAY of the Royal Navy SBS will infiltrate the Goose Green area by boat and sabotage the transport ships stationed there.
Marines from the 1st Assault Group will also deploy to provide fire support as needed.

COMMON QUESTIONS
How will comms work? We're using Discord. In the future, if there's enough demand, maybe TFAR or ACRE...
ACE Medical? Not today! This will use ACE No Medical with the build-in Revive system.

CLICK HERE to sign up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jOSz0U-zNviZzIqRkLXsW3S2MP6s9Uc3nc9Rodi8o9o/edit?usp=sharing
MOD LIST HERE (and on the signup): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qdpp0swuz91xubhwfz3cu/Arma-3-Preset-Air-Goons-Afternoon-War.html?rlkey=m8en98d763vxejwlggqhn51of&dl=0
Yes the preview is ugly, but just drag and drop the downloaded HTML file into the Arma 3 Launcher.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Hahha, I can't believe that we posted the same recruitment pitch completely independently at the exact same time.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Hahha, I can't believe that we posted the same recruitment pitch completely independently at the exact same time.

:ohdear:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The changelog isn't up yet, nevertheless The new experimental changelog is here, and the vanilla Mi-8MT and UH-1H are now on Arma Reforger's experimental branch!

Notably this changelog includes a promise that the contents won't hit stable branch for at least one month, during which time the experimental branch will be updated multiple times, giving more time for feedback/testing and for modders to update their works. For an example of the latter:

quote:

In version 1.0, you'll find the commanding menu, though without AI commands. This will let you experiment with mods and use the menu for various custom actions you might want to create.
Also, there's another play-with-the-devs event in just under four hours, this time on Experimental branch and happening weekly on Thursdays until the 1.0 release happens.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 12, 2023

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The new Arma Reforger roadmap is here, over a year after the original was published (and almost a year after Bohemia Interactive admitted in Dev Report #18 that the original was defunct), with the milestones' contents shuffled around based on how long the leadership now expects the assets/features to take.

For example, the devs are making Ground Support 'practically 100%' by moving AI commanding and on-road driving back to the later Air Assault milestone; meaning that with the exception of "Player weapon resting in prone positions will be introduced" (that's on experimetal branch), everything else in the revised Ground Support is already on stable branch. Conversely, the "M16A2 carbine", UK-59L machine gun and the 2B14 and M252 mortars from Final Strike have been moved up to Air Assault, while the planned electrical system has been 'delayed' to Final Strike. Furthermore, "we will be continuously checking off features within the Roadmap to give you a quick overview of all completed features at any given time", so one can go here (currently image only, no text) to see what's in and whether they're on experimental or stable branches.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lmao. "let's shuffle things around and kick the can further down the road, so that we can see we're clearing sections of the roadmap for our investors!"

Typical upper-managment crap

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As per my post that you're replying to, they did move some stuff up -- some of the 'conveniently almost completed Ground Support' checklist consists of stuff that was originally under the Air Assault milestone ('why should these already-done weapons have to wait on other stuff that isn't?'), while other parts of the revised Air Assault are on stable and others on experimental...and as far as I know the only outside investor is Tencent. That said, the reason the milestones are only about how far away things are relative to each other:
https://twitter.com/klamacz/status/1712886940389781890

EDIT: In hindsight this is on me for making things look more sleight-of-hand; before this reveal the AI commanding and driving really were all that was left for big outstanding stuff in Ground Support.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 14, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Airgoons group is having another Arma session today in an hour and a half in support of the Long Afternoon War ARG Let's Play. Any goons are welcome to join us! See the quote below and discord link to participate

https://discord.com/invite/airgoons

Vahakyla posted:

ARMA 3 mission in the Long Afternoon War.

IRL time: 1600 UTC, Sunday the 5th November, 2023.

Ingame time: 0900 Local, 21st February, 2010.

Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jOSz0U-zNviZzIqRkLXsW3S2MP6s9Uc3nc9Rodi8o9o/edit#gid=92155697

Participation in the Discord is mandatory.

The Mountain Troop of the Chilean Lautaro Special Ops Brigade has monitored and held the radar site at Vasquez Glacier for days now. Despite it only being autumn, up there it is very cold even with occasional snowfall. The C-130s dropped the Roland SAM vehicle, and some Argentine Paratroopers trained in the use of it. Container of food and basic supplies was received as well.

However, intel points out that the PLAN is intending to attack the site, possibly with the intent of re-capture. It is evident that keeping these radars online is an affair with an expiration. However, right now the Group Commander of the Mountain Troop (forums poster Yooper) has orders to hold the site. The Argentine Air Defenders will be under your command for this mission.

It is not known what direction the enemy will come from, nor how. It is up to you to organize the small team to best prepare for the defence. You will all start at the radar site in the middle, and you will have an unknown time ingame to move to your positions as you deem fit.

The Chilean team will hold what they have. Luckily now there is no shortage of air dropped ammunition.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

apparently arma reforger 1.0 is out?

https://reforger.armaplatform.com/news/update-november-16-2023

for all you armaheads out there

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I noticed this because Reforger kept going through an infinite loop of downloading>patching>validating>downloading. I just uninstalled and I will download the whole thing fresh.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here is an AI-focused devblog on what the Arma Reforger devs are up to with regards to AI cover, driving, and popping smoke.

Also, experimental branch was updated yesterday and thus the roadmap updated to reflect this... although there's some new assets that aren't on the roadmap.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
New Reforger Experimental update and its got a fairly decent overhaul of the AI. Co-op gameplay is actually pretty fun and viable, though still not a ton of depth yet.

New co-op Combat Ops: Everon scenario is very cool, sort of like an antisasi 'lite' . Decent overview here (wouldnt say its good solo though, but decent with group coop).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MktNZCZh6l8

You have different objectives on the map and can find and secure different hideouts that serve as spawn points (along with deploying tents) and basically bomb around trying to ambush Soviet troops (you're playing as the local resistance).

great

- Dynamic events like running into a friendly-AI ambush on a Soviet position and being able to join in or just run in to loot the aftermath.
- Different objectives like looting dead bodies or APCs, delivering weapons, etc.
- Immersion is great, you really do feel like resistance fighters. Sneaking into one of the port cities while Soviet loudspeakers are announcing curfews or whatever is pretty cool
- Overall decent gameplay loop. You ambush Soviets to hit objectives, grab stuff and get out before QRF hits you.
- AI will use cover, do effective suppressing fire, and move and outflank you.
- AI patrols can compromise your hideouts
- AI will enter and clear out buildings (and they don't stupidly walk in, they'll actually open doors and sort of hang back)
- AI move to investigate light sources and can see them from very far away in pitch black. You can even turn on a flashlight, drop it and then ambush them as they come to check it out

not so great

- AI's night vision is far too overpowered. They can really easily spot you as if it was broad daylight, so you really need to use dead-ground/cover at night.
- No covert civilian mechanism or anything yet (AI seems to just shoot on-sight regardless of what you're wearing or carrying)
- No base building or anything yet, just discovering hideouts and being able to deploy tents for respawn
- No AI driving yet.

(edit: this the right thread? couldnt remember if there was a dedicated reforger thread)

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 24, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

BIS just announced a new CCDLC, Reaction Forces.

https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1765740571992174704

List of features:

quote:

2035 "Futura" Setting - Enhance your Arma 3 experience with new assets and content that fits seamlessly into Arma 3's narrative and world.
Two New Rifles and Pistols - Equip yourself with the HADES H6 bolt-action rifle, Veles bullpup rifle, Mk26 L5 pistol, and G19 pistol. New optics and rail attachments are also available to customize these and other weapons for the mission ahead.
A New Helicopter, Pickup Truck, UAV, and Two Static Mortar Systems - Run water bombing or Search and Rescue missions with the new Cougar Helicopter, cross rough terrain in the versatile MOOSE pickup, or support combat efforts with the new RC-40 Micro-UAV, Commando Mortar, and 120 mm Twin Mortar system.
New Pylon Weapons Systems - Outfit your helicopter with formidable firepower with the 12.7 mm autocannon, 20 mm cannon DAR/DAGR x19 missiles, or Tratnyr HE/AP x16 missiles.
New Uniforms and Equipment - Rapidly respond to situations with the right gear, available in multiple variants - including new wildland firefighter fatigues, flight helmets and suits, heavy combat helmets, shape breaker covers for existing helmets, full brim hard hats, duffle bags, TNVG-B night-vision goggles, Carrier Lite Rig and Tactical Vest Rig variants, and colored steerable parachutes.
Open-World Campaign Scenario: "Air Control" - Take part in a combined arms offensive! Prioritize your tasks, transport special forces, and fly logistics as a helicopter pilot, influencing battles below from above in this extensive 12-player open-world campaign scenario.
Singleplayer Scenarios: "Training Day'' and "Fire Season" - Familiarize yourself with the Cougar helicopter and take part in water bombing drills on Malden. Once trained, you can go on duty and help protect the island during fire season.
CO-OP and Singleplayer Scenario: "QRF'' - Respond to an emergency call and protect the HVT until reinforcements arrive! As a Quick Reaction Force (QRF), defend against waves of enemies and fight for your life against overwhelming odds in this new co-op game mode. Conserve your ammo and pick your targets carefully while working closely with a team of up to six people.
Multiplayer Mode: "Cashpoint" - A series of cashpoint robberies are happening all across Malden and Tanoa — will you stop the criminals responsible, or are you one of them? This is a Team Deathmatch scenario for up to 12 players in two uneven teams.
Music - A new soundtrack sets the tone for the CDLC, providing the perfect atmosphere for intense operations.
Additional Content - Experience new customizable modules, as well as new wildfire and water bombing mechanics.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Maybe just me. I don’t like futuristic. I’m more of a historical or present day realism fan.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

Maybe just me. I don’t like futuristic. I’m more of a historical or present day realism fan.

Me too tbh, but that QRF coop stuff sounds pretty good all the same

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCfWkaX8N9A&t=2297s

timestamped at, uh…

:stonklol:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Do future bullpups not have lovely triggers, and will bolt actions work differently than they have since... like when they were invented? Is the future glock glockier or something?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A new day brings a new Arma Reforger patch to 1.1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrlQuqVqhyw
Highlights of the changelog include Combat Ops: Everon (up to six FIA players against Soviet AI in guerrilla warfare), a 'M4-a-like' dubbed the "M16A2 Carbine", a new UK-59L machine gun for the FIA, a NSV 12.7 mm (.50-cal) turret, new optics, clothing/uniforms, wheeled ground vehicles, two new AI behaviors ("seeking cover from fire and employing smoke grenades when aiding downed comrades"), and several gameplay changes to Conflict mode.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Queer Grenadier posted:

Ww2 and modern stuff is overdone..cold war has barely been explored beyond vietnam tho it hosts so much interesting stuff.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there even a single game in the genre set during the Korean War?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Korean war is usually filed under "Forgotten or Ignored".
Barely any A3 mods for it too, even if you can easily just make them with most WW2 assets anyway.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Falcon 2.0, the F16 sim.and wargame.
But they're set during the second Korean war

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is reforager as bad as the reviews say?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Is reforager as bad as the reviews say?

It's more of a tech demo than it is a game. What's in it is pretty promising for what Arma 4 will be, and there is some genuinely compelling gameplay available already, but I think it's still hard to recommend buying it unless you're an Arma enthusiast. But that's just my $.02

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reforger is perfectly good but it is more limited than normal Arma.

It shines best in PvP (with AI troops) in its flagship Conflict mode where both teams take over the island, control nodes, attack bases and supply, etc. It's a lot of fun, and because everyone has a lovely rifle with iron sights, it is very much a back to basics infantry experience.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That sounds like the best part of well-curated ops. I've always made a point of limiting the fancy optics in my ops, because sniping at the AI from afar makes everything boring.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sounds like you only like people having fun the way you want to have fun..

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2024

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The UI is janky in the normal ARMA way, but I had fun playing it not too long ago with a buddy. Coming from the ARMAGOONS modset, it's a bit jarring going back to basics.

I agree with the tech demo description. It definitely looks pretty but it's still very much ARMA to the core, which is both a good and bad thing. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I booted it up, took one look at the main menu to discover there was no Eden Editor available. After looking around and finding that Eden wasn't added yet, and I would have to learn a whole new toolset to even make scenarios with the external tools I just decided to pass on it and wait.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As it so happens, the official Arma YouTube account is streaming a 64-player Reforger custom game mode as of this post; Nillers is a senior community manager:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Wx_n1XP04
https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1770526215356432657

In Arma 3 news, here's a Q&A interview with Rotators Collective head Stefan Keßner, the developers behind both Western Sahara and the upcoming Reaction Forces.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The latest CDLC for Arma 3 is here: https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1772626754684821834

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

This is just jarring to me. Too much going on. So, the player is a firefighter, insurgent, US military? I don’t get it. Seems like a really odd DLC?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

All I know is it adds UAVs (in recon, explosive, and smoke grenade flavours) that you can launch from any 40mm grenade launcher, and that was enough for me.

Other highlights are a Deagle, a 12.7mm rifle, a one-man portable mortar, and a pickup truck that has a buttload of customization options (including putting a fuel tank in the bed to make it a refuel vehicle).

Icedude fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 27, 2024

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Queer Grenadier posted:

This is just jarring to me. Too much going on. So, the player is a firefighter, insurgent, US military? I don’t get it. Seems like a really odd DLC?

They all fit in with the central theme of Reaction Force (QRF against insurgents, Police response to armed criminals, Wildfire response), so not that odd really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

Slashrat posted:

They all fit in with the central theme of Reaction Force (QRF against insurgents, Police response to armed criminals, Wildfire response), so not that odd really.

Thanks that clicked for me.