Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Funny how things work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Licenseless Rider is a perfectly straightforward translation.

But Common Rider is a really drat clever localization that remains a pun at the expense of not translating the original.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm down with this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cthulhuchan posted:

hmm nah gently caress that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it'd be funny if they were both from the same ninja clan and had no clue about each other.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sonic sounds pretty much exactly how I'd expect with an rear end like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's true, Sonic wears a completely different shade.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously though that early stream preview episode has me so hype but we still have to wait a month for the actual broadcast now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was a good thing to come home from work to.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

This is also why people(including Saitama) are always getting Saitama Red Bean flavored stuff, which he hates.

Oh my god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can totally dig the opening. I'm a sucker for a decently catchy, sufficiently cheesy, and forcefully sung JAM Project song. Also the op creates tonal expectations for the actual show to undercut for comic effect, it's like an animated analog to those sweet-looking Murata covers.

Seriously though that song is super cheesy and I am completely down with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

I like how Saitama is super buff in the opening it's hilarious.

Right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You talkin poo poo bout GARO?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I like "ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!" *thrashing*, but that fan OP is still actually my fav. ONE PAN MAN FOREVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That one's pretty good but skews a little too close to that attack on titan op for my tastes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The instant the King Engine started roaring, it was a foregone conclusion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The expositionbomb joke was fine. Even the pillbug got bored and crawled away. And let's face it the original gag wasn't really a laugh-out-loud gag in the comic either. It was always more of a genre-aware chuckle thing.

But there's something to be said about going above and beyond the call of duty re: absurdly, ridiculously dull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZveoBfiww

The beast king fight and immediate aftermath was where the real laughs were at, TV or comic version.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

seriously though if you post ONE spoilers in this, the Murata thread, they will cut a bitch

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to see Saitama punch The Organization.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think after a point just about everybody assumes that since it makes sense and fits on a number of levels.

Though it's a minor distinction, but I don't think it's necessarily that Saitama was super serious about his training per se, but rather that he was super serious about being a hero and that training was just his way to achieve that goal. Meanwhile Crabrante was super serious about his own interests and those mostly involved eating crab. It's not that he trained to eat a lot of crab, but rather he was just really serious about crab.

Basically, what I'm saying is that hobbies should be enjoyed in moderation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gnome7 posted:

The caveat is that becoming super intense also makes you a monster. I think Saitama managed to avoid that by never becoming TOO intense - he's just not enough into it to become a monster. He's a hero as a hobby, after all.

Also he seems to be fighting undiagnosed chronic depression so that could also be holding him back from getting too into it.

But like you said, this is all better if it's never explained, and this is all just projected theory crafting.

I do think Saitama actually did cross the line into monster territory though. Remember that there's a common thread among the "super serious about something"-type monsters. They all became strong and their appearances changed.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:smugdog:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Its not really a mystery why he became strong. This is a setting where you can turn into a car monster because you love tweaking cars, and where you can mutate into a crab monster because you ate too much crab.

Saitama became an unbeatable hero because he worked out every single day to the brink of collapsing, and every day he could keep going, his determination grew a little bit more. He became the strongest hero because his innermost wish was to become the strongest hero. The explanation is 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and 10km running every day. The joke is that nobody would actually do this wholeheartedly thinking it would turn them into a strong hero, but Saitama believed it 100% and actually DID it and now he's God.

Yeah, I feel like the story doesn't need to explain it because it already did. And it matters about as much as you'd expect, really.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jintor posted:

i don't think he's a monster. most monsters seem to be innately homicidal.

Is it innate or were those guys just dicks

makes u think

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh god, Common Rider's Last Stand is gonna be painful :ohdear:

He truly deserves to be called a hero.

It's a shame the anime doesn't look like it'll be covering the sidestories. Maybe they're saving those for the BD OVA extras.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, if there's anime-only people who are still wondering what exactly the big deal is and why there's so much hype about OPM, the Sea King arc should set things straight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I almost don't want Blast to ever get revealed.

Like the lower half of Wilson's face.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

There's a good reason to save on the budget for this episode (or technically, work on the next episodes more than this one and just push this one out asap)

Yeah, I'm bracing myself for next week's One Punch (to my gut).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fubuki's actually B-class.

But yeah, most lower-ranking heroes tend to be good at a gimmick or just tougher and stronger than normal people. Even licenseless rider can take hits that would have killed any ordinary person, though, so that's worth something. In that Heroes Association power levels pamphlet, what were the hero categories again? Physical, Psychic, Weapon, Equipment?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I know, I was just referring to the existence of inexplicable superpowers in general.

sorry, just interpreted sharktamer's post to be a question about superpowers among A-classes lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The perils of pronouns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hero Association doesn't know jack poo poo is the problem though.

This is always the case.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lord knows we could use the company.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Metal bat is insanely powerful and is my friend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well it's not like Japan treats the original ONE version like a secret, by all accounts it appeared to be fairly popular even before the redraw. Just not phenomenally so. So the ONE webcomic is a perfectly understandable source of supplementary info on stuff that might not have come up yet in Murata's redraw.

Like teasers for the people who only stick to one of the adapted versions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the King arc makes a very strong opener for a second season and Boros is the most natural stopping point. But on its own it's probably a bit bittersweet. Depending on how much the Boros arc is compressed there might be room to fit it in, though I'd expect Madhouse would want to go all out for that fight. I would be surprised if it ends on King but not unpleasantly so. And I can't really blame Seafood for hoping that anime-only watchers won't have to wait a couple years to learn why King is the best and also the strongest.

Terper posted:

I think we'll have some anime-original stuff to close out the season, like Saitama going out for noodles with Genos (and maybe Rider) and just having a laugh, with Saitama's closing thoughts about how the fight with Boros reaffirmed that he still has problems but that he still feels somewhat happy right now.

Odds are you're right and there'll probably be an anime-only denoument.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Just so I am clear - is this translated into English?

Well it is the Viz release.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Saitama's so strong, I bet he could even beat JOHN CENA!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The ultimate evolution.

Licensed Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ugh