Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Prison Warden posted:

I think there's a contractual obligation in Japan that all ED themes have to have the same tone regardless of show theme or context and also to just be poo poo.

You take back what you just said about HEY SMITH :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

A site briefly listed it as 12 episodes and that's Serious Punch at the end of the OP so probably stopping at Boros

It's 12 episodes. 6 BDs, 2 episodes each.

BD 1 is also listed as having an OVA, which I assume is just going to be a short thing like a lot of anime have now.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

RatHat posted:

Is the anime using the Murata designs for the characters/monsters?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

aers posted:

It's 12 episodes. 6 BDs, 2 episodes each.

BD 1 is also listed as having an OVA, which I assume is just going to be a short thing like a lot of anime have now.

Wow, they're really milking the market over there, aren't they?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

I think there's a contractual obligation in Japan that all ED themes have to have the same tone regardless of show theme or context and also to just be poo poo.

Also,

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The ED theme is hilarious cause of how unfitting it is. maybe it's intentional

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

He saved anime in just one episode!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Aurain posted:

The problem with the OP is that it's generic shonen as hell. Rock music and the hero beating the crap out of things.

One Punch Man is really at its best though when it's Saitama being simple face goofy, and it's like that for the most part. It undersells OPM to me.

UM EXCUSE ME THAT IS JAM PROJECT YOU loving PLEB. WATCH YOUR TONGUE eh tbh the song is definitely not one of their best but it's pretty nice to hear them after so long.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The OP is :perfect:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/onepunchman/01_01.html
http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/onepunchman/01_02.html
http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/onepunchman/01_03.html
http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/onepunchman/01_04.html

If you were curious what the work action animators do actually looks like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And thus once more El Chapulin Colorado will never be referenced outside of Latin America.

:colbert:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Colon Semicolon posted:

UM EXCUSE ME THAT IS JAM PROJECT YOU loving PLEB. WATCH YOUR TONGUE eh tbh the song is definitely not one of their best but it's pretty nice to hear them after so long.
They've been putting out openings pretty regularly, such as for the various GARO series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, that kind of setup is very typical for anime BDs.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this rules

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Daler Mehndi posted:

They've been putting out openings pretty regularly, such as for the various GARO series.
Correction:
To hear them in something I actually want to watch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You talkin poo poo bout GARO?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Prison Warden posted:

I don't really know how you can't get that impression, with the insane over the top music, and the badass drawings before ending on an epic "walking away shot" .... with Saitama holding a bag of groceries.

Well, I was trying to be kind towards the people here who were mad that the opening didn't seem appropriate and was too shounen-y.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I fukkin love animation stuff like this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like "ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!" *thrashing*, but that fan OP is still actually my fav. ONE PAN MAN FOREVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I like "ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!" *thrashing*, but that fan OP is still actually my fav. ONE PAN MAN FOREVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That one's pretty good but skews a little too close to that attack on titan op for my tastes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jimbot posted:

Two episodes a disk is standard, and if a show runs 13 episodes then there will be a disk with one episode. And they are expensive. Japan's media market is cray cray.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I want this series to be 13 episodes instead of 26 if those 13 episodes are perfect awesome mad quality.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Whoever made those forum tags a while back should go submit them to the contest. I'd vote for them.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Two episodes a disk is standard, and if a show runs 13 episodes then there will be a disk with one episode. And they are expensive. Japan's media market is cray cray.

If memory serves, it's where they make up a good bit of the revenue on the show. I heard a long time back you have to pay to get on a station, instead of them licensing the rights to air the show, so home video sales and merchandising are the way the show actually makes its costs back

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CannonFodder posted:

That's the otaku-oriented anime market! :eng101:

Instead of trying to appeal to a mass market of more varied consumers, you can make something niche as gently caress and air at at 1:00 in the morning. Your audience of hard-line nerds who love that poo poo (us) will readily buy the insanely expensive show merch, thus netting the same amount of money from one otaku viewer as you'd expect from like 10 normie viewers for a more "marketable" daytime show.

I have no idea how this practice is sustainable, either :shrug:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

deadly_pudding posted:

That's the otaku-oriented anime market! :eng101:

Instead of trying to appeal to a mass market of more varied consumers, you can make something niche as gently caress and air at at 1:00 in the morning. Your audience of hard-line nerds who love that poo poo (us) will readily buy the insanely expensive show merch, thus netting the same amount of money from one otaku viewer as you'd expect from like 10 normie viewers for a more "marketable" daytime show.

I have no idea how this practice is sustainable, either :shrug:

It doesn't sound sustainable at all. It sounds like it could crash and burn at any time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mraagvpeine posted:

It doesn't sound sustainable at all. It sounds like it could crash and burn at any time.

Yes, and they do. Why do you think Gainax has re-branded and shuffled around like 3 times? And that was with numerous highly rated shows under their belts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the way Little Witch Academia funded their stuff becomes the norm (aka kickstarter, but probably with some Japan-centric rebranding).

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, kind of an odd move to cater primarily to pillow-humping doll lickers who are bad with money. I guess they can't stop now.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

e X posted:

Honestly, as far as first episodes go, I wasn't a fan. Saitaman came across far too much like a standard shonen protagonist for me.

I think that is the feeling I had, but that is how it is in the manga. By himself, he's just as boring as he says he is with fighting. The series will really hit it off when he starts meeting with the other heroes acting as the world's strongest straight man.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
One of the big selling points for OPM is how it will often lead you on in the expectation of various shounen/manga troupes and then turn them over on their face and breakdance on their nature.

But yea, the first few chapters in the manga were mostly about establishing Saitaman, how he lives in a poo poo part of town, barely getting enough food to the point of being a sale-bitch, and all the other things that will come into context when they are contrasted with the other 'heroes' and the like.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Why are people adding an n to the end of Saitama.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's quite instinctual to add it when you're fast typing to do so. If you focus on not doing it though, you never will.

e: V that's probably part of it. Think "superhero" think "-man" so if you're not paying loads of attention, seems easy to slip a N on the end of Saitama.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 8, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought it was a deliberate joke because Anpanman, Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, etc.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Berk Berkly posted:

One of the big selling points for OPM is how it will often lead you on in the expectation of various shounen/manga troupes and then turn them over on their face and breakdance on their nature.

But yea, the first few chapters in the manga were mostly about establishing Saitaman, how he lives in a poo poo part of town, barely getting enough food to the point of being a sale-bitch, and all the other things that will come into context when they are contrasted with the other 'heroes' and the like.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Somehow looking at Saitama in the manga I always envisioned him having a higher pitched voice than he does in the anime. Not a LOT higher, but say, somewhere around Luffy's pitch instead of Zoro's pitch.

That's not a criticism in any way, just something that surprised me a bit. I love the anime. I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was only going to be 12 eps but then watching how fast they made it through what, 4 chapters? in episode 1 made me realize that there probably isn't enough content for 24-26 episodes yet. Better to shorten it than toss in some garbage filler that wouldn't do the source justice.

Felt like rereading some old chapters; where's it being hosted these days?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

His VA was chosen specifically because he was always got the role of the buddy characters who aren't really main characters, right? Like it's a joke on that, that Saitama is so unremarkable to the outsiders in canon that he doesn't get a top star VA.

A pre-Machete Japanese Danny Trejo, if you will.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagined his voice exactly like the one he got. A very reserved voice like he's a nobody, in contrast with exaggerated high-pitched voice or edgy cool lower-pitched voices.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Somehow looking at Saitama in the manga I always envisioned him having a higher pitched voice than he does in the anime. Not a LOT higher, but say, somewhere around Luffy's pitch instead of Zoro's pitch.

That's not a criticism in any way, just something that surprised me a bit. I love the anime. I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was only going to be 12 eps but then watching how fast they made it through what, 4 chapters? in episode 1 made me realize that there probably isn't enough content for 24-26 episodes yet. Better to shorten it than toss in some garbage filler that wouldn't do the source justice.

Felt like rereading some old chapters; where's it being hosted these days?

I tried mangareader, but that was a big pile of poo poo. Some chapters seemed to be missing, some were half-scanned or failed to load and some chapters repeated with a new number.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

100 sit ups
100 push ups
10k running

Every single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight