Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's not hard, since he's never intentionally taught Genos anything. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Next chapter is out in Japanese, only a day late. Good but a bit short.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's because in between me reading and you posting Murata added in about 10 double page spreads that apparently didn't make it into the first version of the chapter through some sort of mistake. :v: For reference, everything in between the double page shot of the apartment and Genos getting the phone call wasn't there when I read it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

And a billion watermarks per downsized page marring Murata's art. Yeah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mangapanda does their own version (which is uploaded on their site) which is terrible both in terms of translation quality and in the watermarks, as you know. You can keep an eye on Boon's blog, mangaupdate's site, or Batoto to see if Boon's version has come out. I or someone else will probably also mention it in this thread soon after it's released, as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon
Batoto

Translations that are not literally worse than Google Translate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, failedninja's right regarding the shape of the continent.

Murata accounted for the curvature of a globe. :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Liar posted:

Even odder considering Saitama's Chicago Bulls shirt.

Also now I'm wondering when we'll see Tanktop Man. Wonder if he's anything like long-time cosplay weirdo Man-Faye.

It's actually Tanktop Master. There's a running gag going on that there's a Tanktop X for every rank of hero, starting from Tanktop Tiger and going up all the way to Tanktop Master. You can see him in the left of the bigass group illustration in the OP.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No, the rank 1 hero hasn't been shown yet. As for why that guy's in the center... you'll see.

The Japanese wiki mentions offhand that a lot of the early enemies, including Vaccineman and the mosquito girl, were probably dragon level. The manga says that the little brother who used steroids to become a giant was demon level, but judging from the destruction he caused it might've been upgraded to dragon later on if Saitama hadn't punched him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hahaha, that rules. Here, in better resolution.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In news from Murata's twitter, OPM is entering its fifth print run in Japan, and he's starting preparations for the third volume. Also he's redrawing the sequence in chapter 17 (the Genos/Saitama spar) to fit the format of a printed manga.

Oh, and just because he's is a monster, he added a handful of spreads to that meteors-approaching-Earth sequence in the web raws. Spreads that he'll probably be redrawing completely for the volume release anyway. This guy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well like I said, given that he added in even more spreads into the most recent chapter, I'd say that he's not stopping. Just willing to go the extra mile to change things accordingly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I went back to read the chapter again, and I note that Tanktop Man is S-Class Rank 14 while "Metal Bat" is S-Class Rank 15 and "Huff-Puff Pri(????)" is S-Class Rank 16.

"Metal Bat" must be the guy with a pompadour holding a metal bat to the right of Saitama. I wonder who "Huff-Puff Pri(????)" is, though.

I'll give you a hint: the "Pri" stands for Prisoner

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

It seems very Watchmen-like with exaggerated feats of strength and speed, but with rare actual super powers.

Still looking forward to more of the S-class heroes to show up only to have Saitama and Genos completely ignore them.

Well, I dunno. If you saw someone grab a truck and toss it into the air with one hand it'd still be a superpower, even though nobody's throwing around lasers or psychic powers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Relin posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, is the girl on the credits page a character that shows up eventually?

Yes, she is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

It is for us, but if everyone in the world could become that strong just by putting in the effort, maybe not. It's one of those areas where superpowers become kind of iffy to define.

Maybe metahuman abilities is a better term?

Everyone can't, that's the point. Saitama of course is an aberration, but even excluding him, the S-rankers are all ridiculously powerful beings who can go toe to toe with Demon-class threats. Their powers don't really fall into the category of "you can do it if you try hard enough." Meanwhile C-rankers are basically ordinary people, maybe a bit more fit than usual but nothing even close to superhuman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I guess I'll need to wait and see the origins of all the S rankers and what their powers actually are and how they got them. Like has been said, it really seems like aside from tech guys like Genos and the two psychic ladies, all the other heroes are just martial artists or well trained but still normal dudes

Well, I think where you and I are disagreeing is that I don't think a guy who can, say, punch a hole in a truck is "normal." The only ones who've shown that sort of ability have been the S rankers.

Oh, her. (don't read those translations)

Horrendous translations aside, she's from a oneshot done by the same writer/artist combo as Onepunch-Man. Here: http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/dangan-tenshi-fan-club-r8012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ah, alright. In that case, yeah, a lot of the S rankers are "dude who can hit you really hard." Some of them aren't, though, so I think you'll find it's a nice balance. When Murata finally gets to them. Which will be... I dunno, around 2 years from now if his current pace is any indication.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, there's 88 chapters out and counting.

Murata updates at a pace of (nominally) 2 weeks per chapter, sometimes splitting one of ONE's chapters into two, so if we assume that he covers 20 of ONE's chapters per year, that's still around a year and a half until the first scene where S rankers actually do something major.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Popo posted:

I just blitz'd through this over the weekend. Amazing stuff but now I have to sit and wait for more like a chump! Why isn't everything instantaneous!?

I like the idea but why, why did they make it 360p? Such great art doesn't deserve all that artifacting. Whine aside, it works really nicely.

I really would love to see amateur attempts at animating some of the scenes though. The key frames are there, you just have to make roughly a billion inbetweens.

Because it's actually a rip of the original from niconico. I guess whoever ripped it didn't have nicovideo premium, because the version there is high quality.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fubuki and Tatsumaki (Blizzard and Tornado) are both in the original, but they don't actually appear in the story for quite a while. They're very popular, though, so I'm guessing that Murata and ONE did the extra chapter to both satisfy fans of the original and give new readers a preview of some recurring characters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

God dammit Murata stop being such a lateral thinker when it comes to comics, it's bad enough you're an incredible artist as it is.

Taken from his twitter.

The pinkie reveals a twist!

Also, :laffo: It's three dimensional.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Next chapter is up in Japanese. Again, very short (unless Murata ninja edits in a dozen pages while I type this like he did last time). Murata's having way too much fun with webcomic format.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No, it's all bad. They saved their images in (probably 16 color) png which made the grey tones look like pixelated poo poo, and despite the entire chapter having maybe 30 lines of text they still managed to make mistakes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The chapter was enjoyable. Mangapanda's translating and editing were not. They flubbed the meaning of several lines, for instance making it seem as though Genos was worried about Saitama in the scene directly following his upgrade. He's not worried about Saitama at all. He's worried about Saitama's opinion of him--of what his teacher would think if Genos turned and ran while Saitama himself was just chilling while the meteor came down.

And for a series where the art is one of the major appeals, having humongous watermarks pasted on top of every single page (every single downsized, pixelated page) is not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

van fem posted:

I only read Boon's translations, but to quote his version: Genos: "Teacher lives in this city too... I can't just run away and leave him here to die!" Care to clarify?

Eh, Boon isn't a perfect translator either. He's significantly better than mangapanda but he does make mistakes too, and whether I'm right or he is, the last bit of the second sentence was added on by him. The original line is 「この町には先生も住んでいる・・・俺だけ逃げる訳にはいかない!」 which simply states that he can't run away by himself when Saitama is there. I suppose you could make a case that Genos was indeed concerned for his teacher, but that'd contradict the conviction we've seen from Genos so far that Saitama is on a level far above anything he himself can hope to achieve.

There's also the fact that later on in a future chapter, when Saitama does appear and punches the meteor, Bang is surprised by Saitama destroying it but Genos doesn't even get a reaction cut. His only shock was at Saitama actually showing up. It's possible that Genos was surprised by Saitama's strength and Murata will add in reaction cuts for him, but going solely just by what happened, I don't think it's likely.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Eh, if we're talking about that one specific sentence, it changes what's being implied by the statement to something I think is pretty nonsensical. If it was done for the sake of making the sentence flow better it could have been done without changing the connotation of it.

e: Actually, never mind, I'm probably just being nitpicky because it's not how I personally would have done it, and also because I hate translation groups like mangapanda who will work on a project solely because it's popular and don't care about making GBS threads out subpar translation/editing jobs as long as they get it out before anyone else and therefore get the most views.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Is it wrong that Mangapanda's prodigious watermarking with no regard to what's going on under the watermark annoys me more than their lovely translations?

No, that's just part of what I meant by subpar editing.

Anyway, to move away from the topic of terrible scanlation groups: it's a bit old, but this short from Murata is pretty goddamn amazing.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The worst is when you have a site that uses watermarks ripping their scans from another site that also uses watermarks, for a series where the group that scanlates it watermarks there releases. You can end up with horrendous triple/quadruple watermarked, horrifically artifacted monstrosities.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata works way too much to hate working. The man will post tweets at four in the morning Japan time about how he finally got the texture of wool looking right or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Just because you'd rather be doing one thing doesn't mean you hate the other thing. Dude could really just have been wanting to go fishing and knew he couldn't or something.

I dunno. Dude's literally drawn a manga about drawing manga. I think it really shines through how much he enjoys what he does, and frankly it makes me pretty envious.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

minus was a good webcomic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

As of now (2:15 AM EST) Murata is streaming. He's coloring an illustration of Metal Knight, one of the S class heroes.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

And just as I post it he says he's gonna get something to eat, but he'll be back.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 23, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Reposting for the new page since he's still going:

Murata is streaming right now. He's coloring an illustration of Metal Knight, one of the S class heroes.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata is streaming again, at a slightly less ungodly hour for those who're living in the States.

Again, the url is http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So the new chapter is out in Japanese, and it turns out that all the coloring stuff that Murata was streaming the past few days was for this chapter, which is in glorious full color. And if you follow Hunter x Hunter the cover has a nice reference.

Pretty much the entire chapter in an animated gif:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Jesus. The reflection in his helm alone blows me away. That's a lot of work. I wonder did he do it all in the last few days or start several weeks ago and just eek away at some of it while he was doing the chapters leading up to it.

From the streams (where he did several pages per day starting from pencil sketches to inking to coloring) I think it's a safe bet he just started on this one after ending the last one, so roughly two weeks of time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

By the way Murata is streaming right now coloring an illustration of Sonic (it's almost 3 am in Japan by the way) so if you want to see the man work his magic tune in here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

rizzen posted:

This would make a much better title for this thread.

Onepunch-Man: Official Murata Yuusuke Fanclub Thread
or
Onepunch-Man: A Manga About Superhumans, Drawn by a Superhuman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's a valid complaint, since if you took away the art and summed it into words the past month of Onepunch-Man would be "A month ago, Genos ran toward the meteor and got an upgrade. Two weeks later, a dude appeared."

I'm perfectly okay with that because I'm a huge nerd but I can easily see why someone wouldn't be.