Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

WAN PAN MAN FOREVER!!

God drat that is hype :holy:

EDIT: It's like im 14 watching anime again, holy shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Robin sproutin hands like ma nigga sproutin rhymes

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I'd buy a fubuki boob mouse pad, i think.
I'd go for the Saitama OPPAI mouse pad myself.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharktamer posted:

e: Also, the whole "Saitama is frustrated because all his fights end too quickly" thing only seemed to exist in the early chapters, later ones just have him as some chill guy finishing people's fights for them and rocking around being invulnerable. I thought maybe the show would lose that plot point since it's pretty much thrown away before long in the manga.
What on earth are you mumbling about? The Boros fight is about exactly that, Saitama thinking he's stumbled upon a worthy opponent and hoping to face some challenge, and ultimately being embarrased and disappointed when that is not the case. That is the major plot point that wraps the arc. The Garou arc so far follows a similiar theme.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Leave the complaining to the pedantic nerds.
You might want to double check which forum you are posting in.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Casual slap < Normal punch < Consecutive Normal Punches < Normal Chain punch < Serious punch

Fixed that for you

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I mean if you are going to complain about the animation in the anime then like go watch the Genos/Saitama sparring session and shut yer hole

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharktamer posted:

Those are the rules though, if it hasn't happened yet in the Murata redraw, don't talk about it. That list up there gives details about the end of the current arc multiple times. They may be inconsequential, but still just don't talk about them here.
Yeah. When posting, ask yourself "If I was reading the Murata redraw, would this spoil me? Y/N", it is not that hard!

If it is literally too hard for you then please post in the ONE tread.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

From the PYF Fanart thread

oh god

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Save us, Licenseless Saitama!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terper posted:

One Punch Man :geno:
One Punch Baldy

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I didn't know Mars Attacks got a manga.
my oh my, look at this innocent boy

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think the latest stuff - the OVA's, Murata-only material, side chapters - have made it painfully obvious that the premise of this series, while hilarious, is not enough to carry an entire series on its own. It also needs a great story with good execution and delivery, which no one but One has been able to pull of to that extent so far.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

I thought ONE was still writing everything, and Murata just drew the extra material, though.
Is that so? The side chapters as well? Well, I guess the MB vs Centipede/Garou stuff did in fact totally rule, so maybe it's just this arc or maybe even just that this arc is still picking up its steam.

We'll see!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

This tournament has had a pretty miserable start
When it started with the chapter where Saitama was dodging attacks sitting on a chair and hiding his face, that was a good start, real shame murata redrew it and removed that part

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SpacePig posted:

You could probably make a pretty distinct contrast between joke Saitama and serious Saitama with lighting tricks, costume details and after affects. Joke Saitama has normal comedy movie lighting and a slightly baggy costume, and serious Saitama is heavily shadowed and has a better fitting costume.
This, and also camera angles, audio cues, potentially some voice edits. Maybe in extreme case even switching the actor out for a different actor? If LOTR can make Frodo look less than half the size of most humans with a little CGI and mostly smart camera angles and visual tricks, then you should be able to pull off a convincing switch between aloof/dead-serious, given an actor that can pull it off as well.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Counterpoint: Final Fight has Mayor Mike Haggar
Counterpount: Marvel vs Capcom 3 has Spiderman, Street Fighter, and Mayor Mike Haggar.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mons Public posted:

I was a hero for fun this Halloween.

Don't forget to practice your JUSTICE CRASH

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

I think Blast is either the father of that kid Saitama saved or the kid himself, who started the hero assossiation and put himself at the top to be cool and better than everyone else.
I think that kid's father is the guy who started the hero association, in response to his kid being saved from a monster by an unknown hero.

EDIT: Spoilered because i'm not sure if that has been mentioned in Murata's version yet

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

He only beat a weak giant lobster man with claws, while barehanded and untrained. It barely even counts.
Well he did do it by using Brain (tie around the eyeball and pull is pretty smart) instead of Fist.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

More reasons why Genos needs a good old fashioned beating.
That happens every single arc though

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Artum posted:

Considering a lot of the best stuff to come out of one punch man has been "filler" side chapters like saitama getting picked up by the cops that "never has a purpose", its a dumb complaint.
I think a valid complaint is "this arc is boring". Regardless of if it's filler or written by ONE or whatever.

It also makes sense to call this filler. "Filler" doesn't mean not written by the original author, not canon, etc. Some OP fillers have had Oda involvement or based on cover arcs and other things. The main thing characterizing a filler is that it's inserted between already existing story sections. This means it has no room to incur real change on characters or events that come later, beyond fleshing out existing characters. And this arc suffers pretty obviously from that problem. See: Introducing a new character (Shiryu) with no connection to any existing cast members, just so it can have a vehicle for character growth.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I guess one specific thing that's kind of lame is that the monster that's about to get onepunchmanned has existed for one and a half chapter and all he's really done is talk and rip a guy's hair off. Chapter could still be amazing but doesn't feel like much of a payoff.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

In one of the bonus chapters it's explicitly stated iirc. Perhaps it's a translation issue akin to the One Piece one where fantranslators translated "the power of the Afro" when Luffy wore an Afro wig as "the power of the blacks".
I believe the panel went something like "Sure I rape them, but they're all criminals so it's totally okay! [AUTHOR NOTE: THIS IS NOT OKAY AT ALL AND VERY VERY WRONG]" which is mildly funny but does not undo the tasteless joke.

Agreed ONE is a fantastic author and Big Gay Prison Rapist Hee Hee is an odd misstep in an otherwise fantastic manga, let's talk about Free Hugger he is the best monster ever. A+ monster design.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mulva posted:

One Piece is weird in that it 100% triples down on the stereotypes while also at the same time making the okama some of the most heroic and noble characters fighting for the freedom of everyone. And also their leader is Tim loving Curry, so clearly he is the hero in this situation.
One Piece makes it work because it casts Bon Clay and others as heroic and fantastic human beings regardless of their quirks, saying basically it really doesn't matter if you like to dress as a ballerina or you swing the other way, if you're a person willing to lay down your life for what you believe in. It threads very dangerous waters at times (Sanji on the transvestite island??) but Oda knows how to handle it respectfully in the long run.

In contrast, PPP is Gay Person: The Joke.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

When Mob finally reaches his full emotional power he transforms into his true form: A short female lost child.

Alternatively: Mob Reigen

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I really hope you get to meet him soon, Saitama!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"Stone Kung-Fu" Rock Lee

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Yep. This is finally back to the webcomic's events - everything between Garou crushing the tanktoppers and Garou deflecting bullets was new to the Murata redraw.

ONE does some world class framing and posing. But look at this poo poo

This poo poo is some world class framing and posing as well.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

crush mosquito, mission accomplished
Mosquitos.... rock

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

how is this so good every time

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah Garou is basically Goku. If you punch him harder, he levels up faster. Gotta go for the quick kill I guess? Bang and his bro had a reasonable chance at a kill if the bird thing hadn't saved him

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well its like a hundred pages to translate

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Maybe it's Saitama with a wig. So, Charanko.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Let's all take a moment to contemplate how much better the manga is right now compared to the middle of the tournament arc.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Penny Arcade at its prime were the best 'comedy' comic in both web and print IMHO, because their strips did not rely on 'setup setup punchline' but rather bizarre situations and conversations that were consistently funny all the way through. Sometimes a strip had a hilarious first panel and the last panel was just there to provide a reasonable exit.

The reason this is a superior approach is that if you have only one punchline, the strip falls flat if the jokes sucks, but if every panel contains multiple jokes there is a vastly superior chance that something in the strip will be enjoyable.

OPM is like that, there are no punchlines, instead the settings and situations are the jokes.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 11, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Very crabfully

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

God drat do I love Saitama barely whispering his hero name out under his breath because it's just that embarrasing

EDIT: One vs Murata version. The Murata version is far stronger in some scenes like the Boros fight, all Garou fights, selling the King joke so so good. ONE is denser, better paced, Tatsumaki has better character design, and overall the storyboarding is just better. They are both great but if I had to choose I would pick the Murata version without hesitation. The best part of the Murata version is you can show it to an american comic book nerd and melt his eyes out with how much better it is than any Marvel/DC comic.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 3, 2018

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

And More posted:

I had no idea people were gonna go nuts on me for using "canon". :stonk:
May i present to you, the somethingawful forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zartosht posted:

I'll just go ahead and say it: Murata is vastly overrated. Sure, he's an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art, but he doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that ONE does. Remember, ONE designed all the characters, and does storyboards for the manga chapters (and of course the writing). Everything that actually makes OPM great comes from ONE.

Read the original. :colbert:

This is what cancer reads like. How it's possible to read Garou vs Orochi and come back with this take is literally intellectually beyond me.