Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, for people not super familiar with the book that sick golden headband he wears is there to cause him excruciating pain if he misbehaves, since up to the last 80% of the book he will go on a rampage and brutally massacre anything that slights him enough when left unchecked. Like when he went on a rampage warring with Heaven itself and its strongest warriors because he felt slighted, before Buddha himself had to step in.

I like how God of High School has one of the more theologically (mythologically?) consistent portrayals of the Monkey King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

White Light posted:

I gotta ask, is there much of a reason to keep up with the ONE version of One Punch Man these days? They used to be very similar in story beats with the occasional differences in expanded content, but sometime during the Monster Association arc the narrative started becoming truly divergent, with things like major plot points and character reveals appearing in the Murata adaptation over the ONE version. Now it feels like a very, very loose adaptation where the entire structure of a story arc is reworked from the ground up; hell, the one right now is already taking different beats entirely.

It's not a bad thing per se, but it makes me feel like I'd be better off omitting the ONE version entirely so I don't subconsciously judge the Murata one for not following closely enough to the base version.

Isn't being a looser adaptation more of a reason to read both?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I've always been uncertain about is how we're supposed to view Saitama's ambivalence towards pretty much everything. Like it's one thing to be a comedic straight-man, but a lot of the time his behavior crosses over into a bizarre unwillingness to seriously engage with other people.

He almost comes off as a character who realizes everything around him is fictional, and has little investment in other characters or their lives as a result. I'm not sure how much of that is meant to just be perceived as a gag, and the line is further blurred by other characters (usually reasonably) taking everything seriously.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

He engage with king though, but I think thats because King is the only other one on his level

he usually is just not up for anyones tedious exposition or whatever, not being interested in some bullshit end of the world stuff he could punch away does not mean he is complete disengaged. He loves shopping for deals and playing nintendo and lounging around on his futon and sticking to his exercise routine. he doesn't wanna hear some blowhard ramble on about their ancient society of ninjas

The reason this stuff comes off weird is that people are often saying things that it makes sense to empathize with. Like Flashy Flash actually does have a hosed up background relevant to the current situation, and his story wasn't even long-winded.

His opinions make sense to us, readers who are aware that everything happening is fiction. But they're very strange for someone who actually exists in the setting.

As ImpAtom says, he's detached, but I'm not sure if the writing means for us to view this as a serious part of his characterization or if it's just a gag. And it also doesn't really make sense on its own - characters like Silver Fang can also effortlessly beat 99.99% of humanity, but they don't exhibit this weird apathy. The apathy is also limited to other people - Saitama is perfectly capable of caring about things like sales or video games.

Edit: My personal interpretation is that Saitama isn't even really a character, so much as a "force of nature" in a setting that otherwise takes itself relatively seriously (it's kinda like Mob Psycho where it's a gag-heavy story/setting, but where you're still supposed to care about the characters)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 22, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Saitama, annoyed at being accosted on his way to the store, gently brushes this weird scar tissue guy out of his way and they explode into a fountain of blood and gore.

The power-scaling has changed a bit in that the strongest characters can actually keep fighting after a single light Saitama punch (and I think quite a few in Garou's case).

The only real constant is that nothing can cause physical harm to Saitama.