Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I own a Df, and good christ I've never had to listen to so many people give a camera poo poo before.

I bought it because it's a D4 sensor for 1/2 the price of a D4.

Apparently however, I've made egregious errors in judgement, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I already own and use a D800, it's great. But it doesn't stand up to the Df in low light.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Locator posted:

$2250 for that lens. Ouch.

I bought the current 24-70 when it came out in 2007.

It's been to countless weddings, events, headshot sessions. It's more than earned it's keep. If I could get the same thing with VR for what I paid for it in '07, that's a bargain.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Things are not looking good. :(

That 18-50 DL was going to be great. Christ.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought the 19mm PC last week, got to use it on a retail store shoot this morning.

:stare: I uh, I can never go back now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought the D850 as an upgrade from D810

Was shooting a newly opened restaurant and caught myself giggling at how much faster and more responsive live view was.

3 years between releases is a long time to make something better. Nikon really excelled with this one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Father O'Blivion posted:

If you've had one how is it performing?

It is, by far, the best DSLR Nikon has ever made.

Father O'Blivion posted:

anyone think the D850 is going to be superseded?

We're on the same wavelength.

I wrote a thing about it on my dumb blog.

http://petedillon.com.au/blog/2018/1/27/a-legend-in-the-making

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The non-VR version is garbage.

Spend the extra :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Seluin posted:

I have a d800 and am doing microscope photography. Are there some good alternatives to Nikon Camera Control 2 for controlling things from a PC/Mac? The reviews I'm reading for it makes me think it might not work with my OS.

Capture One will let you control things through your Mac, including using live view while tethered.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
the Z lenses are stupid good.

The new 70-200 is even better than the FL version, and that's regarded as one of, if not the best 70-200 2.8 on the market.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Mirror failed on my D850, 36 days out of warranty with 170k clicks on the counter.

Called NPS, they had a loaner body ready for me at the hotel I was flying to 3 days later, and agreed to replace the shutter module out of warranty for me for free.

Nikon :toot:

It's instances like this that help me make my mind up for which brand I stick with as I transition to mirrorless in June.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Larper's gimmick gets funnier as the days go by

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

That's a freaking quality example.

I was looking at replacing my D810 backup body with another D850, but now I'm thinking of a D4S. Nuts.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Having bought and sold a Z7, I'm really putting my hopes behind a 'pro' (whatever that means) Z body in the future.

There's a couple things with the D850 that I need every day. If they can get low light AF to be as good, not even better, just as good as the 850, and let the tilt screen go 90 degrees instead of 45, I'd likely upgrade everything.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

frumpykvetchbot posted:

What was the deal breaker for you? I thought it was kind of sorta like a Z version of the D850.

There were a couple things:

Low light AF was the big one. I’m a food and restaurant photographer, and 1/3rd of the time I’m shooting in low light (see attached pic)

The Z7 hunted for focus constantly. I’m not always able to tripod mount, for example when I’m shooting chefs plating up, they can be in -3ev light pretty often, sometimes worse. I need to be able to focus on the noodles on the fork in this shot with a single point AF and for it to nail it, or else I’m hosed.

The Z7 simply wasn’t up to the task like the 850 was. With a native 50mm S lens it was just ok, but with adapted FTZ pro zooms, forget about it. Which is tough, because I shoot on a 70-200 2.8E every day, and a 105 macro, neither of which are available in Z yet.

The other one, and it’s more minor is the lack of a 90 degree tilt screen. I mostly mount my camera tethered to a boom arm when I need to shoot flat lays, like so:

Which is perfect, but sometimes the client on the day will do a ‘while you’re here, could you please do X’ and I either don’t have the time left in the shoot to setup a boom and align it or whatever, so I do something dumb like this

On the D850, that’s squared up with my
Eye line so I can shoot properly, the Z7 onto tilts to 45, so it’s totally useless.

Other really small bug bears that are annoying but I could live with:

- No vertical grip shutter button. What the gently caress.

- the EVF occasionally matches its refresh rate with modelling lamps on my strobes, so you get big black scan lines that slowly move down the display and cover whatever you’re seeing.

- the image review through the EVF displays the image you just shot (awesome!) but doesn’t honour your set white balance and only shows an ‘auto’ version, so is always wrong. (Not so awesome!’

- lack of buttons. On the 850 if I want to change the AF mode, I can do that without looking, ditto white balance. On the Z7 it’s through a menu system. I know I’m on the wrong side of history here, and this will always be the future.

The rest was excellent! The Z7 takes really lovely images, and the quality is superb. I loved having in body stabilisation for my 60mm macro, that stuff is cool.

The problem is in taking the pictures in the first place. It’s dramatically smaller to hold which is a downside for me, because the custom buttons next to the lens mount are genuinely awkward to access because the grip is so small and close to them. It’s an imaging marvel trapped in a really underwhelming body, which is a huge shame.

Looking at Z native lens shots from the Z7 and it’s indisputable that they’re sharper and the edges are less distorted than any of my current gen, Pro F mount glass. It’s clear as day.

But if I’m not zooming in or cropping in to 100% magnification and using that shot every time, then the D850 is still a much better camera.

The Z glass is the future. Hands down, no argument it’s simply better than F mount. But the pro body has to be much, much better.

sorry if the formatting is weird, posting on the app.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 27, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Too easy :)

And to your point Dread Head, you're absolutely right - a bunch of stuff I gripe about will be a total non-event to a lot of shooters, in which case go for a Z camera, they're great, especially if you have any interest in video at all.

I'm really rooting for Nikon, I've shot on their product for 15 odd years and have no desire to move to anything else quite honestly.

When I was in Tokyo for a shoot in February I used my one afternoon off and went to the stupid Nikon Museum and bought a camera strap because I'm a huge sucker :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Fantastic Post

God that really shows it right.

The D850 makes that golf look about 7 years older than it actually is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ve got my preorder in, I just hope I get it this year.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

frumpykvetchbot posted:

In single frame mode the screen or EVF momentarily flashes black to signify that the picture was taken.

If you're shooting at a weird angle and not looking through the viewfinder, (eg top down) an audio indication can be helpful I've found.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brrrmph posted:

It is quite amazing how some pros just beat this poo poo out of their gear. I guess when someone else paid for it you can afford to not worry about resale.

They’re tools, they’re meant to be used and not babied. Also when you’re on a job there often isn’t time to coddle your stuff.

This is partly why Nikon and Canon equipment is highly used in pro applications, it can take a licking and keep ticking.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ah you prick, I’ve had one on order since announcement, but there’s no tours/roadshows listed for Australia. The NPS team here are also like ‘soon, hopefully’

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hey fellow Z9 shooter. Do me a favour and tell me if your batteries start squawking about needing to be calibrated all the loving time.

It’s a weird bug that seems to happen constantly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I make a living with a Z9.

That being said it seems the Z8 is a Z9 lite, so there’s no appeal for me. Had it been a higher res body I might’ve nabbed one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah I have a z7ii as a backup body with me on every shoot, and yes if they eventually do a high res z10 (lol at thinking 46mp is no longer high res, what a world), I’ll grab one.

That being said, if Fuji GFX continues to be impressive and has a body with a grip at 100mp and $10k (likely next year), I’ll probably move to a two system setup.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pretty much exactly. It allows for cropping freedom after the fact.

So if I’m shooting a cookbook, and the designer decides they actually want to fill the page with the dish rather than the set table scene we made, it can be ‘sure’ and not ‘sorry, won’t be enough data’

The other side effect is higher res sensors seem to go hand in hand with more dynamic range which is always welcome.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m too addicted to the Z9 battery life to go to a smaller cell.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally just put a pack in your pocket?

I shoot for a living, I carry 2 spares in my pelican anyway. Anything that can streamline shoots is helpful. I go through all my half day and most of my full day shoots on one charge, which I can’t do on a small cell.

The difference between swapping during a shoot and not isn’t much, except when you’re shooting 4-5 days a week every week, of every year.

I mean it’s sort of moot point anyway, the Z8 doesn’t give me anything I don’t already have with the Z9, especially considering I’d whack the vertical grip on it anyway for ergo

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The D850 and the Z9 sensors are very similar, but the Z lenses make every image so, so much better it’s absurd.

That’s (for me) the huge win on Nikon mirrorless.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Simply make a living taking photographs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Make it more than what other people pay you for it now, enjoy!

(Then raise it 10-20% every year).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah the new consumer super zoom is pretty bang on excellent from the previews. Real nice.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ll day 1 buy a Zf as my dick around camera. I have a Zfc and it’s fun, but lack of ibis makes using it with little pancake primes that also don’t have VR a pain in the rear end.

It’s perfect as well, because 24mp is ‘fine’ when I’m out and about, but if I’m on holiday and can pixel shift that landscape shot up to 48mp or whatever that’s a rad compromise.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Going to preorder one for my dick around camera. Fixes the major issues I had with the ZFC.

Also super keen to try out that -10ev auto focus. That sounds a bit absurd but fun.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I need to update mine, will this weekend.

So, the Plena - possibly the best ‘gently caress it why not’ purchase I’ve had in a while. I hope it does some fun subject isolation stuff.

It’s been an expensive end to the year with the Zf and that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I wandered into my local and they had received the Zf the night before, so I ended up with the kit with the 40mm

They also had the Plena on the shelf, but I didn’t have time to dick around with it, looks good tho!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brrrmph posted:

Whoa. I thought Nikon said demand outpaced supply already. How’s it feel initially?

Pretty good! My wife more or less abducted my Zfc a few months ago, so I was pleased to see the Zf get announced.

It's much more substantial to hold, the dials are lovely. AF performance is lovely. The handgrip is def a pain in the butt, so I'm looking forward to the small rig grip arriving via redemption.

I wanted a camera to take photos of my kid, and when I'm out and about that's not in anyway connected to my work cameras, so it'll do well for that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I believe everyone gets a small rig handgrip for free if you buy your Zf before the end of October. I haven’t done the redemption yet tho.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

404notfound posted:

Hmm, I bought my 40mm kit from Adorama and didn't see anything about a Smallrig offer. But I also got the FTZ II adapter at the same time, somehow had a quirk where I ended up purchasing two—one for $150 and one for $250—and was able to cancel the more expensive one, so I effectively got the adapter for $100 off :toot:

Ah right, the Small Rig via redemption looks like its only for certain countries.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m loving seeing Nikon on the rise again, and making compelling cameras.

A couple years in with the Z9 now, and other than replacing the rubber grips it’s been flawless. Just an excellent workhorse camera.

I want for so little. I’m tempted occasionally to look at the GFX line for studio work, but the ergos of the Z9 are just outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Gib Z9 pixel shift :colbert: