Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Holy crap, FM2 bodies cost more than I'd figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't think that's a firmware update kind of upgrade.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Your camera's light meter won't be able to tell you the right shutter speed to use, since the camera can't read the aperture from the lens.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Goldmund posted:

Can anyone recommend a book for the d7000? There are several to choose from out there.

Is there any reason you want a book specific to the D7000? A general photography manual might be better - you can get the technical details particular to the D7000 from the instruction manual.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BonoMan posted:

Just tried out a co-worker's 28-200 AF-D and 50/1.8 AF-D.

Hated the zoom. The 50 was okay, but no aperature in live view is definitely a lovely thing. Plus even at 1.8 it just didn't seem anywhere as fast as the old AIs 50/2. Still a little flickering on that when changing exposure although it seems to lessen.

Great image though. I have another older AIs coming tomorrow so I'll see if the flickering issue is present there. It doesn't happen with the AF-Ds at all.

Maybe the flickering is the camera closing the aperture to figure out the aperture size then quickly re-opening it?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I keep wondering if I'd be richer now if I'd taken up heroin instead.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'd recommend this 35mm lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355687619&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+35

It's a great lens - no zoom, but a useful field of view and great low light performance. It's a DX lens, so it won't cover the full sensor with full-frame cameras, but those are probably fairly far in the future for your girlfriend is this will be her first non-kit lens.

For more portrait-type work, this kind of lens would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NI...ords=nikon+50mm

It's a narrower field of view, but some people like it a lot.

Wider lenses, like you might want for landscapes, tend to be a little out of your price range.

EDIT: Maybe I got your meaning wrong when you said long distance stuff. If she likes shooting animals and such, then something like this 70-300:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-NA07999088447J?r=FE

would be perfect. I use this exact lens to shoot birds and wildlife from my kayak, and it's a good compromise between reach, quality, and weight.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 16, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

SoundMonkey posted:

I was nothing but unhappy with the Nikon 70-300 VR I had (soft as poo poo) despite the features all working as advertised (reasonably fast focus, VR worked, etc).

I was unhappy with it and I got it for literally $100.

Think on that.

Mine is really sharp - maybe you got a particularly bad one? Or I got a particularly good one?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

My Nikon's not a D600, but I just assigned the function button next to the lens mount to ISO, which makes changing it plenty fast.

EDIT: Or use the button already assigned to it. That's probably better.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 17, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tusen Takk posted:

Unless there's a really cheap negative scanner...

I got an Epson V500 for 60 bucks on craigslist. It's totally serviceable for 35mm.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

There's some kind of blurry mop in front of that grass.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tusen Takk posted:

That's what I was thinking too, plus I'd reckon the shipping address is in Nigeria :v:.

Bugger all though, I thought I may finally be rid of it and pay some bills :shobon:

It would be so sad to be a Nigerian legitimately trying to buy something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think you've got your DOF numbers backwards. It's smaller apertures, down near f/8 to f/11 where you get wide depth of field. If you're shooting at f/2.8, your depth of field will be razor thin. Your depth of field is directly proportional to X, where your aperture is f/X.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The 55-200 is cheap enough, and if kit quality is fine, it'd get you the range you want.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Protons posted:

Is the D3000 a lovely camera or something?

It's just an older consumer-grade camera. It doesn't have the electronics necessary to meter or drive the autofocus of pre-digital, older lenses.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Moon Potato posted:

The kit lens for that is the 17-55mm, right? If the wide end on that performs well, it should make for pretty good landscape photos. If you want to go even wider, the Tokina 11-16 is pretty much the only thing that's decent under $2K. If you prefer working with a moderate wide angle, the 28/2.8 AI and AI-s are pretty much distortion-free, decently sharp and pretty cheap through most used resellers.

The Sigma 8-16 might also be worth looking into. I really like mine for mountain shots.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

SoundMonkey posted:

Probably "why bother when KatzEye will do it for us in a month anyways and people would just buy their version anyways because ours would be more expensive."

I mean, if they're going to leave video out entirely for philosophical reasons, a split prism should definitely have gone in.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't see the draw of the df. It's like somebody crudely bolted some late 60s porsche body kit parts on an escalade.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dren posted:

p sure the 50's are all FX. There is a cheap one, about $100, with no AF motor. Mine rarely leaves the shelf.

Nah, the 50/1.4 is FX and pretty expensive. The 50/1.8G is DX, cheap, and awesome - AF motor included.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

evil_bunnY posted:

All nikon 50's are full frame. You are talking out of your rear end.

Oh, weird. I would have sworn that was a dx lens.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kenshin posted:

The 35 f/1.8G is pretty good wide-open. The 50mm f/1.4G is very good all the way down to f/1.6, but the focal plane is so shallow at f/1.4 my D3200 sometimes has trouble focusing. Likewise for the 85mm f/1.4 (not mine, borrowed from a friend), I was able to get very usable headshots in low light at f/1.6.

Yeah, my D5000 blows the focus all the time if I try to shoot my 50/1.4G wide open. It's really annoying.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TequilaJesus posted:

Could anyone recommend a good ultra wide zoom for nikon they've had a good experience with? Crop sensor.

I've enjoyed the Sigma 8-16, particularly up in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ezekiel_980 posted:

He could try half or quarter drops.

droplets and minidrops, respectively.