Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm going to get the 50mm Nikon f/1.8 lens for my d3200 but there's one thing i'm not clear about.

There's two similarly priced versions: one with DX in the name, and one without. Product descriptions for the non-DX one say it will work with DX cameras - but is there any downside to getting this lens instead of the DX specific one?

edit: turns out i got this totally wrong and the 35mm is DX and the 50mm doesn't have 'DX' in the product name sorry everybody.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I've read and watched loads of comparison reviews and opinions on 35vs50 and I'm still not 100% decided.

I've got this camera primarily to take photos of our new(ish) baby so I'm thinking that the 50mm is most suited for that with the 18-55 kit lens being there for wider angle stuff.

I'll probably end up owning both eventually.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

evil_bunnY posted:

Just tape your zoom at 50 then 35 for a couple days and you'll see what you like (it'll be 35 I bet).

Hmm this is a good idea. One of the big reasons for getting the 50 was to get those nice blurry backgrounds but I can see the advantage and flexibility of the wider lens could be good.

Yes I know, I'm a photographic pleb.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Xabi posted:

Keep the kit lens and spend the money on a spa day for the missus. If not, go for the 35.

Nice idea but it's a bit early for her to be away from the baby all day - and to be honest she's as keen as i am on getting some good 'keeper' photos of the baby as she grows up - even with the kits lens the photos are miles better than anything we got from the bridge camera i was using before.

And thanks everyone you've given me a lot to think about. Still erring on the side of the 50mm tbh but i'm going to give it some more thought.

And like I said, whichever one I get, i'll no doubt get the other one too eventually.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think I'm going to get the 35mm lens.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So I did end up going for the 35mm. Love it and i'm having a lot of fun with it. Here's a picture.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Will I be happier with the Tamron 70-300mm or the Nikon 55-200mm (version 1) for my d3200?

I'm playing with the Tamron right now and 200mm seems more than enough zoom for me I don't need the extra focal length - but which of these similarly priced lenses will have the edge on image quality ? Does the Nikon have a faster autofocus and smoother zoom?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShadeofBlue posted:

There's something strange going on if those are similarly priced, the 55-200 should be something like $100 or less used and the Tamron about $300, unless I'm mixing up my versions.

Here's what i'm going by:

I guess the main difference apart from focal length is the VR on the Nikon.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah but that one is considerably more expensive my wife would not be happy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've been really pleased with the 35mm prime lens for my 3200 for taking pictures of my baby daughter.

Now she's getting more mobile I'm planing to get the 55-200 Nikon zoom to get more natural shots when she's running around.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not yet - planning to order it this week. I'll let you know how I get on!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pissflaps - did you get that Grey Import lens you were looking at on Amazon in the end?

OK so I got the lens today. £129.99 delivered. It's exactly what I was expecting - sent from an address in the UK but going by the language on the warranty card and a sticker on the box not intended for the UK market.

Still, at half the RRP i'm not complaining.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Get the 35mm prime.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’m thinking of a similar jump to a new 7200 from my 3200. I understand that in ideal conditions with the same lens they will both produce essentially the same image, but the draw for me is the additional manual controls, better body construction and the ability to use older lenses.

However the big one is the better autofocus - too often I end up with blurred images and while this is presumably largely down to me making the wrong choices when taking a photo, the superior 7200 autofocus will help, right?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nielsm posted:

That's a 1.3x crop of the 1.5x crop, for an effective 1.95x crop relative to 24x36 mm full frame.

What is the purpose of this isn’t it just a digital zoom?

Edit: sorry was answered in subsequent post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The little rubber cover that protects the battery grip connector has gone missing off my d7200. I can't find the magic words to use to buy a replacement anywhere. Is there a proper name or model number for this thing?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheBananaKing posted:

I would assume it's identical to this d7100 one because there's no mention of one specific to the d7200 on Nikon's site, but I dunno- https://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d7100-battery-grip-connector-cover-1k685-479.html

Looks like you have all the right terms, though.

That's the one. Least I have a part number ill have a dig through ebay. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pissflaps posted:

The little rubber cover that protects the battery grip connector has gone missing off my d7200. I can't find the magic words to use to buy a replacement anywhere. Is there a proper name or model number for this thing?

For closure in case anybody was worrying about this I found the little rubber cover in a bag today. You can only imagine the epic waves of relief that washed over me as I retrieved it. What a rush. Almost worth losing it in the first place.