Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Delivery McGee posted:

That's weird as hell -- doesn't the live view use a much crappier AF system than the mirror/prism has? I fear that your main circuit board is hosed.

Crappier for movement and speed, yes. But sometimes more accurate because it reads right off the imaging sensor instead of a secondary AF sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

This kind of weird product engineering it was made me choose Canon when I went FF. I think Nikon shooters were looking forward to a true 5D3 competitor and D700 successor and only sorta half got it.

Yeah yeah the Nikon/Sony sensors are "better" but I felt like features and handling wise I was compromising a lot less with Canon.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

powderific posted:

How is the D800 half a competitor to the 5DMkIII? I went from a 5D MkII to the D800 because I liked its sensor and feature set better so I'm curious about what you think was the compromise.

Sorry I was referring to the D750, but I'll explain my thinking. When I bought my 5D3 the only the D600 and D800 were available.

I rented both the D800 and 5D3 and for me, it came down to the 5D3 having better AF, more manageable files sizes, (to my eye) better video, and more FPS.

The D600 would have been nice as it was like $1300 cheaper, but the AF, shutter speed, no AF-ON button, no Av control during shooting etc etc made it a no go for me.

Then the 5D3 had better high ISO, works with more of my legacy lenses, and for my purposes, I like the Canon lens lineup a lot.

God damned I wish I could have had the Sony sensor in a Canon body though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

If you check my post history 80% of is making GBS threads on Canon though. I could have sworn I was going D600/D800 until about 2 weeks prior to my purchase.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Sigmas next A prime is supposed to be a 24. So soon you'll be able to do 24/35/50/85 all Sigma, all f1.4.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

My wife cries when I buy her camera stuff too.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

:siren: :siren: Nikon QA drama part III: D750 light leak internal ghosting (??) :siren: :siren:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331716/0

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

3200 or 7100. The 5XXX series is currently rocking a Toshiba sensor with different (worse?) noise and DR characteristics.

Personally I'd go 7100.

*edit* whoa upon further research I guess the 7100 has that sensor too. The 7000 has the Sony sensor. Who cares i guess, 7XXX has the focus motor and boss AF so go with that.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Afghan Girl was taken with an FM2 and a 100mm F2.5 on :smithicide: Kodachrome 64 :911:

I combo which I own and use (minus the kodachrome) to take pictures of my cats and also neighborhood dumpsters.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 11, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

GunForumMeme posted:

Is the D2XS good enough to start shooting weddings with or should I be looking elsewhere?

Are you good enough?

Also you might need a lens with that.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Don't bother with that old Tamron. Buy the new one, or buy a Nikon.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Ok, only buy the new Tamron then. I own one, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

It's almost like Nikon is interested in making and selling the best product they can, instead of frustratingly price engineering their whole range.