Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lethemonster posted:

WHY THE gently caress DID MY FUSION GO WRONG AND PRODUCE A DICK MONSTER

How did this get into the game?

Why is there a giant dick chariot in my compendium now?

WHAT THE gently caress?

I'm both amazed by how you hadn't heard of Mara and glad that another person has been introduced to her glory.

Mara owns. :allears:

Edit: Just for the record, Mara is available through normal fusion, it's not some "oh your fusion hosed up here's this special PENIS." kind of situation. She's of the Tower Arcana. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BreakAtmo posted:

I looked him up. That's not a strategy, that's starting a truck and driving it into things.

:getin::hf::getin:

Black Frost can straight up last you two more dungeons with how insane he is. He's really, really good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Thanks for the tidbits and stuff people. Made it through Yukikos castle today, after a minor gently caress up where I didn't realise I had a week to do the dungeon. I felt a little worried, cause every other day I had plans or was skipping out on people and couldn't go grind up more Personas or money, but I guess I should get over that, theres just so much to do and it feels like theres a strong time limit on everything. Could someone let me know how to unlock all the arcanas I won't get through the main story? Is there any, even?

You'll get Fool, Magician, Chariot, Priestess, Star, Hermit, Lovers, Justice, and Judgement through the main story.

Strength and Sun you should already have, and Hanged Man will be available through a similar event at some point. Moon is available through getting Strength rank 4.

Temperance, Devil (requires Diligence level 3 or so,) and Tower (requires maximum Understanding) are available through the bulletin board for jobs in the shopping district. Death is available once you get Devil rank 4.

Emperor and Fortune are unlocked by talking to the requisite party members that you don't have yet around the school, but Fortune requires maximum Courage AND Knowledge.

Hierophant is accessed by just talking to Dojima at night on his days off. He gets more of them if you complete dungeons early, so make that a priority. His and Nanako's links require Expression and Understanding at certain ranks.

Empress is available at some point once you go into the Velvet Room with Rank 3 Understanding.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BreakAtmo posted:

I just wish that there was some way, any way, of getting an extra turn on these rear end in a top hat bosses. It doesn't seem like too much to ask in a game where the main feature of the combat system is getting extra turns through smart tactics. Oh well, moving on, and I'll make sure to remember your advice for next time.

Well there's getting a critical hit, but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I'm really enjoying this game, despite my massive complaining post about it, and I was wondering about the other games in this series. How is Nocturne compared to Persona 4?

I prefer the battle system, but it can be rather difficult if you're used to the easy level of difficulty Persona 4 brought to the table. Some of the mechanics are a bit more obtuse (namely some of the fusions are pretty obscure, and I don't know how you'd find them, i.e. Gurr is doing a sacrifice fusion with two demons that make Sparna and then sacrificing a Tyrant, what? :psyduck:) The dungeons are far, far more involved and not procedurally generated like the Persona dungeons, which is a large part of why I like it better.

Also the main character beats demons to death with his bare hands and can also fire lasers out of his skull and breathe fog. Nocturne is rad as hell.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

^burtle posted:

I had pretty bad luck with AI party control in P4, I guess I'll mull it over some more.

It's worse in Persona 3, go with Portable. Portable also comes with a main character who isn't an awful person.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

projecthalaxy posted:

a quality romance option that is neither a co-worker or an apparent 9-year-old

Ai.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nate RFB posted:

My main problem with Sun, Strength, Tower, Death, etc. is that they don't really impact the actual plot in the same way the others do. Nothing changes whether you do them or not.

Nothing changes if you do the party social links, either, aside from the gameplay benefits.

Edit: I mean unless this is some kind of new Golden-exclusive change.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Italax posted:

The social links for the party do change slightly depending on where you are in the main story though, like it'll alter dialogue slightly. I noticed it most with Yosuke, who talks about the investigation a lot during his Social Link.

Oh, yes, they do. This is a thing that happens. I'm just saying it doesn't go the other way around.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Eh, different strokes, I suppose. Personally I couldn't care less about, say, Yukiko or Rise, but very much enjoyed a number of the non-party Social Links.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MrAristocrates posted:

Moon is actually a really great Social Link you guys. :colbert:

You tell them. :colbert::hf::colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I actively refused to use teams aside from Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie. I have only ever used Naoto while redoing Void Quest way too late.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KoB posted:

Whats a Persona game without working through teen angst?

Eternal Punishment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Soul Glo posted:

- Does it matter which girl the MC chooses to date? Story or stats-wise?
- I really wanna use Kanji, but if I don't, will he still show up in the story? Same for other characters? His dialogue is the best so far, not sure if it works like Mass Effect or something.
- Do you have to watch The Midnight Channel to see who gets kidnapped, or will the game force you to when someone is kidnapped?

Which girl you date matters to two scenes later in the game and gets you an item in one of them. It's not that important.

The story remains the same whichever characters you use, but you should still use Kanji because he rules and does huge damage.

The game will force you to watch the Midnight Channel to confirm a kidnapping.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do I necessarily need a guide to max all the s. links? I'm on my second playthrough so my "real life" stats (courage etc.) are maxed, so I don't have to worry about that.

Nah. Just don't be willfully obtuse about it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I said come in! posted:

I screwed up. :( I didn't throw that one bad guy into the T.V., but Nanako survived, Teddie left to go back to his world, and then I got the ending. What did I do wrong? There's suppose to be one more dungeon where you face the god that created the t.v. world and put the town into fog.

Did you stop Yosuke from throwing him into the TV?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, I guess before the "Year of Persona 4" (Golden, The Animation, Arena, the two spinoffs nobody talks about)

Two? I can only think of the novel about Naoto and the transforming cyborg motorcycle dude. There was another one?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Snix posted:

on top of a rival Persona group fighting you.

You're seriously calling Strega a point in Persona 3's favor?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Iceclaw posted:

Chidori and Junpei's subplot is way too melodramatic, especially her death, and make Junpei even more annoying than he is already.

This is the only point of contention I have with your statement. Chidori is kind of lame as a standalone, but her subplot was the reason Junpei was the only good character in vanilla P3 by virtue of actually being kind of a human being instead of a vehicle for the main character to constantly enable and/or Koromaru who is exempt from any and all judgment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Shinjiro is excellent in P3P, but P3P still didn't do Ken any favors.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Snix posted:

Oh, the female route? P3P was the first game I played in the series, but I've still never played the female route. I need to do that sometime.

You should. Most of the Social Links in the female route aren't horrible people. (Losing out on Maya is a shame, but still.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Long story short, Aigis learns the meaning of friendship and becomes a real girl. There you go, you no longer have to play The Answer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Color Printer posted:

I can't find The Answer on the LPs in the archive. I don't think anyone did it.

Must not've looked very hard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Soul Glo posted:

- What exactly goes over to New Game Plus? I read Personas do, but if your level doesn't, does that really matter? Is it just so fusing is easier?
- I'd like to get Persona 4: Arena, but have we heard yet whether the sequel to that game includes the story from the first, meaning, is the sequel more of "original game plus another length of story" or is it a stand alone sequel? Would rather not drop $30 on Arena 1 if Arena Super Duper Suplex Edition includes Arena 1.

Your Persona Compendium operates independently of your level, so you could buy up, say, a level 77 guy even if you're level 2. You also get to keep your money for such a purpose.

The sequel to Arena, knowing ArcSys, will probably not contain the story from the first game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Different options boost the Social Link by different amounts. You picked the right one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Prozach posted:

Question about Social Links. When you max one out, can you just leave them alone for basically the rest of the game and go focus on everyone else? I maxed out Chie's, and it feels weird to me to just flatout ignore her for the rest of the game now that she's at the highest level. At the same time, if there's nothing left to be gained from choosing to hang out with her, I want to maximize my options as much as I can.

Assuming you're playing Golden, hanging out with her one more time in January will get you a special cool thing (same with the other party members whose Social Links you max out,) but aside from that you can ignore her.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rei_ posted:

So I'm into... November, I think? I'm at Heaven but my courage hasn't been high enough to start hanging out with Naoto yet, or my Understanding high enough to do the Tower Arcana... Which I think I'll need to finish the Empress Arcana's last rank. Do I still have time for all of this or am I hosed? I really just wanted to finish that god drat beef bowl.

Yes. You do not require any Social Links completed to do the Empress social link (though having Tower at rank 6 helps speed the process along for the last guy,) and Tower is a night link so you should have plenty of time to do it once you get there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kuai posted:

So I completely forgot about maxing Maries social link I can still get the true ending right?

Yeah, all Marie's Social Link lets you get is the epilogue.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Zoness posted:

Is it Satan?

Look at his avatar.

That's :thejoke: isn't it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
But Satan and Lucifer are two different people in this seriesssss

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My favorite Persona is Amaterasu.

In the games where she's not a Persona because I never use Yukiko :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Could someone give me a quick break down of the new Persona games coming out? I see a sequel to Arena and 5, but what are the rest?

The other two are Persona Q, an Etrian Odyssey/Persona crossover wherein the casts of Persona 3 and 4 team up to perform dungeon-crawling and have Scooby Doo antics, and Persona 4 Dancing All Night, which just watch the trailer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A few things though; jesus the dungeons are way more grueling here. I'm on floor 30 or so and I'm not even at the second barrier yet. Things feel a lot more difficult and I'm constantly feeling like one battle from death. The relatively limited (for now) pool of personas isn't helping. Some of the characters are a little grating, too. Junpei I imagine will get better with some time, but him and the girl are just a little bland and faceless right now. Looking forward to having a robot and a dog as my main party.

Does the boxer guy ever stop being a vaguely passive aggressive cockend?

No, because Akihiko is actually too dense to be passive aggressive.

Also I'm sorry to say that the robot is actually going to be the most bland character. (Junpei is the best character though.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Team Bro is the best team and Kanji is the lynchpin of Team Bro by being a master shitbeater, Kanji is da illest. So is Teddie. Yosuke helps I guess sometimes

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Captain Oblivious posted:

(EXCEPT THE LOVERS SOCIAL LINK THE LOVERS SOCIAL LINK IS SNEAKY).

I thought the sneaky one was Moon?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just maintain a healthy disdain for the Lovers character like I do and you'll be fine, really. It's not very hard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

UberJumper posted:

but Marie seems pretty awesome :allears:

I think this is actually the first time these words have been unironically spoken on these forums. Good job on your first, UberJumper!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Adachi is Hella ExcellentTM and the ability to hang with him is the best part of Golden, true fact.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

UberJumper posted:

I managed to clear Kanji's dungeon on the first day it was made available. I blew through every single soul item i had, as well as all my tap soda. However those little tomatoes were so key. Does this just mean i get a bunch of extra days to just hangout with people?

Yep! Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Danbri posted:

That's the beautiful thing about this world we live in. Everybody has different likes.

Do you care about Kanji at all you monster.

• Locked thread