Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OK, so, I am in dire need of some help here. Shadow Rise, according to my googling, is supposed to be one of the game's relatively easy fights since she's just a warm up for Shadow Teddie. However, I'm finding her to be horribly, ridiculously overpowered, due to her total lack of weaknesses. The most effective strategy I've found is to use Chie's Revolution and rush her, but the critical rate is still bad, and it takes considerable luck for me to even get her to the first bit of dialogue. The problem is just that while she has no weaknesses, I do, and when she's using hit-every-character elemental magic most of the time, she WILL get a weakness, and often ends up landing 3 or even 4 turns in a row while I'm totally unable to do the same. My current lack of revival beads doesn't help (Yukiko does have Recarm, though). How the hell do I fight an powerful boss with no weaknesses in a game where the combat is all about exploiting weaknesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Try fusing up a Persona with no elemental weaknesses. You also may want to fuse up a healing Persona so you can back Yukiko up, especially something with Recarm so you can revive her if she dies. Of course, if worse comes to worse, you can always drop out of the dungeon and grab some Revival Beads, assuming you're not on the last day (and even if you are, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get the game over, it'll move you back a week) Accessories that grant Dodge <Element> skills are useful for protecting your weaknesses as well, if you've got any, and make sure to cast (Ma)sukukaja and/or Sukunda.

Physical attacks are a good strategy. Use Chie's Revolution and go with hard-hitting physicals with her and the MC (multi-hit ones are the best, since you get that many extra chances to crit), but stick with magic with Yukiko. If you've been leveling Kanji up, you might consider using him instead of Yosuke, so you can smash her with more powerful physical hits. Having both Kanji and Chie is kind of redundant, but it shouldn't matter too much.

You don't have to drain her to 0 HP, by the way. After awhile plot will take over, I think it's something like half her heath, but I'm not sure.

Thanks. I don't know how much the Persona with the lack of weaknesses will do, though - my main problem is that she usually lands one of the others' weaknesses and gets a free turn off of that. I'm constantly getting Chie being hit by Maragi or Maragion, or Yukiko hit by Mabufu, and then she uses Bufula on Yukiko, and then uses another Ma- ability, and by that point I'm basically dead without being able to do anything at all - even stuff like Maragi when used on characters with no fire weakness still seems to nuke 50% of their health. I don't know why the hell I'm taking so much damage, my levels are around 30-32.

I'll look at what accessories I have, and switch over to Kanji, but it just seems like such an unfair fight. She gets to constantly hit every character at once for huge damage and get new turns even if she only exploits a single weakness, but when I try to respond in kind the game is just like "Nope". I'll keep up the Revolution and do what I can.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I'd put items that boost evade on all of your party members, if you can.

Otherwise, it might work to just fuse a Persona with no weakness, and have your other party members guard every turn. If they're guarding, weaknesses are nulled.

Ok, didn't know about guarding nullifying weaknesses. That did it. Thanks. Now for Shadow Teddie, I suppose. This is going to suck, isn't it?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

He's not too tough, just a gigantic slog. The good thing about him is that he doesn't have any tricks up his sleeve like Shadow Rise, just wail on him while keeping your HP and defenses up. Running out of MP is the real danger, I find.

He also has a super powerful gimmick move that Rise warns you about, and is nullified completely if you guard. So that's fairly easy to deal with.

Sorry, but he just completely wiped me out. He hit everyone so loving hard with one attack that Yukiko went from 100% health to dead immediately. Now I have to beat Shadow Rise all over again, and I'll have to beat her all over again every time Shadow Teddie kills me. gently caress you, Atlus. It's this kind of poo poo that makes people want to just stop playing a game. I just wish there was a Regen-like spell - I keep ending up spending every turn healing and this unable to progress, because of the huge damage dealt to everyone.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ok, I beat Shadow Teddie. I see the point that he's more of a HP wall than actually 'tough'. Still, I did end up having to do some leveling - the key to victory ended up being a Ganga that I got to learn Mediarama. That combined with the Ganga's ice absorption was about 80% of how I won. And yes, constant smart guarding whenever he did a charge was very much my friend. Thanks for the help in showing up that rear end in a top hat nihilist.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Really Pants posted:

drat, man, you didn't even have any mid-tier heals at Shadow Teddie? You were definitely underleveled.

My levels were around 30-32. The Ganga was Lv33. Yosuke was underleveled at 26, swapping him out for Lv31 Kanji definitely helped. I've been trying to level Yosuke more now. I also got him his follow-up attack.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just something I wanted to check - when you use Traesto to escape a dungeon, you can go straight back to the floor you escaped from, right? Just like with a Goho-M? I'm at the top of Void Quest, so I want to be sure.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dezinus posted:

It should be fine. I believe you'll always go to the highest floor you've been to, unless you restart from the first floor. But it should be the same as Goho-ms in any case.

Excellent, thanks. I need to leave so I can fuse some Personas and buy better gear to fight Shadow Mitsuo. He wiped me last time before I could even remove half his heath (and I was nearly out of SP by that point) but now Yu's gone from Lv40 to Lv48, with Chie, Yukiko and Teddie along for the ride. I really need to go grind with Yosuke after this is done, he's only Lv29.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 3, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Annath posted:

Just a heads up, spoilers are tagged

code:
[spoiler] SPOILY STUFF HERE [/spoiler]

Thanks, I fixed it. I know the tags, I just completely forgot to do the second one. I should probably do them both from the start then write inbetween them.

Also, I beat Shadow Mitsuo. Is there a real strategy to killing him, or is he just the exhausting, high-damaging, zero-weakness HP wall that he seems and you just have to grind until you're strong enough to win?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes, there's a strategy. It's called Black Frost, baby :getin:

I looked him up. That's not a strategy, that's starting a truck and driving it into things.

:getin::hf::getin:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Apart from Black Frost, it also helps to have lots of Wall Paprika to protect whoever's weak against whichever element he switches to after you Down him.

Yeah, I ended up just plain getting lucky with that part.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Woo-hoo, I maxed out the Chariot Arcana. I really must max more Social Links.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can definitely play that way if you want to but it will make some bosses really hard when your party does dumb things. They also don't always conserve SP properly if you want them to.

Being able to control your teammates is new to Golden, right? That loving boggles my mind after some of the fights I've gone through using Direct Commands.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ajkalan posted:

No, direct control was introduced in the original game. It was, however, added to Persona 3 Portable after not being in the original P3.

Oh, thank god. That must be what I was thinking of. I just starting thinking of the hell that Persona 4 without Direct Commands would be.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Guys, I need your help - is there any way at all of changing the order in which my characters take their turns in a round? A certain late-game boss keeps killing me pretty much entirely due to this one issue.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

AG3 posted:

The order is decided by the agility stat of each member. The exception is the first turn, which will always allow the protagonist to move first. Not sure if this changes if the enemy gets an advantage attack on you, since my MC is usually always the one with the highest agility anyway.

poo poo. I'm at Namatame and I want to have the others go first to find out which element he buffed with Quad Converge, THEN switch to the appropriate Persona, but the game forces me to take the MC's turn first, so I have to guess which Persona to switch to. If I get it wrong, I'm dead.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Revitalized posted:

You could always just pick a defensive Persona and guard your first turn.

The thing is that I was trying to find out what element had been buffed ASAP. I will give this a shot though.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

If you have Magic Mirrors/Makaracorn/a Persona with the Makarakarn skill, use them. If you don't have those, you should be able to fuse Lilith quite easily at this point.

Thanks. I do actually have Magic Mirrors, but they didn't work. Here's how the last time went.

Namatame: Quad Converge
Yu: Switch to Hokuto-Seikun (weak to Fire, repels electric), use Ziodyne, does tiny damage.
Chie: Bufula, puny damage.
Naoto: Garudyne, puny danage.
Yukiko: Magic Mirror on Yu.
Namatame: Maragiodyne, gets repelled by Magic Mirror but still gets another turn due to hitting Chie. Maragiodyne again, hits Yu for weakness, gets a third turn, Maragiodyne AGAIN, kills me.

I guess guarding after Quad Converge is the only method, which kind of sucks. I wish it was remotely possible to find out what element got the buff BEFORE switching Personas, which would be possible if you had more control over the order of turns. The fact that there are no weaknesses to the bosses in a game which is all about exploiting weaknesses strikes me as unfair already, but this guy really annoys me. I'm probably underleveled though - Yu is at about Lv63, with the others around Lv60.

Either way, I'll see if I can get Makarakarn. If not, guarding.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Thanks guys, but I ended up beating him. It was some grueling poo poo and I had to blow some good items including my only Soma when he was nearly dead, but I got there. I made sure to guard after Quad Converge, and I also did some fusing so that I had at least one repelling Persona for every element. His break moves still hosed around with that strategy but I was able to get some decent repels on him. I just wish that there was some way, any way, of getting an extra turn on these rear end in a top hat bosses. It doesn't seem like too much to ask in a game where the main feature of the combat system is getting extra turns through smart tactics. Oh well, moving on, and I'll make sure to remember your advice for next time.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Well there's getting a critical hit, but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for.

Can you actually get a critical on them? I've gone through multiple bossfights including this one doing plenty of physicals, often using Revolution and Apt Pupil, and I have never gotten a Critical Hit, so I assumed that most later bosses were simply immune to them.

W.T. Fits posted:

Grats on making it past him. And you're better off using items like that in tough fights like this anyway; if you use it and win, then you can keep going on with the game. If you use it and lose, at least you'll still have it when you reload your save. But if you try and save it for later and keep dying as a result, then it's not doing you any good to hold on to it anyway.

Yeah, I agree that this is the sort of thing you should save items for, it's just that he only had a few hundred HP left when I was forced into using it. I almost made it out without the Soma. Oh well

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Um, can anyone help me with Ameno-sagiri? I was going along just fine, attacking, Matarakarning and healing, had taken off over half his health, gotten past the fog section by guarding, and then he suddenly just used two Megidolas in a row with zero warning and everyone went from full health to dead.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bogart posted:

Is this a reoccurring thing? I don't recall that boss doing that when I beat him. Could have just been a bad RNG roll. I'd say just try again. :)

This might be the case. I've had annoying bosses unexpectedly kill me by getting a lucky weakness hit or two, but this was the first time the attacks were just straight up 'do enough damage to wipe everyone's health' after I'd gone through half the battle just fine. Now I have to beat Adachi all over again too, and very possibly just get killed by the same double Megidola. gently caress. Atlus really pisses me off sometimes. "Yeah, lets put two bosses in a row, give the second boss no lead-up and really powerful attacks, not heal the party between fights, etc. I'm all for challenge, but a lot of the time it feels more "Oh, you're not literally psychic? Die now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

There's always the chance that you're too weak to fight him level-wise and even though you've got a solid plan, that means nothing when he can drop you whenever he wants. Are you and the three members you're bringing for the fight in the 70s?

Yep, they're early-to-mid 70s. Like I said, I got through more than half the fight just fine, surviving his attacks, healing, doing decent damage, etc. Then he used 2 Megidolas and I just died, immediately after using a Mediarahn. It was basically a completely unannounced mid-battle difficulty spike.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, you might be underleveled. Adachi isn't really hard enough that he should give you any real trouble.

Oh, he didn't give me real trouble, I was just referring to the annoyance of having to spend time fighting him again. I'll kill him, I'd just much prefer to not have to. It's Shadow Rise and Shadow Teddie all over again, without the mid-battle heal.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 5, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I remember always having Debilitate active on the boss. Are you using buffs? Marakukaja and Masukukaja are definitely worth using along with Debilitate, which is most easily gotten from Trumpeter.

I did use some buffs, but they weren't constantly active, which is hopefully something I can fix the next time. I've never even heard of Debilitate.

For reference, here are my current Personae.

Lv64 Uriel
Lv61 Belphegor
Lv74 Jatayu
Lv69 Siegfried
Lv67 Hokuto Seiken
Lv71 Loki
Lv68 Yatagarasu
Lv65 Ananta
Lv70 Barong
Lv60 Daisoujou
Lv77 Tzizimitl
Lv59 Harati

I probably just to use a Goho-M and do some fusion.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Debilitate is one of the best spells in the game. It's an all-in-one debuff (the same as casting Tarunda+Rakunda+Sukunda) for one target, which works wonders for boss battles.

Trumpeter is one of the special six-way fusions. Norn can get it too if you have maxed out Fortune and you fuse Clotho+Lachesis+Atropos.

Sounds like something I want. Sadly I haven't been able to max out Fortune yet, and I doubt I have the six different Personae for Trumpeter. My maxed social links are Fool and Star(obviously), Priestess, Chariot, Sun, and Aeon. Are their maxed Personae good for anything here?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Well, I did some leveling and fusing, tried again, and... got killed by the exact same thing. Megidola, then another Megidola. This really is utter horseshit.

For reference, he did it right after his buffs from when he put up the fog wore off.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

Did you have everyone guard while their defense was buffed up? Because if so and you still died, you (unfortunately) may need to get another level or two.

I wasn't guarding, because there was no warning. I can't just have everyone guarding every single turn.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

I think Atmo's saying that once the boss's buffs go down, he busts out the Megiolas, which murders him. Last I checked, the boss does a different attack twice after the Fog goes down, so that's probably not what's catching him off-guard. (Though I probably misread again.)

It went like this:

- fog
- couple of buffs
- fog removal, oculus beam which I survived by guarding

Then a couple more turns of standard fighting, followed by those buffs wearing off after their 3 turns and him immediately doing the Megidola x2 and killing me.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

In that case, you'd probably need to weaken either his attack or hit/evasion (I've had Megidola miss about half the time when I did it)while buffing your party's defense and evasion on the same turn and hopefully getting the guard ready before the buffs wear off for both sides. I honestly don't know how else you could deal with it because while he used Megidola without warning on me, he almost never did it twice in a row. Your only other option is to grind and I'm sure you'd rather avoid that whenever possible.

Thanks, but I got him. He never did the Megidola x2 this time, thankfully. I'm not sure if it had anything to me using Dekaja when the fog disappeared. That last third was fun - I had Yu buff defense every turn so that he'd waste a turn using Dekaja every single round. That plus Yukiko's Mediarahn meant I simply had to grind him down with Megidola and Gods Hand (and Agidyne on the rare occasion where he didn't do an all-party attack).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I honestly don't understand why people use Yoshitsune, it sucks any fun or strategy out of the game.

Also, you need to use Dekaja, man, and get a Marakukaja up.

Like I said, already done. :D And I did use both of those. After I posted here I did some fusion and got a Hachiman with both the attack and defense buffs and I kept them up permanently. I also got a Lv80 Kaguya with Dekaja, Mediarahn and Spell Master, so that helped.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Firebert posted:

They really need to make a P3P:Golden for 3ds and Vita, especially with the animated series coming out and P5 likely? (hopefully!) bringing a bunch of P3 characters back.

Minako is canon. :colbert:

Agreed. An enhanced Vita port of FES with the P4/P4G graphics/gameplay improvements and the female main character option. That would be awesome. Maybe also throw in an extra social link and some more Personae, even voice some of the text-only lines.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also if you pick the wrong one enough times just to see what they say you get a game over!

This pissed me off so much. Did I miss a warning or something?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Well, if you screw up two times, the game will say something about this being your absolute last chance.

I must have missed that. Still a really dumb idea, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not really, considering it shouldn't really take you more than 3 if you paid attention.

Yes really, because plenty of people want to see what the others' options say - they even wrote unique reasonings for several of them. I already knew who the killer was anyway since I'd been spoiled.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't see why its unreasonable to assume that they didn't expect people to want to go down the list specifically to see the dialogue on every single possible choice.

Well, that's what I did, since I like looking at the various little optional bits and pieces you can see in the game. P4G really comes off to me as that sort of game. From picking Hanako and Nanako I saw that they seemed to have written separate entries for everyone, and I was interested to see more, and I must have skipped the warning. Suddenly I get a game over.

quote:

e: It also was probably done to prevent someone from just going down the list mindlessly without thinking.

This, however, I do kind of get. It still feels arbitrary though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.

gently caress yes. My never buying the original due to the region issues has paid off. Hopefully they don't region lock this.

So, something I'm not clear on - is this a sequel-sequel with a new story set after P4 or even the Golden Epilogue, or is it just 'P4A Turbo' with a slew of gameplay upgrades?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It's a literal adaptation of the game. So yeah, it spoils it.

Or from a certain point of view, the game spoils the anime. :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sonic is totally gonna be a secret Persona, isn't he?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Persona 4 Arena 2 is now called Persona 4: The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold.

They're adding a new character (besides the 2 from P3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Toe2yX7nqU

Nice. Though it'll likely have a more succinct English title. In Japan, Persona 4 Arena is Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It also seems that Ultimax is an actual sequel:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/26/persona-4-ultimax-ultra-suplex-hold-arrives-winter-yukari-junpei-sho-minazuki/

quote:

Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold continues the story after the events in Persona 4 Arena. A few days after P4A, a new tournament pops up on Mayonaka TV called the P-1 Climax. A bizarre red fog covers the streets of Inaba and an image of a figure that looks like Mitsuru being crucified is shown on TV. S.E.E.S. and the Special Investigation Squad work together to figure out what’s going on behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sorry, double post. Stupid phone.

• Locked thread