Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I like dudes (and ladies), but I happen to be engaged to a particular dude. :)

Oh, and I also saw a Chie while waiting in line at the convention, but she wasn't interested in saying hi or getting photos or anything. Chie didn't want to social link with me.

Chie's just upset about getting upstaged in P4G by Kanji's new Power Charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The AI is fine in P3

...As long as you only use Aigis, Koromaru and Yukari :v:

Therein comes the problem, where P3P gives you a social link with The Best Dog, but it also means Mitsuru stops trying to Marin Karin enemies and starts outclassing Koromaru in terms of damage. Do you want Koromaru to be outclassed?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Generally speaking, which are the best SLs to go for early, in regards to Persona fusing? I remember in the original P4 Strength was a good one early on because Valkyrie was handy against Shadow Yukiko, but that's it. I hear Black Frost is useful against Shadow Mitsuo, but he's Fool so you can't brute force that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Daisuke can't be the killer, he's not interested in girls. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sun aside, which is the better Strength link in your opinion?

I can't not do Daisuke's link anymore, Kou's is pretty good in and of itself but Daisuke's is probably far more relatable, and feels more accurate for the Arcana (though Strength is a pretty broad Arcana anyway).

Also 'make sure you wear clean boxers' is such an amazing line. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Really Pants posted:

Okay, I cannot find a drat guide that spells the steps out properly and no two of them agree with each other. What are the exact requirements for the secret boss?

--I've seen that you need Clear Data from the true ending. Does that include the epilogue, or not?
--I know you need to beat all the optional bosses, too. What's the deadline for that?

I'm assuming you mean Margaret? The wiki says you need to be on a second cycle of a True Ending, the first one being a True Ending, complete the Empress SL and beat all optional bosses before Magatsu Inaba, then go to the Velvet Room before talking to the gas station attendant.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just wondering, what are the party's reactions to Naoto's Yaso High costume? I've heard Kanji has a particularly interesting one. Then again, it involves actually dating Naoto, so... eh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

redreader posted:

Thanks for the heads up. drat.... looks like I should just restart from the 'bad ending' new game I got, or go back to october if I still have a save, and replay a lot of the game.

If you can finish Marie's SL before the December dungeon, you should be able to blow the extra month on doing Naoto's.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cannot Find Server posted:

For the most part, Chie is the worst party member overall, but I keep her on the team all game because Galactic Punt is just so good.

Chie's not so much bad as 'outclassed by Kanji if you don't need Agneyestra or the enemies aren't using Wind attacks'. Dragon Hustle helps but it eats away so much at Chie's limited SP pool.

There really isn't anybody that's awful, though I'm not really that fond of Naoto until Shield of Justice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4G gives you a bit more time after December to work on Nanako and Dojima, but since they're out of commission the longest get them done when you can.

And you've got the gist down. Just remember any school students likely aren't available right before exams. Also, do Jester whenever possible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just wondering though, how strict is it to max out all the Social Links and read all the books in one playthrough? I just started on kadfc's walkthrough of the game and I've missed on a couple days and I think my Knowledge is higher/Courage is lower than where they are at the moment. I just recruited Kanji.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yosuke's anguished wail as his scooter violently detonates is really the cherry on top.

I say this as someone who likes Yosuke. It's still magnificent.

Personally it's when the camera pans to Hanako just as the music shifts. It's utterly brilliant.

I finally started P4G a couple weeks ago, and it is a ball. In the Shadow Lab now and I don't know why but I love that you can actually be in the mid-50s midgame when P3 had you trying to get there by endgame.

I've also got a second playthrough on the side as a bit of a challenge run - characters other than MC can only use skills gained from their Social Link or bike dates. Man, Yukiko and Teddie are a lot harder to use now, though I'm only in July on that one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Really Pants posted:

Kanji and Chie do the same stuff, but they're also your two best damage dealers until you can get Yukiko's Mind Charge and ultimate Persona. They're great together against any boss that's not immune to Physical.

They're comparable but I'd say Chie is far better for dungeon crawling and Kanji better for bosses. I tend to prefer Chie on bosses that love physical attacks because High Counter.

And I pretty much don't regret using Teddie over Yukiko once he came in, those buffs outstrip Yukiko's damage for me.

In any case, is it possible to get the Risette trophy without getting the underleveled lines? I'm going to be doing NG+ for the secret boss anyway since I've heard the lines carry over but it'd be sweet if I can get it in one playthrough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also why Naoto is useless? I never used him.

Naoto's a lot better than in the original, because now access to all six elements is possible, and the Persona has no weaknesses. The flipside is that there isn't really a skill to hit multiple opponents except for physical attacks, which you have better characters for (Chie, Yukiko, even Yosuke).

Probably the most improved character from the PS2 version, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Entenzahn posted:

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Means I still have five days left for the whole thing, but who am I kidding, I'll probably procrastinate until the last possible moment, as always.

For the November dungeon you might want to knock that out early on though since the Investigation team won't be available for Social Linking or anything else till you do the rescue.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AG3 posted:

Working at the hospital was never really the same after sexual harassment nurse quit.

At least you can still work there. I want my 10,000 yen tutoring job back! :argh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iceclaw posted:

That's actually something that's missing to P3/P4: a fight against another persona group, with equal numbers on each side, each with their own movesets and elemental affinities.

The Answer kinda does this with the Arena? Though really any fight between Persona users would likely be stacked in favour of the side with a Wild Card user.

Also I really need to finish P3P at some point - is there any point in going after Elizabeth/Theo and Margaret aside from VIDEO GAME ACHIEVEMENTS and how difficult would it be? Most of the cast is sitting around the 80s last I remembered.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Kanji's radical change at the end of P4G really hurt the writers since they now have to plan everything P4 related in that one year if they want to keep Kanji's traditional look.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of Chie with her hair grown out, though the less seen of Yukiko's final hairstyle, the better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I think Kanji looks great. It kinda looks like he's mimicking his favourite senpai's style.

Kanji's favourite senpai is the Tower kid?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Flumpus posted:

Hey guys, got a question...

How do y'all handle the level of all your party members? When I got Kanji, I picked him in place of Yosuke, then picked Teddie instead of Kanji when I got him. I need to go back and hit the optional bosses in the Bath House and Stripclub, so I could probably use the lower level party members to grind up to a reasonable level there, but just curious if everyone is being careful to swap out party members to even things out, or just picking a party and sticking with it.

It's very easy to keep everyone pretty evenly levelled, though MC and Rise will end up ahead.

It's also possible to stick with your favourites if you don't mind the MC patching up in certain fights.

Dehry posted:

Also, don't hug Yukari

Funnily this also applies to Rise.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Prozach posted:

I understood the crux of what it meant, but it just seemed so far out of character to how she was introduced that it's just not believable, and she doesn't seem to change the way she interacts with Yukiko much at all from how she was like before. I dunno, it just bugged me how we get a character whose shown to be pretty independent and indifferent of other people's opinions, then get told that she's actually somewhat spiteful and manipulative at heart, and THEN we proceed as normal with zero apparent personality change with us all operating under the pretense that she's different now. It's not really a growth of self-understanding like you can see with Kanji and Yukiko, it's just creating a character flaw for the sake of not Mary Sue-ing her. That could be an overexaggeration on my part though.

The last part seems to match up with my opinion of her too, yeah. It's as if they created a minor buggaboo in the character that you could argue wasn't even apparent beforehand, and overexaggerated the hell out of it so that they could create a boss fight.

Chie's problem isn't quite as major as Kanji's or Naoto's, that's for sure. It's slightly more apparent if you date her, but it's not a major aspect. I don't think it really detracts from her character, but it would have been nice if we could see some results of her confrontation with her Shadow. Maybe incorporate Chie into towards the end of Yukiko's SL, to stick up for her friend?

The funny thing is that Chie is probably my favourite of the dateable girls - she's fully aware she's not as pretty or smart or charismatic as the other girls, and it makes her really swell with both surprise and happiness when you do actually date her. The Valentine's Event is really sweet.

On the flipside, while I don't dislike Yosuke, I feel he could have been a much stronger character. His SL, while acceptable, seems to go all over the place - from his relationship with Saki, to dealing with people at Junes, to his left-over jealousy at the MC, to being cooped up in Inaba - there isn't really a very central point. Same with Yukiko - she's an okay character, but she could have been so much better. Her Shadow's brilliantly VAed, which makes me sad that her actual voice is kind of... bland when she's not laughing.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 11, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine once you get past the two biggest roadblocks (Shadow Yukiko/Kanji) then an Izanagi-only run seems pretty feasible. Shadow Yukiko being weak to Bufu really helps speeds things along, since you can just chuck Ice Cubes at her.

If you want to make things even harder, restrict the party members to only use Attack, Items and Persona abilities that they get from Social Links and bike dates. So Yukiko pretty much loses... everything except Mudo(on) and Amrita.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Leper Colon V posted:

That would be a bit TOO absurd, I think.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with Izanagi-only, but I've done it - the opening is really difficult since Yosuke can't heal you with Dia, but again once you push past Shadow Kanji it gets slightly better (or even before if you get Yosuke to learn Diarama). Yukiko's a little shafted but at least she gets Mudo, whereas Teddie is near useless save for Samarecarm.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hunt11 posted:

Learn how to optimally hunt down the Hand enemies and levelling up should never be too much of an issue. So try to get a strong physical persona or even better yet one that can use the almighty attacks.

Failing that, have Yosuke Sukakaja Chie and use Rampage, you should be able to land at least one or two hits on them, hopefully critting them and getting a One More or All Out Attack.

It's weird, I thought Chie learned Apt Pupil at some point but I can't find it in her skill lists. Might be my imagination, or the wiki's outdated and I can't be bothered checking my own game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AG3 posted:

I just hope they stay closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in terms of characters and overall "feeling". I vastly, vastly prefer the light heartedness of P4 to the grimdark of P3.

I think they've said P5 is definitely going to be closer to P3's darker theme compared to P4's.

Personally I'm just waiting to see what kind of animal character's going to join our party.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People seemed to dislike Ken even before P3P though.

Personally I wanted to not dislike him but every single one of his voice clips grates on me for some reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You also never need Fool, Star or Judgement Personas since they're all story based. And Jester Personas aren't needed after Rank 6.

Black Frost and Trumpeter are still worth fusing, however.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As far as I know, they're exactly the same. You might just be less prepared for them since the bosses of their respective dungeons were made easier.

You can just leave out Yukiko for the Officer fight. That way you'll only have to deal with Kanji's Wind weakness.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Really, every character has their merits. The least useful I've generally felt was Teddie - Chie can cover Ice for knockdowns, if not damage, Yukiko is a much better healer and offensive force, and Yosuke and Kanji can supply evasion and attack buffs, which means the only thing Teddie has that's uniquely useful is a defense buff, and having a healer who's also on buffing jobs is iffy because they're just so busy. Even his stats aren't distributed right - he doesn't get a good enough physical skill to make up for all those points in Strength instead of something like Magic, Vitality or Agility.

Best scenario would be to run both Teddie and Yukiko, with the third being Yosuke or Kanji. That frees up healing and one buff off him, letting him actually Bufudyne enemies once in a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sun Drama is the guilty romance SL in my opinion because you feel like a tool either way.

Actually, both Sun romance SLs are bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UberJumper posted:

Is there anything really important changes i should know about going from P4 to Persona 4 Golden?

The first two bosses were made easier, and fusion is also easier since you can pick what skills to pass down now. You get more time than before to finish your Social Links (about an extra month), and there are two new Social Links, Jester and Aeon, with some Personas moved to their Arcana and new ones added. If you want to max them out, Jester needs to hit Rank 6 before November and Aeon needs to be maxed before you finish the December dungeon. Completing Aeon also gets you an extra dungeon in February and access to the new Golden ending.

There are a few days eaten up by new events they put in during the summer and school year, and you can explore at nighttime about a month or so into the game (which lets you do things like pray at the shrine to boost SLs, meet SLs outside and spend time with them, and pick up scooters or models to work on in your room).

At some point you also get access to a scooter, which after riding enough times gets you access to two new locations to explore around town. You can also take party members on scooter trips during the day to unlock new skills or to re-learn old ones.

Party members also get costumes to wear in dungeons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As a tip, you don't need to bother buying new weapons unless they have an added effect that you want. Weapons only apply to your regular attack and so even physical characters like Chie won't need them and can just rely on their Persona skills.

I'd recommend fusing an Ice-resistant or better Persona before taking on the boss. If you can get one with healing abilities, it'd be nice since Yukiko might have to Guard up at times to prevent getting One More!d.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iceclaw posted:

Well, the game does hint pretty strongly Kanji is attracted to her in the storyline, and confirms it if you happen to meet them in a dungeon you already checked. Mainly because Kanji look sad when she mentions she's dating you.

It's a one-sided crush if anything though. Naoto is so oblivious of Kanji's feelings it would almost be the friend zone except they barely have a conversation long enough for me to consider them good friends.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

This is also true, yes.

It depresses me how surprised she is to have the MC be interested in her :smith:

I still think her Valentine's scene is the best because of it. Chie's really one of the best party members in the game, save for a few really bad moments (like putting Teddie's (expensive) clothes on Yosuke's tab without permission and not even being apologetic).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I literally don't have the courage to watch. I can barely endure breaking Yumis heart at the end of her S Link every time. From the horror stories I've been told, this video would make me cringe my way into a singularity. :negative:

The only solace you can take from this is that you actually deserve what Nanako does to you. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Magil of Shadow posted:

EDIT: I'm kind of wondering how Arena 2's plot is going to fit into things, regarding Golden's True Ending/Epilogue, and how it accounts for Arena, but nothing past that in terms of events.

Arena takes place over like, two days. That's five days left in Golden Week for Ultimax.

I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Adachi, since the Golden ending establishes he's still in jail.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: the true ending skills really change who the best characters are. Except Yukiko, she's always better than Teddie.

It's baffling how much worse they made Teddie (and to a lesser extent Chie) in comparison to the rest of the group in P4G. Even in original Teddie really had to rely on him having buffs to earn a spot over Yukiko. Now Yosuke and Kanji can do just as well, and Chie can do even better late-game with a Chakra Ring. Yukiko is a much better damage dealer and more efficient healer, Yosuke is a better all-rounder. Teddie's three biggest additions in Golden were Evade Physical, Gigantic Fist and Kamui Miracle. And Gigantic Fist is near useless for him because it just pales in power even compared to Yosuke's Brave Blade, and one should never rely on Miracle in an actual fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Yosuke is just an incredible glue character and fits into any party easily. His only real con is that he shares a weakness with Teddie but that actually just makes Teddie look worse.

He even has the best stats in the game of all the party members, if you take them to movie dates and the like.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UberJumper posted:

I got the Fool 10, and Judgement 1. Nanoko is alive, and teddie is missing? Am i on true ending path? Oddly enough when we were looking for teddie Yumi sent me a text message. Why her?

You did it right.

Yumi sent you a message because you maxed out her link. If you'd maxed out any other social links from school, like the Sports Club or Ai, you'd also get a message from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UberJumper posted:

I got it to 5, but every time at night after 5 he always said he was too busy to do something. So i guess i missed it?

Thanks goons, i almost got marie at SLink 10.

You just missed it. It needed to be at 6. You had to have done it before the last dungeon. Not a huge deal, you can get it done next playthrough.

• Locked thread