Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, the time limit is there but it's really loose. If, like you said, you enjoy grinding extra levels, you can (minor spoiler I guess about optional bosses) go back through every dungeon again a second time to kill an optional boss at the end. And there's plenty of time to do that.

In my opinion, the time limits have more to do with synchronizing what's happening in the real world with what's happening in the TV world. I don't think they could just give you forever to do things because of the way the story is structured. In other words, if a certain character isn't going to join your crew until after you save them in the dungeons, they have to put a cap on when that dungeon needs to be completed by. That way the designers know "After date <x>, this guy has officially joined the crew, we can include him in cutscenes and events." And there's other storyline events to advance the plot that have to happen by certain days, so they have to tie things to the advance of the year.

As for actual "how long can I be in the dungeon" time, you can be in there as long as you want in realtime. The only limit is that you're going to run out of SP if you're using skills and will need to get it back via items or some other available methods -- otherwise, you'll have to leave the dungeon and let a day pass to get it all back unless you're overleveled enough to kill things with physical attacks alone.

This is really tempting me to get a Vita. I wasn't planning on getting one, but this release paired with Black Friday deals is really giving me that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also since I'm sure "I want this game but I don't want a Vita" is gonna pop up in this thread a lot here are some Vita Facts:
  • You can get a Vita bundled with Assassin's creed+memory card for $200 in a lot of places now. Previously it was $250+Games+Memory card. Keep an eye on deals in your region these holidays.

• If you have Playstation Plus you get Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout and some other stuff for free. If you have PS+ on the PS3 you automatically get all this if you bought a Vita, if you don't it's $50 a year. It's $120 worth of games, it'll keep you busy for a while.

• It's better at playing PSP games than the PSP was, the screen is bigger but keeps the aspect ratio and it looks great. You can get PSP versions of Persona 1, 2, and 3 (I think it's currently only $10) on the PSN and play them on a Vita. A lot of people completely skipped the PSP and there's some good stuff that is now pretty cheap on there.

• As of the latest firmware it's great for playing PS1 games too, I bought FF9 on the PS3 and never got around to playing it so I transferred it to the Vita and beat it there.

• On top of the PSP/PS1 library it's actually seen a lot of releases this past couple of months, there's a nice library of games on there although there are a lot of ports of console games.

• NOBODY ELSE HAS PERSONA 4

Worth mentioning that today for Black Friday, Amazon's got that white (Wi-Fi only) Assassin's Creed Vita bundle package up for a pretty insane $179.99. At that price, I couldn't resist -- might as well be free. Anyone who is thinking about jumping in, today looks like the day.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Haha having a high rank Rise totally breaks everything. I just blitzed though the november dungeon and beat the last boss on my first try. I'm not even 60 yet and it's only November 10th.

Maxed out Rise is the best drat thing. She's saved my rear end so many times. Everytime I screw up, Rise is just like "Nah." *BLOCKS ALL ATTACKS*

I probably played a lot more sloppy in P4G than vanilla P4 because of the Rise changes. There were a few "The MC may die if I don't heal him back up to full this round but...what the hell, Rise will save me if necessary" moments. Even if it makes it maybe a little too easy, I enjoyed having her be more of an active member of the team from a story perspective.

JetGrind posted:

I got roped into being in a relationship with Rise because I didn't want to feel like an rear end in a top hat for just standing there, but I was already in one with Chie. I sure can't wait until Valentine's Day! :suicide:

Honestly, I didn't find it THAT bad. (sort of spoilers re February event, I guess): Most of the girls are just like "So...I'm your girlfriend but you're not hanging with me on Valentine's and you can't tell me what you're doing?" And there's generally a "It's cool, we'll hang out later, I'm just a mysterious dude, maybe it's some Velvet Room poo poo, WELL SEE YA" option that's not too painful. If anything it's worth it just to see Yosuke freak out when everyone is after you.

The PerSWAGna route isn't always easy, but it's one we must walk :patriot:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 23, 2012

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Nothing really story wise. But if you play Persona 4 Arena, you may not get what's going on in the story mode since there are many call backs to Persona 3. But that's the fighting game. Also, it might be a little difficult going back to play Persona 3 if you wanna get into the series after you beat Persona 4.

Oh man, is P4 Arena enjoyable if you've played both games. I just got it this week after finishing my P4G run and it's just killing me. I can't even rationally explain why; I'm not all that into this style of fighting game, and the story is really mostly an inconsequential little pile of blatant fanservice - and then I'm playing story mode as a P4 character and suddenly a P3 character shows up and "Burn My Dread" kicks in and :hellyeah:

Honestly, I think half the reaction I have to these games is from having the soundtracks burned into my brain forever. They're really evocative, even years later. Just like "Burn My Dread," I'm sure you could give me a little "I FACE out, I HOLD out, I reach out to the blah blah blah da doo doo dah" five years from now and I'd hear someone calling for an all out attack in my head.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Speedball posted:

I'm glad there's two battle themes now. I just wish there were even more!

Modern SMT games basically got their kickstart with SMT: Nocturne, and Nocturne had, what, five or SIX battle themes in addition to boss themes? Man, that was great.

P3 had a couple different battle themes, I think -- Burn My Dread (well the rap version) was actually only a boss battle and the first cutscene in the background if I remember right. The real main battle theme was whatever that one was that started with BABYBABYBABYBABY. But I think there was at least one other theme that was used in regular battles, the deep breath one. And it had Battle For Everyone's Souls which is maybe the best boss battle theme ever. Some of the walking around music was annoying, but what a killer fighting soundtrack P3 had.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 28, 2012

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true at all, this isn't Persona 3.

They hit more often then not, and if the enemy is weak to them they're guaranteed to hit.

On top of which, with Rise doing Full Analysis for you a lot of the time you actually know when something is weak to Light or Dark. That's maybe the biggest change for me on Hama and Mudo -- in vanilla P4 I'd never bother to burn the SP to figure out if something was weak to either when you do no damage on a miss. But knowing right off the bat that something is weak in that regard just hands you instakills on a lot of dungeon trash.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
No matter what I name my character, he's still Charlie in my head.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Captain Oblivious posted:

That isn't a make or break point however, which was the topic. You'll lose some points if you don't do that, but it's not one of the MANY AND FEARSOME LINK REVERSE PITFALLS that are so hyped up wrt Moon.

Yeah, it's really just the early offer to date her that screws everyone over on Ai the first time through. And I guess while you could figure out that being (spoiler just in case I guess) Mister Rebound is probably not the best tactic, some of the romantic S-Links progress so quickly or awkwardly that it's not immediately apparent that you screwed it up until much later. Although even friend-zoned Ai has some pretty nice dialog later.

I found Naoto to be trickier than Ai, since she has a really early break point that isn't obvious at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'd start on P4G and go back to P3P. There's no need to play them in order -- there's a few callbacks to P3 in P4 but they are minor and it's not a continuing story or anything like that. P4 has a better chance of sucking you in and getting you used to the mechanics, and then if you are itching for more Persona you can pick up P3. P3 is a good game too (and P3P's mechanics are closer to P4) but it's a little more primitive in some ways, and you may be more prepared to accept that if you've already bought into the setting.

I think the callbacks from P3 work just as well if you play them in reverse order. It was pretty funny seeing (minor P3P spoiler I guess) Kashiwagi on the beach during Operation Babe Hunt.

And then go play (or watch a Let's Play of) Persona 4 Arena to see the convergence of the two stories.

I never made it through 1 or 2, although I have them on my Vita and plan to get around to them eventually. But they are very different from 3 and 4.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 18, 2013

• Locked thread