Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This game has the most likeable cast of any RPG I have ever played.

Even after I finish her S.Link, I talk with Nanako after getting home each night and have her tell me how her day was :unsmith:

Then November comes :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does the River Guardian ONLY show on rainy days? Because if so I may have screwed myself by waiting so long on the Hermit SLink.

It's January :ughh:

Snowy days are treated the same as rainy days for the purposes of fishing, I think. The guardian shows up either way though, but on non-rainy (and possibly snowy) days it can easily take 15-20 attempts before getting the guardian to take the bait. If you don't get the powerful ripples signifying the guardian biting, just pull the bait back immediately and try again (this doesn't use any attempts).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does he still make a sort of pounding noise when he's beading in on the bait? I think the old trick was to recast until you heard that noise.

When he's taking the bait, the ripples will be more powerful and cause a splashing spraying effect. It's really noticeable compared to normal ripples. I'm pretty sure this is new to P4G though, as I can't remember it being like that in the PS2 version (but it's been a while since I played that, so I might be wrong).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yep, just need the first rank and then talk to the old man at the shrine afterwards to enable it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My Kanji went from 25 to 58 just rushing through the Secret Base thanks to golden hands. It's way easier to get overleveled on NG+ since fewer golden hands manage to escape before you finish them off.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, you definitely want to stick with Almighty damage for Gold Hand hunting once it becomes available.

I actually ended up dying in Naoto's dungeon one time in my first run when two of them had counter skills trigger and reflect a Power Charged multi-hit physical attack back at Yu. :shepicide:

This is why I was happy I'd maxed out Rise's S.Link early in my first NG+; I kept killing myself with countered God's Hand. Rise's MC revival skill was the only thing keeping me from multiple game overs :downs:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Really Pants posted:

It's my fault, I shouldn't have mentioned Saints Row.

Speaking of which, Chie just came out of loving nowhere and ran over a Shadow on her scooter. How did I unlock that, and how do I get it for the rest of the team?

Sometimes when you knock down an enemy, one of your team members who are not in the party will get a follow up attack instead of a party member. It's random from what I can tell.

Their scooter attack's effect is identical to their regular follow up attack, i.e Chie's is a Galactic Punt attack, Yosuke's is just a regular knockdown, Kanji's is an AoE knockdown etc

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Naoto does a motherfucking drive-by shooting

Teddie's is terrible; he tends to attack enemies that are knocked down already. Incidentally he also has the funniest comments when you turn him down, so there's no reason not to.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It is registered automatically. One caveat though; you have to actually add it to your roster. If your persona list is full, you will need to sacrifice one of your other personas for the one you got in shuffle time. Just ditching the new persona from shuffle time directly won't add it to the compendium.

Of course, once it's added to your roster you can ditch it either from the persona menu or on the next shuffle time; it'll still remain in your compendium.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 19, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

You mean Japanese voices/English subs? No, it's only English voices. That said the English voices in this are actually a lot better than the JP voices, give it a chance.

I vastly prefer Yukiko's Japanese voice actor to the English one, and somewhat Japanese Dojima to the English one. The rest were pretty much equal or better than the Japanese ones to my ear, once I got used to them just being different. I was actually really impressed by how good the dub was.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 22, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Oh my god

I thought only Naoto can wear that weird outfit though?

They added a lot of in-dungeon dialog, I'm never gonna see it all

I'm not sure if it's based on being in a relationship, but in my game when I gave Yukiko the santa outfit she said she could wear it if we were spending Christmas Eve together (sadly, when the day came she didn't).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm don't think this is a spoiler, bit just in case: Is Naoto's voice supposed to be androgynous? Because it isn't at all.

Well, in the original Japanese dub it was a lot closer to being androgynous, or a mysterious young pretty-boy voice. In the English dub it is sadly very clearly a woman, but at least her voice actor is really good otherwise.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You need to come back to the fox one more time. You also need maxed Understanding Expression when you do.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 3, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, a double strength heavy attack (Vile Assault on a downed enemy) will deal more than a normal strength severe hit, right?

That depends on the severe attack. The actual attack power for each "rank" of damage varies wildly, so a double strength strong heavy attack would deal more damage than a single weak severe attack, but a 2x damage weaker heavy might lose out to the best severe attacks.

Vile Assault is 700 power (plus your Persona's Strength I assume) with 2x on downed, which means it'll beat Brave Blade (1400) and possibly God's Hand (1600) (depending on strength and how damage is calculated), but probably not Primal Force or Pralaya (both 2200).

I'm not sure how the exact damage calculation works, so I might be wrong.

All the skills with their power and attributes are listed here: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 5, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
One thing that I'm bummed about with P4G is that they didn't make the original good/true end credits movie (now used for the non-true good end) available in the Daily Personimations like they did the new true end one. It's different from the new one, and I vastly prefer the original Never More track to the remix used in the new one. It seems like an odd thing to leave out seeing as they even added the original intro movie.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Am I imagining it or have they changed a lot of the script in P4G? There's a lot more conversation choices than I remember since I last played P4. I know Chie's and Teddie's voice actors changed so is it to do with that or did they just take the opportunity to tighten everything up?

I don't know if they added much in the way of conversation choices, if you disregard what was added with the new content. Some of the script has been reworded slightly and sound better now. One thing I found odd though was that they removed a line from the culture festival event with Kou, where he comments on having to play in Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet. Specifically, they changed "Dude! They all die!" to just "Dude!". Kind of removed the whole point of his reaction. Maybe they're worried about spoiling Shakespeare for someone :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
In Japan, high schoolers are the only ones with enough free time to save the world.

I thought Catherine was a fun game with an adult protagonist, but the difference between school life and working life is so huge that what you can do with the games turn out completely differently. I don't think "kawaii high school girls!!" is the only reason the high school setting is used so much (though it certainly helps).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 13, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
On my first NG+ I got two fusion accidents in a row on the first fusion of the game. The next attempt was successful, then I had another accident. That drained a good chunk of the money I had carried over :v:

I managed to finish the rest of the compendium, ~60%, with only one more accident. I wonder if you can have a fusion accident on Izanagi-no-Okami...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I play with party members on auto pilot except on boss fights or when I want to force a shuffle time to appear (which always happens if the killing blow is an all-out attack, except on boss/special fights). It's not as efficient, but the fights flow better and it makes it feel like your party members have a mind of their own.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I feel like such a complete nerd for saying that that actually looks pretty cool.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I just finished Bioshock Infinite the other day, and for the whole time I couldn't place the voice of the player character Booker DeWitt, but it was always so familiar. Wasn't until the credits rolled around and I saw it was Troy Baker, aka Kanji Tatsumi, that it really hit me and it felt like the most "duuh" moment in forever. That Elizabeth was Laura Bailey (Rise) never struck me at all though; I guess I am used to her "Rise" voice which sounds the same in both Persona 4 and Catherine (where Troy Baker also voices the player character, and most of the main P4G cast has roles).

*Edit*

Oops, she was Lady Comstock, not Elizabeth. Welp, that explains why she didn't sound like her at all.

Afterwards I went through both of their IMDB entries and had a lot of "no way, that was HIM/HER?" moments, but then again I wasn't really aware of them as voice actors until I played Persona 4 Golden and got attached to the crew.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 9, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Terper posted:

It gets really annoying really quickly. Recognising voice actors, I mean. It gets easier and easier and really pulls you out of the game.

Yeah, up until recently I've only had that problem with Jennifer Hale (who also starred in Bioshock Infinite) after the Mass Effect series. She's a great voice actor, but she gets roles in tons of games and eventually I can't judge the characters she's voices purely on their own merits due to all the previous experiences with roles she has played.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure she's not, actually. I think Laura Bailey voiced somebody else.

Oh yeah, I misread that. Well, that would explain why I thought she sounded nothing like her! She voiced Lady Comstock who has really few lines in the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Strange Quark posted:

Elizabeth and Mitsuru are voiced by the same person by the way (Tara Platt).

I played P3 FES with Japanese dubs so I wouldn't have caught that. I did play some of P3P, but not enough to really recognise her voice in a way other than "this sounds nothing like the Japanese voice".

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

projecthalaxy posted:

Also kinda a dumb question but does anyone know if Shuffle Time is affected by difficulty at all? I mean I played my first play through on Normal and it seems I got a Persona level up or Skill Upgrade card at least once a trip into the TV. Now I'm 25 hrs into a NG+ on Very Easy (just doing a different story, didn't want to have to grind a lot) and I haven't seen one skill upgrade card yet. Maybe it's because my Personae outlevel me?

They're semi-rare cards so there will be streaks of not getting any. Also it's possible you have less Shuffle Times in general since enemies are easier to kill in NG+ unless you are intentionally holding back.

If you want to force a Shuffle Time, make sure you kill the last enemy with an all-out attack as this guarantees that you'll get it. If you want to make this easier, buy lots of elemental attack items from the general store to allow you to exploit all the various elemental weaknesses without having to swap personas, or without killing enemies early due to the attack magic being too powerful.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 18, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

BreakAtmo posted:

Guys, I need your help - is there any way at all of changing the order in which my characters take their turns in a round? A certain late-game boss keeps killing me pretty much entirely due to this one issue.

The order is decided by the agility stat of each member. The exception is the first turn, which will always allow the protagonist to move first. Not sure if this changes if the enemy gets an advantage attack on you, since my MC is usually always the one with the highest agility anyway.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 24, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh wait, it's the protagonist first in the first round if you have an advantage attack, otherwise it's purely agility based, isn't it? I haven't played a non-NG+ game with low-level personas in ages so I can't remember. I also usually avoid advantage attacks since I vastly prefer Time to Make History over the old P4 theme :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 24, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

-I still have no loving clue how to do Fusing properly. All my personas suck.

I pretty much ignored fusing in the PS2 version because it was such a hassle to get the personas to inherit the skill combinations I wanted. P4G made fusing vastly more convenient and intuitive, to the point where I even bothered to complete the compendium.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
What bothered me the most about fusing in P3/P4/P4G was having to leave the Velvet Room multiple times to ditch personas and make room for new ones while going on a fusion binge, as well as having to go through a huge list of registered personas to find the ones you needed for the fusion.

If they simplify that to being able to fuse with whatever you have registered and just paying what it would cost to summon them manually, I'll have no complaints.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lex Averial posted:

SMT 4 does this. Hopefully they'll carry that over to the next Persona.

YggiDee posted:

The best part is that if you're fusing from the compendium, you only need enough room for the resulting demon, and not any of the fusion ingredients. You don't need to clear out six slots just to fuse Trumpeter, so long as you have a single slot remaining.

Thank god, that means there's hope yet for Persona 5 having it. When they added the search feature to P4G which allowed you to see which unregistered personas you could fuse, I found it odd that they didn't make it work straight from the compendium instead of sticking with only the personas you were carrying at the time. P4G had so many quality of life improvements to the fusion process over regular P4, but the whole shuffling around of personas and excessive menu navigation was still annoying (not to mention a drain on your money if you liked running with a wide selection of personas that you had to ditch and resummon between fusion sessions).

So... now we just need a release date for Persona 5. Rather, any info at all would be nice. Especially something that could reassure me that Persona 5 won't be negatively affected by Atlus' parent company being in serious trouble.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 31, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

What about the cards that you gave to Marie? It'll suck if those don't carry over.

Those carry over too.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I will never drop Chie from my parties since she gets way more Galactic Punts in party than out of party. I will also never have Teddie in my party because I can't get enough of "Sensei, you meanie!" (hey, it's not my fault your "bike" special sucks compared to Galactic Punt).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Personally I tend to have the MC act as the knock-downer by using the elemental items you can buy from the store in town. It's more practical than swapping personas, and while it gets monotonous after a while it's excellent for provoking shuffle time as you are guaranteed to get it if the last enemy dies from an all-out attack. I definitely pick my teams based on flavor rather than what is most efficient though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Naoto has the coolest critical animation though. That counts for a lot!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The only difference between Hard and Very Hard is the rate at which you gain experience and money, as well as he fact that you can't retry if you die in dungeons and thus have to restart from a save point (so you might want to save often...). Combat difficulty is identical for both. So all you gain from going from hard to very hard is a big time sink as well as a lot of lost time if you die and didn't remember to save at the start of the floor. From normal to hard the difference is just that you take more damage and deal less damage, which will make fights drag out longer (or end more abruptly).

So long as you avoid exploiting golden hands and excessive grinding, I think normal will be challenging enough for a first playthrough. I only know one person who plays P4G and he started it on hard, which he regretted since it made some of the dungeons take far too long to finish. But then again people have different tastes with regards to how much combat to go through to advance the story.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Part of the problem is the inverse difficulty curve of P4G. It can be really hard starting out until you get some levels and decent personas going and can customize them with cards and stuff, then it becomes pretty easy. Unless you neglect fusing new personas or boosing the old ones with skill and stat cards, and remain underleveled. Normal can be hard if you don't use the options you have available to you properly.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 3, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Sega is the last company I want to see get their hands on Atlus, maybe short of Activision Blizzard if they had any interest in it (which I doubt).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If this works for Norway and gets an Android port, I'm going to be all over it, and I don't even use weather apps or widgets on my phone at all.

Hell, I'd probably pay money for it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

oblomov posted:

Although if they have Dojima, then Day 1!

Or if it it's region locked and you live in the EU, Day ~270.

Yes, I am bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Cake Attack posted:

Go to Junes when you're given the chance to talk to your social links, even if the game says there's no reason to.

The original PS2 release was worse regarding that since you had to check the elevators twice to actually get the option to go there anyway (IIRC), which meant that unless you knew it beforehand you might never realise it.

I didn't even know the original had a True End until I read it somewhere by coincidence long after I first finished it.

• Locked thread