Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
When I signed up originally, they listed a requirement that you have a total net worth of $70k I believe before being eligible to loan. They don't have a system to verify that you have this kind of money and I don't know the implications of signing up if you don't "qualify" but it was somewhere in the TOS agreement. Also you are not "allowed" to have more than 10% of your net worth in loans.

I started with $1k in loans a little over a year ago. I've been adding slowly here and there and now I'm up to $3k in deposits. I have earned a total of $209.43 in interest, paid $9.75 in fees to Lending Club and had one load default with $19.01 remaining balance. I calculate a 13.22% return despite the defaulted loan, a rate I am happy with. I'm getting about $30 per month in interest at this point (not accounting for what I'll owe the IRS since this counts as normal taxable income).

I only add money which I can afford to lose so I am not devastated if a loan goes bad. Most loans which will go bad do so within the first 12-18 months so I feel pretty good about the first batch of loans I made a year and a half ago. I've lately increased my monthly contributions and add loans as I find them that meet my criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SubjectVerbObject posted:

This sounds interesting. I have a few questions about borrowers.

Does LC somehow make sure that the money that they lend is going to what the borrow says it is going for? If someone is buying a car for example, do they cut a check to the dealer? Do they make any attempt to secure assets being purchased with loaned money?

Are you able to get updated information on borrowers that you are funding? If they say they are borrowing money to pay off a credit card, you should see the credit card balance go down. Similarly, can you see if someone runs up a bunch more debt?

I've just seen way too many people get home equity loans to pay off credit cards and then go on shopping sprees since their card balance was 0.
You can see their total revolving debt before you decide to loan them money but after that all you see is their credit score which is updated relatively frequently (I believe monthly). When looking at a potential loan for credit card refinancing, I usually do not loan to someone who is requesting more money than their current revolving debt. Obviously they are not telling the whole truth regarding the use of the proposed loan.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It's just compound interest basically, right? If a bank took the interest that you savings account generated and put it in a non-interest generating account and you never moved it to the savings account then you would have a lower rate of return. Due to how a savings account is structured they don't do that, but the math (assuming no delinquent notes) works out the same, right?
I don't think it's exactly like this because the way the notes work out is that the first month contains the largest percentage of the interest. Basically they assign an interest rate, figure out how much total money that person is going to owe over the 3 or 5 years (however long the duration of the note is) and divide that total number by the number of months. This way you as the lender get back the same total amount every month (same monthly payment) but the percentage that is interest decreases every month while the percentage that is principal increases. Pretty sure this is how all common loans are done (mortgage, car, school, etc).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Contra Duck posted:

So you go to the effort of vetting these things for the possibility of making $5.60 in 3 years time? This sounds somewhat silly :/
Well if you wanted to plunk down a big chunk on a single note you're certainly able to do so.

My sole grade A note had a failed payment after 14 straight months of being on time. Just goes to show that the A/Bs aren't always as rock solid as they seem. (obviously tiny sample size just sayin).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is LC down for anyone else?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It is annoying but just something to get used to. I constantly have between 7-12 loans in funding or under review

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

JulianD posted:

How long does it typically take for a payment to be distributed to your account? The FAQ said it can take up to four business days to process, but it's been a little longer than that since my first payments were due. I have two notes I'm waiting on payment for, but the status says "Current" and "Processing...", which I took to mean the payment has been made and Lending Club is just dragging their feet on distributing the payment.
The status and collections log are pretty much just BS. Often they'll go in and add collections entries a week after the fact to make you feel better. Sometimes it'll say "Processing" then fall into Grace Period and the line for February will disappear completely.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Did mine on TurboTax and the OID part was easy. I fortunately only had one loan go bad but I entered that in as a bad personal or business loan, something like that.

This itself was a pain for the $19 capital loss but the biggest concern is if you are a big investor you can only realize $3,000 in capital losses per year. If you have a lot invested and have a high percentage of loans go bad (but still have a good return due to investing in a lot of D-E-F loans) you could be in the position of owing your marginal tax rate on your gains (good loans) and then not being able to deduct all of your losses resulting in a net loss from the operation.

I'm not a tax expert but that seems to be the biggest draw back from investing too much in the platform. The IRS is yet to provide any guidance for P2P specifically but it seems like the general consensus is what I wrote above. Some people with big investments are pissed when they realize they can't just pay taxes on the sum of (gains-losses).

e: You can carry your losses into future years but if you're a big investor you'll likely rack up losses over $3k every year going forward.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Again I'm no expert but that would mean you need to realize $3k in capital gains first right? I don't think the OID gains from the P2P notes can be considered capital gains.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
OK I'm with you. This seems like a good reason not to get too heavily invested in this type of investment. For small timers like us, it likely doesn't matter but if you're up in the 5 or 6 figures and investing in low grade loans (which is a popular strategy since low grade notes with high borrower income seem to have consistently been the best performing loans), you are almost certainly going to have a lot of defaults. Sure you can carry the excess losses forward but you'd need equally large capital gains to avoid carrying over additional losses every year.

As a long term investor, I do not expect to realize capital gains every year and so I have the incentive to keep defaults below the $3k threshold. I don't want to start carrying over more and more capital losses which I may never get to apply to realized capital gains, I guess until I retire or something. I suppose it's not worth worrying about when my total account is only $4k, just something I hadn't considered originally.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think a lot of the institutional investors just run filters without reading the comments. It seems like monthly income is the most important stat for them despite not being verified. It's pretty common to find $35,000 loans funded to 80% with less than 10 lenders when the income is over $10k/mo.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I agree and basically do the same. I used to read the comments and if they were well written and seemed somewhat intelligent then I'd favor them over AOL speak. I guess I still do if I take the time to actually read the comments but more often than not I trust the filters.

On the other hand, I just had my second default and looking back on the comments they were completely retarded and I definitely shouldn't have invested.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah it's a big complaint among small investors because the institutionals come in and suck up all the "good" loans before small investors can get to them. They run algorithms to continuously check for new loans and invest in them automatically. It was a big enough issue that LendingClub made a rule that no single investor could invest more than something like 80% of a single loan. You still have $35k loans being completely funded by less than 10 investors though.

Of course this assumes that they actually know what the "good" loans are. Still there is a general consensus on a few key filtering criteria which are most important. To be honest, I don't know why the rates are still as high as they are because it seems like lately there is more demand for loans to be funded than people applying for loans.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I only invest in about 1-3 notes per week with the filters I have set up. Don't be discouraged, it takes a while to get a lump sum deposit invested completely. Better to be patient since you'll be owning these notes for 3-5 years. No need to rush, that's when you start buying bad notes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some people call it blending (borrowing + lending) and it's basically just another form of leverage. The toughest part would be investing that big lump sum immediately without compromising on your lending standards/filters. I mentioned before but it takes me a while to invest relatively small amounts, I'd be stuck paying the monthlies on the borrowed loan while I wait for the interest on my lended notes to start trickling in.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

I don't know much about bankruptcy AT ALL. Does that mean that they will pay back some or all of the loan, on some kind of modified plan? Or will it be written off?
I'm not an expert either but I can say that LC adds funds to your account once per quarter as a result of any collections made on defaulted loans. If you look at the loan performance page, there is a line for recoveries. I recently received $1.09 on a loan which defaulted with $19.01 principle remaining.

Have you used nickelsteamroller's portfolio analysis? It's kind of a better way to gauge how you're doing. You upload your "all notes" file from LendingClub and it spits out the following:

code:
Portfolio Name 	Total Investment 	Note Count 	Average Age (Days) 	Average Maturity Date 	Interest 	Estimated Loss 	Fees 	Weighted Return 	Term 36/60 	ROI
All Loans 	$5,325.00 		213 		290.94 			01/30/2016 		$475.06 	$75.47 		19.36 	15.88% 			165 / 48 	12.02%
It also breaks it down by year which I find very interesting:
code:
Portfolio Name 	Total Investment 	Note Count 	Average Age (Days) 	Average Maturity Date 	Interest 	Estimated Loss 	Fees 	Weighted Return 	Term 36/60 	ROI
2011 	        $1,100.00 	        44 	        663.66 	                08/11/2014 	        $176.93 	$19.01 	        $9.07   13.37% 	                44 / 0 	        11.08%
2012 	        $2,875.00 	        115 	        250.03 	                03/17/2016 	        $265.78 	$56.46 	        $9.11 	16.72% 	                88 / 27 	12.34%
2013 	        $1,350.00 	        54 	         74.37 	                12/31/2016 	        $32.34 	         $0.00 	        $1.19 	16.13% 	                33 / 21 	15.78%
It makes it easy to see how your ROI degrades over time as your notes get older (and presumably experience more defaults). Average age is really important when comparing different peoples ROI. You can see I can proudly say I'm making 15.78% on my notes from 2013 but I would definitely expect this value to drop over the next year+ into the 10-12% range. Still quite satisfactory for me but important to note nonetheless.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah it really takes forever for things to happen with LC. The worst part is waiting for the loans to issue. They'll be fully funded and sometimes sit there a week before they are issued. It's worst right when you start since you only have a few loans anyway. I set up weekly $25 contributions so I always have some loans waiting to be issued, I never really look at the "in funding" notes anymore.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I feel pretty much the same. Lendingclub is about 2.5% of my portfolio and I only invest what I am comfortable losing. The best case scenario would be for it to continue on forever or at least until I reach retirement when I would stop adding new funds and then stop reinvesting the returns and begin withdrawing as the payments slowly peter out. Currently I can have ~2 loans go bad per month and still be making a profit so as long as I am in the green every month, I am happy. I do not plan on dumping my notes at loss on folio.fn so if things go tits up real quick and more than 2 notes default every month I'll be taking losses. As Alereon said, in this scenario, I would more than likely be losing money on other investments too so I wouldn't feel as bad about it. I can't honestly say what would stop me from investing more in P2P before retirement. I suppose if I'm consistently losing money and others in the P2P lending community are also losing money I might stop buying new notes. That or if I can no longer find enough notes that meet my lending criteria (if institutional investors soak up all the "good" loans).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I thought it was 70k in total net worth not yearly income. Wither way I've never heard of anything coming of it. I assume it's so people can't blame LC if they go broke investing in notes, sort of a CYA thing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm just going to stick with my lending standards. If there aren't any loans available that meet them then I won't buy any notes, it's that simple.

It seems like the interest rate being offered for the notes turning up in my filters has been slowly getting lower over the last year or so. I guess this shouldn't be that unexpected since more and more lenders have been hopping on the bandwagon. Gravy train is slowing down apparently.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Turns out the lack of notes on Friday was just a technical error at LC. But yeah still tilting toward borrowers right now either way.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It used to be that notes would take a few days to a week to get funded but now with so many new investors the "good" notes get funded within minutes of being posted. I used to wait for responses but now if you see a note that looks good to you and meets your filter criteria (you do filter perspective notes right?) you have to jump on it immediately.

Over the last year especially there has been a huge increase in lenders and seemingly a not as huge increase in borrowers. To me it seems like this has resulted in generally lower yields on all notes. I'm now mostly buying B rated notes when I used to only get C or D notes. I keep investing though because I think there are still decent returns to be had, just not as good as it was when I started out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My unscientific guess based on experience is that about one third to one half of the notes I order don't end up going through. I would guess that the rejection rate gets higher with higher rate loans since these borrowers are even less likely to meet LC's underwriting criteria.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Prosper went through a big wave of defaults in I think 2009 and scared a lot of the early inverters off. My understanding is that this a major reason why Prosper is so much smaller than LC now. LC and Prosper both took note and really buckled down on their underwriting to appease and attract the investors. You're right though, they could likely loosen their requirements and still have enough investors for to buy all of the notes. I think they actually may be slowly doing this due to the huge appetite for more loans. As a lender, I do appreciate that they do some background checking but to be completely honest, I haven't followed all of their changes in underwriting in great detail over the last 2.5 years. I'm guessing that management feels that it is still in their best interest to keep investors happy in the long run over filling more loans (and collecting their 1%) for the 1-2 years they'd get before the loose lending practices came back to bite them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

I have 878 notes, of which 47 paid off early. I just started doing this 2 years ago, though, so I haven't had ANY go the full term yet.
drat, I've got 298 total and 50 are fully paid.

e: started two and a half years ago

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
$25 for all loans.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's my update from Nickel Steamroller's analysis. I've had a bunch of notes go late in the last few months, not sure why. They're mostly 60 month notes though which I stopped buying early this year so hopefully it's just a temporary phenomenon. Still happy with the ROI.
code:
Year	Invested	Notes	Avg Age	Avg Mat Date	Interest	Estimated Loss	Fees	Wtd Return	Term 36/60	ROI

2011	$1,100.00 	44	852.66	8/11/2014	$192.86 	$19.01	 	$11.39 	13.37%		44 / 0		11.11%
2012	$2,875.00 	115	439.03	3/17/2016	$426.88 	$138.08 	$16.09 	16.72%		88 / 27		10.25%
2013	$3,550.00 	142	160.89	10/19/2016	$181.30 	$26.18 		$6.86 	14.08%		121 / 21	12.19%

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hey this is neat, Lending Club recently added a graphic representation of your portfolio relative to everyone else. Here's mine:

Feeling a little better about my note selection now.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

That IS cool, where is it?
Right under your NAR%, there's a link "Understanding Your Returns", hopefully they'll enable more filtering options in the future so you can really size yourself against everyone else.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm the same as baquerd.

Last year they issued what seemed like legit 1099s and I expect them to do that again this year. The year before they were all messed up and the year before that they didn't issue anything.

e: now that I think about it, I seem to recall the consensus was that LendingClub hadn't reported the losses correctly on the 1099s so I entered them all in individually as loans that had gone bad (essentially deducting them from my highest income bracket, since it was less than the $3k limit). There's always a ton of discussion at Lend Academy during tax time about the best way to file and it seems to change every year. I always spend a few hours reading the arguments between the accountants and go from there.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 9, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If you're really afraid of it, you can always just not claim any losses and eat the few $~20 defaults you may or may not get in the first year. I did this my first year in LC when I had only one default with $19 of outstanding principle. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I did a bunch of analysis on all of the notes available at the time several years ago and set up filters with nickelsteamroller.com to alert me when notes meeting my filter become available. At the time I remember finding that there wasn't much correlation between number of lines of credit and default rate when the total lines were less than 17. I also found that, on average, larger loans were less likely to default than small loans all else being the same. I haven't revisited those filters for a long time, mainly because I've been happy with my returns since then, also :effort:

Another interesting discovery was that low income has a relatively higher correlation with default so high income (>$70k/yr) is a big part of my filter.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It took me forever to invest my first $1000. Now I can only find at most a few loans a week that meet my criteria.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
New loans are added 4 times per day, I believe it is 6am, 10am, 2pm, and 6pm Pacific.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

To date, I have put in $16,950. I have received payments for over half of that amount, and still have outstanding principal of $18,590.

Overall, I'm still VERY enthusiastic about this. My portfolio is generating just over $750/month, so I'm able to grow it by 30 notes a month, even if I don't add any more funds to the account.

Is anyone else starting to see the compounding really kicking in? I have 927 open notes, and I've only paid for 678.
That's great but keep in mind a large portion of that $750/mo is returned principle. You're not making >4%/mo (750/18,590) in gains, probably closer to something like $175/mo, still nothing to scoff at. It ends up being a net increase 7 notes/month if you assume all of your other notes have decreased by 1/36 each (assuming 3 year length).

e: I'm sitting here

Total Notes: 320
In Funding: 0
Issued & Current: 244
In Grace Period: 3
Fully Paid: 59
Late 16 - 30 Days: 0
Late 31 - 120 Days: 5
Default: 1
Charged Off: 8

Average age 13.6 months.

I had been relying on NSR's email updates when loans matching my criteria became available but they recently discontinued their emails. I have yet to find time to sit down and set up the automatic note purchasing system through NSR.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 13, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

I recently started using interest radar's auto-invest tool, and I've been pretty happy with it. I have an emotional reaction to seeing available cash in my account, like "MUST BUY NOTES NOW NOW NOW". Knowing that the software will buy the notes as soon as they are available helps me to step back and not make hasty buys that I'll regret later (see my previous post).
Cool, I hadn't heard of that one before. Is it free?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have never used prosper nor tried to sell notes, but you might as well try to sell them now if you're intent on dumping them. There are people in states who can't buy directly from Prosper/LC and rely on the secondary market. They might take them off your hands for face value.

The other option is to just hold onto them and see how they do. How many notes are we talking here?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ever since Nickelsteamroller stopped sending automated emails when notes hit the platform that match my filters, I've been lazy and let my cash pile up. I just discovered that LC now offers Prime autoinvesting for free if your account is over $5,000 so I'm going to give that a whirl. Has anyone else used Prime?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You can choose $25 min notes and apply filters saved in the usual LC browse notes section. It looks like most of the important categories are there, unfortunately you can't fine-tune the filters as much as you could on other sites. I'll give it a try for a month or so and let you all know my impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What's your interest rate?

The demand from lenders seems to be growing much faster than the supply, it isn't uncommon for a "desirable" note to be snapped up by a single or handful of investors. Most likely an institutional investor.

• Locked thread