Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
This is how I play Pullblox:

1. That one looks simple. One more won't hurt.
2. How the hell do I do this
3. Killed it. I'm the master.
4. See step 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Kirby though? What the hell? It looks like they just used an NES emulator. It even has the stupid 4:3 border. The 3-d is almost non-existent, too. However, the odd thing is that it doesn't appear to be emulated, because the sprites are razor-sharp. This is a stark contrast to all the NES Virtual Console games which in my opinion have very ugly upscaling filters on them.

Apparently it's because the NES was already ten years old when the game came out.

Wikipedia posted:

IGN remarked that "by 1993, the programmers of the world had learned how to unleash every last ounce of power hidden inside the original Nintendo system. Kirby's Adventure was one of those late-generation games, and probably the best of them". The game features special visual effects, pseudo-3D backgrounds (including towers that appear to rotate in three dimensions) and parallax scrolling. At 6 Megabit, it was one of the largest games ever released for the NES; even so, it did not use Nintendo's most powerful mapper chip, the MMC5, but rather the older, more common, and less expensive MMC3.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
“What!?!? You say I look fat and my quadruple chin looks like a waterfall of flab? Shut up! That's just because you have your television set up on widescreen display!”
—Wario, Wario World

This is why Gamecube games should be on the eShop.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

shut up you're a virgin :qq:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Why is the UK eShop so expensive Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Rhetorical question that I know is probably posted about twice a page, but I cannot get over it. I'd save a few quid per game just by switching within my region to the Euro-store. I don't want to do it because I am irrationally afraid of loving up and losing my funds and/or games. Jesus.

If you change to another region, your balance for the new region will be zero, but if you changed back to the UK region they would still be there. I've done this. Games aren't affected by region change.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
All I know is Ice Climber on 3DS has multiplayer in Japan. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/ice_climber_now_has_download_play_multiplayer_in_japan

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

Coin prices are going up...

Goddamned Toadstool 1% buying more castles than they need.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Anyone know if the Mario hat pouch would be big enough for a 3DS with Nyko Power Grip attached?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rirse posted:

Let me guess this is for Europe, as I don't see any listing in the North American Club Nintendo about free games for buying a XL.

It's exclusive to the European region, yes.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Where are the Donkey Kong Land games? They are conspicuously absent.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

Nintendo has quality standards to uphold.

They're no worse than Super Mario Land.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I've heard that although Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise, the games have to be continually relicensed to be on the Wii Virtual Console. Since the Wii U eShop is a new platform, it would require a new license, so the license for DKC on the old Wii Shop Channel could have been allowed to expire. The DKC trilogy was pulled on the day of the Wii U launch in NA, and five days before the EU launch, so this makes sense, doesn't it?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
No one is privvy to the reasons, or can say for sure what happened, but we can use inductive reasoning to postulate that Rare, as the developer, is entitled to royalties, and that these involve a license to distribute.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I really like Denpa Men.

New username

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(or at least a port of that version with the NES limitations intact)

Technical limitations at least. Pretty sure political limitations at Nintendo would never have allowed running people over in cars in those days (despite the presence of Chiller, but that was more removed from everyday reality than this).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Typically when do digital downloads for new releases (Read: Monster Hunter :black101:) become available?

Typically, on the same day.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

McDragon posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't see anything in the OP about this. 3DS question: Is it possible to use one of those points cards for the US store from the UK? It's a US 3DS I've got, so I'd hope it would work, but are there any IP address shenanigans I should know about? Thanks for any advice.

A NA points card will work on a NA unit wherever you are, yeah.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Astro7x posted:

drat, maybe I should reconsider getting VC titles until the WiiU VC service starts. I just have a feeling all this stuff is going to be offered again at some point as a Wii U VC title and I won't have to pay the upgrade fee if I just wait it out

The two handheld games won't be. The only handheld games the Wii U VC is getting are GBA games.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Some ex-WayForward devs are running a Kickstarter for a pseudo-retro platformer called Shovel Knight - it's in development for PC, Wii U and 3DS and if you donate $15 you'll get a free download code for the platform of your choice when it's done:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

Shovel you say

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Since the eShop doesn't accept foreign credit cards, I'm looking for ways to get US eShop funding codes online. The ones I have found are:

thecardcloset.com
pcgamesupply.com
maximuscards.com

The Card Closet has the cheapest at $54 for $50 of credit. That's not bad but are there any cheaper methods?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

petewhitley posted:

Set your region to Alberta, Canada and it will accept your credit card. I do this with my Japanese credit card.

This works? :aaa:

I'll try that when I get my American XL.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

petewhitley posted:

Set your region to Alberta, Canada and it will accept your credit card. I do this with my Japanese credit card.

When the eShop asks you for a post code, how do you get around that?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ztrapper posted:

I'm not Japanese, but i just used my own real 5 digit Israeli zip and added a 0 before (as it ask for 6 digits). it worked just fine.

Ha. That worked. Thanks. :)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Platinum rewards are never digital are they? Always physical things that require shipment.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'm talking about NA, they have digital rewards for gold status every month. But I think all the platinum rewards are physical.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

So were we. Doc Louis' Punch-Out!! was a platinum reward, and the 2012 gold reward let you choose from a bunch of VC games in a similar but not identical fashion to the regular digital rewards they offer every month.

I see. I understand now, thanks.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

:) Here's some proof that I'm not crazy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/club-nintendos-2012-platinum-and-gold-prizes-revealed

Lastly, a new option added for this year – games! Club Nintendo started offering game downloads a few months ago, so Platinum and Gold users can opt to ignore all of the physical prizes to instead score a free digital download instead. The games on offer are Super Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from the Wii Virtual Console, Metroid II: Return of Samus from the 3DS Virtual Console and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! from DSiWare (only redeemable on a 3DS, though.) Note that if you go the game download route, you only get to pick one of these listed titles.

My confusion came from thinking you had to get gold status every month to receive games. I didn't realise that you only needed that for the rewards at the end of the Nintendo year. I'm not sure it's still limited to one game a month though? I just redeemed a reward game, I'm viewing a second at the moment and it's not giving any warning that I couldn't obtain it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

LightningKimba posted:

OR is it that I need to have the digital game at first, and I can transfer the cart's save file to the digital version?

This. Like Nintendo would let people use more than one copy of their owned games :roflolmao:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Aw, I just started the update. Now I guess there's nothing I can do.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Update done and I can still access the eShop and Settings.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
And all this is why I just bought a second Wii U so I could pay American prices despite living in Australia. It will pay for itself with the savings from 12 games!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

You could have just used your Aussie Wii U to buy at EU prices and saved almost the same amount without having to own two consoles, but whatever.

That's what I was doing, the difference still isn't negligible. I also wanted the superior Club Nintendo treatment with the free games and everything. Economically, it was worth switching over as soon as possible for the long run.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
DON'T GET SUPER METROID IF YOU HAVE A WII U. On about the 21st of May, it will be offered at a price of 30 cents from the eShop.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I don't know why so many of the G&W games have never been re-released. Like Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. and that game that was just called ZELDA are nowhere to be found.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still bet the VC update is June so they can announce it at E3.

It's already been "announced". Everyone knows what it is and how it works, it's not something that warrants E3 drama.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everyone knew a year old port of Arkham Asylum was coming to Wii U too but they still spent 20 minutes of their E3 keynote talking about it.

There's nothing new to announce regarding the VC. NES, SNES and GBA games, button configuration, gamepad play, that's all there is to it. Unless they're announcing unexpected games that have never been on the service before.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Balcony posted:

The European Club Nintendo is now letting you register things you've downloaded from the eshop. You just have to fill in a short* survey for 50 stars. This includes free downloads such as Nintendo Video (3DS) and the freemium TANK TANK TANK (wii U). So you can download these with no intention of playing them and get free stars. However, in typical Nintendo fashion some games I have actually paid for can't be registered e.g. Zen Pinball 3D can't be registered, whereas Marvel Pinball 3D and Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U) can. Still, I've just got easily another 500 stars closer to that classic SNES controller.

* = tedious

Just got a bunch of stars doing this, thanks.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

digital penetration

Really?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Stink Terios posted:

Say, I linked the eShop to my club Nintendo Account. Will it still be linked if I change to another region (Alberta, Canada for instance) or will I have to change it back to the original to get the coins and whatnot?

Assuming you're in the US, it should still be linked because the US and Canada share the same Club Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Satorr posted:

I posted the following in the General 3DS thread before I noticed this thread existed, which I guess it fits into better...

-----

I just got a 3DS XL and linked it to my Club account in the eShop, then added funds and bought Luigi's Mansion.

It's not showing up as a registered product when I log in to my account online.

Does it take time to show up or did something go wrong?

Just close your eyes relax and it will come