Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there a way to have Nintendo (or someone else, I suppose) e-mail you every time a new game goes on sale, either on the Wii U eShop or 3DS? I do that already with GOG and some other sites, and I check my e-mail every morning as a matter of routine - it would be nice to be able to know regularly what's on offer.

Also, as a response to a post I saw from last month, I bought Chronicles of Mystara on Steam about 2 seconds after Capcom brought it back out and I snapped up the Wii U version when it was on special around Christmas. I'm really sad that nobody is playing apparently any version, because that game is very replayable and incredibly fun with a few people. There was a thread and a bit of goon activity right after the PC version came out and we had a grand time, so if anyone is up for it (Wii U or PC), I am too. I'm great to play with because I know most of the secrets and I usually play :catholic:, so I hand out all of the buffs and heals... if I like you. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
gently caress a duck... I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy for over $40, hard copy, and now it's coming to the Wii U for way less than that. I'm going to see if I can return it.

So, how does Galaxy 2 control? Does one still have to have the WiiMote & Nunchuk?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Regy Rusty posted:

Any game like Galaxy that is built around using the motion controls is going to only use that control scheme on the rerelease.

The only games that will use the game pad are ones that originally supported the classic controller which Galaxy did not.

I figured as much. I like the Galaxy games, but I hate the controls.

Beef Waifu posted:

Punch-Out needs the wiimote, it cannot use controllers.

I bought that game on release day, played the piss out of it, and I recall playing it with the WiiMote sideways and no waggling. Unless my memory is bad, I don't see how that couldn't easily translate.

Now, what really pisses me off is whoever made New Super Mario Wii not compatbile with a classic controller. I had the great fortune to get a Nintendo-name Classic Pro Controller through GameStop for half what they were online, and even though NSMWii only has one waggle, the shake-to-spin-jump, it's not compatible with the classic controller when they could have just mapped the spin to another button. That's my biggest issue with the Wii; obnoxious controls.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MinibarMatchman posted:

Man I expected at least this would be the one game I could use gamepad offscreen support for, but I guess not. loving bullshit.

I checked... you can play Punch-Out with the WiiMote and Nunchuk (with wigglies), or the way I did with just the WiiMote sideways like an NES pad (no wigglies). So, it does indeed appear that classic controls are not supported. I'm not slagging off motion controls in a boxing game, though... when I first got my Wii (2009, I think?) I lost about half a stone playing that silly boxing game that came with the console. Actually having to dodge and weave and punchy is a pretty good workout.

Color Printer posted:

Punch-Out is less a boxing game and more of a twitch reaction puzzle game. It is also great.

This, basically. I have a personal fondness for the SNES Punch-Out because your character was an actual full-grown fit human and there was actual boxing in it, rather than having to dodge/duck/block->counter or die. There were still attacks that could put you down in one hit, not to mention a dude (not sure on the male part) who could knock your teeth out with his long hair and a fat Italian clown who juggled and then threw the balls at you, but you could actually find holes in your opponents' defences and take the offensive. Also, the star system for super punches was dispensed with. I'm pretty sure that that one is on VC; I encourage people to try it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
drat it to hell... I would absolutely buy Runner 2 to play it again on the big screen, but the cheap price is PAL only.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ultigonio posted:

The cheaper price isn't PAL-only, but you have to already own one of the other games listed for the sale.

Ah, there's the rub. Didn't give a cracked iron quid about any other game on that list.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, Guacamelee is easily the best game in that lineup (well, Teslagrad might be, I have yet to actually get far enough through it to know that).

I'm going to have to disagree with you there; I think that Runner 2 is great. The first one was decent, but the second one is better in every way and Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario and Luigi, does the narration. I have it on Steam, but it's such a nice-looking game that I'm thinking about buying Swords and Soldiers, a game I don't really care about, for $3 so that I can save $9 on Runner and play it on my HD telly. I would not be surprised if they put S&S on that sale for $2.99 expressly so that people would buy it to save more money on other games included in the promotion.

I'm not interested in Galaxy 2 or Punch-Out! as I have them on Wii disc, but I hope that Prime Trilogy isn't too expensive. I actually bought a disc copy of that collection for $45 back in early December, and when I found out about this release I returned it to GameStop just before the 15 January holiday return deadline so that I could get my money back and buy it for less later this month. I'm a little scared on the price, though... I hope that it's $29.99 base price at most so that I can get it for $15 during the first week when it's half off. The clerk at GameStop knew exactly what I was up to; didn't give a poo poo. Hooray for manipulating the system!

:toot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ultigonio posted:

I mean, yeah, Runner 2 is better than the original in every way, but it still astounds me how they have all these great options for instrumentation, base their game around music and melodic stingers, and still make such a boring, same-y soundtrack. There are some really neat mechanics at play, but levels don't really differ a whole lot, and new gimmicks are introduced so slowly that they start to get tiring before you ever get to the next one. I suppose I'm just not a fan of endless-runner-type games, though.

All that said, already owning Runner 2 means that I can get Guacamelee STCE for very cheap. So I probably will.

You are right here, I must confess. I'm not the type of gamer who really gets into sound, but for a game that's supposedly about rhythm and beats the music is very lacklustre and same-y, though I didn't notice level similarities as much as you perhaps. I've been playing a lot of old Mega Man games lately, and it's impressive how much they can get out of 8-bit chiptunes, but a modern game built around music kind of falls flat. Odd, that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played 2 yet despite having the Wii disc version, but I somewhat enjoyed 1... enough to get all of the stars with Mario, at least. I started playing a bit with Luigi (a.k.a. the Best Mario Brother) and he basically plays like his shoes are covered with ball bearings made of ice. He's had lower traction and better jumping in other games, but in Galaxy 1 it's ludicrous.

My biggest problem with the Galaxy games is the controls, which is my annoyance with a lot of Wii games in general. Also, I've found that I prefer the other kind of Mario platformer. The first kind are games like Mario 64, Sunshine, and both Galaxy Games where you play missions to get the star/shine. The second kind are essentially every game since Super Mario Bros up to 3d World where it's a matter of "get to the flagpole" with "find some special coins" as a secondary objective. I've found that I prefer the latter, even if I have found every star and bunny in the Mario 64 remake for DS. There's nothing wrong with 64/Sunshine/Galaxy etc, I just personally don't like them as much.

I thought about it, and I think that part of the problem is that the 64-type games are more linear. I know that sounds odd since they are all in 3D, but those games usually break down to entering what is essentially a mission, and following a specific path with specific power-ups to finish that mission. If there is a specific power-up that you need, it will be there on the way; if it's not needed, there won't be. The "flagpole games", however, are a little more flexible. Yes, it's still linear and indeed most of the games in that style are 2D horizontal scrollers (exceptions being Mario 3D Land & World), but it's more open to me. There will be power-ups, but you don't need them to make the objective, they just make it easier. One of my favourite Mario moments to date was finally making it to the final Bowser battle on Super Mario 3 with a Hammer Bros. suit, and then knocking Big B out with 2 or 3 hammers to the bonce. I think that it comes down to the difference between "Here's an objective, and use these steps and tools to get there" versus "Here's your goal, how you get about it is your affair."

In the end, it's all about personal preference - fun is a purely relative concept, after all - but I know which camp I'm in.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Orange Mage posted:

Not only do they disappoint but in the 9 months I've owned a 3DS they on average change up the rewards 2 days later than indicated.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anyway, I forgot how it works, but we should expect Club Nintendo games to change tomorrow noon, right? I hate how I always get excited for them even though I know they'll always disappoint.

No kidding; they are really imprompt about that. I have nearly 1000 coins saved up, but I never want to spend them because they put so much wank up there. I understand them not putting up brand new things, but instead of having a few lacklustre choices every 5 weeks just have most of the shop available with every item having a certain cost. It's about a dollar a coin as it is, even less for major console games, so they aren't going to get hurt in the wallet. In the whole time I've been keeping an eye on that store, the only game I saw that I really wanted was Star Fox 64. I ended up being confused about the expiry date on it and missed out. Still narked off about that.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I picked up Galaxy 2 but was really disappointed to see it requires the wiimote. I'll just say that the wiimote and nunchuk are the worst controllers ever and now I'm dissapointed that Metroid Trilogy will be the same way?

I'm right-handed so I can't sympathise with being a southpaw, but I think that the Metroid Trilogy being partially FPS lends itself better to the WiiMote/Nunchuk combo. Trilogy is an instant buy for me; I had purchased a copy of Trilogy, on Wii disc, from GameStop in December and as soon as I heard about the Wii U release for a fraction of the cost I returned right before the holiday deadline. I just hope they don't get too greedy price-wise.

I need to give Mario Sunshine another play sometime. I own it, but I've only played a bit of it. The FLUDD thing really is a novel way to change up the formula a bit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Did they say anything more about when they are going to release the "dozens and dozens" of VC games, or is it just "sometime in February?" I'm actually really annoyed about this, but for the first time the monthly game cycle has some titles that I want, like Super Metroid. Those games are obviously there until the end of the first half of the calender year, so I can certainly afford to wait patiently for the big wave. I just wondered if there were any specific details apart from February = lots o' games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Son of Isaac posted:

"All Coins will be deleted when Club Nintendo accounts are closed on July 1, 2015. As a result, to give our members the best opportunity to use their Coins, we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February."

That's it.

Fair enough; thought I missed something, but apparently not. I'll sit on my coins for a while and see what pops up. I have some surveys and such that I need to fill out, but once I finish my to-do list I will have nearly 1100 coins to spend. Once everything is up next month, I'll know what's on offer and I can go ahead and use them.

I was really chuffed when I got to Platinum status (buying a 3DS and being given a Wii U last year pretty much did it); I hope that I can still get Earthbound.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm still a little confused about how this upgrading works. Forgive me for being thick, but how does the Wii U eShop know that you have the game on the Wii so that you can play $1.50 to play in full Wii U mode? Are all purchases by one player trackable and some way, letting the Wii U know that you have the Wii version and deserve the discount? I was under the impression that Wii and Wii U/3DS were basically in two separate universes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fritzler posted:

From the club.nintendo site:

2015 Elite Status

In order to reach Elite Status, you must earn 300 Coins (for Gold Status) or 600 Coins (for Platinum Status) between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Members who reach Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game from a wide selection of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U titles. Your free Elite Status gift will be available between April 1 and April 30, 2015. A list of the Elite Status 2015 gifts will be posted here once announced.

So it will definitely just be a downloadable title. Some of the games last year were pretty good, I'm hoping they go even bigger for the last club nintendo rewards.

I've easily enough coins for platinum in this final year, so I really hope that they offer Earthbound again like they did last year.

Just curious... has anyone done a Wii to Wii U transfer? I picked up a GameCube on the cheap over Christmas and I've had a Wii U since June '14, so I'm about ready to retire my Wii. It sounds simple, but I"d still like to hear from someone who has done it. Both my Wii and Wii U are go on my wireless network, so I think that I am in good shape.

All I have data-wise on my Wii are some saved games and Mega Man 9 & 10 with their DLC, so I fancy that I wouldn't need much space for data transfer but I could be surprised. For anyone who has done this, how much space did you need? I hate to sound cheap, but I'm really hurting for money right now and I don't want to have to buy an SD card (yes, I know that they are about $6) for just this one thing, so I was planning to pinch the one from my GPS which has about 600 meg of space on it. Would that work/be enough? I'd just like to put my Wii in mothballs, perhaps sell it, and use my GameCube for its own games and my Wii U for everything else.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fremry posted:

After registering my last couple games, I have almost 1000 coins for Club Nintendo. Here's hoping there's a bunch of good stuff next month.

I'm with you. I'm up to 1160 and I hosed up and forgot to do surveys on 40 points more, so I may screw myself out of another game because 1200 points is a major cutoff when you're buying things that cost 150, 200 and 250 coins. Sadly, there's no way that I know of to give and receive coins, buy more coins, or do real money/coin transactions so I may well end up with 4 or 5 new digital games and 160 points wasted.

Even though it's about 98% sure I'll get Super Metroid, among other things, I'm going to sit quietly until the last wave of February awards hit in a few weeks and then start spending.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
PaletteSwappedNinja, wouldn't the sale for Trilogy in NA be until February 5? It says that for PAL, but not NA. Surely it starts in NA on the 29th?

Boy, that is one hell of a deal... all of those games for $9.99. I am so glad that I returned my hard copy that cost 4.5 times as much.

I am also impatiently waiting for the last wave of Nintendo rewards to be posted on the Club Nintendo site, so that I can begin binge shopping for VC titles.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Son of Isaac posted:

Wii U
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: $9.99
  • Mario Kart 8: $44.99
  • Super Mario Kart: $5.99

3DS
  • Mario Golf: World Tour: $22.49
  • Mario Golf (GBC): $2.49
  • Metroid (NES): $3.49

If you haven't played it, Mario Golf: World Tour is a lot of fun. I don't know if there are still live tournaments being held, but it has a lot of content (granted, some is DLC) and is a reasonable golf sim without being too hard core, but it's not too arcade-y either. It's much closer to real golf than Mario Tennis is to tennis, that's for ssure.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

codenameFANGIO posted:

They are in fact still running tournaments and adding new equipment to the game. Everyone play Mario Golf, it rules.

That's good to hear. It's the best Mario Golf game so far, I would way with confidence, and that's a fairly strong statement as I played the hell out of Toadstool Tour on the GameCube; still have it, actually. I unlocked everything on that game, which is also saying something because the treetop Birdie Challenge took me dozens of tries. I still remember the day I finally did it, and the 2-shot challenge on the 3DS is even harder, I hear.

lelandjs posted:

drat, Metroid Prime Trilogy is ~8GB. Guess it's time that I finally get an external hard drive.

I don't know why I expected it to be less, considering that a quick glance over the file size of... less legitimate versions put the .iso at 8-9GB, but I was kinda hoping that Nintendo would be able to work some kind of magic on it.

Blimey, that is big. I was thinking 5 or 6 GB, but I'm still okay. I have about 18 GB left on my Wii U drive since all of my "big games" (Mario platformers, Kart, Smash) are on disc.

I'm not really keen to try that demo, but I wish that they would bring out more of the old Advance Wars games on Virtual Console. Of the 4 that came out in the West, 1 is my least favourite. I'd love to see AW2 and/or Days of Ruin the most, but I'd even be happy with Dual Strike even though that one is about as well-balanced as a three-wheeled shopping trolley.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fremry posted:

Do not expect anything tomorrow. I don't remember a month that they put up the new rewards on the day you would expect. If the games said "offer expires 12/15" they would be there until 12/17-12/19 before they finally updated with the next month's rewards.

elf help book posted:

This is Club Nintendo, so when they say Feburary, expect March.

I wouldn't put this past them, not even a bit. Since the last set of monthly rewards are good until the end of June, I'm just going to sit on my pile o' coins untill all of the possible rewards are out, then go on a spending spree. I actually do think it will hit sometime in February, but I wouldn't really be surprised if it was later. I wouldn't be surprised either if it were later and they don't even say anything about a delay.

I'll keep my eyes open for surveys to do to add to my hoarde, as I still do buy a game on the eShop from time to time, but I'm not going to check in every day. I've no doubt that this thread will let everyone know the second that the last wave of rewards comes out.

We may have to wait until April until they bring out the Gold/Platinum awards too, just to see all that is on offer. I may break down, though... Super Metroid has been on my want list for 8 months, so I may just indulge myself and pay the $1.50 upgrade fee while I wait for the rest to populate.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Site is super slow for me, so I'll wait a bit. I'm actually really surprised that they did this so early in the month; I was expecting a few more weeks at minimum.

I was hoping that they would offer the GBA remake of Super Mario World, as I prefer that one to the original SNES version in every way except for one stupid change that they made. Still, they brought out the GBA remake on Christmas of last year, so I'm not too surprised.

I have a feeling that I may end up buying games just to buy games... with the exception of Super Metroid, none of the games, VC or otherwise, on my wish list made it onto the rewards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

triplexpac posted:

What's the one stupid change they made?

You can't re-enter fortresses and castles after you beat them until you've finished off Bowser. Considering that this version included Yoshi Coins as a trackable side-goal, I think that that was really stupid. On the SNES, there was a semi-secret way to go back into those stages by pressing L and R simultaneously.

Still, I much prefer the GBA version. Luigi (the superior brother) is playable, you don't become little if you take a hit with a cape feather or fire flower, and a bunch of other little things. Flying with the cape is still a right pain in the arse, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Stan Taylor posted:

Do we know when they're doing plat/gold rewards? And can we still redeem CN codes through the month? I've got about 200 now, which isn't quite enough for the cooler junk.

Brian Fellows posted:

Can you get games for systems you don't own yet and redeem them when you buy the system?

I'll probably get a Wii U later this year and I'd love to get Earthbound and Super Metroid.

I think that they said they were going to bring out the Gold/Platinum rewards in April - correct me if I am wrong. I actually want Earthbound myself (and Super Metroid), but EB was Platinum last year and to avoid paying good coin for games I would get for free, I might hold onto my chips until the G & P rewards go live.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PneumonicBook posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if gold/plat were just 'pick something' with the various digital and physical items put into gold and platinum tiers. Would make sense since the physical rewards all say they won't ship for months.

That's very possible, and would probably be okay with me.

elf help book posted:

You should use your coins to buy a game you want, and then play that game, today, and enjoy the game.

Want... play... enjoy... BAH! My cheap bastardness requires that I squeeze the maximum game-profit out of this arrangement.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

elf help book posted:

These forums, so filled with negativity...

I take it with this naïveté that you've been on these forums for about 8 seconds.

Welcome to SA!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Quest For Glory II posted:

Dont look at your to-do history or you'll see all the surveys you let expire and how many coins you gave up on :I

I lost 40 coins that way. Bit more attentive now.

Club Nintendo is "down for maintenance" yet again. Apparently they didn't anticipate that, just maybe, putting up a bunch of free stuff would cause a lot of people to visit their site. I just want to go in and look around at the rewards, but I haven't even been able to log in for 2 days.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mdm posted:

Funny, if you get Super Metroid for Wii U it's 200 coins but if you get it for Wii it's 250 coins :downs: same story with Super Punch Out

That's kind of great for me, actually. I was going to get the Wii version, which was a February special, for 250 and then maybe pay the $1.50 "upgrade fee" to make it WIi U instead. I'll gladly take less coins and no fee for the Wii U version, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have something of a technical question about the WiiU.

Like many, I'm going to pick up a copy of Trilogy before the sale ends. I have enough space on my Wii U to download it to the internal hard drive, but it's still going to take a while; my Wii U downloads much slower on the wireless than any of my laptops. What I want to know is if the Wii U will shut off during a download with no input. I'd like to just buy the game, start downloading the 8-9 gigs of data, put the gamepad in the charging cradle, turn off my TV and go to bed. Has anyone let the system go for hours while DLing something? I've never done that for more than 40 minutes or so at a time, and the Wii U's auto-shutoff kicks in after an hour, I believe.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just saw that Star Fox 64 for Wii is available as a reward, and I am very happy about that. That was on VC for coins right after I signed up for Club Nintendo last summer, but I forgot the date for monthly changeover and missed out. Too bad that there isn't a Wii U "port" like with Super Metroid, but it's still a sure buy for me.

So, Super Metroid 'U' for 200 coins and SF64 for 250. Now to spend 760 more coins. I'd kind of like Wonderful 101, but I don't have the hard drive space for it with Trilogy on my Wii U and I'm not keen to buy a hard drive. There are some GBA games there that look tempting, but I bought myself a Game Boy Player for GameCube as a Christmas present and I have a lot of those listed GBA games on cartridge. It's hard to justify spending coins to buy games I can already play on my flat screen and also take with me while away from home that use the same save files. Golden Sun is a good example.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I haven't really played NWMB2, but I 100% the first one after playing in spurts for months, and I quite enjoyed it. Running on water as mini-Luigi was fun. I'm pissed off that you have to unlock Luigi in 2 after you could just play him as a semi-secret in the first one. Yes, I'm well aware that he's just a palette swap; I'm weird that way.

Possibly a stupid question, but can you register an original DS (the rectangular one with the GBA slot) online for coins? I presume not, but I'd hate to miss out on coins. I bought a 3DSXL last year and received a Wii U as a gift, which were worth about 400 coins together, so I'd hate to leave a system's worth of coins on the table.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nah you can't even register a DS Lite. The DSi/XL are the earliest handhelds you can register.

Didn't think so. I would have bought a DSXL if they hadn't taken out the GBA compatibility. I bought a GBASP, the kind with the really good backlighting, basically just to play GB/SGB/GBC on; it actually fits my huge hands very poorly. If I want to play a GBA game portably, I use my DS Lite. If I want to play a DS game, I use my 3DS.

I may have too many portable systems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Yes, I have the AGS-101 model that came out later, but the plastic shell is a black one from the earlier, frontlit model (AGS-001). I saw it on eBay and had to have it. The fantastic illumination of the later model but with the gorgeous black shell of the earlier model. Best of both worlds. It's great, really, because I can play games on it in a pitch-black room, and that's on the lower setting. The high illumination setting almost hurts me to look at it, plus it drains the batteries faster.

I was reading up on the annual Gold and Platinum rewards, and according to Nintendo's page those will be available to redeem from 1 April 2015 to 30 April 2015. I assume by this that they will make those available by the end of March, and I'm going to hold onto my coins then. I'd say that there is a very good chance that I buy Star Fox 3D with my coins, because that game is loving expensive. I can see myself spending 700 coins on it, but not real money. Sure, that does mean less retro games for 200/250 coins a go, but I can see myself dropping $8 or $10 on Star Fox 64 on Wii VC... I'm just too cheap to pay $40 for the 3DS remake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Minidust posted:

Man, I was going through some of my old DS game cases at my parents' house to see if there were any CN codes I left behind, and it's crazy how much paper they used to stuff in those things. Full game manual, that safety pamphlet, sometimes an ad for other games, Nintendo Power offer, the 3-4 page thing that actually had the CN code on it, and that ridiculous Nintendo Wi-Fi connection booklet that was like 30 pages. Now we either get a single slip of paper or nothing.

I can certainly understand getting rid of all that crap... I miss color paper manuals though.

I noticed the same thing. I have a plastic tote where I keep things like that; I kept just one copy of the safety information and recycled the rest, but I keep all instruction books. I actually recently bought a used but complete copy of Mega Man X7 (yes I know it sucks) online, and it actually came with 2 copies of the instructions.

I almost never keep boxes, though. The just take up too much space that I don't have.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Someone a page or two back mentioned Excitebike 3d. I missed the free giveaway period on it, but I bought it and it's excellent even though I am awful at it. It's better than the original in every buggering way, I'd say. My only complaint, which is universal to all versions, is that there aren't enough pre-made tracks and no way that I know of to download those made by others. I like playing all sorts of tracks, but I don't like making my own. Yes, I'm aware that that sounds odd.

I'm gagging now to play some version of Star Fox 64. Does anyone know how many blocks the digital download version of the game takes? I have a fair few downloaded games on my 3DS, but they are all old games that are small. All modern games that were made or ported to 3DS I have on cartridge, so they don't take up space in permanent memory.

Also, for the Wii (not U) version of Star Fox 64... what are the controller options? I'm also thinking about dropping $10 on that game so that I can play it on my big screen, but Wii controls have ruined a fair few good games for me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ChaosArgate posted:

Classic Controller and if you're playing on an actual Wii, GameCube controller.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You need a Wii Classic Controller attachment to play N64 games. Look online at Gamestop and see if any local stores have them in stock, I was able to score two of them for like $12 each a few months ago because my roommates wanted to play Mario Party 2.

I'll be playing on a Wii U in Wii mode as I mothballed my Wii, but I'm good on both counts. Hooray! I just bought a gently used GameCube with no controllers, but I still have my 4 WaveBirds from years ago.

I also purchased a Classic Pro Controller from Gamestop for I believe $16.19 about two months ago. The third party ones were shite and all of the Nintendo-made ones online were $33+, so that was a real find.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

less laughter posted:

Star Fox 64 3D is 5,120 blocks (640 MB).

Much obliged.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

If so I'm gonna grab Star Fox on my Wii U

I've been deliberately very careful with my money recently, but I think that I am going to indulge myself tonight and pay out $10 for that game also to play on my Wii U in Wii mode. I wish that there was a proper Wii U version like with Super Metroid so that I could use my Wii U Pro Controller, but I'm really excited now to play that great old game on a big telly. I could get it with Nintendo Coins, but there are plenty of other games to spend them on and I want to sit tight until they announce the Gold and Platinum awards. I will probably end up getting Stat Fox 3D with coins, eventually, though.

I was looking at the poster sets that are available for coins, and I was wondering... since all of those games can be bought for real money, can one buy any of the posters perchance with real-life currency? I don't really care about most of them, but there are two that I really like: the Duck Hunt one, and the 8-bit Luigi one. Probably coins only as part of the "Going Out of Business Sale" for Club Nintendo, but I figured that it was worth asking.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Apparently the are having similar issues with Super Nintendo emulation on the 3DS. Not sure what they are and I am justifiably sceptical, but that is as I understand it the reason that there are no SNES Virtual Console games on the 3DS despite them being abundant on Wii and Wii U.

I just found out last night after buying Star Fox 64 for the Wii that my favourite Genesis game of all time, Toe Jam and Earl, is available on the Wii VC. The only reason that I didn't buy it was because, like the original Genesis cartridge, there's no way to save your game and it's just long enough of a game that I won't finish a round in one sitting. It has a save anywhere function on Steam and of course one can always save states if emulating on a computer, and being able to pick up where I left off is quite important to me. If they ever bring it out on the 3DS with the save point system like so many other retro games have on that portable, it's an instant buy for me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

less laughter posted:

Doesn't it have the restore point function that just lets you continue where you left off like other VC games?

McFunkerson posted:

Interesting, I didn't realize that. I'm 130 coins away from platinum right now. I'd like to get w101, after the post play survey I'll be 60 coins away and have 400 to spend... I don't suppose there is anyway to make 60 more coins by spending the last 400 is there?

I have Star Fox 64 and Mega Man 9 and 10 on Wii VC, but that's it. I'm going to go test this and, if it's true, I'm going to buy TJ&E.

Thanks Goons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Star Fox 64 does not support this, as it's an N64 title, and neither MM9 nor MM10 are Virtual Console, they're actual Wii games, so they don't support it either. Most emulated consoles should support it though. NES and SNES definitely do, at least.

Do note that it is a very limited functionality. It'll save your state when you exit and resume you there when you launch it again, but there's no way to manually load the state or even reload it once it's been loaded once. Think of it like leaving the actual console running on a pause screen and nothing else.

Ah, okay, thanks for explaining. I should probably just stop being a lazy sod and hook my laptop up to my HD television. It has an HDMI out port and I have a cable, I just can't be arsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Niemat posted:

Is it a good use of my Club Nintendo coins to get 3D Land if I already have 3D World...? Or would I be better off just getting Earthbound and Dr. Luigi?

I have both, but I haven't played World yet because I want to 100% Land first.

I really enjoy Land and the 3D is relatively well done, I just keep it off most of the time because you have to be in just the right position to see it without getting a splitting headache. Perhaps the new 3DS will be better, but that's as may be. Miyamoto flat-out said that they just wanted to try making a 3D Mario game in the style of a 2D game, and it shows. The level progression is linear and there are no themed worlds like desert, jungle, fire/ice etc, just various levels in a line. They are fun levels, but there is a lack of coherency. There's no map screen where you can go different ways, find secret paths and so on, which I do miss. Also, the game has 3 major "top-tier" power-ups: 2 different Tanooki suits (without statue power and with), fire flower of course, and boomerang brother suit. The game is really built around the Tanooki suits - half the enemies have raccoon tails - and they made minimal effort to have levels or situations where another power up would be ideal.

The camera is almost perfect, I will say, since it's essentially a 2D game in 3D, and you will virtually never have issues with it. Is it a fun game that platformer fans should play? Absolutely, but it's a step back in some ways. That's okay, because it was the first attempt at a new formula, and I respect that. World, though, is the summit of that formula; Land is a first draft, in a way.