Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Asking for some help, I will be much appreciated if someone could give me their insight.

Between Splatoon, Super Mario Maker or Smash 4, what would be the better purchase?

Smash 4 was going to be my choice, but I would be able to only get the game vanilla and leave the dlc. All I really want are the characters, but even those prices add up to money I'd rather save at this moment.

Super Mario Maker just seems like it is amaxing. Not sure how the designing a level aspect would work for me since I don't much have the patience, but I do love the 2D Mario games that this seems to have endless content for quick run-through levels.

Splatoon just looks interesting to me. I haven't played many shooters due to lack of interest, but the mobility, different assortment of weapons, and fighting for map control has my curiosity peaked.

Edit: As for Smash 4. I understand I don't need to buy them now. I just prefer having all the characters at once, so holding off on the game altogether would be the better option.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Thank you to the people that did reply. I just have one more question.

Is the connection for online play really that bad without an adapter? I keep my Wii U in my bedroom; it is a distance from the router, so I may be stuck with just the option of a wireless connection.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Will Super Meat Boy for Wii U have the old soundtrack, similar to the game on steam, or will it have the new soundtrack, similar to the game on PS4?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

From what I remembered on why the soundtrack changed, it is going to be the new one. Unless the developer and composer made up and I haven't heard about it.

voltcatfish posted:

it doesn't have danny b's wonderful soundtrack

so don't buy it basically

Sarchasm posted:

My guess is that all releases of Super Meat Boy going forward will have the new soundtrack. I'd like to be wrong on this one, but I kinda doubt it.

Aww, that's disappointing. I thoroughly enjoyed Danny B's music. Almost to the point where I can't tell if the new soundtrack is outright bad, or if I just really liked the old tracks.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Here's a US WiiU humble bundle folks.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: B0L7S3JW2N8HPFN6

Have fun.
Thank you very much for this.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

What am I looking at? Do you have blow through the mic to play this?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's a dumb definition of mainline and I refuse to use it. :colbert: Also the time line is loving bullshit. I love Zelda to the point that I own Adventures of Link on cartridge, but the time line is just a bunch of fan wank IMO.

I would say mainline Zelda games would be ones that appeared on Nintendo systems. It's simple and excludes any cd-i.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

May someone tell me if there are any cons to the 3ds version of legacy collection compared to original MM 1-6? I remember reading about even more slowdown than normal.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MM5 has a lot of added slowdown (but Rockman 5 doesn't, so you can play that version) and MM5/6 have extra slowdown during specific sections of each game.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's fine for the most part. The only big issue is Mega Man V runs bad for some reason but it can be fixed by switching to Japanese.

Oh, that's strange but alright. That is not at all a dealbreaker especially with the current 10 dollar pricepoint. Thanks.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

I wish they'd put the SNES version of Yoshi's Island on the VC, the GBA one just isn't the same :(

Aside from the voice clips, what are the differences between the two versions?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Spacebump posted:

The music sounds off the whole time. If you didn't play the original, you won't notice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Worse graphics and awful sound. The GBA version does have some extra levels though.
Jeez, all I have tried was the GBA version. Kind of want to try it for SNES now to see if I think the music is off, or if it is improved.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Axiom Verge is rad as hell and everyone here should play it, especially if you're pining for a 2D Metroid.

This makes me really excited. Tried the PS4 demo at a Gamestop and it left me wanting so much more.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Nihon Falcom's action-adventure game Gurumin is being "remastered" for 3DS, it'll be out in NA this summer for $15: http://gurumin.rocks/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIC2LacJ18E

This looks pretty sick. Has anyone itt tried Gurumin?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

The Wii U version of this game is apparently busted as poo poo so even if you are still interested, maybe hold off for a little while and see if they ever fix it.

What have you read? I have tried looking it up, but it's just criticisms about the game across all consoles or wrong/not working codes.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Yikes. I guess I will hold off on dling right away. Thanks for the instant response.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

all beverages should be either near frozen or piping hot (coffee and tea only, death to iced coffee)

Counterpoint: Cold brew is delicious. :colbert:

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

If I purchase a game that cost 4.99 in the eshop, do I get gold coins for mynintendo?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

Nope; minimum purchase to get coins is $5 even

Blah. I was hoping that was not the case. Oh well, thank you.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Another question about Nintendo gold coins. I understand they can still be earned even if a game is discounted, but the original is above at least 5 dollars. Does this count for vc games that are discounted because they were original Wii vc purchases?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

How do DS games work on the Wii U? Is it just the tv for the top screen and the gamepad for the touchscreen, or is it both screens on both displays?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

There are five or six different settings - one of them lets you put the top screen on the tv and the touchscreen on the gamepad but the other settings are mirrored on both displays. There's a standard display option (with an ugly DS border), settings that let you make one screen bigger and the other smaller, a setting to put the screens in book orientation for games that used the DS held vertically, and a setting that's meant to be used with the gamepad held vertically.

Great!

I may go for Mass Attack, then.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

They took forever to add the discount for Majoras Mask as well. You may have to be patient for it.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Get it. If you are a fan of Picross, it's great. That and I am not sure if they will have another My Nintendo game anytime soon.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I got Cave Story+ for Switch and was curious if there was a way to switch between old and new graphics? Since it was a feature in older ports, I assumed it would be here, but it appears to only be the new look.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah. It looks fine, but I do have a weird gripe how there is a weird light that surrounds certain things like the bubbles of the Bubbline.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Isn't PPT cheaper when purchased digitally? I am not sure if that is what you are going off of, but, if not, that may help sway your opinion.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I don't know, isn't PSVR going to support Senran Kagura? Sony seems to not want to lose that title.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

The Senran Kagura guy already announced a Switch game that uses HD rumble to simulate fondling huge anime titties.

I forgot that that was a thing being made. It's slowly coming back to me as it was mentioned either here or in the Switch thread a while ago. I take back what I said.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, the only problem Nicalis has nowadays seems to be pricing, but fifteen dollars is a fair price for Ikaruga.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

It's hard to guage what was actually bad with Cave Story since the Wii was the first version I played which, to me, had small bugs and a translation that seemed alright but fans deemed terrible.

I heard bad things about Binding of Isaac for Wii U, no idea about the Switch port, though...you may be on to something.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

I mean....it's smash. So I don't really care. But it was pretty grossly overpriced for what you got.

The characters were decently priced, as was the game.

Edit: Smash 4 is also the best Smash game in terms of balance.

Spellman posted:

But Nintendo is particularly lauded for cheap DLC, which the only example of this I can think of is Mario Kart 8, which offered 16 stages, 6 characters and 8 vehicles for 12 dollars

So, not always, and Smash is still the worst example ever to defend

You also can't compare a character in a racing game to a fighting game. There is more work that goes into the character for the fighting game.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 8, 2018

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Clearly Smash is a visual novel.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Calculate how much it costs to get all the dlc if you bought Street Fighter 4 base edition and wanted all costumes/upgrades.

This is only applicable if you bought the base game. Capcom has since released SSF4AE which is a lot cheaper and includes most, if not all, the dlc.

Edit: While I do think the dlc is priced fairly, Nintendo could do something similar to this. Like discount dlc bundles for those who could wait.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

SF4 and SSF4AE2012 are the same game.

Smash 4 and Ultimate are not.

Edit: In fact I have no idea what you are actually getting at.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 8, 2018

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone tried out Pocket Rumble? I am curious about picking it up but would like to know how playable the online multiplayer is.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

njsykora posted:

The multiplayer is built on GGPO (surprising some people who seem to think Riot own it because they hired the team that developed it) so at the very worst it's going to be playable. I'm probably picking it up soon because it looks really cool and I like the Neo Geo Pocket Colour.

Sick! I glossed over that the netcode is GGPO. I'm only familiar with it from Skullgirls, but it was the best online experience with a fighting that I've had.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Does Towerfall bring anything significant for a single player experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Runner 3 is also 66% off making it 10 dollars instead of the usual 30. This comes right after Choice Provisions dropped a big patch for the game to address issues people have had with it.