Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"The Final Level" in Wario Land 2 doesn't mean a lot, there's at least four of those.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Man I love interlacing in my game trailers composed entirely of digital assets.

Also, is that a loving Q-Bert clone? Why?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

What's the point of a comparison like that if you don't actually sync up the games at specific events, such as "start of gameplay".

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nope. Completely different games with some link-up/data transfer functionality between them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Weren't there some bits you absolutely HAD to have the link cable for, or was it all password-accessible?

I'm pretty sure everything can be done via password.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The connectivity can be done entirely through passwords, so yeah of course it'll be possible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Call Now posted:

I just hope it would be the same price as Project X Zone. Actually, if all 3DS games in Europe would be that price I'd only buy digital copies

They announced a price for digital Project X Zone?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've heard that MM2/3/4 may or may not be discounted on the PAL eShop right now - anyone wanna check? They're not actually listed on either press release...

Doesn't appear to be.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I just heard you never got Super Mario RPG either?!? (until now) :ohdear: You poor, poor people. I'm so sorry.

We missed out on a bunch of SNES RPG stuff. Our first Final Fantasy was VII on the PSX, and we never got Chrono Trigger until the DS remake.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

On the other hand, the first boss in Sonic 2 Game Gear is impossible so you'll never see anything but the first few levels.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

(Unless you get hosed with the Top Spin glitch on Shadowman)

Unless we're not thinking of the same thing, it's not actually a glitch, just a weird quirk in how Top Spin weapon ammo works. Top Spin weapon energy goes down by 1 for each hit, rather than each use. Unfortunately, this also counts for hits against enemies that are either impervious to it, or currently have invincibility frames up, in which case you'll lose weapon energy for each frame you're still 'hitting' that enemy.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sega's VC stuff might, but Nintendo's definitely doesn't.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mechathief posted:

Just a heads-up; there was a post on NeoGAF a few days ago about a person who switched to a different NNID and had his original deleted out of nowhere invalidating his purchases. Well, I did a name change myself before learning of this and when I went to boot up the WiiU just now to get Mario 3D world, I just learned that my original NNID was also deleted out the blue. I'm going to call Nintendo tomorrow at some point, but... wow, this kind of stinks.

EDIT: Okay, so I made a new user and linked to the existing NNID I had made those purchases on, went into the eShop and my balance is still there and it's saying I've purchsed the games I did, and will let me download them. The games that have been installed still say they don't work because the NNID was deleted but it looks like I can redownload them and use them... .. or just start the game again after it took me to the eShop to "purchase" it again. So THAT works.

Okay so lesson learned: Never do that again.

I feel like you need to elaborate on this. What does 'switching' to a different NNID involve? How did your NNID get deleted?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Can I use the same account for all of 1 US region 3DS, 1 JP region 3DS, and 1 US region WiiU?

This might be an interesting prospect.

I haven't tried but I doubt it. The NNID disclaimer screen before you create/link one has something along the lines of "the region set on the 3DS and the region of the NNID must match".

Plus, y'know, Nintendo's dumb refusal of letting you use the same account on multiple hardware systems.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's no one emulator for each console; each game has to be optimised individually. Then there's the fact that the Wii U and Wii are each different consoles and run on hardware with their own characteristics that affect the emulation.
Yeah yeah, Nintendo says that, but come on. Look at unofficial emulators, say Snes9x. It runs most games perfectly fine on a multitude of systems using the same codebase with just minor adjustments for each. It is far more likely that they have a common emulator that adds or removes a speedhack here and there for each release, depending on what the game needs. That process does not take a full 40 hour week per game*.

* Assuming they have a single person working on the entire Virtual Console lineup.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 12, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So I assume despite being listed as WiiU it's just a Wii Shop code, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nope!

Nintendo and Online!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

digital library of games new and old that you carry with you between current and future platforms.

Well they still haven't fixed that issue, you know!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Basically anything relating to the Link Cable or Transfer Pak in the case of the Mario Sports games were completely dummied out.

Actually, I dunno how that is for the GBC VC games, but the N64 Mario Tennis on Wii VC still has all GBC-Link content in it, easily accessible by modifying your save file.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I hope that image is not representative of the colorization of the GBA games on VC. The game looked better on my Gamecube Game Boy Player.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Advance Wars is really tempting, savestates are a big feature for me since I sucked so much at it back in the day :ohdear:

You do realize that you can save at any time in Advance Wars already anyway, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I'm guessing it's a "save and quit" type of thing? Haven't played since the year of release. You can't save scum, is what I mean.

Yes you can, that's my point. Loading a save doesn't delete it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I know I've read somewhere by a reputable source that the 3DS does the ambassador GBA titles by effectively switching the firmware into GBA mode and re-routing cartridge access to RAM, but I can't find it at the moment.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Tech report on Advance Wars (European Version): Looks fine. On the gamepad, the game is scaled exactly 3x (240x160 -> 720x480) and on the TV you have a choice between Full Screen Mode and Original Resolution. The former scales the game to the full 1080 vertical, while the latter appears to scale 6x to 1440x960, leaving black bars on all four sides. All displays and options respect the proper aspect ratio and leave black bars to the left and right.

You also get a "smoothing" option which determines the scaling method. Off scales with nearest neighbor, on scales with HQ2x or some variant of that.

No options for Coloring, but the default looks good, if perhaps very slightly darkened when compared to VBA running the same game, though I suppose that could be my TV's or monitor's color settings.

Apart from that you get the typical WiiU Virtual Console stuff of one save state and button remapping.

Hitting the (?) on the Gamepad opens up a scanned manual, looks good although if you zoom in you can see some JPG compression. Opening the manual pauses the game, but you can hit a button to leave the game running on the TV while also having the manual open on the Gamepad. Manual appears to be completely uncut from the original, they even left in the pages for linking multiple GBAs together as well as the Notes section at the end.

For those wondering, if you connect a Wiimote with a Classic Controller, you can use that to play the game too, so a 2-player Mario & Luigi run is possible. Presumably you can do the same with a WiiU Pro controller, but I don't have one of those to test. You can not connect multiple Wiimotes, so no 4 player Advance Wars without passing a controller back and forth, unfortunately. A Wiimote without attachment or with the Nunchuck refuses to connect as well.

For those with storage concerns, Advance Wars totals 62 MB with 59 MB for the game and 2496 KB for the save + savestate file. Considering the GBA cartridge is 8 MB, that's over 50 MB for the emulator and manual scan, sheesh.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I just turned on my 3DS for the first time in a couple weeks and was coming here to ask what the gently caress they're trying to do pushing this nightmarish shovelware-looking garbage onto my system.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball actually owns and is far from shovelware.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

No it doesn't, only the multiplayer stuff does, because they had a deal with GameSpy and GameSpy is shutting down. The shop will still be accessible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

My first guess would be to jump on MH3U, as I've never played one. What does it play like? Are any of the others worth taking over it?

Dude, you don't have Wonderful 101, get that immediately.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

DS Emulator is even more ridiculous than the GBA one, size wise. If you recall, the GBA game package was roughly 60 MB of which 8 were the game, leaving over 50 MB for emulator + manual.

DS game package is 75 MB and does also have manual scans, but no other features apart from clicking the right stick to rotate the screens 180°. The European Brain Training DS game is on a 16 MB card, which means that, somehow, nearly 60 MB are used on emulator + manual. The real kicker is though that the game creates a 64 MB save file per user, which is astounding as the DS game uses a 256 KB flash memory for its save. I have no idea how they possibly get to that 64 MB filesize -- even if you store the current DS RAM state (4 MB) and DS firmware for custom user settings (256 KB) you would not get anywhere near close to that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You still owe us a Rune Factory 4, at the very least.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh man, Pokémon TCG! I love that game, mostly for its insanely catchy soundtrack. I'm still disappointed we never got an official English version of the sequel.

The game itself is solid too, of course.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Might have meant zero reason to play because this exists: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Does the online version have a kickass soundtrack?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That looks like the stuff Lowtax LPs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Assuming the DSi version is like the DS one, don't bother. They changed the physics of how blocks drop compared to the SNES/N64/GCN versions and if you play those with any sort of regularity it will gently caress you up.

Plus they removed all the charm from the game, it's all just generic backgrounds with meh music.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Haha, you think NoA actually has the ability to decide anything that happens.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'm curious actually, Rare was a UK dev. Did they originally make the games in PAL and converted them to NTSC? Or did they like most devs make the NTSC version first? And in either case, was the opposite version a proper conversation?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

In Europe, NES Remix 1 and 2 are 10€ each, while Ultimate here is 40€.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

it's an incredibly well designed and fun game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Honestly that's smaller than I thought.