Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

curiousCat posted:

I have $30 in my 3DS credit because I bought SMTIV and FE. Any recommendations?

If you're putting it into the 3DS: Pushmo, Crashmo, Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2, any/all of the Zelda VC games, maybe Shantae (GBC) and its DSiWare sequel if you happen to be interested in a Monster World IV-esque platforming adventure game.

If you're putting it into the Wii U (if you own one I guess): DuckTales Remastered, Mighty Switch Force HD Edition, a couple of various SNES games on VC like Harvest Moon or Super Metroid I suppose.

For reference, I put my $30 credit into the Wii U so I could get DuckTales and then slowly get those VC game discount upgrade things over the next couple of months/years/whenever.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
How is Nicalis still in business? :psyduck:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Man, I really shouldn't have scrolled to see the comments. People in there all proud that they can just download emulators and pirate ROMS because why not

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Do not even ask posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Goddammit Nicalis. Just... goddammit.

Don't worry, I don't think it'll come to the Vita either. Or if it does, not until 2018 because Nicalis.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They also mentioned that the PAL WU release is outselling the PSN version, which is kinda interesting.

Isn't there a similar thing occurring with the Wii U version of Rayman Legends outselling the other platforms in Europe or the UK or whatever?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

Whats the word on the GBC Shantae? I'm thinking about getting it.

Go into it expecting an "NES Hard" game. It's kind of like Zelda II, if the game didn't have an overhead world and all the areas were just interconnected like in Metroid. The dungeon parts are great, but the areas you need to traverse between towns and dungeons are kind of annoying in the early stages of the game. Some grunt enemies take a lot of hits to kill until you get a few pieces of equipment/skills that make them more manageable. There's a day/night system which determines when you can get certain collectibles (fireflies for an optional spell) and which determine the health of the enemies (at night, enemies take a ridiculous amount of hits to kill until you get said skills). And in a few areas, namely this stretch of landscape full of waterfalls and pits, you may end up blindly jumping into said pits due to how much vertical space they give to the area (the trick is to drop straight down off an edge rather than leap off until you get used to the layout).

It has a lot of rough areas, but the dungeons are well done, and the whole game is a nice take on the whole Zelda II/Battle of Olympus/Monster World IV/Metroidvania 2D action-adventure platforming thing. Your Results May Vary (tm) but I managed to beat it while playing it on-and-off for a week or so.

Risky's Revenge fixed a lot of those issues. If you played that game, then just expect a more difficult, slightly longer version of that.

Anyway, four Irem TG16 games have magically reappeared on the Wii VC - R-Type, Legend of Hero Tomna, Vigilante and Ninja Spirit.

Huh, that's odd. Is this the first time a pulled game got put back on the service?

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ronnie posted:

Is it bad that I am enjoying both Mighty Switch Force games more than Luigi's Mansion 2?

Nope, nothing wrong with that. Both Mighty Switch Force games rule. I mean, I like Luigi's Mansion, but MSF fills that time attack puzzle-platforming niche I crave.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Everybody seems to be confused. This is the best Shinobi, I mean how can you all be so wrong?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Artix posted:

So are the Final Fight games any good? I know that they're beat-em-ups and the first one doesn't have multiplayer for some godforsaken reason, but I can't say much about them besides that.

The first game, from what I can tell, was just Capcom trying to shove as much poo poo into the smallest/cheapest cartridge they could, what with it being the early days of the SNES and all. It's alright, but the other two are better. Final Fight 2 is arguably better than Final Fight 3. While Final Fight 3 has more features, it's also way too easy, even at the hardest difficulty setting. It's pretty much the opposite of Streets of Rage 2 versus Streets of Rage 3, where SoR3 had more going for it but was unnecessarily difficult.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

RVWinkle posted:

Final Fight is such a good game but the censorship and removal of Guy generates quite a few complaints. It was also a SNES launch title, or at least early release. If I recall correctly, it suffered from quite a bit of flicker and slowdown.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts had slowdown as well. Those early Capcom titles seemed to be a case of Capcom trying to do too much with too little.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Zelda buyable with Club Nintendo coins. Way to poo poo on ambassadors Nintendo.

Zelda 1 has been available for purchase on the 3DS for a while now. I think all the NES games that were given to ambassadors were. GBA games, however, aren't.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I must've missed a patch or a Wii U feature or something, but while trying out some Wii VC games on the gamepad, I noticed that the games are actually in a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of stretched out across the TV/gamepad. Was this a recent development, or did the Wii U always do this?

Wii Virtual Console, not Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wii U has always done it with its own games, but the Wii Virtual Console games on the original Wii and the Wii U were always stretched to the screen.

They recently fixed that.

My biggest complaint about the Wii VC stuff was that whole stretched look, so seeing as how they finally got around to correcting that is great. It's like my Wii VC games have a second life to them!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm kind of confused as to why Yoshi's Cookie would be pulled. Doesn't make much sense. Does Nintendo not own the actual gameplay mechanics or something dumb like that?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, but... Yoshi's Cookie. I got this game for free and I haven't played it.

Yoshi's Cookie is actually a great puzzle game.

You're probably thinking of Yoshi, which is not a good puzzle game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The T posted:

HEY YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Yoshi is... Yoshi is... a kind of okay game. :(

I had it as a kid and played it a ton nostalgia maaan. :smith:

I'm a huge fan of NES-era puzzle games, and the biggest problem I have with Yoshi is that it came out after both Tetris and Dr. Mario were released. As far as falling block puzzle games go, it was kind of disappointing by comparison. I would be a lot more forgiving of it had it been released before those two came out.

That being said, I did buy it on the Wii U during that thirty cent promotion. And I own a physical copy of the game for my NES collection.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Clu Clu Land is a pretty fun launch game, though I don't know if it'll be worth $5 to most folks. Urban Champion is like one of the earliest fighting games. It's also not a good game, even back when it was new (I remember when it was new :negative: ).

That being said, I own physical copies of both for my NES, along with pretty much all of the games currently on the Wii U VC, so I wonder why I bother buying VC games in the first place.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Machine posted:

The one thing I have loving hated about Nintendo since the Wii launch is how loving slow the VC releases are. It's loving pathetic and comes off as insanely lazy on their part. Look at something like Steam which releases upwards of dozens of games per week and the ~maybe 3 games is just pitiful and unnecessary.

Literally mad irl about old video game downloads.

Valve doesn't develop all the video games that get released on Steam.

The slow releases for the VC is lovely, but Nintendo only has so many games they can put up there before they run out and have to rely on third-parties for the rest of the games. Look at the 3DS VC: most of Nintendo's original Game Boy games are already on the system, with the only ones remaining being the Donkey Kong Land games, the early Pokemon games, Wave Race, and Play Action Football. I figure they think it's better to drip feed the poo poo rather than throw them all out at once and then people complain there aren't any games being released at all after the fact. That being said, the Wii U VC releases are anemic, and I wish they'd have a better release schedule.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

uPen posted:

I'm sure some companies might be more interested in releasing games on the VC if they had a better choice than releasing ancient (NES, GB) games on a system with an actual userbase or more modern (GBA, SNES) games on a system nobody owns. The fact that there's still no SNES or GBA games on the 3DS virtual console is absolutely criminal.

I'd be satisfied if they can get GBA games on the 3DS at all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Okay, I'm buying this.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The good news about Nintendo churning out all these "black box" NES games is that they're gonna run out eventually. Which means things can only look up! (or I guess we can expect nothing to be released afterward, whatever)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Is Space Harrier cool?

It's like Star Fox before Star Fox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH68OsvOEI

Also the main theme rules.

(Space Harrier is the best)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

It's gone from the page entirely now.

I remember they made Super Metroid a CN prize during the Wii U VC Trial promotion and then refunded everyone since it was available for 30c at the time, so I'm kinda thinking they took this down because they plan to make LTTP available for Wii U around the time LTTP2 drops.

That would make sense. Hopefully they put something else up that I don't already have!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

citizenlowell posted:

Isn't this the second week in a row we've seen a Konami game? Maybe we'll see some Castlevania games before this is over.

Super Castlevania IV is already on the eShop, if you didn't know.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

I'm curious, since the store accounts are merged now, does that mean the Deluxe Edition's "Spend $50 and get $5 back" now applies to the 3DS?

If you mean the $5 eShop credit, I'm sure those were redeemable on the 3DS before.

If you mean 3DS eShop purchases giving points on the promotion, probably not. However, I did buy something off the 3DS eShop today, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow whether or not points get added!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Judging from how the page for the game looks, and how it's being worded, I think Lost Levels is actually the Wii version and not a Wii U version. Also, Club Nintendo is getting hammered it looks like.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 10, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Every time you do a Club Nintendo survey mention the bad release schedule.

I do this each time, on the appropriate surveys (Virtual Console-related surveys) and I write out my grievances with the service as clearly and concise as possible.

I'd imagine everybody else is filling out the surveys like they're writing up a new entry in gamers.txt.

EDIT: The trailer for Double Dragon rules. Look out for the hidden surprise at 0:22!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRUmdHVU508

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Best Buy is doing 20% off eshop cards AGAIN from Dec 22-28

Well… ok then.

Excellent. I already burned through most of the card I bought last sale thanks to that 3DS-Wii U wallet sharing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Do I need to play Mighty Switch Force 1 to play 2? It looks interesting, but if there's no connection I'd rather jump right to the sequel.

Nope. The "plot" is barebones on both games. Ideally, buy both for maximum speedrunning puzzle-platforming.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ace Attorney 5 didn't pull Call of Duty numbers, unfortunately, so it'll be dead again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

elf help book posted:

Should I get Mighty Switch Force 2 on Wii U or 3DS?

They didn't do an HD version of Mighty Switch Force 2 on the Wii U like they did with the first one, so it's pretty much a port of the 3DS game from what I gather. They're price the same and everything. I'd say get the 3DS version since you can just take it wherever. I have no idea if they're going to do an HD version of 2 like they did the first, either.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Quick, what's the best virtual console game that's not a platformer?

Earthbound?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

gently caress yeah, I'm gonna grab bit.trip.beat 2 when I get home, as well as spin the bottle. What's Giana Sisters?

It's a pretty good 2D platformer, though some of the stages feel a bit too long.

Fun Fact: The original game in the series, The Great Giana Sisters, is a Commodore 64 game that strangely looks familiar...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Man, not to poo poo on NES oldies, but is there any reason to play GQ instead of Demon's Crest?

Play them both. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

They have 90 versions of Street Fighter 2 for sale...

That's more Capcom's deal than Nintendo. Capcom loves releasing small upgrades as full-blown games, ya know.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

elf help book posted:

Renegade was the first beat'em up that wasn't completely flat. Think Double Dragon as opposed to Altered Beast.

It's also technically the first Kunio-kun game. And not a very good game at that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

What are the odds that Super Mario 3 on VC is Nintendo's big E3 announcement?

The amount of angry essay-long NeoGAF posts that will result from this will be worth it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Mighty Bomb Jack is a fun game for funhavers. Then again, I have a soft spot for those really early third-party NES games.

I hope this means the US will get three VC games. (more likely NoA is gonna release nothing)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Silver95280 posted:

Are there any good WiiWare games on the Wii shop? I have 2200 almost forgotten points to burn. And its pretty obvious that the shop isn't getting any more updates.

I'll second katkillad2's recommendations. La-Mulana is great, you should get that if you enjoy "Metroidvania" style games. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth is a throwback to the pre-Metroidvania-style Castlevania games which plays more like the NES games/Rondo of Blood than SOTN, and I really wish Konami would make more of those kind of games. Mega Man 9 and 10 are pretty good if you like Mega Man 2. And I don't know how everybody else felt about ExciteBike: World Rally, but I thought that was fun as well.

I'd say top priority should be La-Mulana, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Crawfish posted:

I wouldn't mind Capcom porting Mega Man 9 and 10 to the Wii U and slapping the same "if you owned and transferred the WiiWare version, the eShop version is $2" thing the Virtual Console stuff gets personally.

Nintendo should just do the porting for them. It's not like it'd be the first time Nintendo published a Capcom game in the US when Capcom wouldn't bother (Mega Man 6 on the NES, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES).