Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Can we please not relitigate the whole "it's a best of seven / no it's not" thing? It went on for several pages last time.

Maybe if people would stop being wrong about it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
you're arguing that "best of seven is just what you call any competition where seven is the maximum number of games, regardless of number of participants or games required to win"

i think a lot of people including myself would interpret that differently, but if you're locked in on that interpretation then yeah this is a clear "agree to disagree" and we don't need to waste any further time

anyway, cool finals so far. i hope they keep asking fun questions and there is more cool trivia. also i hope they stop interviewing yogesh after the first commercial but that seems unlikely. can't wait for the invitational

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CPColin posted:

No it isn't because the tournament is over when the first contestant wins three games.

So that's first to 3, not best of seven.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

1glitch0 posted:

So that's first to 3, not best of seven.

☝️

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Today, Ken calls it "First to three wins", no mention of seven.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Really feels like "true daily double" breaks the game quite a bit, at least for good players. Hercules and Africa??

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FJ: wagering??????

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yogesh doesn't seem as assholish in these games. Actually kinda pleasant

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
With LL100 wrapping up Monday, would it be plausible to take the data of known Jeopardy contestants in either the TOC or JIT & Learned League and compare them against one another (or goons)?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, Yogesh has actually been fairly self deprecating. I'm still inclined to root for either Troy or Ben, though, because I just like them better.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh so weird Jeopardy story: Turns out our lawyer was on 3 episodes. He won Ken's last game during the initial guest host debacle, then lost on Mayim's first game ever. Came back for the second chance tournament in November, but I didn't recognize him because we didn't have our first face-to-face zoom call until early December.

I just learned this yesterday during our HOA hearing when he turned off his camera to go to the bathroom and the image he has is him with Ken. We ended up talking about it at length while we were waiting for the judge.

He's a great lawyer in the first place, but now I'm even happier we picked this firm.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Island Nation posted:

With LL100 wrapping up Monday, would it be plausible to take the data of known Jeopardy contestants in either the TOC or JIT & Learned League and compare them against one another (or goons)?

Why wait!

This season, ChanB2 has had 112 correct answers so far, MeyerT has 117, RautY has 125.

Of the semifinalists, SibleyD has 100, BarinholtzI has 65, WatsonJ4 has 120.

I have 65 :).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

you're arguing that "best of seven is just what you call any competition where seven is the maximum number of games, regardless of number of participants or games required to win"

I mean, what else could the "of seven" part of the phrase possibly mean?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why wait!

This season, ChanB2 has had 112 correct answers so far, MeyerT has 117, RautY has 125.

Of the semifinalists, SibleyD has 100, BarinholtzI has 65, WatsonJ4 has 120.

I have 65 :).

I have 87 and Rundle B waiting for me (I'm winning my R Rundle and can't be lower than 2nd).

I was thinking in terms of where everyone finishes at the end on Mon/Tue but if anyone wants to start bragging, have at it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CPColin posted:

it's how many games you have to win the "best of" (i.e. more than anyone else) to win the set

Pinterest Mom posted:

Really feels like "true daily double" breaks the game quite a bit, at least for good players. Hercules and Africa??

yeah it makes for really exciting TV moments but players have figured out that high-variance events that go your way 90%+ are good

80 TCA as of today btw, this season hasn't really landed well for me

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oh so weird Jeopardy story: Turns out our lawyer was on 3 episodes. He won Ken's last game during the initial guest host debacle, then lost on Mayim's first game ever. Came back for the second chance tournament in November, but I didn't recognize him because we didn't have our first face-to-face zoom call until early December.

I just learned this yesterday during our HOA hearing when he turned off his camera to go to the bathroom and the image he has is him with Ken. We ended up talking about it at length while we were waiting for the judge.

He's a great lawyer in the first place, but now I'm even happier we picked this firm.

I like to think your lawyer started the first game with Mayim and was like “omg she’s so awful I’m going to just cash in and lose right here.”

At least he didn’t have to do one of the Dr Oz episodes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

I like to think your lawyer started the first game with Mayim and was like “omg she’s so awful I’m going to just cash in and lose right here.”

At least he didn’t have to do one of the Dr Oz episodes.

He of all people is probably best qualified to talk about how lovely a host she was....and he did.

There are probably only a handful of contestants who can say they've played games with both hosts. I've talked to two of them now and both vehemently hate Mayim and love Ken. Specifically my lawyer went on about how great Ken is off camera working the audience and putting the contestants at ease. Apparently Mayim was very self-centered off camera, she definitely wasn't offering tips to struggling contestants or answering audience questions. Maybe that changed later in her hosting tenure, both the guys I spoke to were on during the chaos era, but I doubt it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CPColin posted:

Lets say one contestant on Jeopardy won 3 games straight. That ends the competition. However without that stoppage it's possible another contestant could win the next 4 games making them the winner of a "best of seven" competition. The fact it's stopped early at 3 wins makes it NOT a best of 7 competition but a first to 3 competition.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

1glitch0 posted:

Lets say one contestant on Jeopardy won 3 games straight. That ends the competition. However without that stoppage it's possible another contestant could win the next 4 games making them the winner of a "best of seven" competition. The fact it's stopped early at 3 wins makes it NOT a best of 7 competition but a first to 3 competition.

They're synonyms in this situation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

1glitch0 posted:

If play were to continue after Player A wins three, then Player B could win three and so could Player C. That tournament would be neither "first to three" nor "best of seven". As soon as you say "without that stoppage", you're talking about a different tournament format than this one.

This tournament is "first to three" because the first player to win three games takes it AND "best of seven" because the player who performs best within the maximum of seven games takes it. The phrases imply each other and each is sufficient to describe the tournament format.

FrumpleOrz posted:

They're synonyms in this situation.

:hmmyes:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

CPColin posted:

If play were to continue after Player A wins three, then Player B could win three and so could Player C. That tournament would be neither "first to three" nor "best of seven". As soon as you say "without that stoppage", you're talking about a different tournament format than this one.

This tournament is "first to three" because the first player to win three games takes it AND "best of seven" because the player who performs best within the maximum of seven games takes it. The phrases imply each other and each is sufficient to describe the tournament format.

But if a maximum of seven games were played the person who won 4 games would win while they would not win if it was cut off at first to 3.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

1glitch0 posted:

But if a maximum of seven games were played the person who won 4 games would win while they would not win if it was cut off at first to 3.

I think this is where you all are getting hung up on this. If there's a maximum of seven games in a three-player tournament, it must end when a player wins three games. If there's a three-player tournament where the first player to win three games wins the tournament, it must have a maximum of seven games.

There's no room to change one way to phrase it without the other way of phrasing it also changing. Both phrases imply and require each other.

Note also other fun conclusions you can draw, like how it's impossible to have a maximum of five or six games in a three-player tournament. (Try it!)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPColin posted:

There's no room to change one way to phrase it without the other way of phrasing it also changing. Both phrases imply and require each other.

How so? Saying "first to three" is all that needs to be said. "Best of 7" is extraneous and confusing.

"Best of X" means you play that many games and the player with the most wins is the winner. In a 2-player series, that means you stop when someone wins 4 because it's an insurmountable lead. In this tourney they could stop even though playing out the rest could mean someone else wins. The phrase doesn't get used in 3+ player scenarios because it's unintuitive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

wa27 posted:

In this tourney they could stop even though playing out the rest could mean someone else wins.

The scenario you're picturing, where Player A wins three games and Player B wins four games, collapses immediately when you ask yourself what happens if Player A wins three, Player B wins three, and Player C wins game seven. Now what? The maximum number of games was seven, but nobody came out the clear winner.

You're entirely fine saying that you don't find "best of seven" intuitive. But both phrases are entirely accurate, because both phrases are describing the exact same tournament format, because the phrases have to match each other or you get contradictions like above.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

thirty years ago, i experienced the internet for the first time as an elementary school child. my father was a pre-eternal september guy who was convinced that this crazy world wide web gizmo was going to change the world. i didn't really grasp it at the time and only experienced it over his shoulder for a few years, but by the late 90s i was equally addicted to the stupid beep beep boop box that turned the house phone off. in 1997 i was posting on the nintendo dot com loud house message board, an unmoderated hellscape that probably hosed me up more than every shock site/video combined (aren't we glad THAT'S mostly over???)

in one way or another, i've interacted with millions of other net-users in the ensuing decades.

there is something so pure, so raw--such an unadulterated shot of nostalgia about seeing people have such an intensely stupid debate about the meaning of made-up phrases with whatever meaning is convenient for the argument at the time.

the stakes are absolutely nil. no one cares. there are more pressing issues in nearly every facet of everyone's life. and yet, i can't turn away. please continue. you are all one well-crafted post from changing everyone else's mind and being hailed as the savior of the jeopardy thread. ken can't wait to hand over the mic to whoever comes out of this looking smartest. you're all brilliant and we need you to :justpost:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is it safe to do a full body workout every other day? Because if it is I can't wait to do four full body workouts every single week.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

you're all brilliant and we need you to :justpost:

ur ded at gooncon

Edit: I think I'm out of ways to explain it anyway. If people aren't going to agree with me by this point, they never will (and I'll see them next year).

CPColin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 17, 2024

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CPColin posted:

ur ded at gooncon

Edit: I think I'm out of ways to explain it anyway. If people aren't going to agree with me by this point, they never will (and I'll see them next year).

the finals of the invitational is a first-to-two so uh see you in two weeks

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Okay I'll set my alarm

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He of all people is probably best qualified to talk about how lovely a host she was....and he did.

There are probably only a handful of contestants who can say they've played games with both hosts. I've talked to two of them now and both vehemently hate Mayim and love Ken. Specifically my lawyer went on about how great Ken is off camera working the audience and putting the contestants at ease. Apparently Mayim was very self-centered off camera, she definitely wasn't offering tips to struggling contestants or answering audience questions. Maybe that changed later in her hosting tenure, both the guys I spoke to were on during the chaos era, but I doubt it.

It'd be interesting to pick Matt's brain on this since he's played games with 7 hosts (Robin, LaVar, David, Joe, Mike, Mayim, Ken). Granted, 4 (or 5) were in the chaos era

Also, with Ken entrenched as the host and Buzzy as the emergency backup, we shouldn't have to deal with this ever again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Island Nation posted:

It'd be interesting to pick Matt's brain on this since he's played games with 7 hosts (Robin, LaVar, David, Joe, Mike, Mayim, Ken). Granted, 4 (or 5) were in the chaos era

Also, with Ken entrenched as the host and Buzzy as the emergency backup, we shouldn't have to deal with this ever again.

I wonder who he would say is the best of seven hosts.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I wonder who he would say is the best of seven hosts.

Maybe he could name his top three and then stop?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

CPColin posted:

lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CPColin posted:

Yeah, that's what she said :confused:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, that's what she said :confused:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Today, Ken neither says "best of seven" nor "first to three".

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 18, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Learned League 100 has ended. Thanks to Pinterest Mom for finding the profiles

Ben finished 2nd in his A Rundle (Harbor)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?69166

Troy won his A Rundle (Nebula), his 3rd in a Row

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?13493

Yogesh finished 2nd in his A Rundle (Typhoon)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?23085

In known semifinalists:

David won his A Rundle (Sahara)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?36672

Ike finished 19th in Rundle D Pacific Div 2. He can still brag about working with Mel Brooks.

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?4437

Surprising, Jared finished last in his A Rundle (Delta). The TCA doesn't match up though, is this a different person?

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?52390

Also, some moron won his rookie rundle but let's have some better goons (which are all of them) post about how they did.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I missed promotion into A by literally one question. My wife got promoted to A right above me, though she benefited from a very critically-times forfeit victory, and doesn't feel like it's earned. I say if you're close enough to get promoted as a result of a single convenient forfeit, you've earned it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just looked at my stats and I've only been doing LL for 4 seasons so far but I am eerily consistent in my TCA. I won my fewest matches so far this season though, placed 11th in my rundle which isn't too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ken does not say "best of seven" or "first to three" today.

MockingQuantum posted:

I just looked at my stats and I've only been doing LL for 4 seasons so far but I am eerily consistent in my TCA. I won my fewest matches so far this season though, placed 11th in my rundle which isn't too bad

To be clear also you are second in your rundle in TCA with 118.