Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Today's Final was terribly written. 200 years after 1774 would be 1974. Star Trek had been off the air for five years in 1974.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ, Cynthia Nixon was intolerable on Celebrity Jeopardy tonight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Still happy, just gonna enjoy the W. Although I've only been half watching Jeopardy these last couple of months. These tournaments just aren't grabbing me.

I still watch every day, but I agree that these tournaments aren't grabbing me at all. They've certainly taped everything through the rest of the year (earlier this week, there was a chyron saying that the episode had been taped in early October; the answer to the question was Matthew Perry), so I'm hoping they wrap up soon and we get to Season 40 episodes proper.

In any event, every now and again I chuckle at the thought of Yogesh sitting at home and alternating between pouting and fuming that he wasn't invited to any of these tourneys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Can we maybe not be doing weird speculation about why Bialik was fired? I'm perfectly fine with taking Sony at their word, that they feel it's better to have one host on the syndicated program instead of goofy alternating hosts throughout season 40. It makes perfect sense to want to have one consistent face of the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

There are no new contestants until April of next year, because of all the tournaments.

Noooo!

quote:

Yogesh got an automatic invitation to the Tournament of Champions either last week or two weeks ago. He's not in any of them because he's bypassing them entirely.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

Did he get 5 wins?

According to this, he only won three.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

That's what I thought. Thought you needed 5 to be in ToC.

I'm guessing there's now some squishiness with that rule after they expanded the ToC to 21 contestants last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

Yogesh should be automatically invited to every tournament just so people can beat his rear end at the buzzer

And so we can watch him get progressively more pouty.

Also, per TV Line, both Bialik and Jennings were pulling down $4 million a year, each, for their Jeopardy jobs, though Jennings is expected to get a raise now that he's the sole host of the syndicated edition. Not bad for a show that shoots, what, fifty days a year (outside of the primetime specials, which as I understand it also shoot in a very compressed timeframe)?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bucksmash posted:

Speaking of money, it's been 22 years since the Jeopardy round went from 100-500 to 200-1000 and similar for Double Jeopardy. Anyone think we'll see another increase soon, or is it too risky for the show since super champs show up like Ken or James or Amy who can potentially walk away with six figures in a single game?

I think what's more likely is that they'll increase the totals for 2nd / 3rd place to something like $4,000 / $2,000, just because contestants have to travel to and from LA on their own dime and that ain't cheap.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

From what I remember from the Inside Jeopardy podcast they have increased the values in regular play.

3rd place gets $2,000
2nd place gets $3,000
1st keeps the money and comes back.

They have not. Third place still gets $1,000 and second place gets $2,000.

Even $2,000 is rough. I remember back in 2006, my ex-wife and I flew out to the area from Dubuque, Iowa, for a friend's wedding in the area. I believe our hotel was in Torrance, and the actual wedding was at some ritzy spot 40 minutes away and the reception was in downtown LA. We minimized expenses as much as we could, but between airfare, transportation and food, those three days and two nights had me pulling an advance from my company because Jesus tap-dancing-Christ, Los Angeles is expensive.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 19, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

From my understanding the unions told people covered by the network contracts like Ken (daytime, soaps, game shows are on different contracts than the movie studios) to keep working because walking off in solidarity undermines the whole process by not fulfilling the union’s existing agreements. People getting mad at him for scabbing are incorrect, he did exactly what they told him to.

Correct. Bialik walked and hit the strike lines because she is a member of the WGA. But Jennings is not a WGA member and he wasn't a scab.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Dear God they still have *another* tournament left

[Tom Servo voice] ÀAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Non-tournament play doesn't resume until late March or early April, I believe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

welcome posted:

I don't want to see any of these people again, give new contestants a chance.

This is, mercifully, the last tournament before regular play resumes in April.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Impressively terrible play today, holy moly. Not the best return to standard, non-tournament, play.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And the lineup for Jeopardy Masters is...

- James Holzhauer
- Matt Amodio
- Mattea Roach
- Yogesh Raut
- Victoria Groce
- ~Mystery Wild Card contestant to be announced on April 12~

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Who are we thinking as the wild card? Brad? Buzzy? The return of Watson?

Ken Jennings as the surprise final contestant, Buzzy steps in to host Jeopardy Masters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PSXer posted:

Apparently the mystery contestant they announced for the Masters today is... Amy? That's certainly more boring than some of the suggestions people made. :(

So four of the six contestants are repeats from 2023?

That's ... boring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Amy who just lost two days ago? What the gently caress is even the point of these tournaments if they're just gonna constantly ram the same people down our throats regardless of who wins. Enough already.

Why the gently caress do we need to see Holzhauer again, for Christ's sake? That's what really irks me. He already won last year's Jeopardy Masters tournament.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

I can see James if he won last year's and is defending his title or whatever. Amy already had two chances to get in via other tournaments and didn't.

I've mentioned this before, but I have friends who went to high school with James (he and I are literally a week apart from each other in our 1984 birthdates) and he was just as much of a cock in the math club back then as he is now and I'm just sick of him and his $2 million rear end continuing to show up to win more money on Jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spokes posted:

I’m a James fan, I think he plays at a level unmatched by anyone besides Ken and maybe Victoria (way too soon to say.) from that standpoint I’m happy to see Amy because she’s very good and she might challenge James, but I do think it’s weird that she was the invite after losing the last Masters and the JIT—two events that by design populate Masters. Maybe they were banking on Brad and he bailed and they had to scramble, idk. Give Mike Richards the sixth spot or something. I’ll watch whatever, my opinion shouldn’t matter. Go Victoria.

I agree that James had a strategy that worked well for him (hunting for Daily Doubles early while also going for max-value clues), and he had an exceptional buzzer game ... but it was so, so delicious to see Ken basically say, "Sit down before you fall down, son," in dominating him in the GOAT Tournament a few years back.