Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

zakharov posted:

:siren: Season 32 starts tonight! :siren:

And a shiny new https://www.jeopardy.com too!

I may or may not have left that website on with the ongoing final jeopardy clues.

It reminds me of this old screen saver I once had in the early 2000s.

My favorite right now it's the J6! because you get to see the clues that were dropped from the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Very exited for the Jeopardy GOAT, I'm going Brad in Three, because i haven't seen him lose a tournament.

But, considering the mainstream attention for this game, I'm very excited and impressed.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I love the fact it's a tournament game played back to back, not since only connect have I felt stupid watching a game show, but I really hope the idiot game show host interferes with the smart game show event.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I'm glad they are doing video packages for the first three days, with each day being a different contestant, Ken's was great, almost like a morale booster and I wonder if it will hold true for Brad and James.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

CPColin posted:

Pretty rude of James to call Alex a ghost before he's even dead, imo

the pat sajak cross out was a good comedy riff, considering how low scoring the second half was

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

funny enough i scored my all time highest on a J6 binge (41/60) and completely tanked the jeopardy test.

this is a world of contrasts, and while i don't think i'll ever be a contestant on jeopardy, i still enjoy watching it.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Its wild hearing "For $100" in 2022 for a game of Jeopardy.

But I agree - if it's "tournament play" for the tournament, they should've just done 2 games with combined scores advancing in the next round.

They've done the "two games" format in GOAT and College Championship, so it should be no big deal. And the only thing you lose is some pointless awkward "Round 2 Halfway Point Banter" and "Round 3 Awkward Banter Some More"

With a "Triple Jeopardy Round" I will say - it would make sense for Mayim to say the controversial "Single Jeopardy" because in her mind its Single/Double/Triple/Final

Where as I think mainline game - just leaving it out as Jeopardy/Double Jeopardy makes sense, only because it's wordplay.

But they have done "Power Players Week" and other specials before, I understand wanting to "Sportify The Game" but it's really as simple as leaving the game as-is, and rooting for the returning champion, based on their stats.

That being said - what's the thoughts about the "run the category" bonus? It was apparently such a "big news" that it was on primetime news, even though it was just a "i'm thinking about" on the podcast.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

It's going to go back to the classroom jeopardy games where points are 1-5 then 2-10 because that means big risks in finals

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

https://youtu.be/n8NrMKd1OHo

One of the most amazing episodes, even though it's only an exhibition. Kinda wish it was a charity episode where the proceeds went to the Trebek Foundation, but I love the banter of Ken, Matt, Matea and Amy!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I'm happy to see an Andrew and Amy rematch in the final, with "Professor Steve Martin" as the unknown factor, because he is undefeated.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

the fact there are two tournaments going on at the same time - I really like the "best of 7" then immediately back to the ongoing game. But I still think the tournament still goes a little too long for what used to be 10 games. The 2-Day Accumulation is only for Second Chance, and I think that's fantastic.

The Celebrity Jeopardy Triple Jeopardy is still a little sluggish, but I don't know if that's just the show pausing for "banter" or Mayim's hosting style.

I feel it needs to be more of a "season finale" instead of a midpoint, but it made for more dramatic moments, especially in final Jeopardy compared to a runaway game in a 2-day total.

I wonder if the show is good as it is, or does it need all these changes?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

That would be a literal throwback to the original introduction of "now entering the studio are today's players"

Have any of you been listening to the Inside Jeopardy podcast? I really love having Buzzy on talking about wanting the "beep boops" back

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I like Cris, but they are at the "we got nothing left in the banter" so it's the usual "did you ever think you'll get this far?" and "what are you going to do with all this money?" Questions.

I think Ken should just ask weird ice breaker questions at this point like "do you have any special routines on your birthday?" or "what's your favorite children's book growing up?"

I know it's not much, but it would be interesting to see how far we go until "your go to Chinese Takeout order" and "what podcasts you listen to"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hey man, you try coming up with 20+ TV-friendly anecdotes that take less than 10 seconds to tell. I'd be in pretty serious trouble after, like, day 5

I think they need to take a cue from Only Connect and just have the most inane anecdotes.

"Let's meet today's players...

Matt Amodio, a computer science graduate who once threw a baseball at a minor league baseball game.

Amy Schneider, a writer who has a tattoo from The Wizard of Oz that we aren't cleared to show.

And the returning champion, Cris Pannullo, a customer success operations manager who dislikes olives, but tries them at parties.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I can't believe I saw the final jeopardy category tonight and actually guessed before the clue came up.

Sometimes I like to play jeopardy blind guesser on Twitter, with the fans.

And best of luck to friend of the TVIV, Poque!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Tough luck on the true daily doubles, Poque!

But I did laugh at the "is that your lucky number?" "Not anymore!" At the end.

It's a tough game, and you did very well!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Hooray, Sway Ray Pay Day... May Bay?

K.

Also the swaying isn't anything, I can't even stand in place for long periods of time so at least it's a swivel back and forth like a dance, instead of what typically happens - an award contestant puts the device above the podium and keeps rapidly pressing even though they were locked out.

Anything to calm contestants down and let them do well!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Best of luck Spokes!

And remember - the only way to win is to outrun your competition, and never look back!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

current champ is on a tear

they keep puttin a bunch of clowns up against him though. it's like these people haven't had the rules explained to them. oh wait you LOSE money if you answer wrongly?? No way!

Losing money for incorrect responses? That sounds like quite the Jeopardy!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Sometimes it's best to just take the prize money and shut up.

Did he spend twenty minutes trying to convince Ken and the judges that "Treasure Bonds" "were first sold in 1908, at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today"

And also, most quiz leagues and quiz anything are very light hearted, so it just sounds like a guy who passed a jeopardy test, probably was in the holding pool for a couple years because "I beat James Holzhauer at TCONA" isn't as much of a flex or interesting anecdote as "one of my personsal items is in the Smithsonian" or "my cat is named after a doctor who character"

And he's now on scorched earth, I just pray this isn't the start of some sort of Batman-style Rogue Origin story.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I don't think he's going to be invited to one of Buzzy's trivia nights.

The secret to jeopardy is the wagering and buzzer speed, the second the light turns on, you gotta react fast.

And those that can figure out the exact last syllable of Mayim or Ken of their reading speed tend to do well.

If you wanted "how good are you at trivia where everybody gets the same question and you fill it in", the closest would be The Big Fat Quiz and even then, they'll be upset it's not "played seriously"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Why isn't Yamesh a Chaser yet?

That's the TRUE discourse!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It makes me doubly happy knowing how much it must be irking Yogesh.

Troy reminds me of Buzzy so much (maybe the music background?) and the "happy to be there" attitude with the game.

Plus, he hasn't yet made one of his anecdotes "I played trivia against James Holzhauer and won".

He, genuinely seems like a normal, cool guy.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Shout Outs to Ben on Wheel of Fortune, the most goon contestant in a while, who collects video games, goes to pro wrestling events, and insists that Jogging is NOT "fun and games"

just a real breath of fresh air from the usual "well pat I have an (adjective) spouse and # (adjective) kids"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

At least jeopardy, we already know the name location and occupation by Inside Jeopardy Guitarist Johnny Gilbert so everything else is just "hey, it says here in college you used to have a Bizarre Job to make money?"

And then you find out somebody worked as a translator for anime or something.

There's nothing you could really do with "Televisedinsanity from Something Awful Forums, tell us about yourself"

Uh.... I like... food?

"That's great, pick up those signaling devices for the $2,000 toss up, WHAT ARE YOU DOING is the category"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Celebrity Jeopardy was actually one of the best episodes of the season. Mayim was still slightly awkward in the interviews, but I think this was what was originally envisioned with the three rounds room for banter concept.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

They are trying to prop her with the intros and the occasional "funny quip" ("yes, and they are delicious!)

I think the problem is mostly Mayim isn't one to improvise and that's her weakspot, especially in the get to know the contestants ("yes, thank you for that")
And I just chalk it to her demeaner.

Mayim is playing the role of host, not actually hosting.

But because of her celebrity and possible nodes ("she's a smart woman who was on a sitcom, so she must be funny!") is proof maybe the studios/Hollywood isn't always the best at casting the next host of a long running quiz show, but they love celebrity + "what are they known for?"

I don't really think jeopardy is the right fit for her, but I do think if there was something that could best present her neuroscience background better, such as Brain Games, It would be a perfect fit.

But I'm sitting out of this high school tournament, I think it's a swing and a miss and reminds me too much of when Wheel of Fortune does a gimmick week like "Food Lovers"/"Shopping Spree"/"Star Wars Week"/"WWE Week".

I'm more happy if it's seldom or if it's just a week long special, just classic TOC qualify + 2 day combined point affair for Thurs/Friday.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

They are trying to prop her with the intros and the occasional "funny quip" ("yes, and they are delicious!)

I think the problem is mostly Mayim isn't one to improvise and that's her weakspot, especially in the get to know the contestants ("yes, thank you for that")
And I just chalk it to her demeaner.

Mayim is playing the role of host, not actually hosting.

But because of her celebrity and possible nodes ("she's a smart woman who was on a sitcom, so she must be funny!") is proof maybe the studios/Hollywood isn't always the best at casting the next host of a long running quiz show, but they love celebrity + "what are they known for?"

I don't really think jeopardy is the right fit for her, but I do think if there was something that could best present her neuroscience background better, such as Brain Games, It would be a perfect fit.

But I'm sitting out of this high school tournament, I think it's a swing and a miss and reminds me too much of when Wheel of Fortune does a gimmick week like "Food Lovers"/"Shopping Spree"/"Star Wars Week"/"WWE Week".

I'm more happy if it's seldom or if it's just a week long special, just classic TOC qualify + 2 day combined point affair for Thurs/Friday.

E:

PSXer posted:

Yes, I'd like to bet all of the $4,600 I have after picking the daily double in the 6th clue of the game:

A TRUE DAILY DOUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"... okay, this will take you to $9,200 if you're correct."

the "go for the bottom and work your way up to scoop the DD early" is just boring.

I recently watched the new German version of Jeopardy and what they do is at the halfway point in the jeopardy round, they double the remaining values. That would actually give a reason to keep the highest values on later so they are worth more.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Dienes posted:

Can we trade Mayim for Fry?

That's right, The Rover's Return Inn from Coronation Street.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

... that's right, call me cat!

E: sorry this didn't get added

Island Nation posted:

What is the likelihood that Ken is kicked off hosting duties if Call Me Kat is canceled? It has to be less than 100% but between Paramount and Sony, who knows?

I think it's a juggle internally, the jeopardy die-hards wanting the branding to be it's quiz and community, would absolutely bat for Ken, but Hollywood wanting "celebrity for pull" will throw Ken under the bus if they think it'll make a million extra viewers.

If it was up to me, and I'm just a dork online like everybody else - Ken should just get the proper Jeopardy, and then for any gimmicks, get a special host.

Mayim can take Celebrity Jeopardy, you get Buzzy for College Tournament, bring back Dan Patrick for a "Sports Jeopardy" 2 week tournament. And find your "Pop Culture Jeopardy" host in the process.

Problem is, marketing the show with multiple hosts is a snag on the show. So it's easier to just have Mayim and Ken and have them switch it all about.

We don't get "Doctor Mayim", which was I believe the side most people really wanted to see.

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 20, 2023

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Maybe they were just a big fan of that "who made Huckabee" feud with Colbert, Conan and Jon Stewart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfGh_4IFQ4

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Brian is a great dude, friend of the guy for years, he's always been the one to take the test and audition and waiting to hear back.

I'm glad he not only got selected, but became champ. It's a win in the game show fandom. I think the Hitler comparison is lazy, right up there with "Pringles guy" - I like to think he was going for a Tony Schiavone from 80s world championship wrestling days.

He was a real throwback to the 80s style contestant giving that "I'm good" and reacting to what's going on.

I'm just glad there was a personality, and I can't wait to see him in Second Chance tournament and probably in three years on The Chase.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

That's right, the situation comedy, Call Me Kat.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

She's going to speedrun Trebek's career in reverse. First Jeopardy, then Classic Concentration, and in a few years she'll be posting Wizard of Odds.

I hope those pitfall checks clear.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

From what I remember from the Inside Jeopardy podcast they have increased the values in regular play.

3rd place gets $2,000
2nd place gets $3,000
1st keeps the money and comes back.

The only reason we forgot was a good chunk of this season was the neverending tournament of tournaments.

I don't think they'll increase the values on the board anytime soon, but only because of budget of television being reduced almost across the board.

What's also wild is the values on Stephen Fry's version of jeopardy in the UK and Australia

£25/50/75/100/150 (for two rounds)
£50/100/150/200/300
Final.

And

$50/100/150/200/300
$100/200/300/400/600

But then again, I'm going to wait and see with those two versions.

I'm happy Ken is the sole host, I do wish Mayim success on another Sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPM3uWhIA3o

Also happy that good friend of mine Brian is going to the ToC.

I think it's still a bit sad guy with Pringle Guy hair and mustache gets compared to one of the worst people on earth. But, I'm hoping this is a good redemption story for him.

Jeopardy is still such a delightful show

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

For shooting his mouth off? When did that happen? It never happened.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100003496539869&story_fbid=5947355325390960

wil from tabletop posted:

This is a VERY small town, Ken Jennings, and we will all remember this. Your privilege may protect you right now, but we will *never* forget. #WGAStrong
EDIT TO ADD: This is getting more attention than expected or wanted, and dont want this to be about me being disappointed by a choice Ken Jennings made. want attention and energy focused on supporting the writers who are fighting for their professional existence, opposed by billionaires who are keen to ruin my entire industry.
offer one example of how outrageous the AMPTP's position is: David Zaslav is the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery. Last year, he was paid abouta quarter of a BILLION dollars. That's one man who is already a billionaire.
Quoting Adam Conover, "That's about the same level as what 10,000 writers are asking him to pay all of us collectively."
The needs of the many outweigh the greed of the few, or the one, y'all.

And that isn't even the worst of it. I haven't gotten into the issues of what are called mini rooms, and how we will all deal with the emergence of Al. It's loving terrible.
The WGA is not being unreasonable. stand with my fellow union members, and urge you to do the same. EDITED AGAIN ON 22 MAY:
The National Enquirer asked for a comment: To Whom It May Concern: The National Enquirer is preparing to publish a story reporting Wil Wheaton has publicly threatened Jeopardy host Ken Jennings for crossing the writer's picket line.
The story quotes Mr. Wheaton's Facebook message which stated, "This is a VERY small town, Ken Jennings, and we will all remember this." It also points out that Mr. Wheaton is close friends with Mr. Jennings' competition for permanent hosting duties on Jeopardy Mayim Bialik.

I responded:
Your clumsy efforts to misrepresent me, to mislead your readers, to distract from the issues underlying the strike, have not gone unnoticed. But since you asked, let me be clear: I didn't threaten anybody. That's laughable. I've been threatened. It sounds like, "be careful on your way home tonight." It doesn't sound like "I will remember that you betrayed us when it was convenient, and other people will, too." support organized labor without exception and will for my fellow union members. Hollywood is a notoriously dishonest industry that runs on relationships and trust. We tell stories and make stuff up for a living! We need to know who we can trust and who we can't; who stands with us, and who will sell us out. It's not a threat; it's a fact.

You would do well to inform your readers that regulatory capture, the monopolization of entertainment companies, and the incomprehensible greed of a handful of billionaires threaten my entire industry and countless peoplel love. WGA (and possibly my union, SAG-AFTRA) members are fighting for our careers, our families, our healthcare and the future of our industry. The billionaires across the table are fighting for bigger yachts. I'm deeply disappointed with Ken. I think he's a great host, an obviously sensational player, and the couple times I've met him, I've enjoyed our conversations. The fact is, he has an enormously high profile, and his choices affect the writers of his show and the entire WGA in a meaningful way that people pay attention to. He is certainly more influential, and can have a more direct impact, than me. I hoped he would use that privilege to put the needs of the many ahead of the greed of the few. He didn't, and speaking only for myself, I will remember that. That isn't a threat; it's keeping a promise to my fellow workers, and honoring the sacrifices of all who came and fought before us.

I think this is what was referenced, but, television rules are weird and if we can go from Claire's article

Claire McNear posted:

Sources close to the show say this stand was not exactly what it seemed. Jeopardy! and other game shows are guided by a distinct set of union provisions known as the Network Television Code, meaning that while Jeopardy!’s writers are members of the WGA and thus were part of the strike—many were prominent figures on picket lines in Los Angeles and New York—the rest of the staff and crew were not. SAG-AFTRA—which began its own strike in July and of which Bialik and Jennings are both members—explicitly advises non-striking members to continue to work per the terms of their contracts; to do otherwise can weaken the union’s negotiating power because it indicates that members might not follow the letter of the contract.

Is the season of neverending tournaments over yet?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Hey, Stephen Fry is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DnCkEwJOdY

Also here's wheel, but that's for the game show mega thread .

https://youtu.be/V_Yfp2QdJHo?si=RajBOALr4fbl7Z95

E: it premiered tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSKeJYOmTw

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2024

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

The Floor has legitimately made me more concerned about society than anything. For anyone who hasn’t seen it, I cannot emphasize enough that this would be Idiocracy’s game show. The concept is they show you a photo and you have to identify it. The example photos are like rubber bands, dice, a ladybug, nails, string, cars, a wrench. These are actual examples. There are zero catches, you’re not having to dodge fireballs or hula-hoop or anything at the same time. You just have to able to see a clear photo of a strawberry and say “strawberry.”

(Photo of Strawberry)

"...pass"

(STRAWBERRY in Graphic as 3 seconds go down)

(photo of Tangerine)

"... Orange? Pass."

(TANGERINE in graphic as 3 more seconds go down)

(photo of Kumquat)

"... Kumquat?"

ROB LOWE: (Mouths to camera) "Wow!"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

davecrazy posted:

It’s late in the game, you can make a big DD wager that gets you in striking distance of the leader only moments away from final Jeopardy.

“I’ll wager 2500”

I almost threw my remote.

Most jeopardy champions in interviews say the two things really needed are buzzer skill and knowledge of wagering, the clues come second.

Unless you're sure you don't know the category, and want to be an Alex Jacob, go big. Especially when nobody else will answer it.

It's right up there with when wheel of fortune contestants solve and take the fast $1,000 instead of spinning to call a double or triple wheel value on the remaining part of the most. CHE-ING -U--LE GU-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why would you ring in on that last clue. It amazes me how people this dumb get on this show.

All I could guess, they wanted to get the lock, before final.

It's better to take a guess on the level 1 simple question than risk it on final, and then a tie breaker.