Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Anne Whateley posted:

The same person/PR office didn’t do them because the background and punctuation are different. Obviously they’re trying to come off the same, and afaict from Mayim’s blurry one, the font is the same. The blue/white is obvious because of Jeopardy but idk if that sans-serif is part of their online branding.*

Along with the sassiness of Jeopardy’s first sentence, I’m getting the vibe that they were supposed to do a coordinated professional announcement, Mayim blew it up early, and Jeopardy is trying to pretend it was arranged while being lowkey pissy. This is total headcanon and I have no actual idea, though

*e: I just looked it up and their website is incoherently using like 4 sans-serifs, but that’s among them. I don’t care about sanses so I don’t recognize if it’s a somewhat common Mac font or something.

That's my read as well. I was not expecting an announcement from them until Monday, but the fact that they put it out so late on a Friday (8:17pm eastern is the timestamp I see on the official fb page) really suggests she went off book and preempted them. That first sentence really reads like the petty corporate office politics crap I deal with at work all day, where they want to call her out without actually calling her out.

I guess if she pulled a move like that and they're pissy about it that's good news for us that they won't bring her back. If she's acting unprofessionally, that does make me wonder if part of the reason is her anti-Palestine poo poo and in the coming days we'll see her venting about it and calling Sony anti-Semitic for letting her go or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

Yogesh got an automatic invitation to the Tournament of Champions either last week or two weeks ago. He's not in any of them because he's bypassing them entirely.

I thought he said Jeopardy wasn't real trivia and was a waste of his time or some poo poo :smuggo:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

I think what's more likely is that they'll increase the totals for 2nd / 3rd place to something like $4,000 / $2,000, just because contestants have to travel to and from LA on their own dime and that ain't cheap.

Yeah the winnings for 1st place coming in around 20k is pretty reasonable, but $1000 for 3rd when you had to shell out for an airline ticket and hotel just isn't cutting it.

Very happy with the outcome of tonight's final, I like that guy. I'd have been ok with right podium, too, but I really disliked middle dude both in his original run and now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

What's also wild is the values on Stephen Fry's version of jeopardy in the UK and Australia

£25/50/75/100/150 (for two rounds)
£50/100/150/200/300
Final.

And

$50/100/150/200/300
$100/200/300/400/600

All I can think of is Patton Oswalt's bit about British game shows compared to American ones.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Island Nation posted:

As for the US version. Safe to say the day 2 match may be a bit anticlimactic

Don't care, I was so happy to see left podium guy eat it on that DD and Long put it away so thoroughly.

I had literally said to my wife at the break because Long got back to exactly $0, "Imagine how pissed off someone would be if you effectively just sat out round one just to crush them so hard in round 2 nothing they did mattered." This wasn't quite that, but close enough.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Anyone in here looking for a LearnedLeague referral? I have two ONE left for this season and invites close in a couple days, so may as well use em up.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 18, 2024

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place but does anyone know what the lowest score you can get on the Anytime Test and still be a contestant?

I took it this weekend and pretty sure I got an 86% (43/50).

Edit: However, there may have been two questions I didn't hit "enter" in time so it could be 82% (41/50)

There is no actual disclosure of the threshold, but people have generally agreed 35/50 is the number. If you're confident you got over 40, you're probably fine.

Don't worry if you didn't hit enter, it auto-submits whatever you have entered when you run out of time. There's also probably some wiggle room if you're missing that last couple characters as long as it's abundantly clear you had the correct response but ran out of time while typing it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It really just started, we had so much second chance stuff first, but since that tournament fed into this one it feels like it's all one continuous thing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Dear God they still have *another* tournament left

[Tom Servo voice] ÀAAAAAAAAAAAH!

At least TOC is different from the others with the difficulty ramp-up. I'm looking forward to that one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

davecrazy posted:

It’s late in the game, you can make a big DD wager that gets you in striking distance of the leader only moments away from final Jeopardy.

“I’ll wager 2500”

I almost threw my remote.

:same:

People constantly playing to not lose instead of playing to win, especially in a tournament.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
As long as Yogesh loses his next round I'm happy, the loving hypocrite.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's perfect, because he has no one to blame but himself for that....which I hope, being game 1, is really going to tilt him going into the next games.

He's definitely struggling on the buzzer, that game was ONLY that close because of the missed daily double and a few big dollar clue incorrect responses.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

enough with asides yogesh!!

The "bring it" one felt like he was really trying to underscore his disdain for Jeopardy in-jokes. "Am I doing this right? Bring it?" Like it had the same feel as people who say "sportsball" every Super Bowl just to assure you how much they look down on it.

I lost it at Ken saying "a VERY good Jeopardy score!" and Yogesh's flat rage face since it was a runaway. Stay mad, loser.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Jokymi posted:

Only change I've ever wanted: display the category on screen alongside the clue.

It's probably about time to up the prize amount for second and third place, too.

Also on clues that are like finding a word hidden in the clue or unscrambling a word, just keep showing us the clue either in the corner or like in final. We get to see it for about 5 seconds, which is really awkward when it's a tough one and the contestants don't just immediately ring in. Same goes for images.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

1glitch0 posted:

I can't believe they're calling it best of 7 again when it isn't best of 7.

Ken specifically called it "first to three" last night, which is more accurate.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh so weird Jeopardy story: Turns out our lawyer was on 3 episodes. He won Ken's last game during the initial guest host debacle, then lost on Mayim's first game ever. Came back for the second chance tournament in November, but I didn't recognize him because we didn't have our first face-to-face zoom call until early December.

I just learned this yesterday during our HOA hearing when he turned off his camera to go to the bathroom and the image he has is him with Ken. We ended up talking about it at length while we were waiting for the judge.

He's a great lawyer in the first place, but now I'm even happier we picked this firm.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

I like to think your lawyer started the first game with Mayim and was like “omg she’s so awful I’m going to just cash in and lose right here.”

At least he didn’t have to do one of the Dr Oz episodes.

He of all people is probably best qualified to talk about how lovely a host she was....and he did.

There are probably only a handful of contestants who can say they've played games with both hosts. I've talked to two of them now and both vehemently hate Mayim and love Ken. Specifically my lawyer went on about how great Ken is off camera working the audience and putting the contestants at ease. Apparently Mayim was very self-centered off camera, she definitely wasn't offering tips to struggling contestants or answering audience questions. Maybe that changed later in her hosting tenure, both the guys I spoke to were on during the chaos era, but I doubt it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I missed promotion into A by literally one question. My wife got promoted to A right above me, though she benefited from a very critically-times forfeit victory, and doesn't feel like it's earned. I say if you're close enough to get promoted as a result of a single convenient forfeit, you've earned it

I made it in at 4th, though I was 3rd basically the entire season, I just happened to lose the final day. There's a distinct dropoff after us in the top 4, 3 or 4 wins at least between me and 5th.

TCA of 102 not the worst, especially with one accidental forfeit (the day of my HOA hearing, I was in that for like 6 hours and was utterly exhausted, though I still can't believe I forgot). My win rate did drop off to 0.660 in B from 0.860 in R, but that's to be expected. I guess the benefit of being relatively new is the stats still have a lot of variance in terms of category accuracy, but also I will have an abysmal sports score but do actually know some sports stuff, so on those days a sports question I know pops up I know they'll mark it 3 and I'll win.

But now I get to buckle in for a 9(6) resulting in a tie 2/3 of the time in Rundle A :toot:

EDIT: I do have one referral left if there's anyone who's been looking for one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
But seriously, it doesn't matter how hard he was trying to not be a dick (though a lot of it came across as passive aggressive....e.g. the first time he rang in after struggling with the buzzer, he had to give a really pointed bit of extra information that came across as "I'm smarter than all of you, this buzzer is bullshit"). He had absolutely no business being in this tournament on 3 wins and especially after the poo poo he said.

I'll file this alongside anti-vaxxers and "Doctor" Oz being hosts under the category of disgraceful decisions that cheapen the game. The unfortunate part is that if they do another all-stars tournament we'll have to see this narcissist again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Here's a pretty quick synopsis: https://www.tvinsider.com/1078587/jeopardy-yogesh-raut-blasts-show-michael-davies/

He was also responding to comments on his (public) page where he made the account and being a raging rear end in a top hat to anyone even vaguely critical of him or suggesting he might want to walk away and cool off.

EDIT: Checked said page, it looks like he's configured things to still be public but no one he hasn't approved can comment anymore, which....is there a bigger narcissist move in that situation than making sure you continue posting publicly but can't be criticized?

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 20, 2024

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MockingQuantum posted:

I sometimes idly think about what my anecdote(s) would be if I was ever on Jeopardy and I don't think I've ever done anything or had anything happen in my life that doesn't make me sound like an absolutely gigantic dweeb

You actually have to write them out when you're at the audition (at least pre-covid, I have no idea what auditions look like in 2024 actually). Just remember most people's stories (and lives) are incredibly boring and they struggle to even come up with stories. Embrace the dweebiness, if anything it increases your chances of being picked if you have things to banter about that are interesting.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

And the lineup for Jeopardy Masters is...

- James Holzhauer
- Matt Amodio
- Mattea Roach
- Yogesh Raut
- Victoria Groce
- ~Mystery Wild Card contestant to be announced on April 12~

Guess I'll be skipping that one, not a single person on that list I like.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Victoria seems perfectly nice to me

I don't dislike her, but I don't particularly like her either. Same goes for Mattea.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: James and Yogesh are both 1984 babies, correct? I'm amazed that Yogesh and I are the same age...

Also, RIP Amy. She did well for herself.

They're just 2 years older than me? I don't know how to process this....

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Right? He actually seemed to be trying to rehab his assholeish personality during JIT. Guess that didn't last long.

He just can't help himself. He's a raging hypocrite to start with, but then when he gets a chance he didn't deserve (reminder: he only won three games before the TOC), he still can't resist having to lash out.

Even outside his social media, he always has to put on an act after begrudgingly ringing in on a clue in a "joke" category to make it clear what he thinks of those, or those exaggerated buzzer fits he has any time he starts having trouble ringing in. James is an arrogant poo poo, but Yogesh is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just wish they'd keep the clue up on the screen instead of cutting to watching contestants staring at the thing I wish I could still see.