Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't know what this guy's victory move is supposed to be but it looks like he's jerking off two large horses over his shoulders

We said the exact same thing....

I'm a bit more concerned by his weirdness during the intro. I have no idea what that was, but the first thing I thought....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Weird, I'm on the other side I guess and thought that was insanely easy. I thought "scrumdiddlyumptious" was a dead giveaway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Welp, guessing I'm not getting the call this season. Just saw Monday's episode featuring a different white guy named Scott with a beard and long hair. gently caress this would have been a fantastic episode for me, if only they'd chosen me over him to fit that slot.

There was even an entire category "Space Science", literally the subject on one of my undergrad degrees. Rubbing salt in the wound was putting one of the DDs in it on one of the easiest possible clues; it's one of those categories where I would wager everything no matter what the score situation. I even got final, probably would have been a great game for me if I was good with the buzzer :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
loving guy in the middle on today's episode. His saying "let's go with" for every clue he selected almost made me turn off the episode. If he had won I would have had to ask someone to let me know when he was defeated to watch again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Legitimately the worst part of watching the show. The sports questions are always easy as hell!

I mean I think this about any question about physics or astronomy (or most sciences), and yet those are avoided like the plague and contestants routinely get them horribly wrong (see Brad's last DD missing Maxwell, which I would have gotten from the year alone). But I have advanced degrees in astrophysics, so those are categories I would wager everything I had regardless of the score because I have literally never missed one.

For sports, I'm sure that holds true if you actually, you know, watch sports. That's a category that's super easy if you constantly keep up with it, but it doesn't lend itself well to studying it as it's not really that easy to break down the way something like literature or history would be. You're going to memorize things like super bowl teams and greatest players of all time, but you're not really going to be absorbing things like years players were drafted. Case in point, I aced the Patriots category a few weeks ago....because I grew up in New Bedford so I've followed that team since I was really young, but I haven't watched baseball since I was 12 and am hopelessly lost on questions like that unless it overlaps the very narrow strip of things it's easy to study.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's more that in comparison to other categories they're easier. I'm interested in all sorts of categories Jeopardy covers but say the equivalent biology clues aren't going to be as easy as the sports ones.

That depends on how you're defining "easier", I guess. A question about a specific Heisman trophy winner from 20 years ago is much more esoteric even within the sports community than knowing the Galilean moons in astronomy (both were $1000 clues in their respective categories fairly recently). I define "easy" in terms of depth and obscurity within the category, to try to remove the personal subjectivity. I argue that sports dives much deeper for its clues, whereas science categories tend to always pull from a pretty narrow set of events, people, and concepts; I'd love to go through the physics and math categories and count up the number of times Newton v Leibniz has come up, it feels like there's a clue about them once a month at least.

The one exception might be stuff like human anatomy, where I'd rank things like knowing the islets of Langerhans for insulin production alongside some obscure basketball player who set a record in some season in the 90s, but it's rare that science categories go beyond stuff covered in a high school level course.

Though I'd still argue that the anatomy category lends itself to systematic study to shore up that weakness. Sports is a lot like current events, where you're either absorbing it in your life or you aren't, it's not a category that lends it to studying because it's constantly evolving and by its nature always has really, really specific clues and it's hard to pick out what to study. You're also going to pick up the most basic biology if you finished high school (or watch the show regularly and pick up that they always ask about the same dozen things periodically), but you can easily get into your 40s without having ever paid attention to Stanley Cup winners. There are a few perennial answers in those categories (I can guess "Wayne Gretzky" for any hockey question and probably be right 40% of the time), but they're much less frequent.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's what I said.

Not really, but ok :shrug:. I've been providing specific examples of why this is the exact opposite of what you said, do you have anything more than "I think biology is hard" to support this?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
At least this year I know why I didn't get the call. A few weeks back they had a contestant who was literally me but less fat: same name, same job, same hair, same facial hair. I guess there's another.....8 months I'm eligible to get the call? But once I saw that guy I feel like that would have been my slot so I'm not holding my breath.

That episode was painful to watch because the categories were right in my wheelhouse, and final was in one of my "I'm betting everything I have no matter what the score is" categories. Who knows what would have actually happened, but that seems like the best-case-scenario game for me, so I'd at least have had the best chance possible to do really well. The next day was really rough, though, so I likely would have been a 1-day champ (all assuming I was competent with the buzzer).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sirotan posted:

I realized I hosed up when myself and 99% of the other potential contestants in the room all answered the question of "what would you do if you won Ken Jennings-level money on Jeopardy?" with some variant of "I'd travel the world!!"

8 days away from it being 18 months so guess I can take this month's online test again. :toot:

I think that's every group, same thing happened with mine.

I thought I had that one nailed. "First thing is my girlfriend wants a Lykoi, a weird werewolf cat."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't, it's only been 10 months since my audition :smith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oof, final from the other night would have been a disaster for me. Usually Oscar categories are very strong for me....not exactly one of my "wager everything no matter what the score is" like physics or astronomy, but I'd definitely have bet big and then drew a complete blank.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I noticed the same thing, but more in the context of, "If I get on the show I'd never be able to watch myself because 100% guaranteed I'd do something like that and not notice I was doing it."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
What the hell was up with the guy at the right podium tonight? He sounded almost annoyed to be there. I'd say it was just being a bad loser but he was even like that at the beginning when he was doing well.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Marshall from last night's episode drove me insane with his leaning on the podium (and shooting up suddenly when he rings in) and loving with his sleeve cuffs and fingers constantly. I'll take the normal "wailing on the buzzer and doing a weird wind-up with my flailing arm" over that bullshit any day.

I get it, nerves, but holy poo poo it was really hard for me to watch for some reason. At least stand up straight instead of splaying yourself out over your podium after every clue.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

She isn't crushing it, she keeps falling rear end-backwards into winning.

That plus I can't stand her inability to stfu. The other day the episode got pushed back for pointless COVID news crap (I guess not fully pointless, but it was no new information and didn't seem worth preempting shows for) and we didn't get to see who won because she talked for several minutes after revealing her answer so the DVR recording cut off before her wager was shown.

I feel like you sometimes get some editorializing from a long-term champ like Ken....but even he knows to keep it to a minimum to keep the show flowing, and she seems oblivious to this. I'm pretty sure she tried chiming in at the first break yesterday but they cut her off so Alex could deliver his usual break message. She's either unaware of doing this or doesn't care, but to be fair Alex and the crew aren't doing much to put it in check.

Speaking of which, I thought they put an end to all of the shout-outs in final wagers? Seems like there's been a huge uptick in that lately.

I wanted investigator woman to win last night, despite her insanely long shout-out at the end.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Alec Eiffel posted:

The guy on the right, Jesse, had on so many layers. So. Many.

That was almost verbatim the first thing my wife said when the episode started. I guess the studio is super cold, but drat.

Also, she looked up the books our champion wrote. It's exactly what I had assumed. YA Fantasy called "Astral Plane Jane".

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

Netflix needs to buy the rights to a shitload more Jeopardy episodes though; I'd happily watch Ken's entire first run for example. Or literally any episodes from 1+ years ago so I don't remember poo poo about them. The 40-odd that they have right now are NOT SUFFICIENT.

Hulu has a bunch, but the emphasis is way more on the college tournaments and stuff. I think I blew through all of the regular episodes they had in a day.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah but you forget that scene by the time you reach the 14 hour mark for the first intermission. I know I didn't get it, I've only watched that movie once like 15 years ago.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Alex has earned the right to say poo poo however he drat well pleases :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmNK8R-YuEc

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Last night was a lesson to listen to my instincts. I answered Morrison first, then changed to Angelou at the last second as the song wrapped up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm really bummed Jeopardy is finishing, it's basically been doing a lot of the heavy lifting holding our household together in the evenings.

:same:

Actually does anyone know if there are any :filez: somewhere with old seasons? They only make such a select few episodes available on Hulu, and are almost all from lovely tournaments instead of regular games. There was a period between canceling my cable package and when Hulu's live tv add-on improved enough to be usable that I wasn't watching the show, I'd love to find those seasons to fill this void.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Since you pay for your own travel, that's definitely the difference between breaking even and "hey I got a little something extra and can buy something nice when I get home".

I try to be understanding, but I can't help but judge terrible, illogical DD and Final wagers. Most contestants seem to either take stupid risks, or (more frequently) are way too risk-averse and miss huge opportunities.

I don't think many really learn how to wager properly or give that much thought before they're actually in that situation, so it's understandable they don't really think it through rationally in the heat of the moment.

That said, I'm fully preparing to embarrass myself by going all in on a category like physics or astronomy and finally getting a question wrong because my brain freezes up. But I have to go for it, because the odds say to do it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

I watched for years while paying zero attention to wagering strategy beyond "bet big if you like the category, small if you don't." If you're interested in trivia but not logic puzzles it's easy not to notice or care, and it's something I would have to drill myself on if I ever got the call.

Yeah this is what bothers me about it. It's almost as bad as the people going on Survivor who never bother to learn how to build a fire or shelter. How do you not get that call and then spend every free moment preparing? You don't have to be James where you can take a year off of life to prep, but at least brush up in your evenings on wagering strategy and the most common categories you know you struggle with.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I have a friend who lives in LA who we've been meaning to go visit anyway. Maybe if I kicked rear end and did well we couldn't do it more than just that first week, but I'd definitely fly out the weekend before to relax and hang out and not have to worry about being exhausted from traveling across time zones on game day.

But yeah, I also don't take for granted the privilege of being able to do this, and to float the not-insignificant cost of it.

Fingers crossed I finally get that call after they start filming again at some point, I'm still in the pool for another 6 months.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

Mine was last June.

Didn't you audition in Savannah, too, like the day before or after mine?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Someone in this thread did, I forget who it was.

Ah well, I'm almost kind of bummed they extended the eligibility; I've been assuming if I haven't been called by now I'm not going to be, and ready to try again. But who knows, since auditions have been stalled they might have to pick some contestants who would have otherwise just missed out just to get taping again right away before they can get more auditions rolling.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm just glad the "applause or audience reactions after every single clue" went away. I wonder how long it took for that to become the new norm, and whether it was instruction given to the audience or if that just naturally developed.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I never understood why they can't release episodes more freely on hulu or something. Clearly they have them all saved for events like this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's also just a genuinely nice and likable human being, unlike, say, a James.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm so glad they're taking things seriously enough to redesign the set to make things work.

I just don't know what I'd do if my number finally comes up now, because flying cross-country to get to L.A. still seems like suicide :ohdear:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Bring back the sound boop-boop-boop-boop sound effect as the clue board fills in or gtfo :colbert:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'd probably risk it if they didn't provide some sort of opt-out to be on a later episode instead. I'm just high risk with my lungs so I'm pretty sure if I catch this thing that's game over. I have to assume because of Alex's condition the set itself is probably the safest place to be besides your own home.

I'd John Madden it if it wasn't a 37 hour drive. I used to do 23 hours nonstop solo to New England to see my mom, but those days are long gone; doing 21 to Michigan with my wife even with being able to swap off was just not a good idea. So even splitting that in half would be almost two of those back to back....that's gotta be a 3 day trip one way. I might be able to get away with it but my wife can't and she'd want to be there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I thought she trying too hard to be cute and quirky. But I am an rear end in a top hat and likely in the minority opinion.

She reminded me too much of people I knew in undergrad who annoyed the poo poo out of me because they had to act like that constantly.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

you broke my grill posted:

I didn't get a fair chance to guess final jeopardy because the twitter spoiled it

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1309689153999822849

The dream for me would be the other night's Astronomy final (one of those categories where even if I have 80k to my opponents' $5 each, I'd still bet it all and go for a record), but my friend correctly pointed out that with my luck I'd get some sort of obscure sports clue like this instead where I'm completely hosed unless I had a runaway game.

I'm studying and trying to shore up weaknesses like sports, but come on....this was insane even for a sports clue. All I was able to do was assume from the age and "individual sportsman" that it was a golfer. Even the aforementioned friend who can rattle off the most inane details about sports had no idea and he actively follows golf because he's secretly 80 years old posing as 35. Maybe they were hoping for a contestant who regularly reads Forbes?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I get that just for me getting the win(s) would be enough (I'm not wealthy) so I'd roll the dice since it's house money.

You have to remember it cuts both ways. Sure, you can guarantee half your salary, but you could also win the whole thing, and no matter what you get to spin the wheel again. The opportunity to play again is the most valuable reward compared to the money you'd win on any DD or Final. Once you already have the win, the rest is icing, might as well go for it.

But this champ is obviously extremely risk-averse. There was another severe runaway final where he had like 23k and the next highest was 7k, but he only wagered like 2500. I can see myself doing that on a sports category that I know the chances of me getting is like 5% at best, but now he's established a pattern that it's not just a bad category (unless by some freak chance all of these wagers happened to all fall on bad categories for him....possible, but unlikely).

I can understand why they do it, but I don't have to respect it. This is your one shot, go for it. You can't lose money you never actually had, don't let that fallacy limit you. Really I don't care, do what you're comfortable with, I know I'm the odd one out with these things.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I didn't get to watch that day because Hulu is loving incompetent and the cloud DVR recording was broken :bang: (and Jeopardy is the ONE show I watch that can't just be available on demand after it airs).

I'm now with everyone else, the limited contestant pool is definitely a factor. I'd probably be horribly wrong and fall flat on my face, but I'd love to get on now and my middling performance just dominates. It's not a solo Final level failure, but the winner walking away with $700 more than 2nd place is embarrassing, as is the number of contestants in the red at the end lately.

Wagering continues to be baffling, too. Lots of DDs where they just seem to choose random (small) numbers. When you're at 4000 and the next guy is at 9000....wagering 1500 seems useless. What's that 3500 you're saving doing for you? I get it, risk aversion (and once in a while it's late, the game is decided, and they're playing for 2nd place), but it really stands out that most of the time they're not doing any sort of logical thinking or math and just go with their gut. I don't think they're looking at the whole situation and seeing that losing a big wager really leaves them in the same boat as winning or losing the small wager, but winning on the big wager puts them back in the game.

Poque posted:

Some of this season's clues have been brutal. Just don't feel right. A lot of times writer turnover is noticeable, but this time the tone just feels wrong.

Yeah I've been commenting that I'm alternating between sweeping categories or getting the final before Alex finishes reading it or "holy gently caress no one would know that".

I did like the category about naming the English monarch when a certain event happened. They're not that outright hard, but that feels like an appropriate difficulty bump that you need to know when the event happened then go one more step to connect it to a king/queen, similar to Before and After clues.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If I had the game locked up, I bet nothing on just a few categories that I know the probability of me having the answer is like 5% at best (mostly sports).

If it was a physics or astronomy category, I wager everything regardless of how big a runaway it is, I have literally never missed a clue in those categories and if I do I deserve to go home in shame.

Otherwise, wager whatever the amount is that would leave me with $1 more than if the 2nd place player doubled up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

packetmantis posted:

I liked fast talking lady. :sigh:

She seemed nice enough, but listening to her give responses was giving me anxiety.

I really wish Alex would stop saying someone is copying James any time they do something pretty standard.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

On the bright side, it sounds like he's a really nice dude IRL, when people with personalities like that on the show it can really kind of go either way LOL.

Tonight's final was actually fairly obscure, I thought. I mean, I grew up in a household with a French mother learning fairy tales as a kid so I got it instantly, plus yeah the "pouce" part kind of gave it away, but that's some decently advanced knowledge of a foreign language required to get there.

It wasn't super easy, but it wasn't that overly hard either. The one contestant's guess of "The Little Mermaid" was the only reasonable, literal one-to-one translation guess. When you see how both the languages are treating the name, it's pretty obvious they're going for a diminutive twist on a word, especially since the Spanish wasn't in the equivalent form "La [noun] pequeña". It helps to know the root words in question, but it's not really necessary to puzzle it out once you realize the most obvious direct translation has no valid targets. Then you just cast your mind about looking for one-word names for little characters. The contestants were all just excited to understand the word "little" and couldn't get out of that literal mindset.

Tricky, but doable even if you don't know the French or Spanish words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I mean, Jeopardy goes to the Hans Christian Anderson well every other show, seems like something you should be at least aware of in passing even if you don't count the financial failure but still pretty well-known and definitely familiar to anyone under the age of 40 in the 90s film "Thumbelina" from Don Bluth in 1994. There's also an admittedly niche tie-in if you're a fan of godawful movies like I am and know about Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

It's not exactly The Little Mermaid in terms of popularity, but I'd really struggle to call it "obscure" in any way. HCA only has like 5 really well-known fairy tales and he comes up all the time. That's way easier than the incredibly frequent clues where you have to know every minor character from 36 different Shakespeare plays, but that's me :shrug: