Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riptor posted:

Yeah, this is me. So angry

I have been trying to get on Jeopardy off and on since the Teen Tournament of '96. Ever since then, three of my friends have already been on, and a fourth friend just got an invite to an in-person audition a couple of weeks back when they had a contestant search in Cleveland.

There really ought to be a support group for nerds like us. :sigh:

ComposerGuy posted:

They should just bring back the turning letters anyway. They lost something when it went digital.

To be fair, they did save a lot of downtime with the change. In the old, old GSN reruns, you could see the puzzle board's reflection on the contestant backdrops as they towed it off stage for a PA to change all the letters and flip all the trilons back around.

But I totally agree with you, they really lost something in the aesthetic in going with the touchscreens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cannot believe I blanked on the creator of family guy.

Goddamnit, this is going to be "Polonious' daughter in 'Hamlet'" all over again for me.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iS! posted:

Honestly I think they'll have to accept some other responses besides morning sickness, because hyperemesis gravidarum is more than just "extreme morning sickness." And "hyperemesis" pretty much just means "extreme vomiting" anyway.

I put down 'pregnancy,' but I think that was because I had Jeopardy confused with Match Game for a moment.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is also rumor of Brian Williams and Dan Patrick as other possible names.

Honestly, if they really want to go with someone with journalism experience, they really can't go wrong with Pat Kiernan. He needs another game show after VH1 decided against another World Series of Pop Culture, the cretins.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uublog posted:

Actually just reunite Jennings and Kiernan from their time on Grand Slam, with Kiernan in some other cool non-hosting role.

I just had the craziest thought pop into my head: Pat and Ken hosting an American version of Pointless. I feel like I need to write that down somewhere.

(And, yes, I remember Grand Slam as well. Asides from Russian Roulette, that was the best original GSN had ever ran)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cripes. Over thirty years on television and we still have people forgetting to phrase it in the form of a question.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mennoknight posted:

As the contestant coordinators told us - we don't care what question you use, or even if it makes sense...as long as it's a question,

Posting to confirm that it's been the rule for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bClXPNwLeCw&t=511s

Although according to Merv Griffin, there was a rule in the very, very beginning that they insisted on grammatically correct phrasing. Like only accepting "When does the action in Buck Rogers take place?" for a clue of "In the 25th Century."

They dropped that rule in a drat hurry. Mind you, this was back when Merv was still staging this as a comedy game.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 12, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One episode from this year's Tournament of Champions had a category about Al Gore. A friend used this as an opportunity to make known his feelings about the show's covert liberal bias.

Everybody else laughed at him and changed the subject.

EDIT: The dude was being serious. We laughed even harder.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 16, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
THAT FJ WAS BULLSHIT

that's my default response whenever final jeopardy turns out to be something i totally should have known

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 19, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know what? Every year for the Jeopardy test I wring my hands and try to remember what I said versus what the correct answers were and fret for weeks on end.

I'm not doing that crap this year. If I'm in, I'm in. If not, to hell with it -- I've tried out for 18 years, I can try again on year 19.

(that third type of column is going to be my undoing)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, Trebek's been sober for years; dude has just always had a goofy-assed sense of humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzc9ZadFpP0

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perfidus posted:

I don't get all this Chu poo poo. His tactics are something you see relatively often with 3+ day champs. I think the whole reason this pudgy jerk is getting the attention is because of the tie bid and the fact he routinely cuts off and annoys Trebek.

Because Twitter has latched onto it, and reporting on Twitter trends is a low-effort, high-payout form of journalism these days.

But not the Taiwanese news animation -- that was magic.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Pretty excited for synchronized swimmer girl's impending reign of terror.

*(Zergs out the following episode)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well... at least The Chase got renewed, so there's that at least.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dan Patrick to host sports Jeopardy for crackle

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you haven't had a chance to listen to the Nerdist episode that Chris Hardwick did with Alex Trebek, you really need to do yourself a favor and listen to it.

"I tell people I was born in a suit."

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 29, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as I throw shade in Wheel of Fortune's direction, it's pretty easy to forget that both Wheel and Jeopardy have been produced for the past fifteen years by the same guy: Harry Friedman. I have a lot of respect for him for what he's been able to do over the years, so I thought it was very interesting when his emails detailing a conflict between CBS, the NFL, and Sony Pictures Entertainment were part of the Sony email leak.

tl;dr:

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 13, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
See, now I thought it was State Fair. But I at least take solace in the fact that I got the T. E. Lawrence question from last night.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pencils up, y'all. They open up registration for the test on March 30.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I'm 34, and I'd certainly try. I'm riding out my ineligibility until September, but that don't mean they'd be unable to call when that happens.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had 13, but I was apparently concussed at the time.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrincessKate posted:

Alex said something about it at the end of the episode but didn't really elaborate what exactly was wrong with the question...anyway, what would you do if you know something is blatantly wrong while filming? Do you start protesting then and there? Do you bring it up at commercial? There are corrections all the time, so I just wonder if people start immediately bitching as soon as they are docked or someone gets credit for something wrong.

A friend of mine who was an ex-contestant:

quote:

...But in a general sense, yes, the production team doesn't like to interrupt game flow. With extremely rare exception, they'll stop to check a response only during commercial breaks, or after a Daily Double has been selected. Contestants can ask them to check a response during commercial breaks as well.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GhostStalker posted:

Can't take it again, but I wish you guys luck! Also, I have the email of a Jeopardy contestant coordinator which they told us in our contestant packet to give to anyone who I thought might make a good contestant. It says that I should have you guys email her after you take the test. I could PM it to you guys if you want. I've already given it to my cousin who's a big Jeopardy guy.

If it's not too late, I'd like to get in on this.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...Did anybody else have a thing where it looped back around to question one again? Because that totally just happened to me just now.

EDIT:

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 16, 2015

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think in my case it largely depends on which 50 they look at. Honestly, I'm afraid to look up the actual answers.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trebek talks to Howard Stern with Jimmy Kimmel, and it is a very good listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RGHMezPVY

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey all -- I'm hanging out with Ben Ingram for a charity thing. If you wanna watch me get my rear end kicked by him, my friends are streaming the whole thing at gameshowmarathon.com

We're about to play the chase, and he's the chaser.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GhostStalker posted:

So on Friday, Jeopardy! posted a congratulatory clue regarding Justice Kennedy and his majority opinion on their Facebook feed. Of course, there's a bunch of comments from those salty about the decision condemning the show for the move and saying that they'll never watch it again. To which I say, good riddance!

Goddamn, you weren't kidding. Those comments were so salty Israelis were reading the newspaper as they floated by.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, despite how good the show is, it's facebook page is pretty terrible. Reminds me of a joke:

How many of Jeopardy's older viewers does it take to change a lightbulb?

The first one holds the bulb, then ever how many more it takes to hoist the first one up by the stick in their rear end.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly thought I had my best year yet. 40/50 by my count.

Ones I missed (that I remember) include:
4th president of the US (said Quincy Adams, was Madison)
Author of "The Optimist's Daughter (had no earthly, was Eudora Welty)
The river in Venezuela that empties out near Trinidad (said azul, it's Orinoco)
Author of "What is the What" (had no earthly, was Dave Eggers)
7-Letter word for "putting money in the palm of a bureaucrat" (panicked and said 'buttering,' but pretty sure they wanted 'bribing')
Author of 100 Years of Solitude (said Martinez, was Marquez)
Tallest mountain in Greece (panicked like a dolt and said Vesuvius, it's effing Olympus)

Maybe:
Roman emperor's personal bodyguard (spelled it 'pretorian," but it's spelled 'praetorian')

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zakharov posted:

Dude I hope you got the Gene Hackman question right

Ha! I almost panicked thinking they were looking for the directors, but it really helps when you read the damned clue.

quote:

They'll probably give you pretorian

Hell, even if they don't, 39 is still an all-time personal best. If they call, they call. If they don't, gently caress it -- they're bringing back The $100,000 Pyramid this summer and I can always use an excuse to visit my brother in New York.

(Can't even remember what the Emma Lazarus question was, but I'm pretty sure I got that wrong)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Margaret on today's episode totally looks and sounds like a mellowed-out Lady Elaine Fairchild from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 15, 2016

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

gently caress me you were not joking. Margaret didn't have a story they just had a slightly sad conversation.

For those who missed it, here is the conversation verbatim:

A: "Hey, Margaret, you're a librarian, but what do you do?"

M: "I knit and I have cats."

A: "Good for you."

[ALEX SIDE-STEPS TO THE NEXT CONTESTANT]

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell, I'm impressed enough that he managed to bust $100k in three days, never mind the winning streak.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyWD9QpFME

This was a surprise -- despite the original NBC run of Jeopardy lasting over 2000 episodes, there's only about a handful or so of episodes still in existence. When it was cancelled on NBC, Merv Griffin decided to try a syndicated version that managed to work in a much bigger budget. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time one of those syndicated episodes has been found and put online.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 1, 2016

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you mean 'panorama' vs 'panarama?'

eeeehhhhhh...

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

Today my dvr somehow recorded a strange proto-jeopardy of sorts

1970s Double Dare. Jay Wolpert created it for Goodson/Todman while he worked as producer for The Price is Right.

Another connection to Jeopardy is that Jay also won the tournament of champions back in '69.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Half the fun was how confused it made Alex.

Clearly he was looking for his full name.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and yet he remembers everything about the etruscans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I felt I performed to my satisfaction -- and that is a new one for me. Whether or not I performed to their satisfaction, I couldn't say. I will say I believe I did get that algebra question right ('y' should have been 3, because you'll end up with 21 after plugging in 5 for 'x.')

At any rate, gently caress it. If they call, that's great. If they don't, I'm no worse off than when I started the test.

here. have a hammered dulcimer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6QOr-oCTwU&hd=1

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 6, 2016