Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Frot Lesnar posted:

Jeopardy is my all time favorite game show. If someone can find the youtube of "canadian teen awkwardly tells story" about going to the bear park but not seeing a bear I will love you forever.

The Soup has a semi-recurring bit called "Cool story, Jeopardy contestant!" and they had a lot of fun with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

escape artist posted:

I might have won if it weren't for that loving baseball final jeopardy.

That was way easier than 90% of the other crap they had on tonight.

Even the dummy who got it wrong was half-right; the Dodgers did play in the LA Coliseum but I guess he missed the part that says "CURRENT"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

escape artist posted:

Ricey's Pisces

The Final Jeopardy tonight was ridiculously easy. It could have been a single Jeopardy non-daily double question.

It should have been "This imaginary character became 'real' on November 18, 1985"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

44! We'll see if that's good enough.

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 9, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

gooby on rails posted:

But the element was named during the period when Pluto was considered a planet...

Plutonium's atomic number isn't 92

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Does anybody know what the threshold is to call you for an audition?

There isn't one. Obviously the more the better but it's not like they say "ok everyone who got at least X right gets a callback".

Also I'm sure it's all relative but seeing those other two tests makes me less proud of kicking rear end at the Tuesday one. I can just the producers saying "ok, that's the easy one, let's go through the pile of people who got them all right and see who we want." :smith:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

uublog posted:

Also what I love about the Teen Tournament is that they could still kick my rear end in basically anything on the board. I love to be made to feel like a dumbfuck by a handful of teenagers who are scientifically programmed to do dumb things inherently.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember hating the Teen Tournament because the questions are easy as hell. Same with Celebrity Jeopardy (wolfblitzer.jpg notwithstanding).

It does make the best "Cool story, Jeopardy contestant!" bits though. The Soup loved that girl who saw a bear.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Big logos of any kind like that is usually where they draw the line. If you want to be obnoxious, try getting a shirt from Loudmouth Golf. They specialize in stuff like

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And seriously, her name was Tori Amos? I want to meet her parents and shoot them in the loving head.

At least when all the Edwards and Bellas and whoever grow up they have some plausible deniability. But the last name too? Ugh

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Not sure how quick on the trigger Sony is but here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3tb-DVow0

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

if Ken Jennings isn't the first phone call when Trebek retires they are idiots

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yeah I mean if he doesn't want to, oh well, but I would hope they'd ask.

It'd also probably look bad if he was like "Yeah! I'd love to! Can't wait!", as snarky as he is being coy about the job is a good move.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

At least Lisa Simpson didn't win. Goondolences Sara, enjoy all your money

Also I got Final Jeopardy right away :smug:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

As much as Brian Williams would own (see: RAWR with Brian Williams on The Soup) I don't see any way they could get him without him quitting NBC News so that probably won't work.

I wouldn't mind Dan Patrick. He could at least pass for smart. Matt Lauer, regardless of his actual intelligence, cannot. They might as well get Hoda and Kathy Lee (actually that would kinda own).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pittsburgh Daily Double in the house! I'll "Detroit" you, lady! :argh:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They had a question about Mellon Arena being the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins like a year after the place closed down (even accounting for tape-to-air)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I like when the question is an actual math problem and people buzz in before knowing the answer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Human Cow posted:

Since it's taxed as income, you can deduct the trip out there, the cost of your hotel, and the cost of meals from your taxes as a business expense.

For this to work you'd first have to set yourself up as a business

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I hope you all saw the champ do his Beavis impression. It wasn't just a voice.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sup spam folder buddies. I only confirmed yesterday.

What a ridiculous oversight. I got every single email about the online test just fine.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ben also keeps saying poo poo like "Where is" for the answer. No one ever says anything besides "what" or "who".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Whoever didn't make the $200 clue be Ned Flanders is a stupidhead

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Nerdfest X posted:

No Jeopardy! today due to Royal Baby. In the US.

On Alex Trebek's birthday? THIS WILL NOT STAND

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://deadspin.com/jeopardy-flummoxes-contestants-with-tough-sports-movi-902329017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If they made a stink beforehand they'd also have to deal with Jeopardy suing them for violating an NDA

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

escape artist posted:

If I ever get on there, I'm going to try and deliberately find the Daily Doubles quickly, and get them out of the way by wagering like $5 on them if it's a category I don't know. I don't lose money, but I do deny my opponents an opportunity to score big with one clue. :v:

Didn't the one guy we were bitching about a couple weeks ago do this? I seem to remember a dude who instead doing the whole "start at $200, go straight down" thing was starting the middle, hopping categories, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Shameful lack of baseball knowledge and shameful going too slow to get to all the questions

I liked the guy who thought Ryne Sandberg played in the 50s

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Matt Lauer thing came from the New York Post so it's probably not even close to being true

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I've not watched a second of Breaking Bad and I still knew Heisenberg, what cave do these people live in

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Piper posted:

Well, that was a train wreck of a Final Jeopardy.

I wanted triple zeroes, dammit

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Whatta maroon. "A slow-moving food? I don't know so I'm going to guess something that shoots out of a can at high speed propelled by pressurized gas"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If you drew it, would you get a correct response?

I was kinda surprised they didn't give the backstory of the peace sign.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I know you all probably are doing it anyway but follow Ken Jennings on Twitter if you don't already. Dude's fuckin' hilarious. Makes some amazingly off-color jokes for a Mormon, too.

Last night he apologized for not getting the "sabotage" answer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

crikster posted:

Julia is getting too big for her britches. She makes too many smug faces into the camera and she looks like she swallowed a canary.

I don't need to see much more of her until she mops the floor with Arthur at the tournament

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

so did she lose her job because of Jeopardy?

"Lose"? If I won in excess of hundreds of thousands of dollars and was semi-famous at the moment I'd take a big stretch of time off work too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The auditions aren't special or interesting. You take another test and everyone plays with the buzzers. The only thing interesting/different when I went was that clue crew Kelly was there and she talked to us and answered questions during some downtime.

One lady from my group made it on, I remembered her story. She didn't win.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I figured out why I remembered Ben. It was because I told the hockey thread some dude that looked like Chris Pronger was kicking rear end on Jeopardy during his original run.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

My wife's friend won! We couldn't believe no one else came up with James Bond.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Seriously people this ain't Stump the Schwab, two of the questions will be piss easy unless you live under a rock, two of them will be about sports but figured out with general knowledge (like, you wouldn't need to know basketball to guess that the Golden State Warriors play in California), and the very last one will be something you'd need to be a fan to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

HookShot posted:

I think two years ago when I did the test I got around 29.

The test I got an audition for I got high 40s. I looked at the answers from the next day's test and I got in the 20s. You just never know.