Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Trebek is a weird, weird dude. Apparently, he just shaved off the moustache between shows one day and didn't tell anybody he was going to do it. Makeup flipped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
If anybody wants some more in-depth information about the audition process and what the day of taping is like, I typed up a couple blog articles here (audition) and here (taping).

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

JAMOOOL posted:

Excellent story! But...uh...it seems to cut out at an important part.

Here, experience my shame.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

KilGrey posted:

I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about. Even though you didn't win you still did very respectably. How much did they tax the money you won? Also, did you take down the "Becoming a Jeopardy Contestant" entry? I read the one about going on the show and you got a pretty good laugh out of me with this part:

I think I heard Ken Jennings talking about how important 'buzzer timing' is on the show and you covered that as well. I noticed in the video that you can hear you guys frantically pressing your buttons. Is that why sometimes a person will go on a 5 question tear? They found the rhythm of the buzzer for a moment? Does getting a question wrong or them cutting to a commercial break this rhythm?

Thanks! I think the links between the blog posts are broken, but the links in that post should both work. As far as taxes go, California takes (I think) 10%, and then the rest is taxes as income. Since it's taxed as income, however, you can deduct travel expenses (flight, hotel, food) for both the trip out there and the trip to audition. That's what my accountant told me, at least.

The whole game is buzzer timing. Basically, if you're good enough to make it to the show, you probably know 80% or more of the answers. Once you get the rhythm down, you're golden - if you watch my video, you can see what I'm talking about at the end of Regular Jeopardy when Bob runs the sports category. I knew the last half of the column, but I couldn't buzz in. For most of the game, I could buzz in at will, but I didn't get the categories I needed - I'm a huge pop culture geek, and geography and history kill me. I'm still bitter when I see Final Jeopardy categories like "Billboard Number 1 Albums" come up when I'm watching at home.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
When I was on they vetoed 2 out of the 3 ties that I brought because they were too busy for the cameras (even though one was solid pink?) so I asked what would happen if I won and they told me that I'd have to borrow stuff from the other contestants.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Dang, what happened? I watched regular and double Jeopardy on the treadmill at the gym and left right before Final.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Holy cow, that's incredible. Wish I had seen it.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Island Nation posted:

I forgot if it was in one of his books or on reddit but he's said the producers would likely hire a professional emcee over him.

I dunno, the PA we were dealing with in the green room was telling us that the producers were hoping hard that he wanted to do it. They also said that Brad what'shisface that played against Ken and Watson quit his job, moved to LA, and hired an agent so he'd be ready when Alex retired.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Since it's taxed as income, you can deduct the trip out there, the cost of your hotel, and the cost of meals from your taxes as a business expense.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Did you go to the auditions in Tampa back in March? I was at the 11am session.

They did mention that they have a deal with a hotel right by the studio, so I got the impression that we don't have to worry about hotel, only airfare, so if you make third place you'll at the very least break even.

Whoever mentioned you can deduct the expenses was correct, you DON'T have to be a business. You can also deduct gambling losses in the same way as long as you're reporting some gambling income, so...yeah. Tax codes are weird. I do think you have to file California state income taxes despite living in Florida (a state without an income tax, which sounds awesome until you take a look at our schools, roads, etc.) because the income was earned in that state regardless of your residency. I'm sure they have handlers who walk every contestant through everything if you get that magic phone call we're all waiting for.

EDIT: Oh and if you get selected, fly Virgin American. I flew them last summer from Orlando to LAX non-stop (except for an unscheduled emergency landing in Dallas because the fuel pump quit, that was fun), and it was the best flight I ever took. They're not really any more expensive than anyone else, but it's a much more enjoyable experience, I won't fly anyone else. It was only like 450 round-trip.

They do have a deal with the hotel by the studio, but it's not free or anything like that - just discounted. There's a shuttle that goes between the studio and the hotel, too. I stayed a few miles away because the reviews online were so-so and didn't have any problems getting there on time.

I'm about 95% sure that you do have to pay California state income taxes as well.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
That dude from SC is cleaning house.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
For Final Jeopardy, they even tell you beforehand how your answer should start ("who were," "what is," etc.) and you write it down while you're making your wager.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Arms_Akimbo posted:

God how I wish somebody in the scene was into Jeopardy. Its the only show I can't buy or stream through some subscription service, and I miss it like hell. I need to plop some cash down for a decent antenna, I guess.

Build this bad boy! It works really, really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Congrats! Prepare for the most surreal experience ever, and get ready to be blown away by their ultra high-tech method of picking when it's your turn to play!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Mo0 posted:

Do they literally pull names out of a hat?

Not a hat, but they do put index cards face-down on a table and pick that way.

GhostStalker posted:

Not even sure if I'll be able to be on camera even when I do go out there. The lady I spoke to over the phone said that since I'm going to be flying so far across the country, they'll do their best to get me on camera, though she made clear that there are no guarantees. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be on, at least I hope so.

I'm pretty sure they just say that so if you get out there and start uncontrollably vomiting or something they can say "well, we told you there was no guarantee!" You'll definitely be on unless you really screw something up.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Alan BStard posted:

The show I was on wasn't Jeopardy but it was somewhat similar in that you had to beat your opponents to the buzzer in order to answer. Almost everyone knows the answer it is all about that extra fraction of a second it takes to buzz in, so I'd definitely say that would be the thing to work on.

For sure, you get to go up there before all of the tapings to answer 4 or 5 questions, play with the buzzer, and get used to the environment. I just concentrated on buzzer timing during that and it seemed to really pay off during the actual game.

Also, that pen they give out during the auditions is about the same size as the buzzer, so it's great to practice with at home.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Good luck! Keep an eye out for celebrities when you go to lunch - I saw Owen Wilson and Stanley Tucci hanging out.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Don't forget that, during the interview portion, you want to give them a reason to remember you. When they ask you what you like doing, don't just say "reading and watching movies," and when they ask what you'd do with the money don't just say "travel." Be creative!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Val was one of the more...interesting contestants I've seen in a while.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
An Academy Award winner from 1984 that starts with "A?" TITANIC :byodame:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I didn't put my appearance on my resume, but the interviewer has asked about it at every single job interview that i've had since then. I guess they find J-Archive or IMDb. I was on there like two days after my episode aired somehow.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

mennoknight posted:

I GOT THE loving CALL

Congrats! Don't fall victim to the Goon Jeopardy Curse!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
He's sounded pretty rough all week, I think.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Welcome to the "I Lost on Jeopardy" Goon Club! We're a prestigious bunch.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Brennan legitimately had one of the worst interviews I've ever heard on the show tonight.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
The lady who ended up beating me was going to bet differently, which would have resulted in her losing, but she couldn't do the math so she just panicked and bet everything.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Matt sounds like Bania from Seinfeld and I find that the show is much more enjoyable if I just image l imagine that he is Bania.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Holy cow, where did Josh come from? He reminds me of Jacob Silj.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Those were some of the Jeopardy-est interviews ever.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
You definitely get to see others' scores, and they even give you as much time as you want (within reason) to figure out how much you want to bet.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Hell yeah, finally a goon champion! Congrats, HookShot!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I was halfway through Double Jeopardy and couldn't figure out what you were talking about, and then it clicked and clicked and clicked and clicked and clicked...

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Ugh, that's awful. Here's hoping for a miracle for him.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
And if it happened tonight

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I can't decide if I like Dave's bolo tie, civil war handlebar, or American flag glasses frame better.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
This guy on Wheel of Fortune is really something.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
That was amazing. I feel completely humbled - is that what normal Jeopardy feels like for non-turbonerds?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I was at a BBQ restaurant with my wife and in-laws when the replay of my episode aired, and half of the TVs were tuned to Jeopardy. It was weird as hell.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Hell yeah, dude! Way to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Everything looks so chintzy - I love it. They should go back to this look.