Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ElwoodCuse posted:

Not sure how quick on the trigger Sony is but here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3tb-DVow0

I was hoping they would pan back over to the kids so I could see their dejected faces as Alex explained that they were all eliminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Damo posted:

I'm not normally amazed by how ignorant people are, especially young people, especially young Americans in regards to anything that happens outside our borders.

But seriously, how do you get on Jeopardy! and not one of them knows about Northern Ireland? Or how to properly bet during final Jeopardy?

Awesome, America. The future is lookin' bright.

Nah, I think that was a suitably difficult question. I had no idea, but assumed it was Ireland due to the Catholic/Protestant thing. Dublin's as good a guess as any. The betting thing is dumb, though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That was a legitimately more difficult question than a lot of the ones I've seen for adult Final Jeopardy's lately.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

escape artist posted:

That was a legitimately more difficult question than a lot of the ones I've seen for adult Final Jeopardy's lately.

Seriously. I don't think the kids are dumb for getting it wrong. "The Toubles" isn't a big thing that gets taught to American kids anymore. I went to HS in the late 90's, and we barely touched on it. Most US high school history classes and VERY US-centric. They get props for at least knowing that it was Ireland.

In regards to the betting, if it was the little kids tourny, then I wouldn't expect anything of them. But a Teen Tournament? Yeah, you should know at least the basics of proper betting. The number one rule being that if you're in first place, only bet enough to have $1 more than second place if you both get it right.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How does betting work in Jeopardy? Do you place your bet before seeing the question?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

in_cahoots posted:

So what happens if there's a two-way tie in a tournament?

A two way tie in the quarterfinal round has a tie breaker to determine the winner which I have only seen once.

quote:

How does betting work in Jeopardy? Do you place your bet before seeing the question?
I think you wager before just like on daily doubles otherwise you would see a lot more 0 wagers when people get stumped.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Yeah you write down your bet and then you see the question.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
It goes See Category -> Place Wager -> See Question -> Answer Question

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Ken Jennings posted:

oh no a tragic development in the Hunger Games earlier this evening

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/299737292245983233

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Simply the best.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
if Ken Jennings isn't the first phone call when Trebek retires they are idiots

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Ken Jennings is goddamned amazing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Damo posted:

I'm not normally amazed by how ignorant people are, especially young people, especially young Americans in regards to anything that happens outside our borders.

But seriously, how do you get on Jeopardy! and not one of them knows about Northern Ireland? Or how to properly bet during final Jeopardy?

Awesome, America. The future is looking bright.

Twofold: The category was Capital Cities so they probably assumed National capitals instead of Regional ones.

Second: The Good Friday Agreement is 15 years old so either they weren't born or they were infants when it happened so they have no knowledge of The Troubles except in history books.

Betting wise however, all 3 were idiots

ElwoodCuse posted:

if Ken Jennings isn't the first phone call when Trebek retires they are idiots

I forgot if it was in one of his books or on reddit but he's said the producers would likely hire a professional emcee over him.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2013

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It goes See Category -> Place Wager -> See Question -> Answer Question

In addition to this, during the "place wager" step, they actually put everything on hold and give everyone a pen and paper if they need it to work out the math for their wagers. It's pretty much the only time during a taping where it's not exactly as it appears on TV. (Even for the commercial breaks, they'll stop taping for a few minutes to talk to the audience and stuff - watching a taping is pretty similar to watching the show.)

Note: I've never actually been on the show or to a taping; I'm just relaying this from accounts of people who have.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Island Nation posted:

I forgot if it was in one of his books or on reddit but he's said the producers would likely hire a professional emcee over him.

I dunno, the PA we were dealing with in the green room was telling us that the producers were hoping hard that he wanted to do it. They also said that Brad what'shisface that played against Ken and Watson quit his job, moved to LA, and hired an agent so he'd be ready when Alex retired.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Yeah I mean if he doesn't want to, oh well, but I would hope they'd ask.

It'd also probably look bad if he was like "Yeah! I'd love to! Can't wait!", as snarky as he is being coy about the job is a good move.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
After watching Brad Rutter try to be funny during the Watson games I hope he stays far away from TV.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Stupid blizzard! There's no Jeopardy! in New England tonight.

Well there is, at 3am, but to hell with that.

I wasn't even interested in this dumb teen tournament until last night's fiasco.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yesss... Superman serial killer vs. a guy right out of a 70s disco vs. a little kid who I hate because he starts in the middle of the category. Good finals.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I gotta root for Leonard in the final episodes. That little kid who starts in the middle of the board and Ted-Bundy-to-be, I cannot stand. At least Leonard has a sweet afro.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

escape artist posted:

I gotta root for Leonard in the final episodes. That little kid who starts in the middle of the board and Ted-Bundy-to-be, I cannot stand. At least Leonard has a sweet afro.

Leonard is the correct choice. I was on the edge of my seat hoping he'd be the high-scorer to get in.

I don't get why some of you guys don't like the Teen Tournament. It's just as fun.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Little Mac posted:

Leonard is the correct choice. I was on the edge of my seat hoping he'd be the high-scorer to get in.

I don't get why some of you guys don't like the Teen Tournament. It's just as fun.

Well the first round was ridiculously easy, but these semi-final matches I think I might not have even won.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I swear that little indian kid has been on like 8 years in a row.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
While this episode is certainly easy, I'd equate it to an easy day of normal Jeopardy! rather than the poo poo-affair that is normal Teen Tournament.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

While this episode is certainly easy, I'd equate it to an easy day of normal Jeopardy! rather than the poo poo-affair that is normal Teen Tournament.

Yeah, Final Jeopardy is something that would have appeared in the regular game. 1939 was throwing me off because I knew the movie came out around that time, and then I remembered it came out rather quickly. Also my brain wanted to say "Of Mice and Men" so that slowed me down.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Well, it is the championship.

Also, poor Leonard. He has no chance to win this now. It's up to psycho-killer and little kid who ruins the board.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is late but I'd never heard of "The Troubles" or know very much about Ireland at all, and as soon as the question came up I still instantly knew it was Belfast because it's the obvious city that has Catholic/Protestant problems, even today.

Also psycho-killer is totally going to end up running a cult one day. I was cheering for Leonard because his facial expressions throughout the game are awesome.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

When does the TOC start?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

When does the TOC start?
I'm guessing in two days, since the teen tourney ends tomorrow.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HookShot posted:

Also psycho-killer is totally going to end up running a cult one day. I was cheering for Leonard because his facial expressions throughout the game are awesome.

I love when he buzzes in with the correct answer and just mumbles it almost intelligibly.

zakharov posted:

When does the TOC start?

Wednesday

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Serves you right for picking out of order!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Guin-nehs? gently caress you, kid.

e: HAMLET, YOU loving KIDS. COME ON.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 13, 2013

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Holy poo poo Leonard loving rules. $38k DD payoff and a :smug: FJ response for the win.

escape artist posted:

Well, it is the championship.

Also, poor Leonard. He has no chance to win this now. It's up to psycho-killer and little kid who ruins the board.

Oh really

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Barrett is the most awkward lovely kid of all time. I want to punch his idiot face.

PS. I am an educator who works with teens lmao.

Just got to Hamlet and I want to kill these kids now.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Holy Christ that was ballsy, Leonard. You loving own.

e: Just got to final Jeopardy. Holy poo poo Leonard, you're the best.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 13, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Barrett is the picture of "Young Republican".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Barrett is the most awkward lovely kid of all time. I want to punch his idiot face.

PS. I am an educator who works with teens lmao.

I am SHOCKED that an awkward kid would appear on Teen Jeopardy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zakharov posted:

Holy poo poo Leonard loving rules. $38k DD payoff and a :smug: FJ response for the win.

Please tell me somebody screencapped that FJ response.

The best part was that he credited it to "some guy in Normandy."

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

zakharov posted:

Oh really

YOU BASTARD IT'S STILL AIRING FOR ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

This is Jeopardy!: Who is some guy in Normandy I JUST WON $75K