Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Intrepid is fantastic and everyone should go to it if they find themselves in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

I got it and I'm a baseball fan but that is a horrible clue.

I got it despite knowing very little about baseball because it's my favorite of all the team names for exactly the reason in the clue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alex's Angels

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Who is Frankenstein" should not have been accepted, the doctor is named Frankenstein and the monster has no name :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The seven complaints filed with the FCC regarding Jeopardy! in the past three years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight is the only time it's practical, so this'll have to be it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bleh, missed some obvious ones and totally blanked on Jane Austen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
37, which is better than I felt I did.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jscolon2.0 posted:

Can someone post the answer list here?

quote:

1 – JAMES
2 – ALL ABOUT THAT BASS
3 – CHLOROPHYLL
4 – IRAQ
5 – HIPPOPOTAMUS
6 – MARCH
7 – NORMAN MAILER
8 = VANDERBILT
9 – REMBRANDT
10 – GENEALOGY
11 – WIFE FIFE
12 – YUKON
13 – BEIJING
14 – CHICAGO
15 – BULGE
16 – BIG DIPPER
17 – PERCUSSION
18 – CALZONE
19 – MECCA
20 – ARIMATHEA
21 – ROSALYNN CARTER
22 – KNOTS
23 – ROBERT BURNS
24 – ZIP LINE
25 – AUSTRALIA
26 – TOP CHEF
27 – CORMAC MCCARTHY
28 – THYROID
29 – READY TO WEAR
30 – BOSTON MASSACRE
31 – BRAHMS
32 – ESTIMATE
33 – HYBRID
34 – PRIMA DONNA
35 – JOHN MAYNARD KEYNES
36 – LANDLOCKED
37 – KINKY BOOTS
38 – JANE AUSTEN
39 – APPENDIX
40 – SWAN LAKE
41 – GALLOWS
42 – HIMALAYAS
43 – LOCAL AREA NETWORK
44 – AMERICAN RED CROSS
45 – MISS MARPLE
46 – VULCAN
47 – IONIC
48 – SCHINDLER’S LIST
49 – WAR OF THE WORLDS
50 - ABDICATE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unkempt posted:

42-44ish, depending on fat finger answers. I had 'j m keynes' for example. Better than the last one, anyway.

What was 'James' the answer for?

Something like "This is the name of the king who was ruling at the time of Shakespeare's death".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That FJ was so easy I got it while fast-forwarding. I can't believe anyone who was alive in 2008 didn't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PSXer posted:

Oh sure, pick the automotive category last and then run out of time with 3 clues left. I see how it is.

Had to laugh at Alex giving the one-minute warning and the next clue being a huge rambling mess with visual aids that boiled down to "identify CO2".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Met posted:

Is that easy or hard? I didn't know it off the top of my head.

I'd say it's one of the most famous pseudonyms in literature, and he comes up on Jeopardy all the time in other contexts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

That's why they didn't tell her opponents about her condition :ssh:

Not at the taping, but the opponents presumably read the news, and the new champ's cool party story has permanently changed from "I beat a five-time winner on Jeopardy" to "I beat a terminal cancer patient on Jeopardy".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
(Catching up), I wondered during Thursday's final whether they would run out of time while trying to write all of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and sure enough someone did :lol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ein cooler Typ posted:

A whole category about the black history museum. Has anyone else noticed Jeopardy! doing more robocop stuff lately?

It's the end of Black History Month.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

4chom code for "social justice warriors"

I think internet-wide is "skeletons", "robocop" was word filter for "sjw" only here on these forums.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

The Forrest Bounce is actually good.

Ban this sick filth

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not how you pronounce Nemea or Darius :psyduck:

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Skeletons took over the writing staff?

Robocop took over the writing staff?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

funktopus posted:

Does anyone else have days when they watch this show and it feels like you click with the clue writers and the answers are intuitive, and then others (like tonight) where it felt like doing a crossword puzzle written by an alien that doesn't like you?

Good, it wasn't just me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does have a month in it if you spell it Juneau :ssh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soothing Vapors posted:

why was there a barely thematic opera clue in the middle of the bold and the beautiful category?

Maybe something went wrong at the last minute and they couldn't use the taped scene for the original clue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I probably got in the low 30s as usual.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skaboomizzy posted:

I took the test last time it was offered, is it too soon for me to take it this time?

I think you only get disqualified if you actually make it into the audition process, I've done it both last year and just now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
33, bleh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, he was pretty bad. Dude looked super uncomfortable. Nerves, likely.

Final tonight took me a bit, but I worked it out in time going from Mars to Ares to Antares.

I spent the whole 30 seconds trying to remember which specific god was the rival of Ares :/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

I can't believe no one got Nostradamus for that FJ. It was pre-rennaissance, there weren't that many good options!

If you focus on the "doctor" part a guy known for writing prophecies doesn't quickly spring to mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shameful pop culture ignorance on Friday, smh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why the incredulity at guessing sloth, Alex? Sloths are classified by their number of toes and it's not unheard of for them to be exotic pets.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That guy's OK, but lol at "Dirk Bentley".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MisterZimbu posted:

I liked how the $2000 Calculus clue was pretty much the first thing you learn in Calculus.

Second thing, after derivatives (which was also a clue).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They forgive stuff that doesn't materially change the answer when it's obvious you know what you mean, like mispronouncing a vowel, so wrong verb tense is a gimme. AFAIK the only time you have to be super-precise is when it's the title of a specific work and even then they'll let slide something like forgetting the "the" at the start (especially in round 1).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unkempt posted:

It was a word question, asking for a specific word. Those are two different words and that was bullshit.

Maybe if he had said American Sniped

Seriously, though, "snipe" and "sniped" are the same word with a different conjugation. If the correct answer had been the noun sniper then he'd have been wrong but it wasn't.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Becoming famous overnight can mess with you, especially when you did it by winning a contest of skill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alex said as much like five seconds after announcing Scarlett as the winner, don't rush away to post so fast next time.

Austin's schtick was fun once or twice but seeing constant affectations and goofery for two weeks was a bit much, I'm glad he's done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I knew from the number of replies that something interesting had happened, but :lol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bleh, news alert stomped on Jeopardy in NYC last night

This derail tho :chloe:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

I was shocked no one got that one right.

I imagine most people's mental image of Marlon Brando is either Vito Corleone or Colonel Kurtz (or maybe Stanley Kowalski if you're a film buff, but then you'd probably get that question anyway just from knowing Oscar history).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Spiciest memelord had too much missionary on her mind.

Spiciest memelord was really mad that she missed a clue that was actually about a meme.

For the final I immediately made the Hamlin connection but didn't know that was literally the guy's name and spent the whole time thinking about whose name could have been modified derivation of it :downs:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was funny for one or two episodes but would have gotten old fast had it gone on for 2 weeks like Austin.