Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Sorry if this was asked or covered, 200+ pages in the thread. But, what’s Alex like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Timby posted:

Beyond that, Ken Jennings has a far too pervading "look how loving smarter I am than you" vibe. I'd bet money that he's auditioned, but the producers aren't going with a weirdo like Ken, and James would be the most annoying host in television history.

I believe Trebek mentioned Laura Coates, from CNN, specifically, as a potential replacement, and I wouldn't have an issue with that in any way. Especially because Trebek himself has said that he fully expects the new host to be a woman.

Laura Coates would be great. But they are gonna go the loving Drew Carey route and ruin Jeopardy forever.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Jeffrey Wright would be a cool guest host. But nope, we get Dr Oz.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

wa27 posted:

There's no way they go with Ken now, right? I think he could have survived the "past comments" blowback had they picked him from the start, but not after this debacle.

Get Joe Buck imo.

There is no way Joe Buck leaves his insane FOX Sports contract to fulltime host Jeopardy, he gets paid something like $6M per year.

I thought he was a great guest host too.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I thought spelling wasn’t an issue in final? Or is it an issue if the spelling adds an extra syllable?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mennoknight posted:

if it changes the sound it's an issue.

Ok thanks, explains tonight’s Final.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The host isn’t supposed to be the star of the show, as we all know, but I feel that Ken surpasses Mayim with his smoothness and ability to keep the game flowing almost exactly like Alex did. He just has it down. And in doing so he’s pretty invisible because his approach works great.

I’d love to see a woman host this show but Mayim isn’t the one.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What’s the single game record for correct answers?

Amy was 41/60 tonight which is insane.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Spokes posted:

leszek, steve chernicoff and brian weikle also had a 41, holzhauer and amodio had 43 each once, ken had a 45 with three misses (!!!)

might be missing some or have incomplete info but i think those are all right

I did some searching and I know James went 40/40 once. Amy had 41 tonight and I don’t know how many misses, but not many.

Ken with 45 and 3 misses is insane to me.

One of the things I really enjoy about Ken hosting is he points out little stats here and there. Tonight being Amy answering 41 correct. He really loves and appreciates the history of the game and it shows.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I enjoy that moment when Amy nails an important answer and you can just see the life drain from the other 2 contestants.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

yea as much as I like close games and all for excitement it's also really fun to see her just nail a daily double and watch the others realize 'oh, it's become objectively impossible for us to win, well beans'.

They smile, but you can see right through it.

I don’t take pleasure in seeing people lose but it’s so satisfying seeing someone like Amy hit that crucial answer that you know ends there game, and the others know it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

zakharov posted:

NY Times just sent a push alert about the results and pissed everyone off lmao

My wife read a Yahoo headline, at 645PM ET, 15 minutes before the show aired, and spoilered it. She didn't tell me though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I hope Mattea keeps going just so Ken has to keep coming out with a monologue of random facts about whatever number of wins she has. Last night was hysterical, he just kept going on about number 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I feel like Ken would 100% ask a contestant “Do You Have Stairs In Your House?” as an interview question because he just seems like he could me smooth and cool with it.