Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I can see Ken doing some of these, like on the Saudi Arabia question just tossing in "yeah, driving cars" but I think he makes it more of a casual aside and it doesn't feel so showy, I guess?'

IDK I don't want to make it sound like I'm just ragging on a woman for a tone thing but I really do think she has a kind of "know-it-all" energy to her hosting that Ken doesn't seem to have.

Yeah I 100% agree with you, she not only comes off as a know it all but also at the same time as someone who knows nothing about the content of the show and the combination of the two is a train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So on the Insider podcast Davies has mentioned he's thinking about letting former contestants back on, especially those who were on the tournaments as kids who are now adults.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I imagine if they do open the "floodgates" it would be with a caveat that X years would have to pass between shows.

But I think it's a good thing overall. There are a lot of excellent quizzers out there who have had their shot. Victoria Groce was on back in 2005. I'd love to see what she could do now, in 2023. I'm personally a much better quizzer than I was back in 2018, and I know a lot of other people who have been on who are in the same situation.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

IMO the rule should be people who haven’t won games (sorry Hookshot) or def like, 3+ games or wherever you want to set the bar. You can’t let Julia back on to crush people for 20 straight games.

I would accept one time winners (so Hookshot doesn’t stay mad at me), but I think it should at most 3-4 games won or whatever. 80,000ish people apply a year as it is.

As long as the new rule re-eligibles me, I'm happy with whatever your opinions are lol.

I have won as many games as Victoria Groce, so I'm hoping this works in my favour.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I read a quiz for Brian in a comp a few weeks ago and he seemed really cool. He was super excited about his upcoming appearance.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

I'm so far behind with my DVR that I should have enough ken episodes plus the ABC tourney to last me through mayim and the off-season.

Same, I’m still on the tournament of champs, suck it people without six months worth of backups to watch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
God drat it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh Ken don't be a scab jesus christ

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Jeopardy's writers aren't union, he's not scabbing.

From the article above:

quote:

Jeopardy!, which is produced by Sony Pictures Television, is a WGA show and features contributions from WGA writers, but the questions were written in advance of a season and the strike.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, she's a bad host but this was the right call and I'm glad she refused to host. I wish Ken had done it as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Mayim is a WGA member. Ken is not. He's not being a scab by taping a day of shows next week, not if the clues were all written prior to the strike.

Were y'all calling Conan and Letterman scabs for going back to work during the last WGA strike, just without material from the writers (so they were all riffing off the cuff)?

Given as Sony has an active picket line and that to get to the set Ken has to cross it...

I was in college last time there was a strike and didn't especially give a poo poo, but yeah, while it might not *technically* count as scabbing it's a lovely look.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm not actually sure the guild has asked non-members to refuse to work on shows they're picketing. It could be scabbing for him to cross the picket line or it could be that it's not, according to what the guild is doing anyway

The closest I can find is this Q&A with a guy from WGA who's been authorized to speak with the media about it. The questions are more about what writers who want to be future WGA members should be doing, or people who are WGA members but have non-writing roles: https://www.moviemaker.com/writers-strike-rules-pre-wga/

quote:

MovieMaker: I saw one writer-director online who said they were going to stop production of their short film now, in solidarity. I don’t know if they intended to sell it to anyone during the strike. But do you have a position on whether that’s the right thing to do?

Christopher Kyle: If they’re doing any kind of work for a covered company — even if the only work they would be doing is directing, because the script is finished — if they’re members, we’re encouraging them not to go forward with that. But that’s not something we can discipline. We can’t discipline someone for serving their director role, even on a script they wrote, if all they’re doing is directing and not doing any writing.

So that’s kind of a tricky area. It’s one where it’s not technically a violation. But we’ve been talking to showrunners on TV, and writer-directors, and encouraging them to postpone their projects, or put their projects on pause until after the strike.

We’re asking them to go beyond the rules themselves. We’re not going to discipline them for doing non-writing work. But we’re asking them in solidarity to not do it.

quote:

MovieMaker: You said “meetings” — that includes any meeting with a representative of a signatory in which you even talk hypothetically about a project?

Christopher Kyle: Even if it’s just a general meeting, like a “getting to know you,” not talking about a specific project. The spirit of the strike is that we’re trying to shut down the industry, and anything that can keep the wheels turning is something that is not helping us. So all our members, and anyone aspiring to be a member, should not be meeting with those companies right now.

So while this doesn't explicitly say that anyone who's not a member should refuse to work on a show that's being picketed, their goal is to shut down production on the shows, and so I think it's reasonable to assume the guild would consider J! going ahead during an active picket to be scabbing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You're all right, I should have said crossing a picket line instead of scabbing.

Bialik isn't a member of WAG either, but she is part of SAG-AFTRA.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

Absolute lol

The lawyer couldn't answer "firm" as the place that lawyers work at.

Sometimes when you're too close to something, you absolutely loving flub it.

I, a person who has written over 100 murder mystery novels and do this as my job, have missed a question on Agatha Christie in the past. It just happens, and it happens even more when you're under SO MUCH PRESSURE to not look like an idiot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

How much pressure do you feel when you play the board game Clue ?

Not nearly as much as I feel when I'm out here committing actual murders. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to actually get caught?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Karma is gonna be you get busted for a murder and the person who catches you shares the same name as one of the heroes in your books.

Please I'm never getting caught, I'm too smart for that.

Hubris is a hell of a drug.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

rockinricky posted:

I had to unfollow Jeopardy on Facebook because they would have obvious spoilers posted by noon.

Yeah, they stopped doing this (I started following them again since I'm like six months behind and gently caress it, I'm not going to remember a random social media post from today in December) as badly as they used to, when it was like "HERE'S THE ANSWER TO TODAY'S FINAL IN A GIANT IMAGE" posted seven hours before the episode aired in my market, but they still post the video for final every night hours before the game.

Like, come on, it's not that hard to just do it the next day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They should fix this problem by letting former contestants back on.

(I haven't actually seen any of these episodes mentioned)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, Ray rules.

Chris, Hannah and Troy (that I know of) have also said they won't show up in solidarity if they choose to go ahead with this, so it's going to be the most laughable ToC of all time if the top four seeds all refuse to show up and they still go ahead with it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Second and third place prizes are going up to 3k and 2k

They're also running S40 as a "second chance" tournament for people in S37 and S38, although I personally know of some people who have been contacted who won multiple games so who the gently caress knows, but this is using a mix of old clues that never got used, and recycled clues, because OF COURSE IT IS.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've been seeing some rumors that Miyam may not return to Jeopardy in season 40. So far they just seem to be rumors, but supposedly Ken has already replaced her as Celebrity Jeopardy host.

That latter part is confirmed, because she's on strike and he isn't. They're using material for Celebrity J! that was written before the writer's strike.

I wouldn't be surprised if this strike ends up getting Mayim pushed out permanently over Ken. He did the majority of the hosting during the season, including the last couple of weeks. People are just used to having him and almost exclusively him on their TVs now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm still months behind but TBH have no interest in these upcoming tournaments, despite friends of mine actually being involved in them. The fact that there are no new contestants until next April is absolutely wild, and means I don't have any incentive to get through the four or so more months of new episodes on my PVR.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I play a bunch of online leagues now, that generally have harder content than Jeopardy. I don't mind watching J! still, it's its own separate thing, but I don't do it because I think it's hard level trivia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah she also posted a video on TikTok: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjs6Ysw1/

Given her well-documented pro-Israel views this isn’t exactly a surprise but ugh.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, that final was unquestionably Cook, and I say that as someone who literally last week almost flubbed the question of "who did Patrick Stewart play in Star Trek".

The 1900s were two centuries after the 1700s.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Bialik is OUT

HookShot fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 16, 2023

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

I still watch every day, but I agree that these tournaments aren't grabbing me at all. They've certainly taped everything through the rest of the year (earlier this week, there was a chyron saying that the episode had been taped in early October; the answer to the question was Matthew Perry), so I'm hoping they wrap up soon and we get to Season 40 episodes proper.

In any event, every now and again I chuckle at the thought of Yogesh sitting at home and alternating between pouting and fuming that he wasn't invited to any of these tourneys.

There are no new contestants until April of next year, because of all the tournaments.

Timby posted:

In any event, every now and again I chuckle at the thought of Yogesh sitting at home and alternating between pouting and fuming that he wasn't invited to any of these tourneys.

Yogesh got an automatic invitation to the Tournament of Champions either last week or two weeks ago. He's not in any of them because he's bypassing them entirely.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, a few people who didn’t get to five wins got auto invites and he’s one of them.

Tbh he probably deserves the spot, he is a top-level trivia player.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are a lot of quizzers in the UK that would destroy James. I wouldn’t base it on a single week of J! over there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I play in an online OC league that’s expanded to a US league as well as a UK one, that’s mainly made up of trivia people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not surprised the question disappeared, just because there's no editorializing doesn't mean it's not hard for some people to read questions about an ongoing genocide.

It's the same reason why a lot of women insisted that there not be questions about Dobbs v Jackson in the aftermath of Roe v Wade being overturned. You don't want to read about lovely things happening to you/people close to you/people from your same demographic while they're still happening.

Anyway yeah LL is fun, it also takes a bit to get used to the question style. You might not move around a lot, I went from R to C to B to A over the course of about three years and while I came VERY close to being relegated from A a couple of times, I started in 88 so in 11 seasons I've only moved three times, and that includes the post-R shift after season one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why would you ring in on that last clue. It amazes me how people this dumb get on this show.

I haven't seen the episode in question but it sounds like there was a tie or just barely a runaway? I can tell you from personal experience that you do not know what your own score is for much of the game. I knew at the beginning of rounds, before daily doubles, and at the end of rounds. The rest of the time I didn't have the opportunity to look at the scores at all. It's on the other side of the room from the board, way up high, and you're just focused on the clues and the game.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

but next tuesday will be the start of regular episode taping again (per this website which i have not done anything to verify: https://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/roadmap40.html)
Yes, I can confirm this coming Tuesday is the start of regular episode taping.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I finished 13th in my rundle in LL (I’m in A and trying to qualify for the LLRC) but literally faced relegation on the last day then won on defense.

I didn’t play especially badly but I finished second in my rundle in CAA, basically everyone I played had the day of their life against me this season :negative:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hate the endless tourneys but tbh I’m super excited for this upcoming one. As someone who has recently been crushed by Victoria I am so excited to see her up on that stage again, she is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Plus, I think a lot of James' cockiness on the show is a persona. I don't think he has a problem with confidence irl but he's embraced the branding of 'Jeopardy villain' and goes with it (e.g: the 'final boss' stuff). But he always seems to shake people's hands after the games and seems to genuinely congratulate their success. In person I think he'd be perfectly fine.

Yogesh's being an rear end in a top hat is evidently just his personality.

I have it on very good authority that this is not the case and James is very much an rear end in a top hat IRL.