Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
*Brushes off cobwebs* Hello? Anyone here?

Hmm, Old Canucks decals, SAG-AFTRA strike poster, LearnedLeague request to a reta...wait, that one's mine. Guess nobody wants the tournaments of repeat questions and a Hofstra grad but I digress. Let's see, 10/25 CJ!:

Mira Sorvino
Adam Rodriguez
Peter Schrager

Probably have a better shot of finding actual WWE fans in the WWE thread these days...

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

i've watched more wwe than jeopardy this year and i haven't watched a lot of wwe.

My reasons are more familial why I watch WWE these days but I do have concerns if Ken will be blamed for a ratings slump rather than lack of interest due to strike(s)/tournaments

I stopped playing J6 though

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guess a question then is where do quiz shows belong in the modern age? Trivia will always exist and proverbial oceans of knowledge are available at ones fingertips. The money is going to subscription services that don't rely on a linear schedule and cheaper programming exists in court and talk shows to say nothing of shows whose costs were paid off decades ago and exist to help pay newer debts like costs of IT infrastructure.

If CBS calls it a day on distribution, Sony likely moves it and Wheel to Netflix given their ties (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Seinfeld, US House of Cards) but loses its key advantage of being network filler.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
All Saints' Day CJ!

Dulé Hill
Sheryl Underwood
Peter Facinelli

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Oh, new activity. Is it about...(checks thread) Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope with a side of Nope. I am NOT touching this one.

So...who's watching Celebrity Jeopardy!?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
11/15 CJ! Interesting matchup in my opinion

Macaulay Culkin
Rachel Dratch
Becky Lynch

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Other episodes have had dumb contestants or endless nonsense delaying the game. This one cranked both up to 11.

There was a triple stumper....in the category "Horse, Hog, or Dog" :suicide:

If I have to listen to Sheryl Underwood ever again, it'll be too soon. I'd rather listen to Carrie Underwood & I HATE country music. I was red in the face yelling at their incompetence and yet she realized being negative for Final was bad which two other people this tournament couldn't comprehend.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Today's Final was terribly written. 200 years after 1774 would be 1974. Star Trek had been off the air for five years in 1974.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (billed at the time as Star Trek) was on the air in 1974

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I assume the gatekeepers want the person to be in the TOC or Masters tournaments.

Honestly, it's a bit overused than I would like but they made it to the Trebek stage, they can bring it as much as they want. They haven't banned the Forrest Bounce so they won't ban this.

Now if they mentioned how Sam's friends are now fish chum at the bottom of the Atlantic, that's worthy of a all out rear end whooping.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Final CJQFs

Tomorrow: Cynthia Nixon, Cedric the Entertainer, Heather McMahan

12/6: Kyra Sedgwick, Mo Rocca, Amanda Seales

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^ It's not bad, especially in acting but Stone's idea of why it happened doesn't hold up ^

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I wasn't watching; what'd she do (or not do)?

She kept not using the question phrasing for starters

Doesn't help when one person openly gives up mid game and another kept talking after being ruled on while saying the correct response in doing so.

It also ended on a triple stumper

They would all get smoked at my bar trivia.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2023

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I was kicking around the same idea about the test; the implication I get is she might help out with the specials, but I can't imaging her lining up to host Jeopardy Masters unless Ken gets the urge to pick up his signalling device again.

I think he and Buzzy are DQed due to having hosted.

It does sound like the door is still open for primetime Celebrity Jeopardy which would be a better fit for her but otherwise Ken is in firm control.

If this is the end, I can't say I'd miss her presence but it still must sting for her losing two shows in one year. Her schedule with Call Me Kat threw off developing her voice but ultimately in my opinion she didn't seem to try to improve between her tryout and her semi-regular time on the show.

Now watch her win best drama at the Emmys for rebooting Blossom

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Can we maybe not be doing weird speculation about why Bialik was fired? I'm perfectly fine with taking Sony at their word, that they feel it's better to have one host on the syndicated program instead of goofy alternating hosts throughout season 40. It makes perfect sense to want to have one consistent face of the show.

I agree. It's none of our business.

It took 3 years and more weirdness than a primetime soap opera but it's over. The battle for the Iron Lecture between newscasters, sports announcers, a active NFL Quarterback, a astroturfing campaign, real/TV doctors and a attempted coup ends with the confirmed goat of the game becoming its master.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In a bit of a coincidence, Ken's initial run of $2.5M in 2004 comes out roughly today via inflation as $4M so he's making the same amount in terms of buying power as from back then but with the clues and correct responses in hand this time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
SAG-AFTRA explicitly allowed members to be on game shows & Network Code allowed it to be on the air.

The weird part is how much Sony bent over backwards for her and she still spit in their proverbial face. Almost as if she never wanted the job in the first place.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

blast0rama posted:

Does this mean Wil Wheaton did a public mea culpa for his "THE NORTH REMEMBERS" speech about Ken on Facebook, or is that idle threat still in the air?

I doubt he has, I don't recall if the AFL-CIO head has either for similar reasons.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm watching the first episode of UK (hooray VPNs) and it's a bit rough honestly. The first clue read about novels explained badly is about a short story. Stephen bungled the full term of a acronym and they kept it (No budget for a retape?) & a clue about nosebleeds advocated for tilting your head back which I know from experience is incorrect.

They also started the game in the middle position. He also said that responses had to start with what or who and went on a fairly long tangent on Oscar Wilde's grave. I guess it's padding due to being a hour (why?)

I understand it'll be different but IMO needs some tweaking. Stephen is a better host than Mayim at least.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I did get that as well. It's not my cup of tea but ignoring its influence in music is foolhardy.

On that note, I've watched the first week on the UK Jeopardy so I have some thoughts:

The first episode with hindsight as I noted is a bit rough so feel free to start with episode 2 onward
This is not a 1 to 1 conversion of the US version. This has to fit with UK daytime TV standards (de facto and de jure) so temper your expectations. It's a budget Jeopardy more akin to the Fleming era.
The pace of play is definitely slower and you will feel like wanting a button to speed the show up about 25%
It's a bit odd how the 1st-4th clues in a category go in increments of £25 (£50 in Double) but the difference doubles for the last clue
About a third of clues will be UK specfic. Also, there will likely be a clue about Michelle Obama, I don't know why.
Apparently, some the contestants have been in other quiz shows in the UK. Given how they played, James would've chewed them up for (English) breakfast then flexed like Shawn Michaels before a Wrestlemania match. To be fair, he'd do it to us too.
Finally, there's Stephen. If you're familar with his work on QI, his shows with Hugh Laurie or elsewhere, there's no change here. He can get long winded about responses though I suspect padding is involved and goes into TMI about his own life (read: any part of it) on occasion (I skip the interviews so no idea there) but he's likely the reason the show is on the air.

Overall, I'd say it's a worse version but not a bad version

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Interesting choice today for UK Final Jeopardy: The clue was who is Europe's only reigning queen left with QEII's death.

The same queen who announced her abdication on 1/1 and formally steps down in three days.

Now I'm curious how the UK film their game shows. Also, given how they put disclaimers in for the US version, shouldn't it be the same elsewhere even if the clue is technically correct?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gaz-L posted:

I think if episodes of quizzes are repeated (such as on Challenge, basically the UK's version of GSN) there's often a brief 'originally broadcast dd/mm/yy, answers correct at time of broadcast' on screen or in the credits.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? did something similar noting its date of recording due to the changing of Europe during its run. I assumed the news would've had a disclaimer but technically correct is the best type of correct less someone in Boston, Lincolnshire misinterpreted what happened

As for the US version. Safe to say the day 2 match may be a bit anticlimactic

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

haveblue posted:

They’ve added dates on first-run shows due to the taping delay before

That's what I thought they'd do for UK J! but different country, different rules.

Has anyone listened to the play in games? It's mostly the same but seemed to me Buzzy switched to decaf and you lose track of what the scores are though that's probably more accurate to being on stage.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I gave up on UK J! after they made a couple of screwups this week.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I got notified that my LearnedLeague application is off the waitlist and it's now being processed with a start date of 2/12. Anything I should know that isn't on the site itself?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I suppose the Go axiom of losing your first 100 games quickly somewhat applies here. Get accustomed to the ways of the game and not to worry as much about the W/L record in the introductory season

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 23, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm not going to touch that question with a 23ft/7m pole since it's a no win situation. You will piss someone off talking about it and seems odd they'd put it up.

The question structure seems equally odd. A fairly wordy intro, the question buried in the middle then a less wordy conclusion meant to clue you in to the answer. I guess compared to Jeopardy it's Charles Dickens vs Ernest Hemingway in authorship

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok, I watch The Floor since it's on right after Celebrity Jeopardy (I'm annoyed that Katie and Mo both missed a easy Final, they should know better) and while it's not Jeopardy, it is not the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine). Deal or No Deal is more damning.

The game is 81 people in their own space on the floor competing for $250k (should be larger) by going head to head in categories that one player INTENTIONALLY picked as their field of specialty (someone chose food and office supplies). Each player gets 45 seconds on the clock. Get an answer correct and your clock stops and play moves to the other person. Miss and you lose 3 seconds. Run out of time and you're out of the game, the winner absorbs that space and takes on the other person's category if they were the one challenged (That part is a bit fuzzy for me) so a person who that Simpsons guest stars could inherit math equations as their field. If you have the most spaces at episode's end, you win $20k (split if people tie) so a incentive to challenge is there.

It reminds me of rapid chess is this regard. Yes, it's not the classic version but it has its own structure that makes it compelling at least to me. If you don't like it, read Don Quixote or count your Morgan dollar collection or listen to Beethoven's Eroica symphony. Those haven't gone away because Rob Lowe's career went from West Wing to this. The internet only makes us stupid only if we choose to be.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
With Celebrity Jeopardy over, I'm not interested in watch The Floor by itself but the hyperbole was a bit too much. I was also watching it with a parent as well.

Any idea if the UK version comes back? I think they only taped 20 episodes

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPColin posted:

Catching up with Thursday's game and hooray at a contestant giving a response that was already a question without adding "what is"!

If only J6 recogized this. It makes me add it when the correct response is a question otherwise I have to wait the 10 or so seconds in order to repeat it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
With LL100 wrapping up Monday, would it be plausible to take the data of known Jeopardy contestants in either the TOC or JIT & Learned League and compare them against one another (or goons)?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why wait!

This season, ChanB2 has had 112 correct answers so far, MeyerT has 117, RautY has 125.

Of the semifinalists, SibleyD has 100, BarinholtzI has 65, WatsonJ4 has 120.

I have 65 :).

I have 87 and Rundle B waiting for me (I'm winning my R Rundle and can't be lower than 2nd).

I was thinking in terms of where everyone finishes at the end on Mon/Tue but if anyone wants to start bragging, have at it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He of all people is probably best qualified to talk about how lovely a host she was....and he did.

There are probably only a handful of contestants who can say they've played games with both hosts. I've talked to two of them now and both vehemently hate Mayim and love Ken. Specifically my lawyer went on about how great Ken is off camera working the audience and putting the contestants at ease. Apparently Mayim was very self-centered off camera, she definitely wasn't offering tips to struggling contestants or answering audience questions. Maybe that changed later in her hosting tenure, both the guys I spoke to were on during the chaos era, but I doubt it.

It'd be interesting to pick Matt's brain on this since he's played games with 7 hosts (Robin, LaVar, David, Joe, Mike, Mayim, Ken). Granted, 4 (or 5) were in the chaos era

Also, with Ken entrenched as the host and Buzzy as the emergency backup, we shouldn't have to deal with this ever again.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Learned League 100 has ended. Thanks to Pinterest Mom for finding the profiles

Ben finished 2nd in his A Rundle (Harbor)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?69166

Troy won his A Rundle (Nebula), his 3rd in a Row

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?13493

Yogesh finished 2nd in his A Rundle (Typhoon)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?23085

In known semifinalists:

David won his A Rundle (Sahara)

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?36672

Ike finished 19th in Rundle D Pacific Div 2. He can still brag about working with Mel Brooks.

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?4437

Surprising, Jared finished last in his A Rundle (Delta). The TCA doesn't match up though, is this a different person?

https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?52390

Also, some moron won his rookie rundle but let's have some better goons (which are all of them) post about how they did.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Congrats to Zaheer...uh, Yogesh for his TOC win

Also, any NYC goons interested in this?

https://www.edgenyc.com/en/jeopardy

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I for one would like to congratulate a Mr. Nayak of Singapore for beating Yogesh in his Rundle (and H2H) if this is how Yogesh acts out publicly.

For anyone inquiring, Yogesh won every one of his Rundles in 2022 thus his comments and came in 2nd in the 2017 LL Championship which was his highest ever finish. By comparsion, Troy has won it all 4 times.

For LLC 2023, Troy was 5th, Yogesh was 45th and Ben didn't come close

If one would allow me to opine, trivia much less Jeopardy isn't the end all be all of human existence. Just because you remember what cytoplasm is or who won the Stanley Cup in 1924 or you can pronounce Tenochtitlan without your mouth feeling mushy doesn’t mean you’re King or Queen poo poo of the Mountain. It means you know three things in the trillions and trillions of trivia points that exist in the cosmos.

Yogesh is a trivia point and so are Troy and Ben. So are you reading this post. Several goons have been on Jeopardy and a couple have won a game but Jeopardy only defines a single digit amount people in history and even then it's probably better to be defined by how people cared about you rather than just knowing stuff about stuff.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Did anyone do the anytime test yesterday given Jeoparday? I heard a few people complain the questions were harder but I think it was easier than the last few times I tried it. At least there wasn't a question on Silberius this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pinterest Mom posted:

Watching last night's masters: lol @ James writing ラスボス (rasu bosu/last boss) on his podium.

I assumed it was James but of course he would write that. Also :laffo: at him attending the Super Bowl with pinkeye

Also didn't know hockey had a dingbat font and that James used it. He'll probably use some combination of Big/Winged Eagle, Brahma Bull, Smoking Skull and that idiotic neck tattoo of Cody's next.