Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Frankie gets mostly ignored because he just doesn't demand as much attention as Moses. With the ridiculous rotation of dogs I'm having to do combined with my parents ridiculous and asinine dog rules, it means that I just do not get to spend much one on one time with him and he is mostly a background character. He used to have a ton of personality and be sassy as heck, and since I've lived with my parents he has slowly shut down because he's always being shoo'd or ignored in favor of Moses- because if Moses doesn't get enough exercise, attention, or training, he becomes unmanageable in the house and stops tolerating Frankie. If Frankie doesn't get attention, he just accepts it and goes and lays down somewhere. :( I have a lot of guilt over it and am looking forward to making up for a year of bullshit after we move to our new house this weekend. I'm going to spoil him and give him so many Privileges and make him feel Fancy again abloooo guilt :qq:

My mice are bred too young, too often, and are overcrowded. They eat amazingly and are cleaned regularly, but I house 6 or 7 mice in a bin fit for maybe half that. My males are kept individually in critter keepers that are way too small. They're about to get a massive housing upgrade since I'll actually have space to dedicate to them after the move, but tbh my males will probably be housed in too small cages and they'll prob still be kinda crowded. I dunno, mice. v:shobon:v

I have no desire to interact with rats anymore and should not have them as pets, but I grew up with them and they are such a staple of my life that everything feels weird if I don't have one, so I keep one or two at a time in a tank. They eat well and are clean and play with each other, but they get very little attention and are treated more like hamsters than anything and 12 year-old-me would be livid if they saw that I keep a rat or two in a tank and ignore them just because "I Have Rats Because I Do."

I am inconsistent with my dogs and occasionally yell at them. I also will encourage obnoxious behaviors one minute because they are funny, and then scold them for it later when I'm busy and they're bothering me.

Sometimes when I'm tired i don't walk Moses and then I yell at him to go lay down when he starts bouncing off the walls but it isn't often I promise waaaaaah :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I now understand what I was doing. I was going through a whole shitload of problems and I figured that if I loved and cared for All the Abandoned Animals then all my problems would magically go away. Nope, it didn't work. It took a long time before I realized that the only way I would be happy (animal wise) was to only keep a few and spoil them rotten. I haven't adopted or bought anything since I got Riley, 2 years ago.

Yeah that was basically my mindset. I was fat and unmedicated and in a really e/n "relationship" with a whole lot of emotional abuse involved and Saving All The Pets was basically all I had for a while. If I spent 24/7 obsessing over, acquiring, and ~saving~ animals, I didn't have to confront the reality of my life and also got to feel like and pretend everything wasn't completely hosed up and unhealthy. I started out with a totally healthy number of animals, but the person I was with would, at random, get rid of one of them when I wasn't home and then claim they knew nothing about it and sometimes, legitimately get me to question whether I even actually owned that animal at all. The emotional fallout from this led to me acquiring more and more pets, in some kind of weak crazy person attempt at control + filling the deepening emotional void of disappearing animals. Save the pets, save all the pets, everything is fine!!

I've had the same 2 dogs since I began the process of getting the gently caress away from this person. Turns out I'm not a hoarder when I'm not being gaslighted.

Honestly, this is a huge reason I poo poo on ~rescue ladies~ and rescue animals, some kind of weird reactionary emotional defense mechanism against Caring About Animals so basically don't listen to me PI, I'm mean and am not over my old dogs and need more therapy

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Oh, and when I had mice I discovered I should not take care of things in cages because I really need my animals to be able to sit on my chest and demand that I take care of them when I'm in a depressive streak, because otherwise I just don't.

Yeeeah when I feel myself taking a downward turn I move an animal with a water bottle into my bedroom so that if it gets low, the clicking of the empty bottle will keep me awake and I will be forced to water the rats and mice.

On a less depressing note, I actively encourage my dogs to hump each other and then laugh at them until it hurts their feelings.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Also I am selling my snake because he is very boring and I need the money.

^5 buddy, I am selling 2 of my 3 leopard geckos because they are boring and I am moving and I want the money. I'm keeping the retarded one because it's broken and needs to be hand fed most of the time, unless I find someone who really wants a broken leopard gecko and will actually feed it and keep it warm.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

Whenever I see people forking out looooads for rat/small animal surgeries I feel like total poo poo because I will not do that. Ever. I am a student, and would rather put my money toward food/housing/emergency funds for my dogs than for my rats. If my rats get tumors I will assess their quality of life until it starts to decline, then take them to be euthed. I do not have the money or inclination for rat surgeries.

I am a dick :negative:

I only forked out a ton for rat surgeries at my craziest, because if I spend a ton on rat surgeries, I'm the best pet owner ever, right???

Not gonna lie: if anything besides a dog gets sick, its pretty much SOL. Anything that can be treated with antibiotics (or basic cleaning and stuff in the case of wounds) will be treated if it's a rat or a reptile. If it's a mouse, it MIGHT get over the counter feed store antibiotics if I feel like it, if not I just euth it if it doesn't look like it's gonna get better on its own. I will baby older rats and give them 1 level cages and help them eat and keep them on antibiotics if necessary and do whatever I can to keep them comfortable, but if any kind of vet bill runs over about a hundred bucks it usually becomes a matter of management until it's obvious they're not happy anymore.

...Unless I just happen to REALLY like that animal for whatever reason, and then I will meltdown over it and spend whatever I can so basically I am horrible and play favorites. :(

I am at least psycho about my dogs and if anything happened to either of them I'd spend every penny of my savings and then start selling poo poo and begging family members for loans to get them seen about.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Rixatrix posted:

I was bitterly disappointed in Rho when it became clear he is a gunshy worrier and more than a bit odd and it wasn't going to go away. So long dreams of making the SAR team and winning trials effortlessly in agility!

Oddly enough once I got over the disappointment and came to terms with the fact that he is what he is, I started to be able to enjoy working with him again. I still felt horrible for being disappointed in him and I'll probably feel guilty about it forever.

I got really disappointed when Moses turned out overly emotional and smart and weird, in spite of knowing that his breeding could result in exactly that. I feel bad because he's a really cool dog and I actually really like how challenging it is to figure out his brain- and then when I DO figure out his crazy leaps of dog logic, I'm always really impressed at just how smart and perceptive he is and how much he understands, and the hilarious filters his "gently caress all dogs" emotions throw over that logic...but then my sperg kicks in and I get mad that he isn't the way he "should" be, and then I feel guilty for caring that my dog doesn't have a temperament that assuages my nerdiness. I get mad when he freaks out about poo poo because "a good pit bull wouldn't know what the gently caress is even going on, oh my god shut up and stop staring at cats because I tripped over you and stepped on your tail in the hallway earlier and didn't spend 10 minutes telling you it was okay. Go be normal."

He is a good dog and it isn't his fault he's anxious, and I get mad at him for not being dumb and oblivious enough. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsowelp posted:

Dan turned into a humourless lump after we got him neutered. He went from being a personable, busy, well built little guy to a lazy, listless fatty. I still love him, but I miss my awesome dog and definitely regret the operation. If I have another boydog in the future I will always vasectomise if possible.

I blame not neutering Moses on laziness and it is partially that but also because I don't want it to change his personality. I firmly believe that everyone who says that neutering doesn't change a dog's personality either 1) got their dog neutered so early it didn't matter 2) had a dog that was fat a boring anyway (average lump dog) or 3) just isn't very perceptive. I have met very few non boring dogs who did not change in SOME way post neuter- often for the better, but change is change.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

tsc posted:

My gecko is another retard. He can't eat crickets because they move, and worms outfox him sometimes. As a dumb normal male with no documentation, he's mine until he kicks it.

Mine got stepped on by a coworker's kid (not maliciously, just don't buy a fragile animal and hand it to a 5 year old :downs:
,) and then they gave her to me because she stopped eating as a result. One of her pupils is now forever dilated, so there's definitely something wrong with her neurologically, but she's sassy and angry and likes to Be Warm and Attempt To Eat Everything But Miss so she can be broken and retarded with me I guess. Sitting next to a tank individually handing mealworms to a brain damaged lizard as not something I ever planned on doing, but!!!!

(To make this a confession: I secretly like that gecko, she's so mean and dumb :3:)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'm pretty obnoxiously dog racist too and reactively wrinkle my nose at like every dog I see and then I feel bad about it. Really I think it's more that I pass judgements about people based on the type of dog they own and how their dog looks and I know that's really dumb. I don't ever want to pet anyones dog unless I see someone with a really nice pibble and then I will go up and feel them out to see if they can have dogchat- nice pibbles with people who know about them aren't uncommon around here so I do get to have some nice conversations every once in a while.

But I spend the majority of my pet store trips rolling my eyes and stepping around people's dogs and I am sure no one notices but if they did, I would look like a giant douche.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Judge me for my deaf retarded Toller please just for comedy tell me what you would think IRL :v:

I've never met or seen a toller irl so if I saw one I would probably just assume it was some kind of boring mutt and ignore it but if I knew it was actually a toller I would tell people I saw a toller today but I wouldn't ask you questions about it because I'd assume you were a dumbass and got it to be ~unique~ and don't do anything cool with it and then when you told me it was deaf I'd tack "rescue martyr" on the end of my mental judgement of you and say "Well she seems like a nice dog" and leave whilst rolling mine eyes

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

but it's okay because if I saw you out with Frankie I'd have the "ugh look at that disgusting trainwreck smashface thing I bet it smells loving awful" response anyway I judge people by their dogs too

Confession facts: After my ex obliterated My Dogs (and my house, livestock, independence, insert e/n here,) Punchy was the one that was left and the last thing I took from the whole situation. I was slowly beginning to realize poo poo was hosed and I was being emotionally abused when he informed me that pit bulls were so massively banned at the base we were moving to that Punchy would be seized and euthanized immediately if I were "so selfish" (his words) as to try and take him with us. He had eliminated all of my other dogs and ruined my life/credit, and then p much went for the kill by going after the last thing I had and the only thing I took out of the situation.

Rehomed Punchy out of terror that he would be killed, and then said "oh my god I can never own a pit bull again, I lose all of the dogs, all of the dogs are gone forever, if I get a pit bull he will take it from me" and then in my crazy, decided that "well a boston terrier is like a sad companion stealth pit bull!!!" and was between that, and a Patterdale (whith a patterdale, at least I sort of had a functional dog.) Frankie just HAPPENED to appear when he did, shortly after I needlessly rehomed Punchy, and I got him because "maybe he won't take this dog away from me if it is not an actual pit bull."

Basically, he always hated my dogs and the fact that I was a dog lady. He loved small dogs for no reason, but only as long as they didn't inconvenience him. The Puggle (Mikey) that PI got all mad about because I didn't want to keep? He brings this dog home, a year after losing my house and ruining my credit and taking all my dogs away, and says we're going to foster it. Whenever I try to rehome it he shits a brick. multiple fights are had about how I am a selfish bitch because I keep trying to take his dog away (lol oh my god) and then finally, it pissed on our cable box and shorted it out and SUDDENLY it was fine to rehome him. (Because he is a bad person!)

Shortly after, I started the process of leaving- but yeah, Frankie is the result of being with a horrible person and me attempting to have something sort of like a pit bull, because if I owned an actual pit bull, he'd find a way to get rid of it.

In the divorce, he tried to physically take Frankie. He slammed me against a door and I had to block him from leaving with him. Moses flipped out and got between us and got in his face and roared until he scared him into leaving. (omg incorrect, euthanize incorrect pit bull)

That is how Frankie happened. pi facts :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I feed my parent's obese chihuahua food off my plate and treats in between freaking out at them about his weight.

He's already too fat to live, what's one more turd on poo poo mountain?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Since I've been moving and preparing to move for about a week, neither of the dogs have been walked or gotten like any attention except "here, food, now go lay down." Moses is turning into a massive turd and I keep yelling at him for trying to find things to do. He doesn't get destructive, he just stops listening and is all "haha you haven't walked me in three days, gently caress YOU" when I yell at him for the 100th time not to move or breathe or have a thought because he is in the way. I finally caved and stopped what I was doing to let him do some springpole last night but I could only sit around flatly repeating "good dog get it. good dog get it" for him for so long before I had to pack more poo poo. So far we have had two Frankie fights, one completely ignored recall, several ignored "leave it's" at the puppy, and one puppy face mauling. (The puppy is bigger than him now, and was happy about it.)

You'd think I would like, stop packing and take my dog for a bike ride but NOPE GOTTA PACK AND YELL AT THE DOG FOR GOING STIR CRAZY.

Today after work I'm taking him with me while I make runs to the new house, I'll put some poo poo in bags for him to carry and it'll be like he's helping and maybe he'll go lay the gently caress down for a few hours after that.

edit: cant spell @ 6am

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 3, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Lmao I use retractable leashes when I'm hiking or in an unpopulated area and want to let Moses explore. He has good recall but I wouldn't trust him off leash if he suddenly saw someone with a dog, so retractable leash is the compromise. It's me, I'm the guy with the flexi-lead.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pew! Pew! posted:

Confession-wise, I got a dog when I was 10 and went through the whole I PROMISE TO WALK THEM EVERY DAY AND FEED THEM routine. Which I did, until I got on medication for depression/ADD/bipolar/flavor of the week pillz and would sometimes forget for two or three days to feed her (outside dog, but she had a water fountain thing so that was rarely out) because I was too busy staring blankly at walls. Went through a good chunk of my teenage years stoned on meds, neglected my dog, I think I might've accidentally killed someone's hamster too by not getting it water (I honestly have a hard time remembering that but my mom swears that happened).
The moral is that if your under the influence of anything you probably shouldn't be trusted with the care of an animal, but at least the dog is okay. She's about 12 or 13 now I think? Tenacious as ever. :3:

I had the opposite problem- I was slammed with crippling depression and anxiety right around adolescence (and a host of other complicated brain problems) that went undiagnosed for a long time. I *begged* my parents to take me to a doctor at various points but they wrote everything off as typical teenage angst (a really obnoxious mopey South Park Goth phase didn't help) and as a result I probably killed a buttload of unfortunate small pets over the years. Many poorly cared for reptiles (part of it was ignorance, the fact that the internet was young and info on proper pet care was nowhere neeeearly as accessible as it is today contributed) were the main thing, but I'm pretty sure during bouts of bad depression, I neglected some hamsters and gerbils to death.

The biggest one that I still feel guilty about it a rabbit I had when I was about 15. She was in a hutch outside and had an automatic waterer and I would forget to feed her for days. Went outside finally one day and she was very dead, and had been for a few days at least. I still have nightmares about that one.

Now that I take a bunch of pills and force myself to go outside, I take pretty good care of my pets, so. I haven't starved anything since I was 18 or 19 at least!! :smith:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

demozthenes posted:

I think it's hilarious when people get working-bred dogs with no intention of letting the dog do the job it was bred for. A pet-bred whatever can sit in your yard and do ~*~agility~*~ (but only on the weekends when the weather is nice) just as well as a working-line Patterdale or ranch-bred border collie without being so miserable in the downtime. If you want to be "serious" about dog sports for some reason then go talk to a sports breeder, but leave the hunting dogs to the hunters and the herding breeds to the ranchers. It just smacks of wasted potential and wasted money for the sake of being able to talk about your Super Special Status Symbol Dog.

My boss never shuts up about her ~FIELD BRED LAB~ and it has spent 9 years sitting in a pen. She bird hunts, but never involves the dogs because "if we took her once, she'd like it so much she'd never shut up if we wanted to go and didn't want to take her." :psyduck:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

RetroVirus posted:

Oh god how could I forget this. When I was 15 I was a spoiled brat and wanted a second dog. I wanted a white german shepherd and there was a probably lovely breeder in bumfuck Florida. My parents had put a deposit down and everything for the future pup... but then in the newspaper I saw ~*~*WOLF HYBRID PUPPIES*~*~ and so they paid 700 for a probably husky/shepherd mix.

He was cool but as a teen I thought all dogs were just dogs duhh, if my collie mutt listens to me and poo poo won't this one!!??

My parents had to put him in the shelter because we obviously could not handle it. I can't forgive myself, being a stupid teen isn't a good excuse.

It's okay. When I was a teenager I wanted another dog and threw a poo poo fit for this BYB AKita I found at animal control. I wanted him solely because he was pretty. I knew that they were "A DOMINANT BREED" but I watched Cesar Milan and grew up with dogs and was pro as hell so I was gonna do great. :smug:

After about a year of alpha rolling him and screaming TSST at him, he was reduced to wearing a basket muzzle 24/7 because I absolutely refused to rotate him with my other dogs and he wouldn't stop attacking them. Rotating him would have been "letting him be dominant" and dictate what I and the other dogs did, you see. He was crazy and stressed and hated everyone and began obsessively licking furniture to cope with how badly I'd messed him up.

Finally I rehomed him through a rescue and someone with primitive breed experience took him. I feel incredibly guilty about it- he was a good dog and none of his behavior was inappropriate for an akita and if anything, he had an easy/soft temperament for one before I ruined him. He is the only dog I have ever screwed up and seeing what I'd done to his brain was the catalyst for 19 y/0 me realizing that dominance based training was retarded.

If it helps, last I heard he is normal and happy now in a home that understands him. :( I saw his owner with him at Petsmart about 2 years ago and he was very friendly and polite when he saw me and looked really happy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

2tomorrow posted:

Oh that reminds me of a good one...

So I've posted in the cattle dog threads about how Bandit would sometimes snap at my ex-husband, especially if I went to bed earlier than him and so Bandit and I were cuddled up sleeping. This is usually followed by :byodame: AND YOU MUST NIP THIS BEHAVIOR IN THE BUD BECAUSE IT IS SO BAD RARRGH!!

Um, yeah. I totally liked it because this started leading up to our divorce and I felt like Bandit was protecting me and also that my ex was a jackass who deserved it, and so I actually really didn't address it until after my divorce and I started sleeping with other people. Then we dealt with it quickly and easily. So I did eventually fix it, but it was actually pretty terrible of me not to do it earlier because of the risks of a bitey dog.

I did absolutely nothing to stop Moses from being increasingly wary of my ex leading up to our divorce. The fact that my ex could tell Moses wasn't cool with him made me feel safer even though I really should have done something about it. Moses isn't stupid or fearful and has no issues with strangers and only guards me as a resource from other dogs, never people, so it isn't a recurring problem. I was just so stressed by my ex's presence that he picked up on it and wanted the thing that made me freak out to go away.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I absolutely hate all small long haired dogs. Fluffy dogs are fine, but anything with actual hair I can not stand. Maltese, Lhasas, Shih tzus, Yorkies....no. I am COMPLETELY FINE with all other stupid yappy small dogs, but for some reason specifically ones with long hair I want to kick to death. Almost all of the ones I meet either 1) do not have any personality or 2) are stupid bitches that just bite everything forever and act horrible. When I do meet a nice one, I hate it anyway. I'm sorry.

I secretly like most other small dogs, as long as they have personality and don't just stand there shivering and looking stupid. I MUST have a spergy pit bull to be happy, but I also want to have a stupid gimmick dog to carry around and humiliate. Frankie is not super small at 22ish pounds, but he is small enough to pick up and harass and sometimes treat like a useless purse dog. If I did not have Frankie, I could have another spergy pit bull. And yet, I choose to have Frankie.

Also: English bulldogs were my favorite dog until my early teens and I wanted one so bad. Now, I still secretly like dogs with very short muzzles, just not ones so extreme they can't breathe. I would never own one that wasn't a rescue and the perpetuation of extremely brachecephalic breeds enrages me on a logical level, but when logic and reason are out the window, I think squished in faces and pig noises are so hilarious and stupid I can't not like them. I feel bad for them and want to smack people who make more of them, but lmao, dog looks like a piggy. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I want a puppy really bad waaah :saddowns:

Like, I know I can't have one. I work full time during the week, so my partner (who works online from home) would have to do like everything and while she thinks pibbles are awesome and loves the poo poo out of Moses, she didn't grow up with dogs and doesn't really have the experience/reaction time necessary to deal with the hellish process of teaching Moses to deal with a puppy without breaking his brain, while ALSO taking care of and supervising the puppy, for 8-10 hours a day. I know that Moses would end up hosed up and outraged and spiteful, the puppy would end up making GBS threads everywhere, and Frankie would get eaten by someone. My partner would end up having a meltdown because she'd be in over her head and she'd wind up convinced that it was all her fault and she broke all of the dogs. And the list goes on, basically I can not get a puppy while also owning Moses unless I can be home full time for about the first year, which isn't gonna happen.

AND YET, this does not stop me from emailing/texting local working people with litters like all the time to ask questions and sperg the hell out about their puppies and I feel really bad because while I'm sure they don't mind having dog chat, I know I can't actually get one of their puppies and then I feel bad for wasting their time. :( I can't help doing it, I want all of the good pibble puppies and they are everywhere hnnnnnnnngh

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Delta is so much better. I think my personality best suits resilient dogs because I use tone of voice and posture (looming over, turning my shoulders to face the dog directly) a lot, which hurts Sigma's sensitive little heart. Delta understands that I am irritated and she should do something else that won't irritate Boss Lady and its no big deal.

Delta and I are bffs 4 lyfe. Sigma and I are friends, but I'm that bitchy friend who is always blowing things out of proportion and making him apologize.

I have no idea how I am so good at Moses, because I am cranky and obnoxious and yell and slam things and point fingers in dog faces while staring angrily and also punt dogs out of my way when they are underfoot and getting on my nerves. He's desensitized to the fact that I just yell a lot I guess, and when I overstep and get too bitchy about something minor he legit makes this "you are blowing this out of proportion and I am v disappointed in you" dog face and it usually guilts me enough to make me stop being mean. :catstare:

Frankie's eyes just drift apart while he shivers until I shut up and go away.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

I'm so used to my sensitive dog now that my non-sensitive, stubborn dog (and anyone else's dog that is not a ~special snowflake~) just really annoys me. I'm used to a dog that basically runs away crying or rolls over and gives me puppy eyes if I get mad about something. V:shobon:V It's a good way to stop me from being mad when my dog acts like I'm ending her world.

This. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I do much better with very sensitive dogs because they temper my harshness. Stubborn dogs who make you jump through hoops to get them to work with you and who have any shred of independence just completely destroy me and I can *not* keep my cool around them. My relationship with them always inevitably goes to poo poo as I get perpetually more and more frustrated and angry at them, which makes them give even less of a gently caress about me/what I think, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

That doesn't mean I like bland dogs with no opinions, I just REALLY need a dog that cares what I think, while also having independent thoughts themselves. Moses will make it reeeeally clear to me when he doesn't like something/want to do something/thinks I'm being mean. They key for me is that he will DO it, no matter how badly he doesn't feel like it, if I ask him to. I have infinitely more patience for a dog that will do a thing it doesn't like while also letting you know they don't like it than one that goes "haha no, gently caress off!" With the former, I stay calm and go way out of my way to do anything I can to keep them from having to do something they don't like unless it is completely necessary. The latter I will end up screaming at and being really mean to until it hates me. :(

When Moses screws up he will tolerate yelling and be as appeasing as possible up to a certain point. As soon as I cross some imaginary line of "too far," (I'd never hit him or anything, I just yell) he stops being appeasing and just gives me this pained "dude, you're being horrible, I get it :(" look and it usually immediately takes me from angry to guilty and it makes me stop and so I never get to the point where I'm messing up my dog by being a jerk.

So basically, I can't handle dogs with personalities similar to mine because we end up wanting to murder each other.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsowelp posted:

I judge people with show-type beagles so hard, and I don't give a poo poo :). We met some out walking today and all the while I was ~exchanging pleasantries~ with the owner, internally I was :smug:ing out about how ugly and fat and dull they were with their stupid big heads and 'bone' and ~wrinkled brows~ and glazed, docile expression. Every time somebody with a show beagle comes to see our (real :haw:) beagles out at country shows we will spend the rest of the day bitching about the dog because they are so big and gross and terrible. If someone offered me a choice between a show beagle and a hypoglycemic ~teacup~ maltipoo monstrosity, I would elect to own the maltipoo because show beagles are literally the worst dogs.

It's okay though, every time Dan and I pass someone with a Real Terrier I'm sure they judge me just as harshly~

Replace beagle with pit bull poo poo and this is legit how I feel, I would immediately own a thousand labradoodles before I would own a show OR SPORTING ( :can: ) type APBT/Amstaff

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

I like Amstaffs :haw: No seriously, I like them. I don't like what they represent as far as blah blah blah show ladies dumbin it down, but I do like them aesthetically. And they're driveless big durfs so if I were to get a bully, that's what I'd have to get with my desire for a multi-dog, multi-animal household.

I hate you

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ButWhatIf posted:

I give my dog table scraps and Doritos and bits of ham (I cooked a 20 lb ham for Christmas and I will let Neigé eat as much as she wants if it means less ham in my fridge) and I do not care because I can feel all her ribs and she gets raw patties with extra fish oil for regular meals.

Sometimes I don't even make her work for them.

I clean out my fridge a couple times a month and throw like everything I'm not keeping in a big pot no matter how hellish it is and divide it between the two dogs. Not even remotely sorry, I literally have spreadsheets to sperg over their diets with the rest of the time, on fridge cleaning day they can have 2 week old alfredo and sloppy joe meat and these weird apple preserves my coworker gave me, ENJOY

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Dog park confession: As much as I poo poo on dog parks, I secretly kind of wish there was one here just so I could take Frankie. He's too dumb to get screwed up by lovely dog interactions, and when he gets mad at other dogs he reacts by putting his butt on them, so he's like the safest dog park dog ever. We had one where I used to live and I would take him occasionally just to watch him freak out the other dogs with his existence and it was fun.

At least I can still take him to my mom's and let him play with Gumbo, so he gets a break from tip-toeing around Moses every once in a while.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

kaworu posted:

God, I always feel really guilty whenever I get angry at my cat for some reason. Because logically, I really *shouldn't* get angry at her, but sometimes it's just too much.

I had to spend almost the entire day at home today, and usually this is totally fine and I like hanging out with the kitty while I work or whatever. But she was just driving me crazy all freaking day - constantly refusing to settle down, meowing and getting my attention like she wanted something when I had just fed her five minutes ago, thoroughly cleaned and switched out her kitty-litter a half hour ago, been giving her plenty of attention all morning including tiring her out with extra playtime... and yet she decided that it was prudent to jump on and off the coffee table repeatedly and pretending to settling down only to startle and get up and scamper off mrowing with her fat butt wiggling behind her into the other room as if a bomb were about to go off... only for her to slowly walk back into the room just 3 minutes later and look up at me questioningly, "can I sit with you up there I'll be good this time..." And then the whole thing repeats.

It was the late afternoon when she did this for at least the 9th or 10th time, but I happened to be on the verge of falling asleep with my eyes closed and when she rushed off for no reason at all she happened to knock a half-full cup of hot tea (british style tea with milk and sugar) all over me and the table and my phone behind her with her back feet. Phone turned out okay (iphones are surprisingly liquid resistant!) but I didn't know it then, and I was just apoplectic with fury at her doing this again when I really thought she'd settled down and spilling this beverage as well (which is something she just never ever does she is usually really considerate about this stuff for a cat) in addition to waking me up from semi-consciousness by spilling hot liquid on me and I just kinda lost it.

I mean I didn't hurt her or even touch her, but I freaking YELLED at her and actually chased/menaced her into the bedroom. When she pathetically tried to hide behind the curtain and only hid the front third of her body, but she was still obviously very scared and seeking refuge, I felt... so, so so so so awful. I actually started crying. I could not believe I had gotten that angry with her, I really did not think I had it in me. So I plied her with treats and tried to make peace and she was more or less fine with it, and I mean... Right now it's bedtime and she's curled up in her usual spot between/on my ankles. So I don't know. I am glad that she doesn't feel too bad about an incident like this.

Dude i scream at my dogs for that poo poo like 24/7 and im not sorry

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I carried a Redboy/Bolio puppy around in my hoody for a good 45 minutes at the flea market yesterday after sperging with the guy who bred him for just as long before giving him back and BAWLING the entire ride home while my fiancee rolled her eyes so hard they nearly fell out of her head and now I am banned from going to the flea market. :qq:

HE WAS ONLY FIFTY DOLLARS. :( :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

Waiiiiit when did this happen? Congratulations!

lmao about a bazillion years ago. We had to go through immigration hell and be apart for over a year but she got here in December. And thank u~! :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

This is the post of an emotionally balanced person

I think it's a given that it's not possible to be a sperglord doglady and also be emotionally balanced

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Food aggression is so easy to fix in most cases, and the fact that they're testing frightened confused animals who are also often hungry if not starving...I get really sad when I watch the temperament testing on those shows. I know they're so strict because they don't have the resources to deal with dogs with issues, but ugh. it seems like if someone so much as quivers a lip at the fake hand or flinches at the umbrella they pop open to see if they startle, they're dead. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I accidentally set the smoke alarm off last night (it apparently thinks the house is burning down if I put the oven above 400) and Frankie panicked so bad he threw up. I briefly yelled at him because I was really busy and trying to do a million things and suddenly I had dog vomit to clean up. Now I feel bad. :saddowns:

To be fair, Moses didn't scream like a baby and throw up. He wanted to climb my partner/the chair she was standing on to reach it to get the thing that was making all that noise. :colbert:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I know I can not foster the female pit bull that is first on tomorrow's kill list at animal control (she was pulled from the adoption floor after being deemed "aggressive" for allegedly "going after" an employee who chased her around and trapped her in a corner after she escaped her kennel and wouldn't come to him. She didn't actually bite anyone, no one has specified what "going after" the employee actually means, and volunteers who have seen her have said she is just very timid and fearful, probably because she is at animal control!!)

I know I can't foster her because I work all day and barely have time to do all the poo poo I need to do with my own dogs AND YET, I still spent several hours discussing at length with my partner ways I could possibly foster her and attempting to rationalize it. One of my old pit bulls was very fearful so you see I already have experience with Fearful Pit Bulls, and omg she looks like A Nice Dog and We Have To Do Something waaaaa:qq:

I do this like all the time, because I am I guess retarded. I could just unlike/block all of the local rescue groups on my facebook and save myself a bunch of drama, but NOPE

(this is her btw she looks super aggressive)
http://youtu.be/aqPyP0DhHWY

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I hope the person in the youtube comments is serious about adopting her. She looks adorable. :)

I don't. If they're wanting to adopt a pit bull "for their mom" but it ~has~ to be good with other dogs (ughughughughUGH) and be able to deal with potentially boisterous teenagers, they don't need one with fear issues who MIGHT be snappy when pushed too hard. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Greycious posted:

I actually teared up watching that video of her...she looks so sweet, and has such big gentle eyes. Poor girl just looks nervous because of the setting she is in..with good reason. :(

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

She wants to kill frankie, but she loves moses

and

moses

her.

:stare:

This is not a thing that has ever happened before, so I dunno wtf. She even corrected him pretty harshly for being a douche and he just...backed off.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Serella posted:

Solution: send Frankie to my house. You'll be in pibble heaven, my boyfriend will be elated to have a BT and I'll have a weird thing to dress up and take pictures of.

It's really blowing my mind because she's got like screaming dog rage for Frankie but her and Moses are like making out and poo poo and Moses has literally never once in his life interacted in a positive way with a dog that isn't Frankie. She REALLY HATES FRANKIE and it's the funniest thing that has like ever happened.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

all of you stop trying to repurpose my frankie!!!!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

Video, I want to see dograge

She's calmed down around him a lot; now she only rages if he tries to interact with her, which he's mostly learned not to do. :haw: I'll see what I can do though lmao

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

This hit me in a really good place and I'm practically crying. It's like the human equivalent of beer in cereal or something.

This happened to me last week. I had a really crazy day that turned out to be the same day that I completely ran out of dog food. I was actually really low on groceries for US, too, and there was like, nothing to eat in the house. I realized this at like 9 pm after finally sitting down after running around all day. I'd just taken a shower and there was no way I was going to the store.

I think their dinner ended up being something like a few pieces of torn up wheat bread each, some strips of chicken jerky, a few handfuls of some really nasty dog biscuits with really nasty ingredients that had been sitting in the back of the cabinet since Christmas (when they were gifted to the dogs by I don't even know who,) a couple raw eggs, some questionable leftovers from the fridge, and some lunch meat.

They were really, really happy. And gassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Confession: I screwed up and swatted Griff on the butt and she's being a giant baby about it and I feel bad. I'd had to make her get off the bed about 15 times, had to get on to her for jumping at the rat cage a bunch of times, had to scold her for messing with the trash can in the kitchen a bunch of times (we'd grilled out and the foil we'd had some meat wrapped in was in there and she decided it was for her,)and just wasn't interested in anything I gave her to do to keep her busy and I was trying to get a bunch of stuff done and just, ugh. After she jumped on the bed and started rolling around on it for like the 50th time, she decided she was sick of me telling her to get down and just looked at me like "haha make me!!! :twisted:" and when I went to shove her off, she dug in and growled at me like a giant turd, and I was sick of her crap, and I kind of lost it at her for a second, screamed at her to get the gently caress down, and smacked her on the butt on her way down.

She stomped around the house growling to herself for like 15 minutes, started a fight with Moses over it, snapped at Frankie, and then refused to have anything to do with anyone for like the rest of the day. Any time I tried to make up with her she refused treats, and if I pet her she grumbled the whole time. Now she's back to acting like she ~doesn't know what I'm going to do~ and ~can't trust me~ and is all defensive and pissy and ugh.

I know it didn't hurt, it was a single open handed smack on the butt and I pat her harder than that when I'm just patting her, but we'd been doing so awesomely and she was getting to where I could do anything to her and she was starting to actually listen to me specifically because I've approached her growling and resource guarding with "All Treats All The Time," and now I've set us back days because was dumb and let her make me mad. :sigh:

Just, when I've told you to get off the bed a million times, don't GROWL at me about it when I finally get sick of you and dump you on the floor. I mean, really.

She is so ~wounded~ and ~betrayed~ now.

• Locked thread