Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I scoop my cat's box, like, every two weeks. In the meantime, I just pour more little over it so it doesn't smell. It's a large box and he doesn't care, so :effort:.

I also smack all my animals on the rear end. Sometimes they like it (the cat gets all :catstare: OH YEAH BUTT SMACKS) and sometimes they don't (the dog gets all :saddowns: MY BUTT), and I'm never going to stop. :colbert:

The dog has gotten very good at avoiding butt smacks, haha. It's really more of a butt pat for her, but she gets upset at her own farts, so obviously she has weird butt issues in her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

uptown posted:

-I prefer my mom's dog to my puppy. If I could trade her, I would in a heartbeat.

I would trade my cat in a hot second too. Basically, I would infinitely prefer any cat that doesn't have worse health issues (he's on rx food for his cloggy cat peepee, the big baby) that is more independent -- or hell, standoffish. This cat tries every five minutes to climb in my lap. "Oh you moved the laptop? Let me just get in there. Oh, you're sitting cross-legged leaning forward with your elbows resting on your knees? I can fit." I have stopped feeling bad about pushing him away most of the time because if I didn't, he'd spend every moment (that he wasn't eating or making GBS threads) in my lap, drooling on me and headbutting me and getting his drat fur all over my clothes.

drat lovey cat. :argh:

Bash Ironfist posted:

-My dog puked at like 6am, and instead of getting up, I let him eat it and went back to sleep.

Haha, I let my cat do this. "Well, there's your lunch." :smug:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

I like my girlfriend's dog (Spice, a rough collie) more than Keeper.

There, I said it. :colbert:

Send Keeper to me. Problem solved.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

2tomorrow posted:

I'm also not that fond of my cats. Again, I really care about them in a way and I take responsibility for them (some may remember my angst over my ex wanting one and I didn't think he'd take care of him, and if y'all saw my dental bills on the tortie you'd never doubt my care for these animals), but really, I could take 'em or leave 'em in a "must have them in my life" sense. It's almost like they're other people's animals, so I still care for them but not really with that deep emotional attachment.

Yeah, I feel this way about my cat too. I become a big, blubby baby if something is wrong with the ferrets because I live then more than anything, but the cat in general is just meh. I enjoy him, but he is not essential to my mental well-being like the ferrets are, even the ferret I've only had for half the time I've had the cat.

Cat: gets boarded or left home with a timed feeder when I'm out of town

Ferrets: have a special travel cage and come on nearly every vacation/trip with me

Cat: gets pets when I feel like letting him drool on me

Ferrets: get cradled like babies in my arms while being fed treats every day

Cat: loves me more than anything ever

Ferrets: don't want to be held unless treats are involved, hate being petted or scritched, bite my feet

If this story was about a relationship with men rather than pets, it would be on the Lifetime channel.

Serella fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 30, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

In the divorce, he tried to physically take Frankie. He slammed me against a door and I had to block him from leaving with him. Moses flipped out and got between us and got in his face and roared until he scared him into leaving. (omg incorrect, euthanize incorrect pit bull)

That is how Frankie happened. pi facts :)

Mad respect for Moses. Although he might just have been mad someone was trying to take his chew toy.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Not this again.

To bring us back on the topic of horribly abusing our pets, I give my cat more treats than my boyfriend's dog gets. I do it right in front of her stink dog face. :colbert: Cattes rule, even my dumb, annoying one.

I justify it since the cat often decides he doesn't want that piece of food and then the dog can have it I guess.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

Because I'm cheap, when I leave my house every day I turn down the heat or AC.

"So it's 56° outside, over 60° inside? That's plenty warm for you cats. Bye! :iamafag: "

Eh, they are covered in fur and will set on or next to a heating vent.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

I closed a door on my ferret's neck once. I had only had her a few months, and I was holding her back with my foot while quickly closing a door. She slooped right around my foot and caught her neck right in the closing door with great force. :ohdear:

Initially she seemed fine, but later required a trip to the e-vet and a two night stay there. She almost died from shock, and has never been the same in the many years since. Can't keep as much weight on as I'd like her to and she has a weak front leg (possibly from the iv). I feel really bad, even though it was an accident and I was still new to how slippery ferrets are.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

KilGrey posted:

I stole my neighbors cat.

We live right on a really busy main road that has heavy traffic at all hours of the day. Like you open the front door and it's less than 15 feet in front of you. They've gone through about 5 cats. They get them as kittens and then by the time they are around 4 months old they toss them outside regardless of if it's day, night, winter, summer etc. They always disappear and then they get another and repeat the process. I always ask the little 7 year old girl that lives there "what happened to your cat?" and she says the cat disappeared and her mom told her that the cat must have found a nice family that really needed the cat and that they'd get another one. The story is slightly different every time but it's always something along the lines of the cat is now away living the bestest life ever.

The latest cat they got looked exactly like my best friends cat and she was looking to rescue a new cat anyway. I had come home from work and found their latest kitten huddled outside under a bush in the pouring rain and terrified of the cars going by so I just picked it up, put it in my car and drove it to my friends house.

The next day the little girl asked me if I'd seen her kitten I told her I watched it get hit by a car and killed and that's why you should never let your cats out when you live on a busy street. Obviously she freaked out. I don't care. I really wanted to break this stupid little sunshine and roses fantasy her irresponsible parents had put her in head every time their animals disappear on the busy road. Maybe her tears can pound some sense into her parents when they ask her if she wants another cat.

I'm sure people will object to this, but I'm with you 100%. It's one thing to tell a young child that your dog went to a farm to play and be happy when really he died or was put down, but it's hosed up to keep telling a kid over and over again that a cat went to a happy home when you know it's dead because you chucked it outside into an unsafe environment. That's animal neglect and bad parenting.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

That show absolutely guts me sometimes. The dog is healthy and they're testing him for adoptability and then he's food aggressive and :cry:

Yeah, that's such a shame. :( My boyfriend's dog isn't exactly food aggressive, but definitely defensive about most people near her food. If anyone but my boyfriend puts a hand near her food, she'll growl at them. I've been working on some counter-conditioning (though truthfully not very hard), and it's sad to think it would be enough to get her euthanized at a lot of shelters. I mean, I know they have to do what's best to help the most animals, but still.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I reversed my first attempt at cat adoption because she wasn't affectionate, scratched the gently caress out of my whenever I pet her, had the worst loving poops ever and slammed the hell out of the door. Now I'm realizing this is probably normal cat behavior and I'm just too immature to handle a pet. :downs:

Yeah, there's nothing to be ashamed of here. I don't know how anyone keeps pets that are actively aggressive toward them.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

She wants to kill frankie, but she loves moses

and

moses

her.

:stare:

This is not a thing that has ever happened before, so I dunno wtf. She even corrected him pretty harshly for being a douche and he just...backed off.

Solution: send Frankie to my house. You'll be in pibble heaven, my boyfriend will be elated to have a BT and I'll have a weird thing to dress up and take pictures of.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

I don't like making eye contact with Max because the majority of the time she'll stop what she's doing and make me pet her for 30 minutes.

I'm glad it's not just my terrible cat that thinks that eye contact means OH HEY I SEE YOU'RE NOT BUSY.

:catstare:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Hopping on the "forgot to buy new pet food and ran out" train. I was also broke at the time so my ferrets ate dog food for 2-3 days. I'd have fed them the cat's food, but he was on Rx urinary at the time and it had a lower protein/fat content than the EVO the dog eats. They didn't seem to mind, really.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

(I have had an embarrasing number of dreams to this effect about pet island. Mine usually end in me trying to find a way to kill and hide the body of Shamefully Acquired Animal before PI finds out The Truth. Apparently I'm a really horrible person in my dreams. :stare: )

Mine is always "oh god, I forgot about my pets for a few weeks and they all died horribly, how can I prevent PI from finding out?" :ohdear: I think it's because the short-lived Helldump made me paranoid about goons finding out about my life, even though it's pretty mundane.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

I judge people after meeting their dogs, and compare them all to my fiance's dog. Your dog jumps up on people and tries to steal food right off of plates? It's not cute, it's obnoxious, and I assume you're very stupid for not even bothering to do the very simple training required to prevent these extremely rude behaviors. Your dog is fat in a way that can't be explained by having recently acquired him that way or a legitimate health issue? You're a bad pet owner. It is so easy to get pets to lose weight. Feed them less.

I don't even really like dogs, and I taught my fiance's dog how to stay, go away, leave it, get it, and drop it. She would be nearly perfect at not jumping up on people, except that everyone is constantly ruining that training by not reinforcing it, so instead of telling her down, they actually pet her and encourage it. It's the one behavior I can't completely get rid of, so she jumps up on everyone except my fiance and me, who actually remind her when she lapses and reward her for patiently sitting and waiting for pets. Ugh, stop untraining my dog, jerks! :argh:

The only person I've ever found to be a better person than I realized after meeting their dog was my sister. Her BC mix is polite, knows a ton of tricks, and expresses her boundaries with their toddler very well. A+++ great dog, would pet.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

I like to put socks on Frankie's head and watch him try to back out of them.

Do this to the dook

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Eh, my fiance' folks call his dog their "granddog." I think it's cute, since it's not like they're actually furbabby people. They just think it's funny, since they're probably not aware of the creepy people who call their pets furkids and poo poo.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

The whole thing was a big fiasco and I still feel dirty because of it. :( I'm sorry, Cordy, I'm so sorry. :(

Nah, man. You did exactly what rescues want you to do in case of emergency. Stuff like this is exactly why they are willing to take back animals -- they know that things happen in life that can very suddenly make a home unsuitable for the demands of pet ownership, and good rescues want to support the adopters and adoptees beyond the initial adoption process. You did everything right. Lots of people would have just dumped the cat at a shelter and then the rescue would have actually had to scramble to find her and get her back. Don't feel bad about having to use that clause, that's what it's there for.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Bitchkrieg posted:

In a rash moment of scientific curiosity, I trimmed one side of my cats whiskers way down. I was curious to see how it would affect her navigation -- if she'd bump into things.

(It didn't have any discernible effect).

I am the feline Mengele.

I do this every few months because I always forget how much it sucks when the cat rubs his face on you and you get stabbed with the end of a trimmed whisker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Maully Millions posted:

Forgive me, catladies.....

My little ferret, Isolde, is obsessed with water glasses. I often put one on the nightstand so I have something to drink if I wake up in the middle of the night, then promptly forget about it in the rush of getting ready for work in the morning. Isolde will target this glass, try to stuff her entire body inside it in order to snorkel, then shove it off the edge of the nightstand. Half the time it hits the floor, the other half, it hits my side of the bed. When it hits the bed, I rub her on the wet spot to pick up as much of the water as possible. She does not appreciate this.

Also, sometimes we wind up the ferrets then dump them on each other and laugh at them when they go after each other, rather than the obnoxious humans that are messing with them in the first place.

Eh, ferrets are so obsessed with drinking out of a glass and subsequently getting water everywhere, they deserve to be used as mops.

Also, that second one is 100% normal. Sometimes you just have to wear them out by siccing them on each other. I'd hold a pair up with their faces two inches apart and let them get good and annoyed at each other before setting them free to DOOKDOOKDOOK and wrastle. Better to let them playfight amongst themselves than to have them biting at my feet like PLAYPLAYPLAY. :stoat:

• Locked thread