Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
My husband and I could have given a home to a set of slightly less desirable and therefore harder to place cats, but instead we got two 4 month old kittens that won our hearts over. The foster people didn't even bother listing the kittens on PetFinder because they knew how quickly they'd be adopted.

One of the older cats we were looking at is still at the foster, and has since been separated from his brother because he was a bully. Our house is big enough that they would rarely have had to interact. I know the bully-cat is not in danger of being put down, but I feel bad every time I think of him.

I also never brush my cats' teeth and don't brush their coats nearly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

I have had a house plant for like 3 years. Recently I got kittens and they immediately devoured all the leaves and most of the stems off my house plant. I was sad but have been trying to nurse the thing back to health. It's been a few months and every time it sprouts a leaf, the cats find some way to eat it. The only way the thing can get sunlight is putting it within the cat's reach. It's too cold to put the plant outside. :( I'm at my wit's end. I end up putting it on top of the fridge at night and only leave it at the window during the day. But if I turn my back for 2 seconds it's viciously attacked.

I have been using a squirt bottle to try and discourage their interest in the plant. Today I chased one of the cats around the house squirting water frantically and terrorized her for a good 3 minutes after she ate my plant's most recent bud. She hid under my bed partially soaked for like 20 minutes after that. I'm sorry Terra! I just want my plant to grow and you keep ruining my dreams. :saddowns:

A mesh/chicken wire cage placed around the plant would help guard it! You could also place a Ssscat (motion-sensor air can) next to it to keep them at bay.

We terrorized our scaredy-cat today by closing all the doors to his hidey-spots so he would have to hear and deal with strangers. He managed to make it into the bathroom where he cowered, terrified, in the plastic liner. Whenever we have guests over he hides while at the same time he desperately wants our attention, so he sit upstairs and cries for us, which we have to ignore.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
The cats had their annual vet visit today. I absolutely misused their trust in me to trick them into their carriers. They spent the entire time before the vet arrived (we have a drive-up DVM!) howling, thrashing, and crying in terror. They threw themselves at the walls and door of their carriers, clawing and biting in a frantic bid to escape.

Cave Johnson panicked so badly he made his gums bleed gnashing at the carrier door and tore two claws.

Higgs thrashed around so much that he raised his body temperature enough to concern the vet.

After all this, the vet let me know that I could have just put them in the bathroom and they would have gladly come in and helped cage them for minimal trauma. When we freed the cats, it took them all of 20 minutes to forgive me and start begging for scritches again. Cats, I don't deserve you.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Ugh, my mother refers to my cats as her "grandbabies" and it creeps me out as well.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I just spun Higgs around in my chair so much that he finally got super-dizzy. He tried to run away and listed terribly to the left as he ran. I was, of course, laughing too hard to comfort him. Maybe that will teach him that the chair belongs to me.

He hid under the bed to recover, and now I'm tossing his puff-ball in apology. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

A few months ago I adopted a blind kitty, after carefully planning this for months. I put up netting on the windows so she wouldn't fall down, got nice metal food/water bowls for her so she wouldn't get cat acne, bought around 100 lbs of various good quality cat food, all that stuff, so this was hardly an impulse decision. The kitty was the sweetest little thing and we got along great! For example, she would gently wake me up in the morning by lying down on my pillow, softly purring till I opened my eyes.
At the same time, I was not doing so hot health-wise. My scrotum felt all wonky and my right testicle was hurting... and growing. I had this guttural feeling that something just ain't right and that I would end up being away from home for a long time. Since I'm living alone, nobody would be there to take care of the cat and keep her company - cats get bored and lonely, too. My neighbors could have fed her, but she would still be lonely, and being blind, this would have been gitmo-level torture for her.
The adoption contract I signed specifically said that I could return the kitty in case of an emergency, so I did just that. Went to the hospital on the following day, turned out it was testicular cancer and I got an emergency surgery, followed by several months of chemo.
Still I felt like I wronged the kitty somehow, so I donated all of my food and cat stuff to kind people who gave her to me, and later sponsored the kitty by buying her food and litter till she found a new loving home.
The whole thing was a big fiasco and I still feel dirty because of it. :( I'm sorry, Cordy, I'm so sorry. :(

e: grammar.

Oh, no no no no don't feel bad about that! You did everything right for that cat! I hope you're doing okay and don't guilt yourself for assuring your cat would have a loving surrounding while you were unable to care for her.

Confession: my cat is currently dealing with some stress-related UTI issues. He is very shy around new people and would rather live under the bed for the rest of his life than meet a stranger. So what do I do? Invite two people two to spend the night at my house! He spent the whole night running around our bedroom, howling and freaking out because he wanted to roam the house but was too fearful.

• Locked thread