Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I punish my dogs when they are bad. Mainly I yell at them, I have actually grabbed Delta and sort of tossed her to the ground so I could yell at her (we do not nip at cats in this household). And it works, they learn very quickly to stop doing the bad thing.

I feel like a piece of poo poo after when they stare at me and want to be friends again :( Especially Sigma. Delta is very resilient and just jumps up and carries on with her day. Sigma will slink around even if he wasn't the one in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh yeah, I encourage hella rough play with my dog too, including mouthing.

I'm never going to have or be around children it's fine. :colbert:

Same here. Sigma will take my forearm in his mouth if I get him riled up and offer it, and he will squeeze-release like he does when he's chewing tennis balls. Sometimes he does it really hard and leaves bruises :saddowns: And I taught him to nibble on fuzzy socks, he sometimes pinches my feet with his incisors so I scream and start laughing. No kids in my future, I supervise like a paranoid hawk when they are around little kids, so its all good. I don't give a poo poo about older kids, they should have enough smarts :colbert:

wtftastic posted:

Sometimes just seeing the appeasement behaviors does make me feel a little bit better, even when I know its not that he's "sorry" or guilty for doing whatever got me mad in the first place.

This too :smith:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

whilst rolling mine eyes

Ahahaha the "whilst" and "mine" makes this perfect.

I just banished Sigma from the computer room because as I was stepping over him he lifted his head so I could perfectly kick him in the face. I feel guilty which is clearly his fault, so he isn't welcome here anymore :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

:glomp: Super.

My confession, I am a-ok with rehoming for any reason, if the rehoming is done right, ie. the pet isn't dumped on the first schmuck to show interested. If someone wants to rehome (for any reason), then maybe the next home will be the pet's last home :unsmith:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I pretty much only like prick-eared large dogs. Or large dogs who happen to have flop ears like rotties. Show me a shar pei cross who has those perfect drop ears, you know the ones that fold right in the middle and are tiny and way too cute? :allears:

Superconsndar posted:

I also want to have a stupid gimmick dog to carry around and humiliate.

But this is my shameful secret. I would die for a pom like Keeper or Pork Chop :3: They look like grumpy little teddy bears.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

We were eating in the living room because its Christmas time and we wanted to watch a movie and the table was covered in various crap items. I do not allow dogs to stick their noses at my plate, and I do not want dogs within arms reach (if they are laying down and not lifting their head to sniff I guess its ok). Sigma came over to my side of the couch and sticks his snout right to my plate. So I give his nose a little tap, actually very gentle. I just made contact. He whimpers sort of under his breath and instantly turns to jump on the loveseat and wouldn't look at me.

Oh god Siggy I am sorry I love you, you are a good dog :qq: The whimper was the saddest thing.

It was ok, we were friends again once I was finished and the plates were gone but... geez dog enough with the guilt tripping. I know the swat (not even hard enough to be called a swat really) didn't hurt you.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Topoisomerase posted:

lol I am the same way about eating (except I also contend with cat paws reaching towards my plate) and I will shove Pippa hard when she is all up in my plate and she's just like OMG A GAME LET'S PLAY or she lays down and stares at me on the floor like "yo I'm laying down gimme dat."

I could never deal with a ~sensitive dog~ like a lot of you have.

Delta is so much better. I think my personality best suits resilient dogs because I use tone of voice and posture (looming over, turning my shoulders to face the dog directly) a lot, which hurts Sigma's sensitive little heart. Delta understands that I am irritated and she should do something else that won't irritate Boss Lady and its no big deal.

Delta and I are bffs 4 lyfe. Sigma and I are friends, but I'm that bitchy friend who is always blowing things out of proportion and making him apologize.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

I am cranky and obnoxious and yell and slam things and point fingers in dog faces while staring angrily and also punt dogs out of my way when they are underfoot and getting on my nerves. He's desensitized to the fact that I just yell a lot I guess

Hi five angry buddy! Sigma came to a realization like 6 months ago that I get loud when dogs are bad, but its not the end of the world. He used to appease like crazy and be really watchful of me for the rest of the day. Whoops almost broke my dog.

I totally kick them all the time too :ohdear: Dogs should move out of the hallway when people are doing laundry and stuff :colbert:

Citizen Rat posted:

I love having a primitive breed. They think being bitchy is a contest and they are totally going to win it. Yelling does you a fat lot of good and just makes them smug because, lol, u mad!

I grew up with an Akita can you tell? My obsession with using body language and posture with the dogs is from Seko's wise teachings I think.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

After she eats Delta smacks her mouth in the loudest, most irritating way. Sometimes I scold her about it and even make her leave the room.

I have issues with gross sounds ok?? Sorry Delta :(

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Awwww Super!! Whats her name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Yesterday we ran out of dog food. They got peanut butter sandwiches and a bunch of one day past expiry cottage cheese.

• Locked thread