Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

Retroactive allegory for America's Afghanistan Adventure.

"The Soviets just didn't do it right!"
:downs:

"No, no! Dig UP, stupid!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

When I read Starship Troopers I totally thought it was a satire of military SF with all of the state worship and the current system of government being put into place by a veteran’s revolt that was suspiciously similar to how fascists came into power in Italy.

Also really pissed me off that the movie didn’t have those rad armor suits but that’s neither here nor there.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I always assumed the asteroid was launched by humans as a false flag.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The bucks had space travel in both the book and the movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My favorite throwaway joke in the movie is that they use the massacre of a bunch of Space Mormons as justification to ramp up actions against the arachnids. Space Mormons that started a colony on one of their planets, presumably to try to teach giant alien bugs about Joseph Smith.

Edit: What would the arachnids' 10% tithe consist of?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CainFortea posted:

The bucks had space travel in both the book and the movie.

The only good deer is a dead deer!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

BigDave posted:

The only good deer is a dead deer!

I'm doeing my part!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You missed my point

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I watched Starship Troopers in theaters and thought it was the dumb hoo-rah bullshit it was satirizing.

I was the idiot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm going to spike this pun detail right here. We don't want dad posters coming in and fawning all over it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I'm going to spike this pun detail right here. We don't want dad posters coming in and fawning all over it.

Yeah, we might really get stuck in a rut. Wouldn't want to rack up so many puns.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"The Soviets just didn't do it right!"
:downs:

"No, no! Dig UP, stupid!"

When the world learned not to attack Russia in the winter, it forgot the lesson to stay the gently caress out of Afghanistan.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Also, we weren't just fighting the bugs. We were also fighting the Skinnies.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

bulletsponge13 posted:

Also, we weren't just fighting the bugs. We were also fighting the Skinnies.

Who we then through a show of force and shock and awe made/ forced them to become allies with us

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tythas posted:

Who we then through a show of force and shock and awe made/ forced them to become allies with us

They gave up Intel that helped develop the nerve gas and brain caste.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

The buck stops here, then.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

The buck stops here, then.

D'oe!

e: speaking of dad jokes, where's slippery?
poo poo's cornier in the best way when they're around.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
When I read Starship Troopers as a kid (I'm old so well before the movie came out), I was entranced by the power armor and also basic training section, which was new to me. The political stuff went way over my head. When I asked my dad what he thought of the book, he told me that the moral was "It's ok for parents to spank their children.", which made me mad at the time, but looking back it was pretty on the nose.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

When I read Starship Troopers as a kid (I'm old so well before the movie came out), I was entranced by the power armor and also basic training section, which was new to me. The political stuff went way over my head. When I asked my dad what he thought of the book, he told me that the moral was "It's ok for parents to spank their children.", which made me mad at the time, but looking back it was pretty on the nose.

They did use that exact example as you the downfall of American society. Parents didn't spank their kids, so they became criminals.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/6eJIxSa.gifv

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This hurts me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Agreed. Armor also deals with Army bullshit of lost paperwork and the big green weenie.

"How many drops do you have?"
"26"
"No one has more than 10!"
Well, when your entire unit except you gets waxed, S1 forgets to update some poo poo.

Interestingly, the author’s Wikipedia page doesn’t mention any military service, either.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Agreed. Armor also deals with Army bullshit of lost paperwork and the big green weenie.

"How many drops do you have?"
"26"
"No one has more than 10!"
Well, when your entire unit except you gets waxed, S1 forgets to update some poo poo.

You forgot the best part. As I recall, when they finally figure out that they made a mistake with him, part of the solution is deciding that officially he only ever made 10 drops. Problem solved!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lemony posted:

You forgot the best part. As I recall, when they finally figure out that they made a mistake with him, part of the solution is deciding that officially he only ever made 10 drops. Problem solved!

Army.txt

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

This hurts me.

Someone in the meme thread said it first but the Belgians are certainly ready for Arrakis

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/duffelblog/status/1154345691235397632?s=21

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Article was funny enough, but I don’t approve of it on the grounds of too many idiots are gonna start sharing this without realizing it’s a satire.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Valtonen posted:

Article was funny enough, but I don’t approve of it on the grounds of too many idiots are gonna start sharing this without realizing it’s a satire.

This is the first comment on the twitter link

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Valtonen posted:

to be fair i would believe it too

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Speaking of Idiots

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/milita...harges-n1034661

quote:

Sixteen U.S. Marines were arrested Thursday on human smuggling and drug allegations at a base in Southern California, military officials said.

The Marines were arrested at Camp Pendleton based on information gained from a previous human smuggling investigation, the Marine Corps said in a statement Thursday. At least eight other Marines have also been questioned about their involvement in alleged drug offenses.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So which do you think? Marines trying to make extra money on the side by being coyotes? Or they just trying to smuggle their Mamacita's over?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

knowing marines..... both, some were probably getting their mamacita's other's were most likely doing it for money, maybe even sex

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Great logistical work, promote head of peers

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bad OPSEC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unsurprisingly, when one seal did a rape none of his buddies would cooperate s they repatriated the lot of them.

https://t.co/SRCrRV3p9H

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

oh hey even the Navy Seals have idiots

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.7d9a68b18bf8

quote:

The commander of a U.S. Special Operations task force in Iraq has sent home a platoon of Navy SEALs for drinking while deployed after an alleged sexual assault by one of them, U.S. defense officials said, the latest discipline incident that has emerged for an elite force relied upon heavily by the Pentagon.

quote:

The officials said that the SEALs involved violated General Order No. 1, which bans alcohol use while deployed.

honestly at this point i think the Seals need an investigation from an outside party

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's worse than that, one of them raped another service member attached to the unit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EBB posted:

It's worse than that, one of them raped another service member attached to the unit.

Which is really super hosed up that the whole unit clammed up. I’ve talked to ITs who have been attached to them and said they have been very protective of their support but this pretty much throws that in the trash.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When the Commander in Chief is basically telling you you're never going to face any long-term consequences ever, you're not going to be getting any discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pls don't disparage our blessed holy warriors