Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tythas posted:

oh hey even the Navy Seals have idiots

Growing up near Little Creek and Dam Neck in the 80s, the SEALs always kept to themselves, mostly. The few I was introduced to by my father seemed like good (and quiet) guys. If a bar became known as a "SEAL bar," they found another bar, because it'd invariably lead to braggart musclebound dickheads looking to try to kick a SEAL's rear end and women looking to gently caress/marry a SEAL, the latter of which were supposedly more tolerated/welcomed but also seen as a hell of a liability, since none of them cared if the SEAL was already married.

Then that loving Charlie Sheen movie came out and it was a trumpet blast for assholes. Now work in book deals, movie screenplays, and ~lucrative post-career security advising~ and all of them are looking to loving make *names* for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'll never understand musclebound big dick bar fight culture in a country where everyone and their mother is carrying a gun

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Growing up near Little Creek and Dam Neck in the 80s, the SEALs always kept to themselves, mostly. The few I was introduced to by my father seemed like good (and quiet) guys. If a bar became known as a "SEAL bar," they found another bar, because it'd invariably lead to braggart musclebound dickheads looking to try to kick a SEAL's rear end and women looking to gently caress/marry a SEAL, the latter of which were supposedly more tolerated/welcomed but also seen as a hell of a liability, since none of them cared if the SEAL was already married.

Then that loving Charlie Sheen movie came out and it was a trumpet blast for assholes. Now work in book deals, movie screenplays, and ~lucrative post-career security advising~ and all of them are looking to loving make *names* for themselves.

You're forgetting Dick Marcinko.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You're forgetting Dick Marcinko.

What, as an example of how big of an rear end in a top hat you can be before people stop caring you're a SEAL?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We were already starting to kiss ginormous amounts of troop rear end prior to 9/11 but afterwards we quadrupled down and I don't know if this country is ever going to be able to accept that we're not actually the good guys.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We were already starting to kiss ginormous amounts of troop rear end prior to 9/11 but afterwards we quadrupled down and I don't know if this country is ever going to be able to accept that we're not actually the good guys.

This country can't even accept that Republicans aren't actually good Christians, and it's had a hell of a lot longer to figure that one out.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That’s the power of owning the narrative when your opponent is politically impotent.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What, as an example of how big of an rear end in a top hat you can be before people stop caring you're a SEAL?

You used Charlie Sheen as the beginning of the degradation of SEALs but I was just trying to point out that Marcinko was around well before that movie came out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shovelbum posted:

I'll never understand musclebound big dick bar fight culture in a country where everyone and their mother is carrying a gun

Turns out most gun owners aren't actually looking to use it. And it's illegal in most states to carry in a bar.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Godholio posted:

Turns out most gun owners aren't actually looking to use it. And it's illegal in most states to carry in a bar.

Both of these things are true, but the ones who are looking to use it are also the ones who don't give a poo poo that it's illegal to carry in bars.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Preemptive pull up thread!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I agree with him though.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

colachute posted:

Preemptive pull up thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKM3CsmX-ds

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

shovelbum posted:

Bar fight culture in the US is tame. In places like Brazil, people go to bars, any bars, with the express intent of getting into a fight. I hung out with central American exchange students in high school/college (I speak spanish fluently, I'm white, and Mexicans hate central Americans in a way that is eerily similar of the way rednecks hate Mexicans), and those dudes would get nostalgic telling me about all the times the boys would meet up at the local shithole bar for brawls. To hear them tell it, every guy had at least some sort of MMA training just because growing up in the hood and not knowing how to fight was a great way to get your rear end mugged/kicked.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll agree. US bars are nice and peaceful and it's pretty good.

Haven't seen anyone lose an eye or get hauled off in an ambulance with a blood bag or neck brace since I've been here.

Pretty good, really.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A White Guy posted:

(I speak spanish fluently, I'm white, and Mexicans hate central Americans in a way that is eerily similar of the way rednecks hate Mexicans)

Going out with Hispanic people from the Caribbean and South America and running into Mexicans (or vice-versa) is pretty much a guaranteed front-row seat to some racism that would make a 1960s Alabama grandma blush.

Mexico is like the Ireland of the Americas.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Only time I've ever been in a bar scuffle is because I told some white dude to stop yelling the N word while I was outside waiting for a cab. That one earned me a sucker punch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I had to pay a huge bouncer to break up a bar fight in the women’s restroom because my little person date picked a fight with two chicks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I had to pay a huge bouncer to break up a bar fight in the women’s restroom because my little person date picked a fight with two chicks.

:yeah:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the vast majority of bar fights I've seen were at lovely old blue collar dude bars in the Midwest that we went to in college to see "old man fights"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm not wild about having a thread so prominently at the top of GIP with an author listed as "HATE CURES TRANNYS," so someone make a new thread because this one is closing soon.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

shovelbum posted:

the vast majority of bar fights I've seen were at lovely old blue collar dude bars in the Midwest that we went to in college to see "old man fights"

As late as 2012, Rip Torn was getting into bar fights in upstate New York.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Most of the bar fights I’ve seen (which is only a handful) it’s usually two drunk dudes who have no idea how to fight hugging each other aggressively.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P89X-j-TWVE

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

colachute posted:

Most of the bar fights I’ve seen (which is only a handful) it’s usually two drunk dudes who have no idea how to fight hugging each other aggressively.

The number of bar fights would probably plummet if more lovely dudes had at least one (1) person in their lives that they felt comfortable about having a good bro-hug with

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

I'm not wild about having a thread so prominently at the top of GIP with an author listed as "HATE CURES TRANNYS," so someone make a new thread because this one is closing soon.

Would it be possible to see if Lowtax or one of the other admins could edit the name instead? This thread is a goldmine of content and it'd be a shame for it to go to the archives.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

my kinda ape posted:

Would it be possible to see if Lowtax or one of the other admins could edit the name instead? This thread is a goldmine of content and it'd be a shame for it to go to the archives.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Knowing this site runs on spaghetti code barely held together with baling wire and duct tape, trying to edit the author name would probably end with TCC being irretrievably deleted or something.

Fake edit: ~*~and nothing of value would be lost~*~

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I PM'd lowtax to see if he could somehow fix it so uh, cross your fingers?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

my kinda ape posted:

I can ask, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be:

Dick Burglar posted:

Knowing this site runs on spaghetti code barely held together with baling wire and duct tape, trying to edit the author name would probably end with TCC being irretrievably deleted or something.

Fake edit: ~*~and nothing of value would be lost~*~

If you look too long at the SA forums code it falls apart.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

I can ask, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be:

If you look too long at the SA forums code it falls apart.

I mean presumably it's just finding and changing an entry in a database table or whatever, but on the other hand, Radium.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

my kinda ape posted:

I mean presumably it's just finding and changing an entry in a database table or whatever, but on the other hand, Radium.

There's a way for a user to buy a name change, so there has to be a way for an admin to force a name change on a user.

e:although that doesn't seem to change the name that started the thread, which is just odd.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Poor SA forums code. Thought of ants and died.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ulmont posted:

There's a way for a user to buy a name change, so there has to be a way for an admin to force a name change on a user.

e:although that doesn't seem to change the name that started the thread, which is just odd.

Yeah, unfortunately name changes don't propagate back to threads started under the old name.

I went ahead and asked but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be something along the lines of "if we change the name then we lose the ability to see other users' posts" or something

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

McNally posted:

Yeah, unfortunately name changes don't propagate back to threads started under the old name.

I went ahead and asked but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be something along the lines of "if we change the name then we lose the ability to see other users' posts" or something

Dick Burglar posted:

~*~and nothing of value would be lost~*~

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

forgetting Dick Marcinko.
#lifegoals

Regarding username of this thread, I prefer not to bury history, especially if real history paints me (as a thread ‘contributor’) in a bad light.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Haven't gotten an admin response yet, but another mod tells me they asked the same thing and were told it can't be done.

This thread will close at midnight eastern time, so someone might want to collect stories for a new OP.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I normally only lurk in this thread because I'm not a vet (and y'all have some awesome stories), but

A - the thread is closing so whatever
B - I managed bars and nightclubs for years in Texas and can weigh in on this, having seen many bar fights.

colachute posted:

This is partly true, but it's also important to know that most guys in the US don't actually want to fight (and it's very rare to see someone get into a fight if they've actually trained for it).

They're pissed off, they want people to know they're pissed off, but they don't want to tear their shirt or get a black eye. Wrestling on their feet is a good way to let off steam and frankly, it's a good way to get kicked out for the night or the weekend, but it's not enough to get you 86'd permanently unless you're a repeat offender. The vast majority of the fights I broke up were over immediately as soon as they were separated by a couple feet, there was zero lingering animosity.

aphid_licker posted:

The number of bar fights would probably plummet if more lovely dudes had at least one (1) person in their lives that they felt comfortable about having a good bro-hug with

This is absolutely, unequivocally true.

Fake edit: This is only true for guys. When girls get into a bar fight it is to the death.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

McNally posted:

Haven't gotten an admin response yet, but another mod tells me they asked the same thing and were told it can't be done.

This thread will close at midnight eastern time, so someone might want to collect stories for a new OP.

Is goldmining threads still a thing? Because that would save the thread from archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is goldmining threads still a thing? Because that would save the thread from archives.

Oh yeah, this thread is definitely getting goldmined.