Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RIP Humper Monkey :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The defector writing under the pseudonym Viktor Suvorov has told an awful lot about how hosed up the Red Army was during Cold War days. You think US Army was bad ? There was no booze in the Red Army, yet somehow they managed to have a severe alcoholism problem. I'd recommend The Liberators, which is his account of the occupation of Czechoslovakia, and The Aquarium, which his account of his time in the GRU. Fantastic stories and very well told - he had a very good ghostwriter/translator/partner. Inside the Soviet Army is replete with accounts of conscript troops putting shoeshine on bread to soak the alcohol out or radar equipment being cleaned with gasoline so they could drink the cleaning fluid. By his accounts a huge chunk of the Red Army was absolutely incompetent. I'd say there's a good chance at least half of the army wouldn't have made it as far forward as hostile contact, so 50FA may not have been in as much danger in wartime as he expected.

The best story to demonstrate the level of training is this. Suvorov commanded a motor rifle company. He had only one BMP driver good enough to pass the tough tests, so at inspections that poor SOB got switched through every vehicle in turn to stand in for the drivers who could barely get the thing into gear.

I'd like to see a WW3 novel where hot war starts in Europe and immediately turns into a clusterfuck of poor planning and worse execution, just stories of whole formations that are their own worst enemies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

NightGyr posted:

The Mig-25 used pure alcohol to cool the radar and avionics. This was frequently diverted to other uses.

Hence the nickname "the flying restaurant".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

A modern day "Green Side Out"

"This side to your company commander."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite thing about Heinlein is the way the protagonists in his books always have some kooky ideology, and it's usually mutually incompatible with ones in most of his other books. When I first read Troopers I thought he might actually have fascist leanings. Then I read Red Planet and wasn't so sure. Then I read Time Enough For Love and realized he was loving with me.

Edit: lol forgot I was in GiP

Read Double Star (one of his Hugo winners) and have your mind blown.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Godholio posted:

^Is there a webcast or something? I'd plan a full day around that like the Super Bowl.

Same.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

hogmartin posted:

The MiG-25 supposedly uses a ridiculous amount of ethanol for cooling, so at some point presumably some Russian general rubbed his chin and said "...yeah. Jet that requires a bunch of nearly-pure alcohol. Maintained on the airfields by bored Russians. Sounds good. Ship it. I'mma gonna go get drunk now."

Even if you believe nothing else written by defector-turned-author Viktor Suvorov (and there's a good case that all the important stuff is bullshit), you should believe that the MIG-25 was nicknamed "the flying kitchen" because of the ethanol based cooling system

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

If you had a good crew and planned ahead some, you could have them searching the entire ship and meeting everyone onboard before they realized they were being pranked.

And if done right, the new guy now knows everyone on board and how to get anywhere from anywhere else.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Yosemite seems like a really cool place.

My real goal is to camp in the redwood forest. Right next to a big fucker. I don't want t climb it or do something stupid. I just want to be surrounded by a massive natural force and be in awe.

That being said, if anyone has not seen the Grand Canyon in person, you are doing yourself a disservice. A massive disservice

Mendocino County is good for redwoods. I'd say hit Fort Ross, Salt Point, and/or Fort Bragg on the coast (I can vouch for all of these based on childhood nostalgia). Fort Ross might be the best, it's a Russian trading fort kept up and populated with re-enactors. Then go inland to the National Forest and get your redwoods fix.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

This is a work of art

Pro-click right here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

On the plus side, the commandant of the academy said some really good stuff in response. On the negative, way to blow up your loving career dumbass.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Username: PRESIDENTDONALDTRUMP
Password: BILLIONAIRE

Security Question: I own a resort and a yacht.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7dCTwlAI8Y

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Do you want Skynet beca... no, wait...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

He thinks every bill that crosses his desk is literally Bill from Schoolhouse Rock.

........... mmmm, I'm gonna say I'm ok with that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Now that is living the dream.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Turn it over to Mr. Nice. I want one after I get a Hayard Gunnes shirt, but I can't get either right now. Some of us want it nice, safe, and available later.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Digging a deeper hole via international arms dealing

This will probably be topical again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I have a close friend who was an AF MP in Germany during the 90s.

Don't.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The live action had its moments, mostly in the parts that were openly love letters to nuBSG. The anime remakes, Yamato 2199 and 2202 are really solid "lots of spaceships explode" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The General is a terrific novel. Almost spooky in its realism.

I'll throw in Massie's Dreadnought and Castles of Steel for coverage of the lead up to war, especially the battleship building race between England and Germany, and then the actual war at sea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I saw They Shall Not Grow Old last night. It's a really good narrative with lots of actual veterans talking, probably from the BBC oral history archives. The footage is great and well chosen to support the theme of "this is what it was like for the poor SOBs on the front line".

The restoration job they did to fix the frame rate, colorize, and make it 3D was amazing. Just as the story gets to the trenches for the first time it switches from scratchy, sepia-toned footage to full color 3D and the transition is breathtaking. It's a nice bit of history, but an impressive technical achievement.

Mark my words, this will win awards.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EBB posted:

The LT was the idiot hands down

How often is that not true ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

You know what they say when you try to make something idiot-proof...

The Marines are getting 69 of them to test... Since the Army already went full "hold my beer" with them, I have high expectations for what USMC enlisted personnel can do with these vehicles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tythas posted:

Don't get me started, Funfact cortana is still semi enabled on all the win 10 machines

That's not changing, Cortana is incredibly difficult to completely remove, even for an enterprise image.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, that's the Swiss alright.

I work for a biotech company owned by a Swiss group. We do a ton of GxP validated work to comply with regulations. The Americans are cool with it and I'm like "20 pages of initials for every checkbox to set up a PC in Manufacturing, whatever". The Swiss on the other hand, live and breathe The Process.

If their Army ever implements a reporting standard for being rendered combat-ineffective they will be immortal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Godholio posted:

Just drop a grenade down the barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxNzZYr_1k&t=63s

Keep watching, this takes team work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Armor rules, and I'm really glad it's about more kinds of personal armor than just the kind with built in blaze cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ok good, there's years of good content that should be lost.

On the other hand I've had to close browser windows because a normal person came by and I had my bookmarks open. Therefor starting a new thread is an unalloyed good for the world.