Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

:stare:

Dat iron rear end doe.

Sigh....

BUNS OF STEEL!

Jesus, it's the obvious take...

Edit: phone posting and it got auto corrected to BUMS, for our allies across the pond, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So out of curiosity, what would get a 23 year old out of Navy boot camp after two weeks? This kids claim is that they asked him to "come back in eight months".

In school he was a thief, liar and serial plagiarist. He's totaled four cars since graduation, had several dead end jobs that never lasted more than a couple of months and flunked out of med tech and flight attendant schools.

My money is on either not being able to follow orders or just couldn't.

It's definitely not medical or fitness.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Asking for a friend"?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

-Anders posted:

I value availability above size any day

Amen, brother.

"A B in the hand is worth two D's in the bra", I always say.

Of course, given options...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Vengarr posted:

It happens to lots of younger men, actually

Ftfy.

Older guys have the opposite problem: barrel won't straighten out.

So I've heard...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There's almost certainly a Chuck Tingle one.

"Pounded in the Reserves by my own Reserves" by Chick Tingle, esq.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

It cracks me up that every era is shown in combat gear except the 80s where he’s got a MOPP

Ftfy

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And that's why Texans make Aggie jokes.

A lot were recycled Polish jokes, with "Aggie" swapped for "Polish"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My grandfather served in France in the Great War. It left him fairly pacifist, up until it became clear what Germany was up to.

Then, of course my dad and uncle went to West Point.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember a couple articles at the time saying that everyone around him told him it was a bad idea, but he refused to listen. He has a concept of consequences like a 14 year old brat.

Ftfy

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Don't think it's supposed to be literal, tho.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Should have just hopped in the recovery vehicle near the tipping point and just gunned the fucker.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I was there in 83 as a mildep/s. We got to take the command diesel and we got thoroughly checked inside and out, I guess to make sure no capitalist spies were clinging to the underside. There were also an armed GI and an armed Soviet soldier riding up in the control area.

One sobering thing was on the ride in passing a monstrous Soviet tank base with thousands of tanks lined up.

We took a trip over to the East zone, and at one point an East German military vehicle pulled alongside and tried to take Dads picture. I stuck my face in the window, so they missed that.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I was there for the summer from college, so I wasn't there for the exercises. I do recall the OPSEC ads on AFRTS that replaced commercials. There was a definite uneasiness in the air, what with Reagans "Evil Empire" and the rumblings from the Soviets. We were at Graf, so less than 20 miles from the Czech border.

One thing that stood out about Berlin was the contrast between the modernity of the West zones and how all the scars of the war were gone and seeing remaining bullet holes and fragmentation marks on walls in the East. It was definitely grimmer over there. At Checkpoint Charlie we were taking pictures and I wanted to get a picture of the sign that said "You are now entering the American Zone". My sister said she saw the guards in the towers turning their binoculars on me. In going to take the picture I had inadvertently crossed the official line, which was in front of the wall itself.

You might want to look for Deutschland 83, a German TV show I think is on Amazon now. It's in German with subtitles, and was shot around Berlin.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I wanted some alpaca, but my wife said she will not have an alpaca named Corndog, so it's none, because that is a great name.

Wife wants an alpaca (or several) but since we live in town, no dice. But holy gently caress, that will have to be the best name ever.

Already named one of our chickens "Cluckface". I had to clean up my original version a little.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Inter service transfer to the Marines?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Why isn't there an emote for junior enlisted wives?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

not enough pixels

:perfect:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nah, a marine wouldn't be able to find his way over the barrier.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Man I can think of few things that are not designed as poison that I would less like to eat.

Yeah, but Dave said he heard you could catch a buzz from it, so why not?

And hey, ended up on benzos!:catdrugs:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gives a whole new meaning to "Semper fi, mac!"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Then there's the opposite. Doing time as a private and making it to 4 stars.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Coming back through Atlanta from France, my wife got stopped for a loving souvenir snow globe. She was telling the TSA lady it was less than 2 ounces and the lady goes "Ma'am (I'm not allowed to say bitch tone), we could be here all night if you want" So we empty a carryon and check it through.

As we walk to the gate, I realize I have a mostly full bottle of water in my coat. I didn't tell her. Until long after we'd gotten home.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I went through Nuremberg airport in 83 at the height of the "Evil Empire " days. You not only went through metal detectors, you stuff was x-rayed and you got patted down. I was bringing back a 5 liter micro keg in my carry on. Not surprisingly, a large metal object going on a plane back then (this was around the time that one star got kidnapped) got anothe lot of attention. And their people carried machine pistols. I got grabbed by the arm as they opened my bag. They pulled my.bag open to show the giant can and I said "Ist gut Deutches bier" and luckily for me they all had a good chuckle and let me through.

It was good beer, too.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf

Page 28 has some good stuff. My favourite is "When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and consideration." Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five."

Oh, poo poo - the CIA has infiltrated every management course ever!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Flechette chat- the replacement for the flechette round for tanks is the Canister round. https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/large-caliber-ammunition/120mm-m1028/ this is a 120mm shotgun shell containing tungsten balls. Is fun.

Give them a whiff of grapeshot!

The true classics never go out of style!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

In the book he does say that nobody can be denied the opportunity for a term of federal service if they want it. IIRC the example he used went along the lines of "if you were blind they'd have you counting the fuzz on caterpillars by touch or something. "

So active military service wasn't the only way to citizenship. And the MM thing was about they didn't get credit for it and resented it.

The big caveat was you got one shot - you could quit at any time, even right before a drop, but you never, ever got a second chance at citizenship.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He said the same thing happened to Reagan. Ironic, since Nancy had been known as the bj queen of Hollywood.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Better call Saul.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Poor SA forums code. Thought of ants and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And post a link for us lazy fucks.