Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Gather around kids, Uncle Hekk is going to tell everyone a story.

A few years back (during the Marine Corps' push to 202k), I was a recruiter in a suburb of a major rust belt city. When I say suburb, this isn't your stereotypical middle income housing and parks with soccer moms and gardeners. This was really an extension of the city with the urban decay that's present in every rust belt city. My office was across the street from the police station and courthouse. The area I worked was rife with drugs and gang violence. In the 3 years I was there, I had 3 people killed in the building and parking lot of my building. One guy was shot and lying dead in the parking lot as I returned with poolees from a pool function. I had a druggie overdose on heroin in the downstairs bathroom. We also had a homeless guy freeze to death by the front door to the building. Gang violence was also an issue. This wasn't Compton or anything but kids were stupid and had an inferiority complex compared to their friends and relatives in the actual city itself. Drive by shootings were a constant problem and I had to drop a poolee and had a Marine on recruiters assistance both get shot in while I was out there.

So now that the scene is set for the poo poo hole I was recruiting out of, I can tell you about the Psychiatric Facility down the street from where I worked. A couple of blocks down the road there was an inpatient treatment facility much like an Insane Asylum. Once I became the SNCOIC of the Recruiting Substation, I usually spent my days manning the office while my recruiters were out at high schools or other placing looking for kids to recruit. I worked out of the City Center, so there was a DMV, Social Security Office, a school for handicapped children, and some other offices in my building. For whatever reason, the crazies were attracted to this building like moths to a flame.

Of particular note was one gentlemen who had a habit of coming by at the most inopportune times. We'd be interviewing a kid with his parents and this homeless guy would come into the office "looking for extraction". His story was that he worked for either the CIA or FBI (he didn't know which) as an assassin assigned to take out key cocaine dealers in the area. He looked homeless because he was supposed to blend in with the average cocaine user. I tried several times to explain to him that cocaine is an expensive drug and that it's users are not typically homeless but the logic was lost on him. He showed me his special agent ID, which was really just a card from the psych facility telling whomever saw it that this person had completed an inpatient program and was deemed safe enough to be released. It had a contact number for the facility in case the patient posed a threat to himself or others. I called this number a couple of times when the guy would come by but the people there told me he didn't pose a threat and was just delusional.

So as we'd be interviewing kids, this stinky old homeless gently caress would burst into the office telling us he needed to be extracted. I ran him out of the building the first 3 or 4 times but on this particular day the bastard just wouldn't leave. He kept telling me that "they were on to him" and he needed to get out asap. He told me that he knew I had connections in Washington and that I needed to call my contacts and give them code "Abraham" because if I got biblical they'd understand it was important.

I had to stall this guy because we were getting ready to close the deal on this applicant and it'd make mission for our station. So I told him that he need to come back in an hour and by then I would be able to contact Washington and relay his message.

So we wrap up the meeting with the applicant and his parents and the homeless guy comes back. I am trying anything I can think of to get this guy to leave me alone, so I tell him I contacted Washington and relayed the message. I told him extraction was coming at midnight but he had to make it to the park 6 blocks down the road. Under the garbage can next to the basketball court would be a package with new clothes and IDs. He needed to put on the clothes provided and wait for the helo that would touch down to get him out of dodge.

This next part, I can only relay from the perspective of what the police told me when they came to my office the next day. The homeless guy was picked up that night by the cops because he was wondering through the city completely naked. I guess he thought it was a good idea to get rid of his clothes before he actually made it to the park. Once the cops approached him, he of course tried to attack the officers, got the poo poo tazered out of him, and was locked up with public indecency, resisting arrest, and felony assault charges. Needless to say I never saw the guy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shimazu posted:

I.. I... I don't think your doing this right if that isn't the HIGHLIGHT of your interaction with your young guys

What are you talking about? This is the best part of spending time with your troops. Especially once you get old and boring (read: married with kids) and aren't making any new stories of your own. You listen to their tales, call the "one upers" out on their bullshit, tell a few stories of your own, and teach the young guys how not to get caught doing stupid stuff.

Accepting the fact that no matter what anyone says, young guys are going to do some outlandish stuff and helping them see how they can be smart about doing stupid things is how to mold some of the loyalest troops you've ever seen.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shimazu posted:

hi hekk

R>C>P

:)

I am an idiot. I was reading from my phone and somehow missed a word. Please make fun of me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Admiral Bosch posted:

this thread is full of impossibly gay acronyms

My favorite is the nuke story. I got about half a sentence in before I realized that Debel Dawgs have absolutely no idea what the gently caress squids are yapping about. The saddest thing is that I don't think there were any acronyms in the post.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DrCuntmuffins posted:

sounds like malpractice if i've ever heard it

oh wait people can't get in trouble in the military HAHAHAHAHA

I am pretty sure that the docs didn't suggest that he be a duty driver. More like his inept command thought it'd be a great idea to keep him employed.

I had a SSgt in one of my units that turned out to be narcoleptic. Dude would pass the gently caress out anytime he was sitting down not doing anything.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tankers should carry Rossi Ranch Hands in .357 since everyone knows those rounds punch basketball sized holes in people and travel so fast they actually go back in time.

If that isn't enough for you, imagine how confused the enemy would be if you pop out of a tank and start engaging them with something that looks like a Red Ryder BB gun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I spend most of my days on ranges and I still get nervous watching guys use the MK-19 round extractor on cheeto puff rounds. I have never had to use it on HEDP but I imagine that'd be an interesting situation. I don't give a poo poo what anyone says about arming distance. The round is supposed to fire when the firing pin hits the primer too.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Asehujiko posted:

Civilian here, how exactly is that not leaving anything that vaguely looks like equipment behind supposed to work in a high intensity conflict? Hold half the army in reserve at all times to be combat garbage collectors for the other half?

It doesn't work. See the trail of vehicles we left on Highway 1 in OIF 1. If it stopped working and couldn't be towed we dropped thermite on the engine block and took everything off it we could before leaving it on the side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I really want to read the essay he wrote.

My favorite part is how this dude did an interview with the Army Times and said that he was upset that his fish thought all of this was hilarious because it was really serious.