Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I had a Chief that was so dumb that I can't even recall anecdotes because it causes my body to twitch uncontrollably with rage.

I think he was rated twice (MM and something else......CS maybe?) before he became an FC and somehow fluked into getting picked up for Chief while he was in C School before deploying. oh wait there goes the twitching again

I managed to talk some sense into my division officer and he got his rear end sent to the mess decks, where he eventually had a break down and got flown back to Everett mid deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MancXVI posted:

Something about that sounds familiar. Did he happen to use his government travel card to get shithoused at Tulalip?

I always tried to find confirmation of this (the story that we all knew is that he ended up getting arrested after jumping into the fountain), so I just hold it as urban rumor.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SentSix posted:

Lets page way back in history to when the United States most recently decided to invade the nation of Haiti. To do so it embarked and entire brigade of light infantry with their aviation assets onto the USS Eisenhower. Of course, there was no time to give the Army folks any sort of training on naval customs or courtesy or most importantly, rank structure.

Cue the following discussion in the CVIC between a newly promoted Army Sergeant and a navy gentleman in khakis.

Army: *fidgeting with copier* WTF is wrong with this loving thing?!?
Navy: Having a problem there son? *slurps coffee from a tub size cup*
Army: Son? And just who the gently caress are you calling son there slim?
Navy: Ha! Who do you think you are son?
Army: A guy that is about to tell your fat rear end to fix this loving device so I can prepare for my brief.
Navy: *grabs anchor-thingy on his collar* Do you know what this is?!
Army: Does it qualify you to unfuck this piece of poo poo copier?

What followed was an Army S-2 grabbing his NCO by the scruff of the neck and saying "Do you have any idea the depth of poo poo you are in?!" and an hour of joint diplomacy.

The idiot is me.

In an emote: :chiefsay:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SentSix posted:

In all fairness, he turned out to be a pretty cool guy and helped us out tremendously over the next few days. That said, I did have to grovel like a bitch for a good 15 minutes. Navy SNCO's are a motherfucker.

That emote was created not because the majority of Navy SNCO's are cool dudes that do good work and are worthy of your respect. Your interaction represents .1% of the active E7-E9 community.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Beria posted:

I heard of one on my first deployment on a small boy in our strike group. This girl, an OS, just went missing, then I guess they found her a day or two later in the water. They had to fly her off our boat. It was some really sad poo poo.

I was on watch in CDC when that happened. It was all very :smith: to see unfold. It was also one of the two times that the CO came into CDC in the 4 and a half years I was on the ship during normal operations.

Also, Nerdfest, that story rules. Wow.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Regarding going overboard, I heard carriers lose someone into the drink at least once every deployment, although it's kept quiet. One guy told me a story of three dudes playing grabass on a plane elevator and going over, perfect sunny and calm conditions but a complete fluke, one guy drowns immediately, one goes to sharks and one they just never found. Boat made up a story for the families about how they were swept over in stormy weather.

Another story I heard was of flight ops on a new carrier (probably Lincoln) where no one knew what they were doing, and some guy missing a digit on the steam catapault calculation for a loaded up F-18 and just sort of lazily dumping it off the front. There's some away call made on this case where the throttlemen go ahead flank on the screws on one side and back emergency on the other, to pivot the ship away from the crash, but this also got botched, both sides went flank, and they just roared right over this guy. Couldn't find a piece of plane or pilot bigger than the palm of your hand.

Submarines generally don't have things like nets, guardrails, etc and you rarely wear a vest or even anything high-vis, glowsticks etc except for line handling in/near port. But you do get harnesses that will break your back and beat you against the sail a few times before dropping you in the drink. I nearly went over the side when we ran aground, I luckily got an arm around the nav ID mast and held on.

Regarding 1), there is no way the rate is anywhere near that high. We had exactly 2 man overboards in the nearly 5 years I was on that ship. The first was an MH-60 going down off the coast of San Diego during first phase of work ups in....2007 I think it was. All members of the flight survived. The second was for the story that Beria was telling earlier which was a suicide (and not on the carrier anyways). That turned into a massive multi-ship manhunt spanning several thousand square miles of ocean. And there is no sweeping anything high profile under the rug on a ship with 5000 people. The rumor mill starts going immediately after a high profile event and the news gets off the ship probably within a day or two. There is no way a chain of command would default to gross cover up when it could be easier explained "oh, well they were loving around on the aircraft elevator, better put that one in a safety video".

I think the one Beria was talking about was in Navy Times within 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Isentropy posted:

Alternatively, members of the military: capitalist imperalist thugs or exploited members of the proletariat?

......Both?