Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I showed up to my first assignment at Luke back in 2002 all full of excitement and vigor and pride in the Air Force, ready to do my awesome job of network switching and crypto routing systems or whatever the hell we were called. Then I found out I was working on MCE/TAOMs which are forward air-control vans and very much on the Atari/Apple IIe end of the network/computing spectrum.

Whatever, the shop was cool and there were plenty of cool guys to work with, including DBZFAN1. This guy was huge, barely ever in regs, failing PT tests back when they were still bike-tests and who's only civie clothes included multiple button-down DBZ shirts. But as a young, dumb, Airman he was a Mentor and in charge of a lot of the new guys' (Four of us from the same class/time) upgrade training.

Over time we witnessed a few of his troubleshooting skill classics such as 'Main computer's not working, power down whole van at the Power Unit then back on like a light switch' or 'Serial cables that connect externally to van won't seat correctly, use a hammer' but nothing will top the Great Swap of 2002.

There are four operator positions inside the TAOM, and (back in the day) they all were powered by 10k, 30k, $100k+ huge fuckoff circuit cards located in each position. One day position #1 starts having problems with it's (Three color!) CRT, not drawing tracks right, looking all kinds of hosed up. This is the 'Live van', the one van we needed up to run 'Sorties' as the other vans were used for training and could deal with a down position once and awhile. So it was kind of urgent we get it back up. Everybody else was either busy or off somewhere being invisible so DBZ and by buddy from Tech School get picked to go TS.

Two hours of troubleshooting pass, just DBZ and Buddy locked in the van. Finally one of our SSgts starts to get curious and heads out to the pad to check up on them. Five minutes pass and he's suddenly back in the shop, ashen faced as he heads to our back office where the NCOs sit and closes the door. A little bit after the two Airmen come back in looking sheepish and sit at our meeting table not saying a word as the back office erupts in shouting between the NCOS.

They suddenly all run out and head to the van and as they leave SSgt Curious grabs DBZ out with him. Buddy then starts to tell us the tale of Troubleshooting. Apparently with all power applied, DBZ had him pull the card bay out of position #1 out (This is ok, they slide out and have idiot lights on the side to help T/S), then the card bay on position #2 (Ok, sure, he wanted to compare cards?).

DBZ then has Buddy start pulling lit cards from P#1 and hot-swapping them with P#2. "Odd," DBZ says, "The fault followed to P#2 but yet it's still broke on P#1!"

Anyone with EE/Computer experience can tell you that if it's not explicitly hot-swappable, you're supposed to shut down power before doing any of this swapping (not to mention the safety risks as we were dealing with HV), so he basically just fried the previously good card from #2.

"Well, uh, we'll try the next card." And so on, until he had fried 25 cards in 3 operating positions ("Because maybe it was just P#2 not working right, let's try the cards in P#3!") totaling nearly 700k in damages.

Luckily four of us from tech school who had just arrived, Buddy included, had to go to formal MCE training the next month so we missed all the fallout, but DBZ didn't lose rank or have to pay for anything. Apparently it was decided that the ACs (ECUs) that keep the vans cool had tripped and a critical overheat situation burned 25 cards in 3 positions but not the 4th, as DBZ wasn't fully qualified to be leading the T/Sing and our NCOs were terrified of it coming back on them.

Fake edit: gently caress that's a lot of words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

There was that series of pics in i want to say South America that was caught on Google Street View with two ladies on the side of the road, the Google car passes, then some SUV behind the car pulls over and picks them up.

It's good to see that chivalry isn't dead!

Couldn't find those pics, but did find this nice compilation on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--h0XN6Iy4

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I was an IMPAC holder last time, and they bumped me to the 30k limit card. I fulfilled 2 orders because they forgot I had it and I sure as poo poo didn't advertise.

That card stayed in a lockbox because I'm not an idiot.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well the two yahoos who kicked off the latest Japan curfews just had all their charges dropped according to Stripes

So I guess it's USFJ's knee-jerking curfew that's the idiot in this case?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Office Space should have been a movie about Air Force comm. Just make everyone wear shifty uniforms and it's pretty much spot on.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

So a couple of idiots went to the waterpark this weekend in Korea. And got headlines right before Korean elections. Army strong: http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=158257

nullscan
May 28, 2004

As a warrior airman I only drove one at the CAOC in the Deid, making midnight chow runs. Uparmored Humvees handle like pigs and I can't imagine actually living out of one.

Drove the poo poo out of 5 tons with the ACS squadron, usually pulling a TAOM in Phoenix rush hour traffic when we "deployed" to Tempe for the sister guard unit's exercises. I imagine it's about the same as driving in Fallujah.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Osan is having a GO1 weekend thanks to a shitton of ARIs, underage drinkers, and a DUI. Japan rules here we come.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I've got a new one for yall.

Two weekends ago Usfk went dry for a weekend, GO1 as a stand down to think about all the assholes loving it up.

Apparently since you couldn't buy booze anywhere, and three days was too long to go sober for a comm troop (CST helpdesker), a group of geniuses decided to go robotrippin. Bought 4 bottles of robotussin and Gatorade, proceeded to party.

Well apparently they made it known, so Monday morning word gets back to leadership and everyone rolls over except the one legitimate alcoholic who instigated it. He keeps denying his problem despite many "If you volunteer to go to ADAPT it won't be as bad" warnings. He somehow thought no one has any proof.

So guess what, commanders can apparently pull your purchasing history from DECCA.

He's slated for happy fun Correctional Custody ADAPT at Yongsan now. With typical USFK kneejerking I'm waiting for robotussin to be off limits.

Fly High.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

buttplug posted:

Only USAF went dry by order of the 7th AF CDR. This wasn't USFK-wide.

And you will not find a single Korean market that isn't going to sell you beer or booze regardless of GO 1 being in effect. So, yea, this was just a group of idiots being idiots.

Also, commanders can't pull *what* you bought from the commissary, because the system doesn't track that. It tracks *how much* you spent at the commissary and how much you purchased against your alcohol rations. The system is PIMS-K and anybody with a CAC can log in and use it.

https://pimsk.korea.army.mil/

True, but they wound up getting the cops involved. So that's maybe how they pulled the records. My bad.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Replace stripper with juicy and the stories are innumerable.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I love keeping coworkers on FB for that poo poo. Especially the ones that share accounts and post passive aggressively to each other in public.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Guys, I'm concerned that we are committing hate crimes :

http://militaryoneclick.com/the-dependapotamus-hunter/

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Godholio posted:

It's really bizarre how bad they are at it. I was an equipment custodian for like six items...a couple of STEs (secure telephones that work by inserting an encryption card, the card is the really important part not the phone) and a TACLANE (sort of like a modem for the classified internet), that kind of stuff. No actual crypto. But somewhere around 2009 we found a loving STU-3. That's the 80s/90s secure phone. The base supply folks were absolutely baffled and it wasn't until I broke it down into a 3 minute version of "hey we found a STU-goddamned-3 that nobody here has ever signed for" that they finally understood the words that were coming out of my mouth and decided to do something about it. Which meant they wanted to blame it on me, which I immediately called bullshit on and threatened to hang up and call the IG if that poo poo ever came up again. I dropped it off at their office and that was the end of it.

I have two in my shop. I have been in this same shop for 3 years. 3 attempts at ROSes have been made since they won't let us FOB it. I am PCSing next month and those loving STUs will probably still be there when I go back to that shop in a few years as a contractor.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I don't know if it's a recent thing or what, but there have been way too many people into crazy photography poo poo to where I've learned by osmosis far too much about lenses, bodies, exposure lengths, and developing methods.

I guess it's just another thing for Joe to throw his paycheck at instead of rimz or tactical gear.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Our NCOIC had this lovely 90s Mustang he wouldn't shut up about despite being the smaller engine of the line, and an automatic. But his parking brake sucked so it was simple to push it around anywhere we wanted to. Or watch from a house party as his mustang slowly rolled down the hill he parked on to hop a curb into the bushes. Fun times.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Psht, posers, I still remember going to those first Killary and the Roddamns shows back in the 90's.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Somebody poisoned the water hole!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Other than basic, I guess the night in the communal shower room of the massagie joint in Gangnam was the only times that I was subjected to other dongs. :airforce:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Mildly better than my stinky roommate who never paid rent and once I kicked him out, he wound up getting picked up by immigration for over staying his visa in Korea.

Rip you dumb bastard.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Hey guys, don't gently caress other military. Especially if they're married.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/6ic456/my_last_day_in_the_usaf_was_15_june_after_16/

TLDR : dude hosed 2 staffs, busted from Master to staff because they said it was rape. Eventually kicked out, now he's airing all the dirty laundry about other people who were loving the Staffs.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Also I hate the Army made everyone write like a loving retard in NCOERs.

Air Force EPRs would destroy you. Every time I get mine back from upper leadership I don't have any idea what the gently caress I actually did.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

BigDave posted:

If this is still the Idiots Thread, the Air Force Academy is still full of idiots.

http://kdvr.com/2018/01/11/air-force-cadet-pleads-guilty-to-improper-photos-of-women/

Pshht, can't even get a gold medal at cubing : https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/persons/2013TAWA01

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Just ask him the color of the Camp Pendleton boathouse.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

A favorite saying I've picked up is "We're the #1 Air Force in the world, what the gently caress does #2 look like?" when some stupid poo poo happens.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Thanks Snowden/Manning!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Re:Fw:Re: Unit Morale Shirt design voting contest!

Spartans,

Our fresh out of tech school moto Airmen have worked hard to design these three horrible clipart designs and it's really making them sad that they're the only ones who have submitted votes on their atrocious designs. This is now a manditory vote or names will flow to the Commander and we will use next unit morale day as a training opportunity in Airmenship as we paint all the rocks in the Group Commander's parking lot. Due CYB.

V/r,
First Sergeant Tone Deaf

nullscan
May 28, 2004

What, no wedding under the palm tree?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

They 3↑44'd down.

Wasn't there one about somebody taking over a new shop and finding a bunch of off-the-books crypto poo poo, shoving it back in whatever dark corner of hell it came from, and immediately putting in for a transfer?

Not me, but I was running a comsec office that had 2 numbered accounts at one point.

Oops, I mean 3, the one everyone forgot about and my predecessor didn't mention because he didn't know where all the poo poo was so he just turned over the 2 accounts and pcsed.

Took almost my whole two years there getting that sorted out without going to jail, just some marked down evals.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well at least my current leadership is realistic and like "We know you all worked on the same poo poo, just copy and paste bullets for evals once they're get approved".

Saves time when you're doing 15 evals in the same month.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah, like, pretty sure handing out towels at the gym as a Services Airman would pay better and be less lovely than this CCC thing.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

A $6,000 dog park seems like a really stupid reason to wreck your career.

My group commander now lives in that unit. I had to go up there to set up his STE and walked through the "dog park" to get to his front door. It really is inconvenient. So stupid to lose your career over like 5 square yards of dog running space.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6yq7LFfeg

nullscan
May 28, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

The people who wind up staying often tend towards institutionalized, miserable, or both.

Rude, I'm right here man.

Although being able to sneak out 8+ years consecutively in Korea has made it easier to deal with. Almost to retirement and shamming as a contractor here!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Sounds like all our cyber warriors need to innovate the new paradigm while 3D printing secure source solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghxZzWVO7A