Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The first game was one of the best RPGs of that year.

Totally Donating to this when I get some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Are you going to use terrible JRPG music? The last game made me legit like Eternity from blue dragon.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

blackflare posted:

I would as well, nothing would top that. Except having barkley endorse the game.

Speaking of which, does barkley actually know the first game exists?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

nippon nifties posted:

That sounds like a Question which has been Frequently Asked

How much do you think it would take to get Charles in on this?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope they put Barkley in as a super secret almost impossible boss.

[e] When you fight him the normal battle theme for the first game plays.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah if I tried to back you any harder I'd make you quadriplegic. It's a good time to be a RPG player.

I can't wait for all these projects I backed on kick starter to start rolling out at the same time :allears:.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I envisioned the Barkley sequel as a game called Slam Spirit Summoners where you allied with the ghosts of ballers past to dunk your enemies into oblivion.

So basically Final Fantasy 10 with basketball players.

Hoops is titus, who will be Yuna?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So they can't reference real life basket ball players anymore :(?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Technique posted:

Welp, the new stretch goals have convinced me to up my pledge to 40 bucks.

e: Also, you should really try to license Eternity for a ridiculous stretch goal.

I would double my pledge if this was on the table.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Novasol posted:

The time, effort, and money would be much better spent just getting it on Steam, where you will likely make money hand over fist. Steam is also big on advertising games that work on Mac (and soon, Linux), so the infrastructure will be there for the ports, too.

Yeah, as much as I would love to play Barkley 2 on the go, I feel like I would much rather have those resources go to more content.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

notZaar posted:

Licensing even one of those songs would probably cost all the potential Kickstart income times ten. Seriously that poo poo is incredibly expensive.

Really? It would be hilarious if the original theme song to a bad 16 year old movie was super expensive to license.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I don't know how much it would actually cost, but from the way thing are going, it looks like you guys might actually end up with enough money to reasonably license Space Jam.

Please make that a new stretch goal.

They already got the artist who made the original song right? can they just license the instrumentals and do a remix related to the game?

[e] Bonus points if the can get someone in Japan to do vocals in english.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would unironically pay 60 bucks for a Barkley: Gaiden or Barkley 2 board game. gently caress, little Jimmy played the Chaos Dunk, everyone discard 3 Slam cards and go back to start :negative:

I would buy a fantasy strategy baseketball game where your dudes had zabers and chaos dunks a'la blood bowl

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Donated!

We totally have to get to 200,000 now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

The last two of these got stuck near the end of the last page. Reposted so Chef Boyardee doesn't miss them.

Is it possible to license only the instrumental part of a song? if so it must be cheaper, so a remix about the game would be awesome.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Geight posted:

I think they're out of money from putting far too much into the homestuck game kickstarter, but one can hope.

I dunno, with the amount of money they dumped in that joke kickstarter they would gladly dump money in anything Hussie says.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

If it didn't cost a buttload in royalties, I'd hope to hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" whenever you won. Dollar bills ruin everything, jeez.:smith:

I'm going to miss the best boss theme in the world. I was seriously looking forwards to boss fights just to hear it (it was before I knew it was from blue dragon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Why was eternity picked for the boss theme in Barkley 1?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

more importantly, is it canon?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh man if this game comes out in 2015 and it's gonna face some stiff competition! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ThZPt4P2A```````````````

This is like a trailer for a game that's out in 2002

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fooley posted:

On the sick cheevo front you could always make a bunch of bizarre requirements. Or do like the Stanley Parable guy and keep changing what you need to arbitrary stuff.

Off topic but I don't get Greenlight. Is it supposed to be a cheaper/easier way for indie people to get their stuff on? I see a lot of games that you'd think would be able to just throw whatever the usual amount is to get listed.

From what I hear it used to be pretty hard for a indie outfit without a publisher to get on steam (whether they need one or not). Greenlight was created to let the community decide if a game can get on steam or not. It's just that a major chunk of indie games are poo poo and the community will let pretty much anything in no matter how bad or unfinished if you promise enough stuff or say 'like minecraft/day z' a bunch.

Greenlight started out with a noble goal I guess but holy poo poo, just look at the approved titles

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=pending&p=1

It's either anime,zombies, clones, ios app ports, or platformers. Now imagine a huge backlog of samey games no one wants clogging up steam and you pretty much have an idea what greenlight did.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 5, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is the wizard going to tokyo too? either way it's hilarious how Barkley is going full circle.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Will sweet Georgia brown be in this?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow the wizard is the first thing I ever heard of that made me regret not being able to go to a con.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

All this could be prevented with just a monthly update. Like, most people would have probably been ok if the got something like the gun thing talking about stuff in the game ever so often. Not only is there 0 information they didn’t even finish all of those updates.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So you're saying they're only going to beat the FF7 remake by four years at most?

It’s pretty funny how close we are to the “joke” release date of 2023. Like, it’s already been 5 years since the initial release of 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope it was that kind of behavior that stopped work on the giga maidens game.

Dude was just before his time. There’s no way he wouldn’t make $15000 a month on patreon even with no actual game making skills.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder if it’s even possible that barkley 2 will come out this year.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo Barkley 2 is going epic exclusive too?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hiratio posted:

Chef vanished from the project 2 1/2 years ago. I've tried contacting him multiple times and haven't received a response. Bort left around the same time to be a family man.

The Kickstarter was not necessary, especially in hindsight. The majority of work on this game was unpaid. Myself, Bort, and Chef are the original Barkley 1 creators. I did not join the Kickstarter with them because I was aware of the many problems that could (and did) arise.

I was asked to join the project 3 years after the KS when the project had little money and was in shambles. I was committed to trying to finish the game but it was consistently set back by horrible management and I ended up quitting. The person who owns ToG and is running it now had nothing to do with Barkley 1 and has zero game dev experience. He is the ToG PR guy.

When I quit, Lazrool also quit. We were the only two remaining who understood the technical inner workings of this game. Laz worked on this project nearly from the start, pro bono, and was tired of the nonsense as well.

There is no incentive for "ToG" or anyone attached to the KS to talk about this debacle.

This sucks. I talked poo poo but I didn’t think the game was actually dead.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Who was in charge of the kickstarter updates? It was alway pretty funny that tog promised to communicate more by putting out a series detailing the different gun types and only got to entry 2.

It’s also pretty funny for all the places for Barkley 2 to die it would be here, the thread that’s been solely never ever jokes for years.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

that would be kind of amazing if someone made barkley 3 in rpgmaker and its all just quotes from the dev of barkley 2

How does the rights for something like this work? Could the original devs just make a gamemaker Barkley 3 without any middlemen without getting sued?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

LISA is a good game, and I rarely enjoy RPG. It’s too bad that the DLC follow-up seems like it was badly designed and sort of compromises the quality if the original game by overexplaining and expanding the story in uninteresting ways.

Funnily enough you probably feel that way about the dlc because it was a kickstarter stretch goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

God I hope the second part of the final fantasy remake comes out before then.